• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Music Details

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Zune is awesome. Downloading whatever I want and putting it on my phone is sweet. Listening to the new Killers as I write this.

I've never used Spotify so can someone who has give me a rundown on how this compares?

• Free streaming - I know Spotify has this.
  • Unlimited on-demand paid subscription - I know Spotify has this.
Does Spotify have the following?
  • Unlimited Downloads/Offline playback?
  • Purchasing MP3s?
  • Cloud storage for purchased content?
  • Music-match service like iTunes?
Anything else that Spotify does that is unique/interesting?

iavi

There's no 'purchasing' involved in Spotify.

Upgrading to Spotify Premium for $9.99~ a month allows you the first bulletpoint.

Zeppelin

There's no 'purchasing' involved in Spotify.

Upgrading to Spotify Premium for $9.99~ a month allows you the first bulletpoint.

You can buy individual tracks, but I've never understood why you'd want to do that.

Microsoft really should get Spotify on the Xbox. I have zero interest in investing in their own music service.

You can buy individual tracks, but I've never understood why you'd want to do that.

Microsoft really should get Spotify on the Xbox. I have zero interest in investing in their own music service.

Well I'm glad we cleared that up. 1 person says you can and one person says you can't.

I actually like owning music, not just renting it for streaming like Netflix til the point the music label/movie studio decides to pull it from the streaming catalog. Also the DRM-ed subscription tracks are probably restricted to only Spotify-capable devices.

maeh2k

Right now I think the confirmed platforms are just Microsoft ones, not sure if they will have streaming options to iOS and Android.

I hope they will. I believe it's really important for the service and for Microsoft as a whole to 'get' that users use all kinds of devices and offer their services everywhere instead of trying to lock customers in. Otherwise it doesn't look good for their transition to a service-oriented company.
Of course the apps don't have to all be released at the same time. They certainly can focus on their platforms first and get those done.

I hope they will. I believe it's really important for the service and for Microsoft as a whole to 'get' that users use all kinds of devices and offer their services everywhere instead of trying to lock customers in. Otherwise it doesn't look good for their transition to a service-oriented company.
Of course the apps don't have to all be released at the same time. They certainly can focus on their platforms first and get those done.

Strategically I would do something in-between like they do with Xbox Live on iOS and Android or Office 365.

Let them use the limited version with ad-supported streaming, cloud storage and music match services on iOS and Android. Let them see what their friends are listening to, but restrict the full top tier subscription service to the Windows devices.

Mitsurux

Ultimately, does anyone use their game console as a jukebox? It was something I tried back in 2006 but at this point aren't people pretty locked into using a phone/iPod and either wirelessly or physically connecting it to speakers?

I get that Windows Phones will use this, but the Xbox branding doesn't make much sense to me compared to video streaming services on a game console.

My 360 is setup to stream all of my Music from my Laptop (over wireless network), its great to use the feature for custom sound tracks etc.

Zune Pass was probably the most over looked (or so it seemed) feature of the Zune Service.. unlimited music downloads (while active memeber) plus each month the ability to earn credit to buy music...

If this new service offers oemthing similar it would be a very attractive choice...

*only available in the USA

lol I do not even know this for a fact but I just know it already

It's not that bad.

From the Windows Phone OT:

Zune Music Pass:
The Zune Music Pass subscription service offers unlimited music streaming and is available in the following countries:
USA ($9.99 per month)
Canada ($9.99)
Australia ($11.99)
UK, France, Italy, Spain (£8.99 / €9.99 per month)

I expect Xbox Music to be available there as well.

Lkr

i searched and this was the first thread, so here goes:
i started the trial today. i was very disappointed that it can't be used to run in the background while playing games on xbox. after the trial i will probably go back to spotify, because i can't find any reason to use this service instead

Top Bottom