• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom, Jun Takeuchi Takes Over [Update 2: Ono On Impact P#446]

Kittonwy

Banned
Kuraudo said:
Sounds more like he just didn't believe he was up to the job anymore.

Do you seriously believe this? It's more likely either 1) he's getting his powers stripped by the higher-ups because the current IPs are going downhill and he's lost some sort of power struggle, or 2) he's salivating at the idea of "starting your own studio, poach your former employer for talent, get some ridiculous 'retain IP deal' with a big third-party publisher = profit".

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Capcom/Inafune have been my favorite gaming company/designer ever since I played Megaman 2 and Dead Rising is easily one of my favorite games this gen. I'm really sad that they didn't see eye-to-eye on things and that he's leaving the company.

WTF is up with the higher ups at Capcom? Why can't they keep any of their people?

Ono will be next.

miladesn said:
Welp, I'll be very curious to read the next interview in which he talks about the creative direction he wants to take Capcom in. I don't really consider Takeuchi an improvement, but (a) it's not like I had any specific ideas of who else ought to take over, and (b) it's not like it was possibly going to be anyone else.

jett

D-Member
Baron Aloha said:
Capcom/Inafune have been my favorite gaming company/designer ever since I played Megaman 2 and Dead Rising is easily one of my favorite games this gen. I'm really sad that they didn't see eye-to-eye on things and that he's leaving the company.

WTF is up with the higher ups at Capcom? Why can't they keep any of their people?

Ono will be next.

Don't worry too much about it as Inafune had very little to do if anything at all with Mega Man 2.

Kuraudo

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Do you seriously believe this? It's more likely either 1) he's getting his powers stripped by the higher-ups because the current IPs are going downhill and he's lost some sort of power struggle, or 2) he's salivating at the idea of "starting your own studio, poach your former employer for talent, get some ridiculous 'retain IP deal' with a big third-party publisher = profit".

Not really, I was just interpreting what he said. There was nothing in his words to suggest he's been stripped of power until he finally quit. Truth is, we'll never know what's been going on at Capcom to spark this move and looking for clues in a carefully prepared statement isn't going to enlighten us.

Mael

jett said:
Hey, if it means that Takeushit will step down from actual game design this is only good news.

:lol

you really don't want to change your tag!

seriously that's good news, I mean at least Capcom's team won't be thrown under the bus anymore :/

jett said:
Hey, if it means that Takeushit will step down from actual game design this is only good news.
My biggest hope for Takeuchi is that he heavily promotes MT Framework and is more willing to do what's necessary (translation of documentation and comments) to license it out to the same folks that they're outsourcing their franchises to. If not now, then certainly with MT Framework 3.0 (or whatever) for next-gen consoles. That engine is his baby, after all, and it's a pretty fucking good one.

But yeah, I'm not exactly a fan of his in terms of game design, outside of Onimusha.

BiggNife

Man, I didn't realize how bitter some of you guys are about Inafune's recent comments

Regardless of some of the crazy things he's said, he created one of my favorite characters and helped design one of my favorite games of all time (Megaman X), so I can't hate him. I hope he finds a job he can actually enjoy.

As for Jun Takeuchi taking over... eugh. I hope this doesn't mean that every Capcom game is only going to be fun during co-op now.

PowderedToast

i've always liked inafune, his honesty (especially recently) was refreshing. good luck to him.

bit worried about capcom now, takeuchi is...eh. then again being a ceo is a completely different thing.

I like Jun Takeuchi, he is a cool, honest guy, but I don't know if he is capable for the job, time will tell. Under the bus anyway.

So uhhh...

Megaman Legends 3?

Anyways, it's kinda sad to see him go. I've been messing around with Lost Planet 2 on PC and I'm having a really fun time with it.

God speed Inafune. I hope you found a great company... Or at least join Platinum.

Acosta

My opinion is that Inafune was just tired of the board in Capcom and their decision making processm it seemed like every decision, even the most logical or friendly users, faced an intense debate from the board and required a lot of effort to be green-lighted. His sentence: " I've lost the authority to evaluate my subordinates and the qualification to speak about my dreams." seems quite clear.

Best of luck to him, hopefully he will still creating. I don't care what some members of gaf think, Inafune has done great thinks and provided me with some really amazing games. Capcom is not the same without him.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kuraudo said:
Not really, I was just interpreting what he said. There was nothing in his words to suggest he's been stripped of power until he finally quit. Truth is, we'll never know what's been going on at Capcom to spark this move and looking for clues in a carefully prepared statement isn't going to enlighten us.

If he tells you he's quitting Capcom to help lepers in calcutta would you fucking believe him?

It's not that difficult to figure out why someone who is currently at the top of the food chain on the game development side would feel the need to leave the company he has worked for the last 23 years, either he feels he can make more money somewhere else or he's being forced out.

Acosta said:
My opinion is that Inafune was just tired of the board in Capcom and their decision making processm it seemed like every decision, even the most logical or friendly users, faced an intense debate from the board and required a lot of effort to be green-lighted. His sentence: " I've lost the authority to evaluate my subordinates and the qualification to speak about my dreams." seems quite clear.
Best of luck to him, hopefully he will still creating. I don't care what some members of gaf think, Inafune has done great thinks and provided me with some really amazing games. Capcom is not the same without him.

He's the head of R&D, if anyone is tasked with greenlighting projects, it would be him.

It looks like they're taking executive powers away from him, and he ain't too happy about it.
Indifferent2.gif

hamchan

Yeah, the man just recently brought us Dead Rising 2 and Legends 3 so this extra sucks now. He got so much hate on GAF too but let's see what everyone will think about Capcom now that he's gone.

[Nintex]

Takeuchi replaces him... he had a blueprint(Resident Evil 4) to improve on and he blew it, he had a chance to make Lost Planet an awesome franchise and he fucked up that as well. Capcom will probably merge with Namco Bandai soon.

Chakan

Can we get a new MMX now?

No more Lost Planet...please.

I wish japanese developers would be more like western ones in this matter. They usually do what the consumers ask, the japanese ones don't. Guess that's one of the reasons the japanese gaming market is not as good as it used to be.

Kuraudo

Banned
Kittonwy said:
If he tells you he's quitting Capcom to help lepers in calcutta would you fucking believe him?

It's not that difficult to figure out why someone who is currently at the top of the food chain on the game development side would feel the need to leave the company he has worked for the last 23 years, either he feels he can make more money somewhere else or he's being forced out.

Dude, I agree with you. My initial response was to someone attempting to decipher the press release for proof that he'd been forced out. I'm not saying I believe what he said in the statement (although leaving a company due to it being detrimental to one's emotional health is a pretty valid reason, especially when he has publicly stated his unhappiness there in the past), just that I don't think there's anything in the statement to suggest other reasons for his departure.

Kittonwy

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Takeuchi replaces him... he had a blueprint(Resident Evil 4) to improve on and he blew it, he had a chance to make Lost Planet an awesome franchise and he fucked up that as well. Capcom will probably merge with Namco Bandai soon.

I can't imagine how shitty the product of that merger would be.

GhaleonQ

Kittonwy said:
I can't imagine how shitty the product of that merger would be.

*looks at Namco X Capcom* Well, the aesthetics were awesome! Actually, an underwhelming game with a fantastic premise, overcomplicated mechanics, and botched fanservice that never made it out of Japan WOULD probably be the archetypal Namco-Capcom game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The carnival of hate for Inafune is kind of pathetic. While the man became overly negative and emo in the last couple of years, GAF nonetheless blindly twisted his words around to indict him as an idiot. Inafune's comments about the Japanese development community are true - in a broad sense. Fanboys sputtered because of an implied insult to the minority of Japanese developers who are turning out quality product. But in the big picture, Japan is in the hole.

Inafune's one true epic error in judgement may have been the DmC debacle - which, if scuttlebut holds true, may have actually come about from a moron at Capcom USA taking advantage of Inafune's loss of faith in Japanese development.

But thanks to that, tons of tons of butthurt and whining fans can spin up a tale of Inafune's utter incompetence and how he's Capcom's Yuji Naka. Inafune accomplished more in his career at Capcom than guys like Naka ever did or could in theirs.

Instead of taking this news as an excuse for a vindictive circle jerk, people should snap out of it and realize it /is/ something that had to happen, but for the most part, it's just a shame that Inafune got to this point.

Given his mindset these days, it's entirely possible Inafune was no longer capable of dealing with a company with the size and entrenched nature of Capcom. Personally, I suspect his comments bemoaning the success of western developers were rooted partially in frustration with a feeling he couldn't get anything done himself. If Inafune moves to another company, perhaps a small developer that is more agile and eclectic than Capcom, he might become refreshed if he can experience some success that satisfies him.

WillyFive

RiverBed said:
Who the heck is that guy and why is he posted a lot? I thought I saw him in a Google service add or something.

He is M. Night Shyamalan. He is a movie director that is known for making a huge plot twist at the end of his movies. When someone posts his picture, it means that whatever context of it is a twist.

This is a glorious day, and a victory to all level-headed appreciators of the industry and the art form.
Guess the criticism got to him and his megalomaniac delusional ways destroyed him. Good riddance, you hack con-artist liar Inafune.
It's kind of depressing reading though this news on other sites that are filled with more...casual type people, and are all sad and claiming the industry just "lost a genius and legend".:lol
All the lies and getting himself up there on faux-titles really fooled a lot of people.

Let's hope the replacement has common sense.

graywolf323 said:
oh and can we have a fixed DmC now? :p

DmC will now be canceled and development will resume on DMC5, to be launched with PS4.
Right Capcom?!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kaijima said:
The carnival of hate for Inafune is kind of pathetic. While the man became overly negative and emo in the last couple of years, GAF nonetheless blindly twisted his words around to indict him as an idiot. Inafune's comments about the Japanese development community are true - in a broad sense. Fanboys sputtered because of an implied insult to the minority of Japanese developers who are turning out quality product. But in the big picture, Japan is in the hole.

Inafune's one true epic error in judgement may have been the DmC debacle - which, if scuttlebut holds true, may have actually come about from a moron at Capcom USA taking advantage of Inafune's loss of faith in Japanese development.

But thanks to that, tons of tons of butthurt and whining fans can spin up a tale of Inafune's utter incompetence and how he's Capcom's Yuji Naka. Inafune accomplished more in his career at Capcom than guys like Naka ever did or could in theirs.

Instead of taking this news as an excuse for a vindictive circle jerk, people should snap out of it and realize it /is/ something that had to happen, but for the most part, it's just a shame that Inafune got to this point.

Given his mindset these days, it's entirely possible Inafune was no longer capable of dealing with a company with the size and entrenched nature of Capcom. Personally, I suspect his comments bemoaning the success of western developers were rooted partially in frustration with a feeling he couldn't get anything done himself. If Inafune moves to another company, perhaps a small developer that is more agile and eclectic than Capcom, he might become refreshed if he can experience some success that satisfies him.
Agreed. Seeing how frustrated he seemed to be paints some of his comments in a different light.

Top Bottom