• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Does it matter if the teams protest? From what I gather, Renault has done nothing wrong.

For every protest they’ll likely have to gather evidence to support the fact that he didn’t use his knowledge of other team’s IP. It’s going to be a massive headache, for sure.

M52B28

Banned

I'm legit surprised nobody got this, since it was only a few pages ago.
OH, racism. Ha.

I don't think they disliked each other, I think they were prepared for the competition between each other and it ate into their interactions.

https://youtu.be/rfKN_TwfhnY

Interesting to see the separate combustion chamber idea is actually built into the spark plug!

For those who haven't seen this, one of the early secrets of Mercs engine success in this latest era was that they had a separate chamber with a rich fuel mix in that caused a more efficient burn of the fuel in the cylinder, allowing them to run leaner mixtures & save fuel as well as providing more power. Looks like the spark plug actually takes on this role now.

Fox Mulder

Did Renault shoot themselves in the foot there? Even if they find all these solutions/tricks on their own, nobody will believe them and thus protest.

They can make leaps just by copying behind the scenes stuff like how Mercedes or Redbull configure their wind tunnel tests. They'll know 2018 downforce details of other cars and power levels of every other engine to line their current development up to.

Theyre not going to show up with a redbull or Mercedes clone.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Looks like Robert Wickens going to IndyCar next year is all but inevitable.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/145008-hinchcliffe-wickens-pairing-likely-at-spm-in-2018

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports could become IndyCar's Maple Leaf Mafia if its rumored plans for 2018 come to fruition.

Three-year team veteran James Hinchcliffe is believed to have signed a multi-year extension to remain in the No. 5 Arrow Electronics Honda, where he won a race on his SPM debut in 2015 at NOLA and again this year at Long Beach.

If the second part of the deal is confirmed, the Indianapolis-based program would double up on its Canadian driver roster by pairing Hinchcliffe with countryman Robert Wickens (below), who subbed for former SPM driver Mikhail Aleshin during Friday practice at Road America, in the sister No. 7 Honda.
Prior to his switch to the DTM series with Mercedes in 2012, Wickens amassed eight years of open-wheel experience in North America and Europe where the highlights included placing third in the 2007 Champ Car Atlantic series, second in the 2008 FIA Formula 2 championship, and first in the 2011 Formula Renault 3.5 Series, where he came out on top of Jean-Eric Vergne, Alexander Rossi, Daniel Ricciardo, and Brendon Hartley to earn the title.

Wickens is another former Red Bull junior. If history had gone another way, I'd be rooting for Wickens in F1 instead of Stroll.

Yen

Will be brilliant if Renault show up next year with a race winning car. Not just making things more interesting race-wise, but imagine the outcry.

Razgreez

Will be brilliant if Renault show up next year with a race winning car. Not just making things more interesting race-wise, but imagine the outcry.

Things would perhaps reach a melting point if they were to show up with a specific key advantage in the vain of the double-diffuser i.e. one that could not easily be replicated without a drastic change to the design of a car, and that was to be found on only one other car. But such a development is probably unlikely.

Given the current situation I wouldn't be surprised if they show up with a car that looks like a mashup between a ferrari and a redbull yet even that is unlikely since, according to most experts, the development of current cars are dictated primarily by the design of the floor and diffuser followed by their monocoque and everything else is then developed around those elements. So it would most likely end up looking like either one or the other in such a situation.

Aiii

So not worth it
OH, racism. Ha.

You missed the point. There was no racism, just an assumption of racism because people did not like Lewis Hamilton.

I reckon everyone can acknowledge Lewis has a very divisive personality, and he often has a bit of an off-putting personality that makes it easy to dislike him, especially for more casual followers of the sport that don't often see the other, more aproachable, side of Lewis.

Just to be clear, we're not saying there is none in the sport, right?
This would be the wrong conclusion, definitely. It is a problem in this sport, much like any other. It's not meant to make fun of racism either. It's a stupid inside joke from the thread/community and we should leave it at that.

I think if anything, assuming people dislike Hamilton solely due to his skin colour makes light of actual racism.

But yes, it's probably best left alone.

M52B28

Banned
But yes, it's probably best left alone.
I agree, and thats because i feel like its a discussion that can't be had because others are reaching for narratives that dismiss the possibility of racism itself.

In a sport that favors fair skinned Europeans, there is definitely going to be undertones of racism that plays into many things that go on.

To suggest that there isn't is just avoiding the elephant that is likely in the room, and black people are really sick of having to tell people this when it's right in front of people's faces.

Heading out to the US in the morning. Must admit that I'm not particularly interested in the race because of the championship situation, but if it rains (currently forecast), then it could be an interesting one at least.

M52B28

Banned
Heading out to the US in the morning. Must admit that I'm not particularly interested in the race because of the championship situation, but if it rains (currently forecast), then it could be an interesting one at least.
I wouldn't bet on there being rain on the forecast. Results of the race should be pretty cut and dry considering the history and nature of this track (slinging corners and long straights.)

You missed the point. There was no racism, just an assumption of racism because people did not like Lewis Hamilton.

I reckon everyone can acknowledge Lewis has a very divisive personality, and he often has a bit of an off-putting personality that makes it easy to dislike him, especially for more casual followers of the sport that don't often see the other, more aproachable, side of Lewis.
His personality isnt any fucking different than other winning drivers. But his faults and missteps seem to be pounced on with a ferocity I dont see with other drivers.
And his racing on track is clean. People should get the fuck over themselves. Crying about a radio transmission. Crying about who wears what. Crying about one comment in a short interview. Crying about what Lewis did in his off time. I dont know whose more of a fucking diva, Lewis Hamilton or his anti-fan club.

Dilly

Banned
Mercedes could change whole car concept for 2018, that are the latest rumors.

Next year could be really interesting with Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari at the front. I also think Renault will make enough progress to get a few podiums, and who knows where McLaren ends up.

Aiii

So not worth it
His personality isnt any fucking different than other winning drivers. But his faults and missteps seem to be pounced on with a ferocity I dont see with other drivers.
And his racing on track is clean. People should get the fuck over themselves. Crying about a radio transmission. Crying about who wears what. Crying about one comment in a short interview. Crying about what Lewis did in his off time. I dont know whose more of a fucking diva, Lewis Hamilton or his anti-fan club.

Take a deep breath.

I got depressed again when I saw that it's race weekend again and all the articles coming up on my Twitter feed. Fuuuck.

I'm sure Vettel will turn it all around, brotkasten, have some faith.

Razgreez

Mercedes could change whole car concept for 2018, that are the latest rumors.

It's not like they have a choice to maintain the existing one. Were it not for the power advantage and the developmental issues and reliability of other teams they may have been looking at 2nd or even 3rd place in the constructors this season.

As a Mercedes supporter I won't accept anything less than domination :p

Which is why I need to mentally prepare myself for the car potentially being rubbish next season. Optimism, hope and faith are the leading causes of disappointment and depression after all

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It's not like they have a choice to maintain the existing one. Were it not for the power advantage and the developmental issues and reliability of other teams they may have been looking at 2nd or even 3rd place in the constructors this season.
Well, we all know that 'Diva' got pretty screwed with suspension ban and team did an amazing job to transforming it into current state.

If they decided to ditch this long wheelbase, low rake concept they have already done that several months ago. Or they will try to do something else and took Williams route down (just kidding).

Mohonky

Well, we all know that 'Diva' got pretty screwed with suspension ban and team did an amazing job to transforming it into current state.

If they decided to ditch this long wheelbase, low rake concept they have already done that several months ago. Or they will try to do something else and took Williams route down (just kidding).

I considered why they never went shorter wheelbase but I think its a little too much to do mid season, its a while new car to shorten the wheel base. You have to redesign everything from the nose backward to redustribute hiw the air will flow to get it where it needs to be.

John_B

Mercedes is in a tough position with either trying to fix some fundemental issues or move to a new concept. Whatever the decision it should have been made by now. It bodes well for another competitive season next year.

JDB

Banned

FBuS1FP.gif

Lego Boss

I think it's interesting that he is such a clean driver. He is really quick, but rarely gets into the scrapes that other drivers have had (although I recall one season where him and Massa went at it all the time).

In comparison to Vettel, it's like the difference between Ricciardo and Crashtappen.

I think it's interesting that he is such a clean driver. He is really quick, but rarely gets into the scrapes that other drivers have had (although I recall one season where him and Massa went at it all the time).

In comparison to Vettel, it's like the difference between Ricciardo and Crashtappen.
With 2011 I think there's enough hindsight evidence that just plainly shows that Massa cannot race wheel to wheel.

DBT85

Mercedes is in a tough position with either trying to fix some fundemental issues or move to a new concept. Whatever the decision it should have been made by now. It bodes well for another competitive season next year.
Trying to swap to a high rake car mid season was never going to happen. It changes so much on the car that it is only something they can do at the start of a new project. With the trick suspension getting thrown out they were left with a fairly good car and a beast of a PU. Little doubt they'll turn up next year with a high take setup. Will be cool to see how they compete against Ferrari and Redbull who are already there and have lots of data.

akileese

Are we doing any sort of GAF meetup for Austin? My buddy who was gonna go to the race had to go back to Finland to get his visa sorted so while my wife and kid are in Austin with me, I'll be rolling solo at the track.

John_B

Please tone it down with the passive aggressive racism talk. People tried to change the subject many times now. We can have those discussions when there is an actual news worthy incident (a NeoGAF thread doesn’t count, imo).

I just looked at that video and damn...Hamilton was a knob on some of those. Now India on the other hand looked like Massa's fault...also it left out the second Monaco incident where Hamilton passed Massa in the tunnel and Massa got caught up on the marbles and left the tunnel lit up in a hail of sparks.
Please tone it down with the passive aggressive racism talk. People tried to change the subject many times now. We can have those discussions when there is an actual news worthy incident (a NeoGAF thread doesn't count, imo).
I'm quite sure DD is joking with this.

FrankCanada97

Strange happenings in F2, apparently Lawrence Stroll vetoed an agreement to sign Lando Norris at Prema. Norris in the Prema car would have certainly had the F2 championship locked. Now he is looking to sign with ART. There have been rumours that Sean Gelael is going to be one of the Prema drivers. This is mystifying because Prema's budget is not something that would warrant taking on a paydriver, especially one as bad as Gelael.

FrankCanada97

It's weird, as a part owner of Prema wouldn't Stroll Sr. want to have the best drivers in his team? Money is no object for Prema so why take on Gelael over Norris?

A cynic would say that Stroll Sr. is deliberately trying to sabotage Norris' career in order to delay his entry into F1 where Norris might show up Lance Stroll. But if that were so, why didn't he veto Charles Leclerc's signing with Prema this year?

I don't see what motives Stroll Sr. could possibly have. Maybe Gelael is blackmailing the Strolls? (Don't take this last suggestion seriously.)

xrnzaaas

Strange happenings in F2, apparently Lawrence Stroll vetoed an agreement to sign Lando Norris at Prema. Norris in the Prema car would have certainly had the F2 championship locked. Now he is looking to sign with ART. There have been rumours that Sean Gelael is going to be one of the Prema drivers. This is mystifying because Prema's budget is not something that would warrant taking on a paydriver, especially one as bad as Gelael.

That dickhead is not busy sabotaging Kubica's (potential) comeback? Seems like a more urgent matter to attend to.

Top Bottom