• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Nintendo's Switch games be like Sega's Dreamcast games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubenhimer

A big reason why I love the Dreamcast was because it had not only had Sega's best 1st party output since the Genesis, but it also had some of Sega's most creative and risky games. Jet Grind Radio, Space Channel 5, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Rez, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Typing of the Dead, Phantasy Star Online, Seaman. These are games that pushed bounderies, dared to be different from the norm, and took established franchises to new hights. However, can Nintendo be like that with the Switch? They were actually kind of like this with the DS. Kirby Canvas Curse, Elite Beat Agents, Trace Memory, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, ASH, all their DSiWare games, etc. were all games that dared to be different as well as took established franchises in interesting directions. Recently they restructured their in-house studios (all of them now under the collective name of EPD) to place a bigger focus on younger talent. Plus, with the Switch being both a handheld and console, it frees up many of their other teams and studios to do other projects, which in turn, leads to MORE off-the-wall games like Splatoon or EBA.

It would be a breath of fresh air, especially how shockingly safe most of their output on the Wii U has been. If Nintendo has this structure, in addition to indie, mobile, and japanese devs on board, the Switch could very well have the potential to preserve the Dreamcast-style game design.

Orayn

With any luck, yes. Nintendo's full creative output focused on a single system with some new teams is likely to be more interesting than what they'd make while desperately trying to keep two systems above water with minimal third party support.

All I know is that kind of creative title would completely go away for a theoretical third party Nintendo who can only make money on software and thus can't afford to take any risks.

Super Mario will probably better games than Sonic Adventure 1&2 ever were. :p
Seriously, though, I'm feeling pretty confident about the quality of software Nintendo will put out. Might not be like the dreamcast since that was early into the 3D era and was just when those types of games were getting good, but it'll be good for other reasons.
They'll be able to focus all of their efforts into making games for one platform and they won't have to make multiples of 3D Mario/Karts/Smash/Zelda etc so they can focus on newer experiences. Kind of like when some Animal Crossing devs made Splatoon instead of Animal Crossing Wii U.
They also have a generation of HD experience with engines and art assets that can help them when developing new games especially since they don't have to relearn how to develop most of this like most generational leaps.

Maybe. One of the secret best things about the Switch is that if this replaces both handhelds and consoles, they can no longer double dip games like Mario Kart. Which in turn means they can turn to make other games. The Mario Kart team could make an F-Zero for example. Splatoon could continue. Metroid has more of a chance to get an open team.

In general, one could expect a more diverse library if Nintendo really did consolidate their two divisions.

It's a little exciting to think that Nintendo are going to be making games for a console that isn't about gimmicks. No motion Contol focus or touch screen. They have the option but I feel they are not force to use them this time.

Jubenhimer

It's a little exciting to think that Nintendo are going to be making games for a console that isn't about gimmicks. No motion Contol focus or touch screen. They have the option but I feel they are not force to use them this time.
The Switch is pretty much garuenteed to have touch and motion controls and knowing Nintendo they will implement them whenever they see fit. They may not be the selling points anymore, but they're basically industry standard now, to toss them out would just be going backwards.

The Switch is pretty much garuenteed to have touch and motion controls and knowing Nintendo they will implement them whenever they see fit. They may not be the selling points anymore, but they're basically industry standard now, to toss them out would just be going backwards.
I know. I just mean it wouldn't be as necessary because when the Switch is docked you'll be using the Joy Con so games like Paper Mario Color Splash wouldn't have the cumbersome touch screen controls. There more optional then they were before basically.

There are rumors (from Emily Rogers I believe) that they're creating a brand new franchise that's "weird," similar to the vibe Splatoon gave when it was first revealed. So, hopefully they have some surprises planned.

DMONKUMA

Yea that would be pretty amazing if it does happen.

Give me something like Virtual-On or PSO and I'll be there.

Jubenhimer

No. Wii U was "creative" and "risky".

Switch is going to be safe and profitable.
Wii U was a slapped together cash-grab trying to capitalize on the success of the Wii, without understanding why it was a success. It's a much safer product than people think, and that's a big reason why it failed.

Switch feels like a more well thought out product with some actually novel ideas.

I know. I just mean it wouldn't be as necessary because when the Switch is docked you'll be using the Joy Con so games like Paper Mario Color Splash wouldn't have the cumbersome touch screen controls. There more optional then they were before basically.

Yeah, there will be less incentive for developers to force in a feature just because it's there. But, you should expect to see plenty of novel implementations of the Switch's features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom