• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: PCPowerPlay to reveal Rome 2: Total War on July 18

Quixzlizx

Fuck yeah, I sunk a ton of hours into R:tW. Love the time period.

Am I the only one that plays these games without actually fighting the battles? I am AWFUL at large scale RTS, so I always just auto resolve combat.

I'm usually terrible at RTS games, but I like the battles in Total War. Although it got annoying in the first game when the Gauls would endlessly suicide two-squad "armies" into my legions every other turn instead of just waiting until they had a decent invasion force.

lvGLe.jpg
These soldiers have lower poly count that Shogun 2's, and looks like they don't even have normal mapping. Is that a screen of the original Rome: Total war?

for comparison:

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I'm noticing a pattern here. Can't wait for Medieval 3 and 4.

Enosh

shogun 2 was great from a gameplay perspective, but I got really sick of fighting the same swordsmen and the same archers and the same cavalry when going up against every single god damn faction

it simply isn't that great of a setting due to the cultural unity of Japan

I'm noticing a pattern here. Can't wait for Medieval 3 and 4.

Yes! I've enjoyed all of the Total War games but Medieval is probably my favorite just for the period of history and variety it can bring.

Good times for strategy games though- between Rome 2 and Company of Heroes 2 and XCOM.

... there are no words. I have been waiting for this day for most of my life. Im ready to sink thousands of hours into this like I did the first.

Kabouter

Awesome, really looking forward to a new Rome: Total War. Heard Shogun 2 was great, but that setting doesn't appeal to me all that much, Ancient Rome does far more.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I can hear the rumbles of war happening again...

Shogun 2 was great. A few personal problems with it (mostly my own lofty expectations of how diplomacy/economy/etc should run), but the battles were often brilliant and tested my mettle in some incredible ways.

Looking forward to going back in to the past again.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
YESSSSS

I played this game for hours on end as a kid and was always praying for an updated sequel.

I'm surprised how few games there are which ape the TW formula. I think there were a couple around the time Rome came out, but other than that CA haven't had much competition.

I am sure it's true, and the era has a lot of potential. Expansions in ancient Greece must be considered confirmed immediately after the announcement.

I want a big fucking map like RTR and EB had, at least 30 factions, and a return of the descr_strat cheat. Please.

I am sure it's true, and the era has a lot of potential. Expansions in ancient Greece must be considered confirmed immediately after the announcement.

I want a big fucking map like RTR and EB had, at least 30 factions, and a return of the descr_strat cheat. Please.

You can have all that and an overwhelmed AI that doesn't have a clue what to do on the map and in the battles as well. And custom multiplayer rules barely enforced by the community to try to enforce balance. Total War!

Jintor

Man, you know, I've had that issue for like a week earlier than it was on shelves and I completely glossed over the fact that a game like TW:R2 wasn't actually announced yet.

Sober

Rome is my favorite in the series by a mile. Just fix up some of the obvious historical inaccuracies with the map and I'll be set.

Please permit the Europa Barbaborum guys to mod this immediately so I can find it playable, thanks.

It'll be playable and stuff, it's just that there are legions more of Roman military nerds that come out of the woodwork when stuff like this comes out. Even Paradox sometimes has to sacrifice some historical accuracy for gameplay.

This will be awesome no matter what. At least I hope CA knows to stick to eras with formation fighting (i.e. stop before around WW1). Maybe Relic will be able to figure out a WW1 RTS.

It'll be playable and stuff, it's just that there are legions more of Roman military nerds that come out of the woodwork when stuff like this comes out. Even Paradox sometimes has to sacrifice some historical accuracy for gameplay.

We believe in you, Darth Vader.

Atrus

Gold Member
Shogun 2 and Empire sucked, so hopefully this will bring the style back toward Medieval 2 and Rome: TW. With mods I've made grand centuries long empires with epic lore, so I hope to return to it.

Strangely I couldn't get into the original Rome: Total War yet I played and enjoyed all the others, including the original Shogun. But I'm not going to pass up on Rome 2. Looking forward to it! Should have a new computer by then.

Aaron

Will they finally revamp the strategy layer? It's been basically unchanged since Rome, and it's never been very good.

GopherD

Rome TW was the first time I spent hundreds of hours trying to mod a game. By Ravens Beard CA, make it moddable from the get go and I shall do it again...

Shogun 2 and Empire sucked, so hopefully this will bring the style back toward Medieval 2 and Rome: TW. With mods I've made grand centuries long empires with epic lore, so I hope to return to it.

Very well made argument apart from the fact that Shogun 2 was much better than Medieval 2 in every way.

Kem0sabe

I hope the flesh out the political component more this time. More Senate activity, more events, greater family involvement.

Taffer

Gunpowder combat is so dull, I want to charge at the bastards. Rome & Medieval 2 had fantastic music, Empire was so disappointing musically (I've only played the demo of Shogun 2 and don't recall hearing any music).
And remember this above all, our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are NOT ASHAMED!

Top Bottom