• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda talks about Switch expectations, why they're supporting the platform, future

Glad to hear that Bethesda appear to be on Switch for the long haul.
I'd love to get more of their catalog on Switch, including some of the last gen releases even.

This is something I've been talking about basically since March:

It's such a natural relationship, and it's the #1 reason why the Switch audience is dissimilar to the Wii audience- the Switch audience was brought in mostly by BotW, the Wii audience was brought in mostly by Wii Sports. This directly affects the types of games those people will buy going forward.

I think this is key to the Switch's success going forward, and to Nintendo's success as well. The type of consumers they are currently attracting are the type of consumers that I feel are more likely to purchase "core" 3rd Party Titles, so to speak.

it’s not as if we’re going to just do these two games and that’s it. We want this to be the start of a relationship that we build with Nintendo and Nintendo fans

This is awesome. Their effort and commitment must be rewarded.

I'm definitely waiting for Wolfenstein 2 Switch, and I might get Doom too.

Keep the games coming!

MCN

Banned
Other third parties: "Hmm, we're not sure Nintendo players would buy our mature game"

Bethesda: "Here's fucking DOOM, motherfuckers"

AzaK

I would be tempted to get Skyrim as I probably only got about 1/4 way through it if that, even though I enjoyed it. However I think it'll be full price which I won't bite on; it'd have to be what I could get it for digitally elsewhere as I'll be playing almost exclusively on the big screen.

Other third parties: "Hmm, we're not sure Nintendo players would buy our mature game"

Bethesda: "Here's fucking DOOM, motherfuckers"

haha. Yeah we need some more pubs with gonads to get these games onto Nintendo systems (Or Nintendo to work with them to get their games on it)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Bethesda and Nintendo is a dream come true for me, I have been waiting forever. I really hope it doesn't end here

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have Skyrim pre-ordered and I can't wait to play it for the first time.

Capcom shook. Nintendo now best friends with Bethesda.

Honestly I am annoyed at Capcom for not choosing to port Okami to the Switch, it's a meaty Zelda like game with drawing gameplay that would be perfect for the switch touchscreen.

But nope Capcom decided not to use common sense.

I wonder if they could do a Evil Within 1 + 2 switch pack in the future.

I want everyone to play that series.

I am hoping that will happen plus a port of Fallout 4.

Yeah, last quote is definitely important. Glad to see that Bethesda really wants to go in on Switch. Picking up Doom for sure, and possibly Wolfenstein II as well.

deleted

Honestly I am annoyed at Capcom for not choosing to port ______ to the Switch, it's a _______ like game that would be perfect for the switch.

Fixed that for you. Applies to mostly every port Capcom did in the past half year.

That reads great, I hope they find success on the platform. Nice to see that they are not looking for any excuses and are excited to bring their games to a partly new audience.

jdstorm

Banned
Speaking of Capcom. Anyone else find it amusing that after all the Drama trying surrounding Sony, Nintendo and the Monster Hunter franchise that Capcom's first Monster Hunter game on the Switch was called Monster Hunter Double Cross.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Speaking of Capcom. Anyone else find it amusing that after all the Drama trying surrounding Sony, Nintendo and the Monster Hunter franchise that Capcom's first Monster Hunter game on the Switch was called Monster Hunter Double Cross.
LOL very nice!

brinstar

I'm not a huge bethesda guy but that's cool. I hope they shrink fallout down onto switch

the irony is not lost on me

JJH

I plan on picking up every Bethesda game on the Switch and hoping they bring more over (FO games please).

Banned
It's kind of nice to see them say it's not just these two games. But if Doom and/or Skyrim sell poorly I wonder if they'll change their tune?

Can we expect late ports of their other back catalogue games like Prey, Fallout 4 and The Evil Within?

Banned
I have Skyrim pre-ordered and I can't wait to play it for the first time.

Honestly I am annoyed at Capcom for not choosing to port Okami to the Switch, it's a meaty Zelda like game with drawing gameplay that would be perfect for the switch touchscreen.

I am hoping that will happen plus a port of Fallout 4.
I love piling on Capcom as much as the next guy but I have a theory for this.

The Okami contracts were likely signed and approved a year or so ago and Capcom likely barely knew about or wasn't too hot on the Switch. I doubt they skipped switch on purpose. Apparently SFII sold well so who knows about future support?

I love piling on Capcom as much as the next guy but I have a theory for this.

The Okami contracts were likely signed and approved a year or so ago and Capcom likely barely knew about or wasn't too hot on the Switch. I doubt they skipped switch on purpose. Apparently SFII sold well so who knows about future support?

So while they were asked by Nintendo to give suggestions on the RAM specs on a console that received support from Square Enix barely a few months from its first mentions with the announcement of Dragon Quest X and XI in 2015, and had been part of Nintendo's Switch PR line up since last year, instead of going for a relatively easy multiplatform port of a Zelda-like game to the Nintendo Switch, they opted to... not do that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's kind of nice to see them say it's not just these two games. But if Doom and/or Skyrim sell poorly I wonder if they'll change their tune?

Can we expect late ports of their other back catalogue games like Prey, Fallout 4 and The Evil Within?
It's a business of course the support will end of they can't make money with their product on Switch.

But since they have no western RPG or shooter competition on that level on Switch both games will probably do very well. Switch gamers are thirsty and the hardware shipments for the last 3 months of the year should be quite high.

I wouldn't expect games that had lackluster sales on other systems like Prey.. At least not for now. Something like Fallout New Vegas or F4 for next year would make sense... Maybe in the same spot Skyrim had this year.

Banned
So while they were asked by Nintendo to give suggestions on the RAM specs on a console that received support from Square Enix barely a few months from its first mentions with the announcement of Dragon Quest X and XI in 2015, and had been part of Nintendo's Switch PR line up since last year, instead of going for a relatively easy multiplatform port of a Zelda-like game to the Nintendo Switch, they opted to... not do that.

It's a business of course the support will end of they can't make money with their product on Switch.

But since they have no western RPG or shooter competition on that level on Switch both games will probably do very well. Switch gamers are thirsty and the hardware shipments for the last 3 months of the year should be quite high.

I wouldn't expect games that had lackluster sales on other systems like Prey.. At least not for now. Something like Fallout New Vegas or F4 for next year would make sense... Maybe in the same spot Skyrim had this year.
Cacpcom gonna Capcom

atr0cious

You can't forget how broke capcom is/was. They needed a sure thing and the ps4 is that as far as consoles to tie yourself to are. The switch caught everyone off guard and Capcom is doing what they gotta do. It's not like we're not getting games from them. Stories just dropped. And okami will surely come down the line with at least touch controls based on the RE ports. The system has only been out half a year, after all.

Seik

Banned
I imagine Capcom investors yelling at the executives that they're sleeping on pills with the Switch.

Which is true, holy shit are they handling this badly.

Bethesda and Switch is like one of the biggest surprises this year.

I expect Nintendo themselves to take that spot next year, they usually do.

That spot (November 17th/the friday before black friday) is an important piece of this though. It's Nintendo's biggest release date of the year, and this year they're giving it to Skyrim with full marketing support. It's another hugely encouraging sign for the strength of this partnership.

Turrican3

It's such a natural relationship, and it's the #1 reason why the Switch audience is dissimilar to the Wii audience- the Switch audience was brought in mostly by BotW, the Wii audience was brought in mostly by Wii Sports. This directly affects the types of games those people will buy going forward.
Right now it seems easy to draw that kind of comparisons, but let's not forget Wii had a big Zelda launch game as well... and many other third party, core-targeted stuff like CoD or Red Steel (yeah hardly first class efforts, but still)

My point is: Nintendo actually needs both kind of audience, they're just ensuring to secure core first this time, but it would be foolish to believe there won't be a decent amount of casual stuff as well, there's a reason they made 1-2 Switch and kept the wiimote-style controllers.

MCN

Banned
That spot (November 17th/the friday before black friday) is an important piece of this though. It's Nintendo's biggest release date of the year, and this year they're giving it to Skyrim with full marketing support. It's another hugely encouraging sign for the strength of this partnership.

It is nice to see Nintendo putting a major effort into getting major third parties on board for a change.

Smeags

As far as western 3rd party publishers go, Bethesda's stable of games really have great synergy with Nintendo's audience.

For a lack of a better term, games like Wolfenstein, Doom, Evil Within, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc have a sort of an old school, "gamey" ethos that core Ninty fans indentify and respect. Moreso than other publishers' push into online focused, service based content that were seeing more and more of.

That and the folks there at Bethesda continue to say and show the right things. Ninty fans can have a bit of a (again poorly phrased term but its the best I can think of) persecution complex with 3rd parties and their role with Nintendo systems over the decades. When a publisher is instead pushing the sytem and driving non gimped content, core fans pay attention. I have no doubt Skyrim and Doom will be met with open arms and wallets this holiday season.

Alright Hines I believe ya...

BUT MY TOMMY GUN DON'T.

d1d780a44fc12f84d39d937c98ab4a07764be03ee1792b33646371f27b09e40f.jpg

We'll see how this partnership goes in 2018.

*Slow clap*

Well done.

I'm now checking to see if Home Alone 2 is still available on HBO GO.

This is encouraging. I'm day one for Skyrim and have been checking videos on YouTube to learn the Elders Scrolls lore to build me up for Skyrim's release on the Switch. Sadly I don't really mess with FPS but I hope Wolf 2 and DOOM sells beyond expectations on the Switch. I really hope this leads into future day one releases for Bethesda.

Fake edit: Will be there day one for the future Fallout releases and hopefully future Elder Scrolls releases. Honestly as long as it's not First person only I'll be there day one on the Switch.

sphinx

the piano man
on the other hand...

I think I'll wait and see what happens, I'll believe his claims in late 2018 and beyond when I see day-and-date switch versions of their multiplats.

This is an unprecedented partnership (it truly is)... but we already know how unprecedented partnerships can turn out.

Salvadora

To be fair, they are releasing Pokemon on November 17th.

You can't forget how broke capcom is/was. They needed a sure thing and the ps4 is that as far as consoles to tie yourself to are. The switch caught everyone off guard and Capcom is doing what they gotta do. It's not like we're not getting games from them. Stories just dropped. And okami will surely come down the line with at least touch controls based on the RE ports. The system has only been out half a year, after all.

If they wanted a sure thing, then why USFII.

That was a sure thing to no one before it got the numbers it did.

Oregano

All talk of a sure thing goes out the window when they're betting on a game that abandons its franchises core audience right now.

Also whilst they twiddle their thumbs other publishers are going to be raking it in. No one will care about Okami HD Switch Edition in 2019 when they finally pull their finger out.

Savitar

The titles better sale! I want to see some great third party news and the titles deserve the strong sells and support. If nothing else because it's the first time in years that it feels like a third party really tried to push the limits of a Nintendo console and put out something different than the quick cash in cheapo titles.

Morts

I've still never played Skyrim so I think I'm going to give it a shot if the Switch version runs okay. I'm not going to wait until 2018 for Wolfenstein though.

I wonder how much of the Dishonored series they could fit on a single Switch cart...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I just meant that they would have another big western RPG ready for the Holidays next year. Not that it has to come out on the same day as Skyrim xD

Why does he needs to explain why they are supporting the platform?
He doesn't... But it's an Interviews and they asked him about their Switch plans/outlook.

AniHawk

Very surreal what is happening to Nintendo so shortly after the disaster that is Wiiu.

the wii u got close conceptually. after its reveal people had thought it was a portable platform, or that you could play multiplayer with multiple gamepads. this might have been nintendo's original idea for the platform in 2009, but by 2013 or 2014 i think it was that feedback which led them to their current direction. people were actively wanting something they had gotten close to, and it was just a matter of delivering on it.

The thing is Nintendo needs to relearn how to release their titles with a constant stream of 3rd party titles. Learn to give up the big November date and release at the beginning of the year. When it comes down to it Nintendo games will sell on their console no matter when in the year it's released. They need to give 3rd parties the best part of the year without competition from their 1st party games because no one really knows how the 3rd party titles will proform on the Switch.

All talk of a sure thing goes out the window when they're betting on a game that abandons its franchises core audience right now.

Also whilst they twiddle their thumbs other publishers are going to be raking it in. No one will care about Okami HD Switch Edition in 2019 when they finally pull their finger out.

I agree... I understand Capcom is having their difficulties as a company right now but come one.. Street Fighter @ 40$ and I totally see your example of Okami happening. Granted SF @ 40$ did better then they expected but it feels like they're still dragging their feet with the Switch.

DVCY201

Despite the doom and gloom about Doom being 30fps, I think I'll pick it up still. I may even get Skyrim (never played)

Snakeyes

Right now it seems easy to draw that kind of comparisons, but let's not forget Wii had a big Zelda launch game as well... and many other third party, core-targeted stuff like CoD or Red Steel (yeah hardly first class efforts, but still)
Let's be totally fair and honest here though... Wii Sports overshadowed everything else in the public eye when it came to the Wii's first year. It's the game everyone was talking about, the one that was being paraded around in talk shows, the one featured in health and wellness articles... Zelda sold very well, but it is Wii Sports that defined the system's early years, and arguably its entire shelf life.

On the Switch, BotW has been the undisputed star of the system's launch window, and that has a strong impact on its perception going forward

Eolz

Damn, that's a pretty big statement from Bethesda.
And so far, they're indeed showing a lot of efforts. Wonder if they want to work on a nintendo spin-off down the line...

Also, as others said, Fallout New Vegas would be fantastic (pls not 3/4). Most of their old games sound like hard work due to the engine choices sadly...

LOL

Vena

Man. You know you've poisoned the well when a topic about one developer/publisher spins off into lambasting another.

Top Bottom