• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Freak's new PS4 save game editor. Your PSN level just went down the shitter.

Koopatrol

If this really can unlock trophies, that would be some BS. As far as I know, it's not possible to hack trophies on PS4 games at the moment. PS3 games are a different story, obviously.

I'm really interested in difficult trophies. It's cool to see people working together and giving each other tips and tricks to get the platinum trophies for games like Super Meat Boy, Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc. It's awesome to see some platinums have such a prestige to them. This could potentially ruin that for the trophy community.

Ganado

If this really can unlock trophies, that would be some BS. As far as I know, it's not possible to hack trophies on PS4 games at the moment. PS3 games are a different story, obviously.

It's not hacking trophies, more like getting the requirements for the trophies instantly.

Amon37

I remember using my ps2 cheat program for FFXII. It had a cheat for super fast running that made the game 100x more enjoyable I'm all for a cheating device.

I'm really interested in difficult trophies. It's cool to see people working together and giving each other tips and tricks to get the platinum trophies for games like Super Meat Boy, Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc. It's awesome to see some platinums have such a prestige to them. This could potentially ruin that for the trophy community.

Literally the same exact thing.

BigEmil

I remember using my ps2 cheat program for FFXII. It had a cheat for super fast running that made the game 100x more enjoyable I'm all for a cheating device.
FF12 remaster includes I think it was 2x speed? That you can toggle on instantly with a press of a button saw it on a YouTube video someone uploaded of them playing the game at a booth

synce

I don't understand why people care so much about virtual trophies, but I'll always resent the fact they killed cheating and save sharing in console games.

This thing seems overpriced though and there's not enough PS4 exclusives to even justify it so hopefully we'll get a free CFW alternative this year

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hopefully this is just for unlocking trophies for people who are lazy. I'd hate to see cheating pop up on the PS4. Especially in games like Dark Souls/Bloodborne. Sorry but I can't stand cheating, especially in games with online elements where the cheaters mingle with the honest players.

jrush64

Banned
I dont even care in the slightest bit about trophies. I just want stuff like to cut down on grinding in games and stuff because I get frustrated and bored grinding.

StereoVsn

This is going to happen. I just played Tales of Berseria and it literally offers features like Double XP, Double Money and Increase levels as DLC.
Cheat tables solve that issue on the computer :). I don't see anything wrong with this device as long as it stays SP.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How does this work? Do you copy the saves to this device and then plug it on a Pc, and then transfer them back to the ps4?
If it's like PS3, then it's a matter of decrypting saves, editing them with basically a hex editor, and resigning them so that the console doesn't know they've been edited.

eloxx

please no, this defeats the whole purpose of having trophies in the first place. trophy hunting is a art form in its own. you can do that kind of stuff with steam achievements on pc, but not on ps4 where trophies actually still mean something.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
yes great device it will make all those trophy idiots look like they wasted their lives.
when i show up with my full decked out hacked list XD

also note that with hacked tropys you are not hurting anyone.

People, this is not new. This sort of thing is beeing done since mid-ps3 generation. And yes those trophies ciubt for psn level and yes they show up on ps4.

If it didnt bother you till now, you probably will not be bothered by it going foward.

Joni

So what? Outside of online cheaters this has no impact on you. Just like it didn't have an impact when people used cheat codes in the past. If people want to pay to earn their trophies, let them. Maybe if they ever came up with something to unlock unachievable trophies, it would be interesting.

xrnzaaas

Awful. Normally I'd say Sony should try and monitor traffic and flag suspicious trophy unlocks or sudden character progression, but considering how incompetent they are a lot of legitimate users may be banned or flagged as well.

pa22word

Awful. Normally I'd say Sony should try and monitor traffic and flag suspicious trophy unlocks or sudden character progression, but considering how incompetent they are a lot of legitimate users may be banned or flagged as well.

"Wont somebody please think of the trophy whores!"

tsundoku

Save editing to take away levels or give yourself max stupid gambling coins in ffxv would significantly have improved my enjoyment of that game

also getting costumes that just come out in some regions or like ffxvs stupid thing with the carnival being time limited

This is going to happen. I just played Tales of Berseria and it literally offers features like Double XP, Double Money and Increase levels as DLC.

That's been a thing since at least Tales of Graces F, though at that point it was packed into a 'Knight Edition'.

edit: Whoops, I just couldn't find it. Actually, it is all there as microtransactions too.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Bye-bye PS4 online gaming, I guess.

Imagine playing PvP in Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 against someone who is such a low-life piece of shit that they have to use this.
This is already a thing though. Not with cheating per se, but players doing low level runs to grap the strongest weapons from lategame in order to pry on newcomers with +9/10 weapons and endgame equipment.

why the makers of Pokemon do this
Gamefreak =/= Code Freak

Could be very interesting in the era of on-disc paywall content. I'd imagine it's possible to access paid unlockables in certain games as well as eliminating the reason for speed up services.

KyleCross

Remember that cool thing Sony did some years ago where you could use your trophy score to bid on props and other cool goods? Yeah, this is why we don't get more stuff like that.

Arnas

Would like to use this on RE-0 and 1 and get the secret weapons, i'm to rubbish to unlock all that stuff my self.

yurinka

PS4 doesn't seem to be stable enough. Let's hope Sony avoids this with a stability update.
hDY0gyv.gif

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
How does this work? Do you copy the saves to this device and then plug it on a Pc, and then transfer them back to the ps4?

Yeah, that was how the one used to work on the PS3, you used to have to have another save that was untouched so it could assign it back to your account or something so when you loaded the game it didnt say unknown save otherwise everyone would be doing it.

Aalvi

There are a lot of easier ways to cheat trophies, devices like these are just roundabout ways.

Besides, trophies don't have any real value. One of the top trophy collectors was exposed for having multiple people on the same account iirc, isn't that unfair? and thats not even utilising cheats just more manpower to play and gather trophies in unrealistic amounts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably the biggest effect this will have is on developers who sell cheats for games. All those JRPG games that sell gold or items (I think every Tales game has this? Or was it Atelier?) as DLC are probably going to lose a lot of sales.

Then you get into the weird question of whether or not it's "piracy" to give yourself gold via save hacking instead of buying it from the publisher.

(remember when developers just gave you cheat codes? lol)

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Stuff like that is hard coded in the game files/server files (except player level, if it's not tracked online either). You can't change them through a save game that doesn't even track data like that.

Do you not remember the Borderlands 2 editor?

EvB

They are encrypted but they break the encryption via reverse engineering.

Probably won't work in future firmware when Sony changes the encryption.

Better get in there quick. We only have a few years for them to catch up and change it.

Can't think of a game online where this would affect me, don't really play competitive games where maxed gear or stats are important. Can't cheat skill.

rbanke

I have 2 kids sharing my ps4 and them having to restart games because they shared a save on the other's profile (or mine) happens all the time and is incredibly annoying. I have a high trophy level, still don't give a damn about it if it interrupts my ability to move my own saves between my own profiles, they should have and could have simply disabled trophies on saves that have been moved from their original profile.

Also, the old days when you've totally finished a game and want to experiment with a game genie was an awesome time.

Top Bottom