• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Last night a buddy and I were playing duos. We dropped a few meters away from bunker (near crater). It was far enough away from the drop and the circle started on the other end of the map that we ended up being the only team to go there. We get pretty well geared up and find a jeep so we head west to find chicken dinners. We get into a shootout outside Pochinki and are now completely set for the end game. Of course, at that moment a plane drops a crate pretty close to our location so we get back in the jeep and make a break for it. As we approach the crate another team is already there looting it. So no problem, my buddy hits the gas to run them over. Welp, turns out that the crate was resting on top of a cliff. So, barely missing the first guy we couldn't stop in time and end up jumping the cliff and into the waters between the big and small island we go. Turns out, swimming to land takes forever and we both die outside of the circle trying to get to safety.

Such a fun and crazy experience.

The Flash

Banned
Alright so despite not being able to get a GMG discount code or it being on sale on Steam, I went ahead and bought it. Time to see if the hype is real or not.

I just died trying to run through one of those gaps in a chain link fence that looks exactly like a real gap but is a fake one that won't let you through.

-Deimos

Are the latest greenmangaming vouchers account-bound? If not, anyone have any spares?

edit: Seems like they are bound to accounts.

PC absolutely chugged when I tried this just now. Probably going to request a refund. Am I in new PC territory?

Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2 GB
8GB RAM

Burt

I was in this same boat the other day, R9 280 and an i5-2500k. Almost all lows and 720p to keep the framerate up. Upgraded the GPU and everything is great at 1080p now, so your CPU is probably fine. 1060 6GB would be the way to go I'd think, but if you live near a Microcenter:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/469212/GeForce_GTX_980_(Factory-Refurbished)_4GB_GDDR5_Video_Card

That's what I did, works great. It's a little more powerful than the 1060, a good bit cheaper, and the factory refurb seems good as new. I got that and 8 gigs of RAM for the price of most 1060s.

Might get a new GPU and some RAM next payday then! Keep thinking I'll be needing a new CPU soon, is it still fine then?

Edit: sound. I've already wasted a lot of money on toys this month but soon!

I fucking love this game. Things get so tense at the end, especially when there's just two of you remaining from a squad, left to duke it out with the opposing survivors. Just had a moment where me and a friend were in plain vision on top of a hill, literally shooting left and right together in succession. Miraculously wiped two teams before being pushed further by the circle and dying.

Movie level shit man, so so good. Was like this but in the fields:

7f1aba6f293d424d058251e359e5b3bb3d8a68d51b93177076a81fb6133ce63f.gif

jeffc919

How do I maintain 60fps at 1440p on a GTX 1080?

Try turning anti-aliasing and shadows down to medium or so. I have a 1080 and i7 7700k and I am pretty sure my average fps is well above 60 with everything else at high or ultra. Also leave your resolution scaling or whatever it is called at 100. Overall, my frame rates are good. It's the spikes that I notice. I think I always get one or two on the plane and when parachuting down. I'm guessing it has something to do with the draw distance and a ton of stuff coming into view all at once. Overall, the game runs well on my system 99.9% of the time.

Hey, my performance seems better. It is surely this, and not a placebo effect, that has lead to me to doing better today.

I even got two grenade kills in a single day, which is huge for me, and neither of them involved a building.

Poppy

friend and i have gotten a couple chicken dinners in duos, yesterday was pretty fun because i actually got several kills for once

first my friend died, he had the unlucky part where he ended up getting shot at first in a couple engagements before we cleaned up/revived. but him getting killed baited two people into dying to me, so that was nice. then i crawled through grass for the last 5-10 minutes in the final circles trying to determine when the last 2-3 groups were engaging each other so i could come in amid the confusion and wipe them, and it all worked out. feels good to kill multiple 2 man teams

also some kid called me racial epithets after i killed him over voice chat and told me i was dead to safe zone anyway

i killed his partner and managed to run from georgopol to the outskirts of Mylta on foot while in a lot of blue zone pain, but energy drinks and painkillers and my few meds kept me alive. mostly it was just to prove a point to myself but still, you can survive quite a long time on the initial blue zones

It's amazing how this game came right when KoTK started breaking 100k ran with the hype. Streamers carried it hard but it turned out so far at least to be a better game with a much more active development team. H1Z1 did'nt ever really seem to know what it wanted to be and shifted focus with the popularity of Battle Royale. The game runs like butter now but the shooting is not satisfying and a lot of things feel like the engine holds it back. This game seems like it has much more room to grow and the devs are putting good work into it.

I finally jumped in. As an H1Z1 vet we'll see how it goes. Plenty of chicken dinners under my belt in the other game.

Advice from vets? What should my tryhard graphic settings be for performance and visual clarity? Low or Very low on everything or?

PizzaFace

Banned
Finally got the game today, and I love it, but twice it's totally locked up my PC (game screen froze, music still playing but seemingly totally unable to exit) which forced me to do a restart. Early access I know, wouldn't mind crashes but I don't like needed to restart the PC...

Is this not a CPU bound game I keep reading? I might be able to stomach a new GPU and some RAM but a full rebuild I can't justify when there's house renovations I could be doing ha.

Requested a refund for now, should really be saving my cash anyway. Thanks all.

I also have an i5-3750K at stock speed, just got a 1060 yesterday and it's running very well, getting 60+ fps with somethings on ultra and most on high.

Tovarisc

It's amazing how this game came right when KoTK started breaking 100k ran with the hype. Streamers carried it hard but it turned out so far at least to be a better game with a much more active development team. H1Z1 did'nt ever really seem to know what it wanted to be and shifted focus with the popularity of Battle Royale. The game runs like butter now but the shooting is not satisfying and a lot of things feel like the engine holds it back. This game seems like it has much more room to grow and the devs are putting good work into it.

I finally jumped in. As an H1Z1 vet we'll see how it goes. Plenty of chicken dinners under my belt in the other game.

Advice from vets? What should my tryhard graphic settings be for performance and visual clarity? Low or Very low on everything or?

Textures and Drawing Distance step below Ultra, rest on Very Low. That is most common go-to settings setup.

Pro-tips: Don't jump out of moving vehicles, ADS over "hip fire" and pans for days

Raitaro

when will the xbox one version release?

Before the PS4 version...

...yes, I need to vent about this, still. PUBG is that one rare game every once in a while that has completely taken over my gaming interests (on a level recently only accomplished by the Souls games and BOTW), to the point of me voraciously consuming videos of it and despite it - or the genre - not being on my radar at all, and it happens to be the one snagged away by Microsoft. As a PS4 + Switch owner without funds or room to buy and set-up a PC or third console, that sucks even if I understand Microsoft's angle in this.

Sometimes I do wonder though why an already succesful and now I assume rich indie dev chooses to go for an exclusivity check when they know that that will prevent another large player base from playing the game. Money up front, at some point at least, isn't everything I would think (being a bitter summer child as usual I admit). Or did they perhaps need the tech support for getting a console version ready in general?

Guess I'll have to make due with watching PUBG for quite a while longer...

(Not trying to start a console war or rant against console exclusivity here, honestly; just venting about bad luck with this particular exclusive.)

Textures and Drawing Distance step below Ultra, rest on Very Low. That is most common go-to settings setup.

Pro-tips: Don't jump out of moving vehicles, ADS over "hip fire" and pans for days

Is there a setting to go straight into ads? I hated aiming in third person in h1z1.

Thanks for the settings as well.

Tovarisc

...yes, I need to vent about this, still. PUBG is that one rare game every once in a while that has completely taken over my gaming interests (on a level recently only accomplished by the Souls games and BOTW), to the point of me voraciously consuming videos of it and despite it - or the genre - not being on my radar at all, and it happens to be the one snagged away by Microsoft. As a PS4 + Switch owner without funds or room to buy and set-up a PC or third console, that sucks even if I understand Microsoft's angle in this.

Sometimes I do wonder though why an already succesful and now I assume rich indie dev chooses to go for an exclusivity check when they know that that will prevent another large player base from playing the game. Money up front, at some point at least, isn't everything I would think (being a bitter summer child as usual I admit). Or did they perhaps need the tech support for getting a console version ready in general?

(Not trying to start a console war or rant against console exclusivity here, honestly; just venting about bad luck with this particular exclusive.)

I would guess they had easier time to get BG onto XBO hardware and get it running than onto PS4 hardware so they are comfortable with developing XBO version along with PC version for Autumn release.

Tagyhag

You also have to remember that it'll probably launch in Xbox's early access program, something that the PS4 lacks. That could be another reason.

HowZatOZ

Banned
If anything, the reason why PUBG cannot be an esport is because the format is super uncomfortable for organizers. you need to fill a server with 100 players and unless they change the gamemode and map for for less players that's going to hard to fill with esport teams I think.

PUBG is a great streamer game though, so that's why esport organizations are very willing to sign streamers playing the game since the game is so popular.
Late reply but I've had games start with less than 50. Hell I had one match with just 12 people haha. It's definitely doable to create a true eSports community for PUBG but I think the mapnaize would need to be toned down. That or wait and see what new maps they have coming, I know one was suppose to be relatively smaller than the current map.

I will say, they had some of the best commentator tools during that charity stream. Was amazing getting all that info and I really hope those tools become available to the public.

Does anyone happen to have a spare code for gmg? Been looking at this game for a long time and was waiting on the steam sale to see if it had a discount. Would greatly appreciate it.

StillEdge

I always assumed because Mike Ybarra has been plugging this game almost every day for months bragging about chicken dinners. He is an actual vocal fan. People do business with people who believe in them.

Is the Pan worth holding for cover or is it just a meme?

It's worth it.

A) It does the most damage of any melee weapon by far on the very rare chance you'll be doing melee after the first minute.

B) Being able to make a small part of your body bulletproof is better than not having a small part of your body being bulletproof.

C) Anything equipped in a weapon slot doesn't take up backpack space anyway.

I think it's just early access on Xbox.

Will launch on on both officially probably next year sometime.

Top Bottom