• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somewhat Skilled Players Tackle Super Mario Odyssey

Yeah it really does give a better impression when its not a treehouse member who cant play worth a damn and doesn't have to stop to explain every little thing.

Robiin

Rolling like that is really not realistic.

Like, imagine you find yourself in a desert. The last thing you would do is roll around. You would get sand everywhere. And with all the glass structures, wouldn't you be worried about getting glass splinters on you?

Rolling needs to go.

Roo

Have to say I'm not a big fan of the motorcycle part. The animation looks so stiff. Almost like if Mario had two animation frames; left or right lol

Other than that, game looks sublime and can't wait to play it.

Like, imagine you find yourself in a desert. The last thing you would do is roll around. You would get sand everywhere. And with all the glass structures, wouldn't you be worried about getting glass splinters on you?

Rolling needs to go.

It's ice.

BigBeauford

Nice VVVVVV gameplay thrown in.I was mortified when Mario dumped the stone dude into the acid lake after he had no use for him.

ec0ec0

regarding mario moveset, i'll post what i said in the main mario thread:

Honestly, i don't know what nintendo has against the dive as it was in 64. This seemed like an appropiate game for it to return, yet the go with a buffed roll instead?

After watching footache of people who use the roll more, it seems fun to use when going down a slope. If you try using the roll when going up hill, you fall backwards. When going down hill, mario gains a lot of speed quickly, naturally. Looks great, seems practical. I'd say that that should be its main use

However, making it also the traversal option on flat ground, for extended periods of use, seems lame. On flat ground, its slower, you've to be mashing a button, and its all around very limited compared to 64's dive.

Why not let you do the dive from the ground and give it a follow up, exactly like in 64? Miyamoto already did it better 1996.

and to add to this, in oddysey, just like in 64/sunshine, you're going to have to spend plenty of time in the same level, to pick every star (moons in this game), so it would make perfect sense to have the dive as it was in 64/sunshine, to add variety to the game.

i don't want mario to depent on checkpoints, vehicles (like the lion on the desert, the scooter on the city) or hat abilities (in the city, were he kind of turns into electricity and goes though wires, or he uses those small poles to launch himself, for example) for fast travel. All those are awesome!! but i'd like mario to also (in addition to having access to the options/abilities mentioned above) be able to easily and quickly travel big spaces by himself (in an open 3d platformer, specially in a sequel to 64 and sunshine, it's mandatory). 64's dive was very versatile for that, and also fun to use (it never got old). Having rolling as a substitute seems lame (much better than mashing the long jump like in galaxy, or like you still saw some people doing when playing the odyssey demo, but still lame).

I like the idea of the roll (mainly when going down hill), i just don't like the fact that, in odyssey, you can only use the dive in the air, so, naturally, the roll would be the its substitute for covering flat ground quickly.

Scrolling through some footage, and I think I found a super cool moon in the desert. No confirmations, since no one seemed to get even started on it, but god I really hope it's true.

and to add to this, in oddysey, just like in 64/sunshine, you're going to have to replay the same levels over and over, to pick every star (moons in this game), so it would make perfect sense to have the dive same as it was in 64/sunshine, to add variety to the game.
You don't leave the level when you get a moon.

lol, and? that doesn't change anything? you're still spending your time in the same level.

I'm not against adding more movement variety, of course, but we don't need the dive because you need different ways to climb up the same mountain. You don't need to 'waste' your time doing that if you don't want to since you can just fast travel to another checkpoint, and even on a regular run of a level there's so many ways to get to your objective(s) that you're not really treading the same ground over and over again.

I want more movement variety because that's fun.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Good to see someone decently skilled at games (and who doesn't stop and OOOOOH AAAAH at every little thing) play this, but it also makes the game look ridiculously easy. Zero challenge in anything there, really. But I guess they're not showing the more difficult stuff yet. I sincerely hope it's in there.

Alienous

This looks a lot better than I thought the game was, based on the footage I had seen.

It's looking like a solid Super Mario 64 sequel.

Though it was the visuals that were disappointing me, and this seems like the most visually coherent level, so I'm still worried about the others.

Those Nintendo world report videos are the best yet. He goes into places most other people didn't.

Shit, I'm in love with this game already.

ec0ec0

I'm not against adding more movement variety, of course, but we don't need the dive because you need different ways to climb up the same mountain. You don't need to 'waste' your time doing that if you don't want to since you can just fast travel to another checkpoint, and even on a regular run of a level there's so many ways to get to your objective(s) that you're not really treading the same ground over and over again.

I want more movement variety because that's fun.

i don't want mario to depent on checkpoints, vehicles (like the lion on the desert, the scooter on the city) or hat abilities (in the city, were he kind of turns into electricity and goes though wires, or he uses those small poles to launch himself, for example) for fast travel. All those are awesome!! but i'd like mario to also (in addition to having access to the options/abilities mentioned above) be able to easily and quickly travel big spaces by himself (in an open 3d platformer, specially in a sequel to 64 and sunshine, it's mandatory). 64's dive was very versatile for that, and also fun to use (it never got old). Having rolling as a substitute seems lame (much better than mashing the long jump like in galaxy, or like you still saw some people doing when playing the odyssey demo, but still lame).

I like the idea of the roll (mainly when going down hill), i just don't like the fact that, in odyssey, you can only use the dive in the air, so, naturally, the roll would be the its substitute for covering flat ground quickly.

dtm808

There is something so amusing reading complaints about the capabilities of a fictional video game character. He eats shrooms that make him grow twice his size, throws fire from his hands, travels through pipes, spins himself in the air like a helicopter, jumps unnaturally high, flies just by running far enough with a tail, and can float himself in the air by ingesting helium, but rolling himself into a ball is too illogical for Mario. xD

ec0ec0

There is something so amusing reading complaints about the capabilities of a fictional video game character. He eats shrooms that make him grow twice his size, throws fire from his hands, travels through pipes, spins himself in the air like a helicopter, jumps unnaturally high, flies just by running far enough with a tail, and can float himself in the air by ingesting helium, but rolling himself into a ball is too illogical for Mario. xD

^^^
this

the roll looks great when going down hill

D.Lo

Absolutely fantastic.

By biggest beef of 3D World (and I had many) was the simplified control to support Wii Remotes. control wise it was 'Mario: Other M'.

ciD_Vain

Yeah the game controls like a dream. Wanted to see if I could beat it quickly and I was able to defeat the boss when I played at E3.

Sami+

Man, I really can't wait to see speedruns of this game. I'm so happy they're finally going back to the 64/Sunshine style.

Mistle

The 2D wall thing is cool but the more I think about it, I wish it was all just 3D platforming. I've kind of reached my 2D Mario limit for the time being. I wanna scale a tower in 3D, not combine into it's wall

Just something that hit me while watching vid in OP

cuate

Banned
Absolutely fantastic. The Super Mario 64 sequel I've been waiting for. This game shames all previous 3d Mario games in terms of controls and mobility. I couldn't be happier.

RagnarokX

Absolutely fantastic.

By biggest beef of 3D World (and I had many) was the simplified control to support Wii Remotes. control wise it was 'Mario: Other M'.

Wha? Mario had more movement options in 3D World than in Galaxy. In fact 3D world has everything non-fludd from sunshine minus punch/kick/dive (unless you have a powerup) and the triple jump and added new moves like the roll, rolling long jump, ground pound jump, etc

bounchfx

Breath of the mild? Rofl
Can't like one game without shitting on another. Never change, children.

---

Fucking stoked to hear about Odyssey and how it moves and plays. I absolutely adore Galaxy and 3d world/land but I am so excited to play another like 64

Speely

Banned
This was really fun to watch. Game looks very satisfying to play.

The 3D/2D transitions are so goddamn slick. It's really impressive to me.

cordy

Banned
Speedrunners are going to have such a fun time with this game. I'm not even a speedrunner but I'm interested in seeing how quick I can get through some of these areas.

Persona7

Banned

Rolling needs to go.

Mario is definitely a good model for realism.

Top Bottom