• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS data-mined: 20 fighter codenames found! Also, Nintendo says an update is soon.

Here are my thoughts:

Chain - Ninjara's Sensei. Biff was correct, he/she is a frog ninja.

Coil - Doctor C/Coil. Tesla Coil ARMS and possibly the Chestlok unit.

Plant - Self explanatory. I'd prefer a huge Plant monster, but wouldn't be shocked to get just a gardener or even a Tarzan reference.

Robo - Could be literally anything robotic. Considering the Twitter's focus on ARMS Labs, I'm leaning towards another fighter affiliated with them.

Scroll - Old shaman/mage. Possibly a medieval ARMS Fighter resurrected somehow...?

Sumo - Self explanatory. Perhaps their belt acts as ARMS?

Surprise - No idea. Guest? Party horn ARMS?

Sweet - Candymaker with taffy/licorice ARMS. Probably another waifu.

Twintale - Maybe a redundant folder? I would love a Bizarro Twintelle, but that seems unlikely. Or, maybe the "tale" is literal? Fighter using two books as ARMS?

Man, you're full of good ideas! Especially that Twintale theory.

For those who haven't been following, the ongoing ARMS journal mentioned a plot by the mad scientist at the ARMS Labs to steal a sample of Twintelle's hair.

Perhaps they created something based on the hair sample... Perhaps it resulted in "Twintale?"

Thanks again! I keep picturing a shambling mass of hair for some reason...

Neiteio

Just bumping these theories by Professor Lexicovermis for the new page... I think he may be onto something here:

Wait. Doctor "C". "Coil".

Doctor Coil?

Makes sense to me: mad scientist with Tesla Coil ARMS. Perhaps wielding the rejected "Chestlok" model mentioned in the ARMS Labs Journal?

Besides, Chain, Robo, and Twintale aren't necessarily redundant.

Chain could be Ninjara's Sensei. Robo could be anything robotic. Twintale could possibly be a "bizarro" Twintelle made by ARMS Labs' experiments on her hair?
For those who aren't familiar with the lore he's referencing, read this article here: http://www.jtyaku.net/the-peculiar-arms-story-so-far/

(Thanks to user Resilient for linking me to this fascinating read)

Maybe it's Twintails
latest

I kinda want Biff to be the last fighter and has voice sample from the Nintendo Direct.

Man I can't wait for the next ARMS direct. The last one was so good.

Maybe he could be short and hard to hit like Oddjob in Goldeneye, lol

Urgh. Please no. :p

Being serious, and basing this off the Twitter posts, Robo could feasibly be Mechanica's father piloting a mech like his daughter or an autonomous invention of his. I feel like he was mentioned for a reason...

Neiteio

"Sumo" is the hardest codename to imagine. Primarily because sumo wrestlers already have big ol' arms, and they don't wear much in the way of clothes that could act as arms instead.

Is there anything distinctly Japanese that would be suitably stretchy and could work well as arms on a sumo wrestler's body?

Neiteio

Being serious, and basing this off the Twitter posts, Robo could feasibly be Mechanica's father piloting a mech like his daughter or an autonomous invention of his. I feel like he was mentioned for a reason...
Ooo, Mechanica's dad would be a cool character. Great excuse for them to concoct a new mech suit, too. :)

"Sumo" is the hardest codename to imagine. Primarily because sumo wrestlers already have big ol' arms, and they don't wear much in the way of clothes that could act as arms instead.

Is there anything distinctly Japanese that would be suitably stretchy and could work well as arms on a sumo wrestler's body?

I almost think Sumo would be best with Dhalsim-style arms. Nothing abnormal about them until a punch is thrown.

It's interesting to note that, among all these supposed fighters, only Sumo, Sweet, and Surprise lack any precedent or importance in the lore thus far. At least, if my theories are correct, of course.

Plant: A report from ARMS Labs explicitly references that plants can have the ARMS Gene. Interestingly, the same report claims that nonhuman animals can as well. This leads some credence to the "TwinTAIL" theory.

Coil: Assuming that Doctor C is indeed Doctor "Coil", he/she has been the main focal point of the Twitter storyline thus far.

Chain: Biff has called attention to the Ninja College's Frog logo in a recent post and speculates that said Frog was Ninjara's Sensei.

Robo: Likely an invention of ARMS Labs or possibly Mechanica's father. Biff called attention to him in a post earlier, and we know that the Labs have dabbled in robotics (Hedlok).

Scroll: DNA Lab is littered with research papers showing what appear to be medieval ARMS Fighters. Perhaps Scroll has some relation to these?

Twintale: The most mysterious of the codenames, other than Surprise. My personal theory is that it has something to do with Doctor C's quest for Twintelle's hair. Others have theorized that it is an animal with "Twintails". Both are credible given the lore.

correojon

Chain could be Ninjara, Coil Springman, Robo Byte and Barq and Twintale Twintelle, or alternate versions of them. The coincidence is too big, I wouldn't get hopes for these names

Chain could be Ninjara, Coil Springman, Robo Byte and Barq and Twintale Twintelle, or alternate versions of them. The coincidence is too big, I wouldn't get hopes for these names

This is true, but I find it odd that only those 4 would have redundant references to them in the files. If that were the case, surely every fighter would have a secondary reference, right?

Though I do agree that we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, lest we end up disappointed.

What if they just release new fighters and stages at this pace for a year and a half like Splat 1?

Did Nintendo just cement a new type of game dev cycle this gen?

What if they just release new fighters and stages at this pace for a year and a half like Splat 1?

Did Nintendo just cement a new type of game dev cycle this gen?

I anticipate a new fighter/ARM/stage package with this week's update; monthly fighters makes too much sense. If this is the case, a trailer for said character will likely debut a day or two before the update drops. My prediction is a casual trailer drop at some point tomorrow and update Wednesday.

L Thammy

I think "Surprise" as a reference to party horns rather than a guest character makes more sense considering that this is a data mine. They probably didn't name the file "surprise" to hype anybody up.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Great
Can't wait for new characters!
Arms is so good
I would just like them to add ending video for each character after winning grand prix...

I think "Surprise" as a reference to party horns rather than a guest character makes more sense considering that this is a data mine. They probably didn't name the file "surprise" to hype anybody up.

This is most likely the case. Why would a guest's "behind the scenes" name be Surprise? Still, we can't exactly rule that out just yet. Though, Party Horn ARMS would be interesting. Perhaps a clown?

correojon

This is true, but I find it odd that only those 4 would have redundant references to them in the files. If that were the case, surely every fighter would have a secondary reference, right?

Though I do agree that we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, lest we end up disappointed.
They might just be leftovers from where the game was in development and they still hadn't finalised the designs, maybe Master Mummy was a later design that didn't have to go trhough a initial phase of concept->character and that's why it doesn't appear (same for the rest). Though I agree that some theories like that of Doctor Coil sound plausible. Also having a Ninja Master frog with chains will be the coolest thing ever, so let me change my mind and tell you to hype the f* up!!

They might just be leftovers from where the game was in development and they still hadn't finalised the designs, maybe Master Mummy was a later design that didn't have to go trhough a initial phase of concept->character and that's why it doesn't appear (same for the rest). Though I agree that some theories like that of Doctor Coil sound plausible. Also having a Ninja Master frog with chains will be the coolest thing ever, so let me change my mind and tell you to hype the f* up!!

Some do sound like redundant/forgotten entries, but to see...

Well, please don't think that I am definitely, 100% correct. My theories are just that: theories. They are purely based on my observations from the ARMS Twitter lore posts and the assumption that none of these new folders are redundant entries. If any of my theories turn out to be true, that's great. If we only end up with 4 more characters and the others are mere leftovers, that's absolutely fine too! I would hate for anyone to take my word as the truth and get overhyped...

Raitaro

I had a feeling it would end up at 20 characters. Cool stuff.

I do however wish someone would datamine hints for a story mode that digs deeper into that lore stuff from the promo video. That would get me to buy this game today.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only character worthy of being a surprise guest is the OG long arms, Mr TIckle

Mr._Tickle.jpg

Yes, I do realise the chances of a beloved children's classic appearing in a fighting game are pretty much null.

Cpt Lmao

Honestly, if "Surprise" turns out to be a guest character, I feel like this lovable chap would make the most sense (at least IMO):

latest

All memes aside, he actually fits the design of ARMS like a glove considering his whole shtick is his stretchy arms, lol. I always thought it'd be kinda weird to see Little Mac with extendable limbs.

I mean, there is already a precedent for the DK crew to appear in fighting games.

Smash
Punch Out...

Neiteio

I like the idea of the plant fighter being a slow and heavy plant monster with vine tentacles, like Marlboro from Final Fantasy

ash_ag

Surprise should be Wireframe Mac. He doesn't serve much of a purpose in Punch-Out!! and he'd be a great fit for ARMS given his wireframes could easily be made extendable.

I'd also love to see some use for Ultra Hand too. If one of the characters doesn't have naturally extendable arms (or hair :p) and isn't a robot, Ultra Hand could be one of the ways he gets to compete in the sport. It would probably be better used on an entirely new character, rather than a guest, but you know what? Give it to Stanley the Bugman. :p

Ah, good ol' Magnemite. You know how Magnemite was the most requested character in Pokkén?

Guess it has a knack for fighting games.

Top Bottom