• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmaGAF Community Thread: DayZ was actually a mod

Hylian7

What is Arma?

Arma 2 and 3 (mainly the games this thread will cover) are hardcore military sandboxes developed by Bohemia Interactive. They focus on authenticity with large scale combat. This is nothing like Call of Duty, Battlefield, or the like. Calling a straight up "first person shooter" isn't completely correct, as there is much more to it than that. Shooting is a big part of it, of course, but there is so much more to the game than that.

Where did this series start?

What we now know is Arma started from a game called Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, released in 2001. Published by Codemasters, it kicked off this series. OFP still exists today, however it is a different series than Arma, as Codemasters owns the rights to the Operation Flashpoint name. The original game was re-released as "Arma: Cold War Assault" in 2011, and was also given as a preorder bonus for Arma 3.

In 2006, Arma: Armed Assault was released as a sequel to OFP, followed by Arma 2 in 2009, and Arma 3 in 2013.

What does "Arma" mean?

Arma quite simply stands for "Armed Assault", and just rolls off the tongue as "ArmA."

What exactly is the appeal of this game?

The beauty of Arma is that you can basically do whatever you want. Every game in the series comes with an editor, that with a little practice, you can get in there, and write your own missions. Making them dynamic is simple, and oftentimes one mission is never the same way when played twice.

Probably the biggest appeal of the Arma series is the robust multiplayer. You can play many different types of missions, from cooperative against AI players, or player vs player missions, otherwise known as adverserial missions. The terrains are absolutely huge (think the size of the map in Skyrim, and often bigger than that).

For some videos of what Arma is, I highly suggest checking out Dslyecxi's channel on YouTube, he frequently posts videos all the time of ArmA sessions with his community, Shack Tactical. https://www.youtube.com/user/Dslyecxi

What is the goal of this thread?

My dream for this thread is to create an Arma community on GAF that regularly gets together to play missions, whether they are co-op or adverserial. Obviously, you have much more fun in Arma if you have an entire game populated by many human players.

This is a basic rundown of my plan for each week:

1. During the week, everyone posts in the thread discussing whatever Arma related, along with suggesting missions they want to play together, whether official, user made on the internet, or you made them yourself.

2. I compile these missions into a playlist, and sometime on the weekend (most likely Saturday), we have a play session where we just play most if not all of the missions on that list.

3. Fun and chaos ensues!

If anyone has suggestions, feel free to suggest to them. Also, this OP is very much a work in progress, as I don't have any images because I am not at all artistically talented. If anyone would like to help with that, please let me know!

Useful Links

Armaholic - Arma 1/2/3 mods, missions, and files
Arma 3 Workshop - Arma 3 missions

Be sure to join our Steam group!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ArmAGAF

Hylian7

I'm glad to finally see this thread happen! I'll be around. We should find some obscure mission to organize a GAF game for.

Yeah, one suggestion, I suggest keeping to small missions for now, like ones that can be done with 5 players or less, and work our way up from there.

Blackburn

Neo Member
I would gladly be part of this community, If weren't european... Seriouly now, If I have the chance to play any mission, you can count on my rifle!

Hylian7

One more thing, when you post missions, be sure to list mods that are required (if any) if the mission's page doesn't list them. I'm thinking we will have a collection of mods we use for everything too, so as we come up with that I will keep a list of that, so everyone can be ready to go for the play sessions.

Hylian7

I like arma 3. People play serious. Are there npc on coop? There are ppl that never talk.

It really depends on the missions. Ideally I'd like an all-human team of players, and if it's co-op against AI's of course. It's really not as fun playing alongside the AI just because there's no communication, and of course their scripting may break.

So I played some king of the hill, and co op on standard arma 3. It's pretty cool. Can anyone give me a rundown on altos life, breaking point? How do I download breaking point mod?

The only reason I know of this game is because of dayz. I love the combat in that game.

The virtual ammo box is confusing, I have to search for attachments to my gun. I have to remember to select the right ammo. Why can't it sort it out once I pick a gun?

Hylian7

So I played some king of the hill, and co op on standard arma 3. It's pretty cool. Can anyone give me a rundown on altos life, breaking point? How do I download breaking point mod?

The only reason I know of this game is because of dayz. I love the combat in that game.

The virtual ammo box is confusing, I have to search for attachments to my gun. I have to remember to select the right ammo. Why can't it sort it out once I pick a gun?

I will say that the types of things we will be playing in this community won't be in line with DayZ, Wasteland, or Altis Life. We will play missions with objectives rather than sandboxes. There may be some missions that seem more "sandbox-like" than others, but for the most part will be regular Arma missions. However, there is A LOT of room for creativity that mission editors out there have applied.

Hylian7

I'm looking on Armaholic for ones that are getting the higher ratings. This one sounds particularly good, especially since the premise is simple and we are just starting out as a community.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16162

Basically we just have to escape, and that's the objective. It's meant for a relatively small number of players.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11029 - This one is "Attack the outpost", meant for four people and takes place in Takistan.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11119 - This sounds like another good one and has high marks as well.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11688

Blackburn

Neo Member

If you mean the VAS addon (Virtual Ammobox System), it is a pain in the ass. The only useful thing you can do with it is save and load profiles. For example, for this mission our unit will be Navy Seals with ak. So, you load your Navy Seals profile and make the adjustents that you need. (Pick an AK, c4, whatever the mission requires). Gearing up from scratch with the VAS should be done once, then you save the profile to reuse it another day. Because the VAS profiles are kept in your PC, you can load them regardless of the server you're playing on.

Hylian7

If you mean the VAS addon (Virtual Ammobox System), it is a pain in the ass. The only useful thing you can do with it is save and load profiles. For example, for this mission our unit will be Navy Seals with ak. So, you load your Navy Seals profile and make the adjustents that you need. (Pick an AK, c4, whatever the mission requires). Gearing up from scratch with the VAS should be done once, then you save the profile to reuse it another day. Because the VAS profiles are kept in your PC, you can load them regardless of the server you're playing on.
I think I actually did try VAS once. It was hard to use, but the loadout saving is nice.

One thing I think needs to go away, or be reduced or something is the damn action menu on the scroll wheel. That thing is so cumbersome, especially for menial tasks like getting in a vehicle or opening a door. If I had a nickel for the number of times I died because of that thing I would be rich. You wanted to change seats in your helicopter? Careful not to eject instead! Running desperately and need to open a door? That's okay you'll just stand still in front of it as you become swiss cheese because instead you changed your weapon.

Hylian7

I loaded up "Escape Chernarus" to try it out myself in Arma 2. I definitely think that's the mission we should start with in our first play session.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking our first play session will be this Saturday, September 6!

We can be flexible on times, and maybe even do two play sessions based on people's time zones.

Blackburn

Neo Member
I loaded up "Escape Chernarus" to try it out myself in Arma 2. I definitely think that's the mission we should start with in our first play session.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking our first play session will be this Saturday, September 6!

We can be flexible on times, and maybe even do two play sessions based on people's time zones.

You should create a Steam group, make an event saying wich mission will be played, if it is arma 2 or 3, mods needed, etc and we can discuss the time there.

Btw, if we could get hands on a TS3 server we could use addons like ACRE or Task Force. Even for small coop missions, they are quite immersive.

Blackburn

Neo Member
What's with fatigue? I walk 10 meters and the guy can't run.

Depends mainly on the posture, running while crouching is deadly. Consider the weight you're carrying, too and be aware that the fatigue is very accumulative. Resting for a few minutes is mandatory. And remeber not to sprint everywhere!

TCKaos

I'd be down. I get off work at around 3PM CST and, as far as I know, I don't have any other obligations that day (which might change any minute now).

Flunkie

Banned
Sweet bros! I'm dizzown for some Arma. Screw your CSGO plague.

Edit: Arma 3 preferred, the ease of downloading the missions through the Workshop and playing them is worth it for the other crap that people don't like about it.

Hylian7

Sweet bros! I'm dizzown for some Arma. Screw your CSGO plague.

Edit: Arma 3 preferred, the ease of downloading the missions through the Workshop and playing them is worth it for the other crap that people don't like about it.

We're probably going to do a bit of both, there's still a bunch of content for Arma 2 that isn't available in Arma 3 (without installing a crapload of stuff), and just getting plain missions in Arma 2 is as easy as dragging one PBO file into a folder.

Flunkie

Banned
We're probably going to do a bit of both, there's still a bunch of content for Arma 2 that isn't available in Arma 3 (without installing a crapload of stuff), and just getting plain missions in Arma 2 is as easy as dragging one PBO file into a folder.

Okay, you've convinced me. I like (am used to) the ZXC (for crouching, prone, etc.) system better in Arma 2 a little better than Arma 3's convulted (yet better) system anyways.

Hylian7

Okay, you've convinced me. I like (am used to) the ZXC (for crouching, prone, etc.) system better in Arma 2 a little better than Arma 3's convulted (yet better) system anyways.

Remember there's an option for Arma 2 controls in Arma 3 if that's what you prefer. I like the Arma 3 controls myself (with the exception of G for Grenade, because I will STILL sometimes throw a grenade when I'm trying to access my gear).

Flunkie

Banned
Remember there's an option for Arma 2 controls in Arma 3 if that's what you prefer. I like the Arma 3 controls myself (with the exception of G for Grenade, because I will STILL sometimes throw a grenade when I'm trying to access my gear).

Lol, biggest fail ever. I know there is but I like the whole "fast walk" thing for not-sprinting. Arma 3 is fluider but I'm just used to Arma 2 so I can do things a lot faster than I can in Arma 3 that tries to make it easier to do but actually makes it more complicated.

I'm all down for some good missions though. I haven't played a whole lot, but I've downloaded a few of the top-rated ones from the Workshop and I'm blown away. Best way to play Arma for sure.

Hylian7

Lol, biggest fail ever. I know there is but I like the whole "fast walk" thing for not-sprinting. Arma 3 is fluider but I'm just used to Arma 2 so I can do things a lot faster than I can in Arma 3 that tries to make it easier to do but actually makes it more complicated.

I'm all down for some good missions though. I haven't played a whole lot, but I've downloaded a few of the top-rated ones from the Workshop and I'm blown away. Best way to play Arma for sure.

Yeah, I've always wanted to play missions like these.

Also, I don't have a dedicated server, so I'm thinking tomorrow or Friday I need to test hosting it on my own machine while playing it. I do have a good machine and good internet connection, so we'll see how it works out. If it doesn't, I'll look into renting a server then.

We will probably only have 4-6 people for the first session, so hosting on my own machine shouldn't be too bad.;

Hylian7

If I'm available when you put the announcement I'll contact you. I'm european and I would like to see if its playable from where I live.
Cool, it still probably be about 4 or 5 hours from now. I might be able to pull in some people from the DayZ GAF mumble so we test it with as many people as possible.

Blackburn

Neo Member
Cool, it still probably be about 4 or 5 hours from now. I might be able to pull in some people from the DayZ GAF mumble so we test it with as many people as possible.

Snap, too late for me. Anyways, from 10 to 15 people should work ok. Be aware that excessive explosions and AI bots can, and possibly will, mess up the server. But I suppose knowing the limit of the PC is a good thing for future missions.

Hylian7

Snap, too late for me. Anyways, from 10 to 15 people should work ok. Be aware that excessive explosions and AI bots can, and possibly will, mess up the server. But I suppose knowing the limit of the PC is a good thing for future missions.
Yeah, and I imagine pitching in the cash for a dedicated server will be an eventuality. For this session at least, I don't expect to have more than 10 people.

Hylian7

Thanks to everyone who helped me test the server setup out. I think we have a working solution for now, so tomorrow I'll post the server info, as well as a mission schedule.

Flunkie

Banned
Thanks to everyone who helped me test the server setup out. I think we have a working solution for now, so tomorrow I'll post the server info, as well as a mission schedule.

Let's do one tonight too. I'm itching to do another and I'm not sure that I will be able to make the Saturday one.

Hylian7

Gentlemen, are you ready for some ARMA tonight?

Quote this post for the server info. I will send another steam announcement around time.

Flunkie

Banned
First Arma night was lots of fun!

I've got two videos of missions coming up soon!

Hopefully the one I was able to join in on! I wanna see my body suspended in the air like a puppet! hahaha

Was good playing with y'all tonight. :) Snake that stealth revive with the dude standing <3m from us was epic.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=310952795
GDHENba.jpg

Hylian7

I'd like to once again invite mission suggestions for this upcoming weekend. I imagine Escape Chernarus will probably be in the mix again as we had a lot of fun with that one over the weekend.

Hylian7

So I will be able to run a TeamSpeak server, do this means I have some mods we will start using this weekend! So far here are the mods I propose, feel free to make suggestions!

ACE
ACRE

Blackburn

Neo Member
So I will be able to run a TeamSpeak server, do this means I have some mods we will start using this weekend! So far here are the mods I propose, feel free to make suggestions!

ACE
ACRE

That is enough for simple missions. Regarding the leadership during missions. I think that a "non military structure" is perfect for ops like escape from cherno. But when it comes to completing more complex missions, hostage rescue, etc, we sould estabish a squad leader. We could discuss breaching plans, exfil routes and the Modus Operandi in general taking advice from everyone but when the first bullet goes past out heads, we won't need secong guessing, we will need a leader.

I'm not saying that leader should be always the same person nor he should be Patton himself but on caotic moments receiving short, direct orders could save the operation. I don't pretend turning this group into a mil-sim clan because I'm already at one and I don't need to be in another. What I really think is that a minimum ammount of "discipline" is the key for this game's enjoyment.

PS: I loved Hylian's videos and I'm looking forward to play :D

Top Bottom