• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

For cheaper. Like less than 20 bucks

As much as I'm buying every single release and a lot of people enjoy the different releases, it's stuff like this that doesn't make a lot of sense. Releasing games that are already available on other regions (Deemo, Skullgirls), games that have been confirmed to get releases by other publishers (that Play-Asia shmup, Wonder Boy) and games that have been available wholepiece on other platforms (Image & Form games). I know signing new games it's not as easy as it may look, but why don't they go for stuff that's actually unavailable physically otherwise?

Ventara

It's funny how an amazing announcement can be ruined by how it's handled. Seriously, stare into the abyss and the abyss stares back and all that.

Shizuka

IMG_1422.jpg

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Crash Landed did an unboxing of that Alchemic Jousts Play-Asia release. Did anyone here order it?

Alchemic Jousts Limited Play-Asia Edition Unboxing

Nice little tidbit;

Though I will say the cardboard is a little on the thin side, and can become easily creased when opening, so I’d definitely recommend prying the lid open slowly with something long and flat (by sliding it under the tab) to negate any possible damage.

DDQ2AvoXsAECyF8.jpg

Olengie

Didnt want Alchemic Jousts
As much as I'm buying every single release and a lot of people enjoy the different releases, it's stuff like this that doesn't make a lot of sense. Releasing games that are already available on other regions (Deemo, Skullgirls), games that have been confirmed to get releases by other publishers (that Play-Asia shmup, Wonder Boy) and games that have been available wholepiece on other platforms (Image & Form games). I know signing new games it's not as easy as it may look, but why don't they go for stuff that's actually unavailable physically otherwise?

You know what I want the most. :p

oldmario

i wish the copy i got was sealed officially like that
but i can't complain tho since the seller refunded me after sending them a message to say the game had been heatshrink wrapped by a third party with proof that the game originally came with a tear seal

Hm, I want to be excited about SteamWorld Collection but I picked up the PS4 collection for less than $15 recently. I don't think I will double dip if the games are sold separately on Vita.

Chesskid1

Banned
if they have to split a game into two carts for the vita they should make a slipcover that will hold both games as an little extra

that would be pretty cool, it doesn't cost much (see ps4 broken age) and it would get more people to buy both copies!

Pre-orders for the Play-Asia edition of Ghost Blade HD just went live about fifteen minutes ago. It's in the priority pre-order stage so you'll have to log-in with an account in order for the cart option to become available. Thought I'd give fellow LRG users a heads-up given their quantity has been reduced in response to this variant being made and it could serve as a substitute for those that are or aren't worried about grabbing the Western edition later in November/December.

Jimm

To be fair, the argument for getting the Steamworld games is they aren't available physically on Vita at all, and a split release is all they realistically can do since a joint release would require additional work and a combined trophy list (so essentially a worse version) according to their forums.

I know the collection is like 1/3 of the price on PS4 but yeah, it'd be interesting if they release the games seperately what the numbers are like as I too would prefer to get games that you can't get physically at all anywhere such as the upcoming Va-11 Hall-A.

It makes me wonder if not releasing the Steamworld collection at all would be better for their reputation as those customers who aren't as into the nitty gritty or those wanting complete sets may not understand its separate or nothing.

Separate is fine. Lets see the prices for both. I've resisted the PS4 version for myself after gifting it to multiple people just because I want them physical for a portable not home console.

mosaic

go eat paint
I literally spent the last 2 hours reading this entire thread. I order the occasional release from LRG, but my interest in them is more for their business model and the evolution they've shown (and not shown) in the last year or so. This thread is a running record of a business fighting to carve a niche, carving a successful niche, and then getting smacked on all sides by challenges due to that success.

In a way, LRG placed limits on their growth by creating a "small print" phenomenon. People are rarely buying their games to play anymore, but to collect because of the limited nature. However, right off you see the problem with that from a business perspective. If they continue doing 2 releases every 2 weeks and maintain 3,000-4,000 copy runs, they hit a ceiling on profit. Unfortunately, because of their success, competitors will poach potential releases unless they increase the royalties to the developers/primary publishers. So they need more releases or to up the print runs.

But if they do either of those things, they risk alienating the "gotta catch em all" collectors and the speculative flipper folks.

It sounds like the most anxiety-inducing business model ever.

So I get why the owners occasionally make posts that seem mean-spirited to customers or come off like "buy X game or we don't license Y game." I'd probably need anger management courses. Of course, that could kill sales just as fast as print runs that exceed the demand curve....

This is more exciting than watching Shark Tank for me.

Also, someone needs to make a game where you run an outfit like LRG. Then, LRG can promise to publish it only if we show interest in Breach and Clear Dead Line 2.

Lol. I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I understand the logistics of bundling them together makes things more costly, but this one really stings when it's happened on every other platform the series got a physical release on... as well as that being like 10 months ago so those copies are now going for super-cheap now, whereas this'll likely be $50 for both.

I might just buy Heist. We'll have to see.

And yet, I hope if this release does take an extra day or a few to sell, they don't blame it on Vita fans switching to the Switch or not willing to buy physical releases anymore.

Interestingly, Josh tweeted this just:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/879506721651261440

I've been so oblivious to the Vita subreddit I didn't realize the general opinion of us was low there. I think an AMA needs to happen.

I'm taking that as a good thing, that he's engaging with other communities more. Because certainly the sentiment on reddit wasn't that DB's price was a ripoff, but he'll get hung up on a couple of people saying it on Twitter and run with it.

Hopefully he expands to GAF a bit more too.

hawk2025

Finished the Dear Esther LRG version in one sitting. The game remains incredible and is clearly a blueprint for so, so many games that followed.

Ok, you guys have your VNs, I have my walking simulators. There are SO many I want:

- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
- What Remains of Edith Finch
- The Unfinished Swan
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
- Gone Home
- Amnesia Collection
- Soma
- Valley (kinda stretching it, since it's pretty much a first person platformer)

All of these would go very well with Firewatch and Dear Esther.

Interestingly, Josh tweeted this just:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/879506721651261440

I'm taking that as a good thing, that he's engaging with other communities more. Because certainly the sentiment on reddit wasn't that DB's price was a ripoff, but he'll get hung up on a couple of people saying it on Twitter and run with it.

Hopefully he expands to GAF a bit more too.

I'm confused. Didn't he stop posting for a bit on here a while ago, because the negativity was getting to him? And now he's apparently doing AMAs when the general opinion is low somewhere. I guess that is growth?

Also, is the general opinion on GAF on them not low enough for an AMA, or how should we take this? :)

Finished the Dear Esther LRG version in one sitting. The game remains incredible and is clearly a blueprint for so, so many games that followed.

Ok, you guys have your VNs, I have my walking simulators. There are SO many I want:

- The Unfinished Swan
- Gone Home
- Amnesia Collection
- Soma
- Valley (kinda stretching it, since it's pretty much a first person platformer)

I would buy big, sexy collectors editions of both of these.

I'm confused. Didn't he stop posting for a bit on here a while ago, because the negativity was getting to him? And now he's apparently doing AMAs when the general opinion is low somewhere. I guess that is growth?

Also, is the general opinion on GAF on them not low enough for an AMA, or how should we take this? :)

Do people do AMA's here often?

We can if that would make everyone happen! :D

-Douglas

takoyaki

Ok, you guys have your VNs, I have my walking simulators.

whynotboth.gif

There are SO many I want:

- The Unfinished Swan
- Gone Home
- Amnesia Collection
- Soma

Those are some great, genre-defining games and I'd be totally on board with LRG releases. But some of them might fall into that weird category they mentioned on their E3 stream where indie games that were a big success and got enough attention become harder to get for LRG and fall more into the territory of someone like a 505 Games.

hawk2025

whynotboth.gif

Those are some great, genre-defining games and I'd be totally on board with LRG releases. But some of them might fall into that weird category they mentioned on their E3 stream where indie games that were a big success and got enough attention become harder to get for LRG and fall more into the territory of someone like a 505 Games.

Definitelyboth.gif

True, but all of these seem to have fallen through the cracks :(

takoyaki

Definitelyboth.gif

True, but all of these seem to have fallen through the cracks :(

With the Limbo/Inside double pack just announced today, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Amnesia/Soma bundle from them.

And Gone Home was such a groundbreaking game, I'm sure it will get a physical release at some point. Might still take some time, but one of these days, we'll get a Criterion Collection equivalent for gaming. Nice cover-art, booklet, making-of and behind the scenes stuff, ...

edit: There's enough people with a serious interest in gaming as an art-form, the way the medium is covered has changed a lot thanks to "walking simulators" and other indie game and there are just too many collectors out there for this to not be a thing at some point; I've been waiting for years and LRG is the closest thing so far :)

With the Limbo/Inside double pack just announced today, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Amnesia/Soma bundle from them.

And Gone Home was such a groundbreaking game, I'm sure it will get a physical release at some point. Might still take some time, but one of these days, we'll get a Criterion Collection equivalent for gaming. Nice cover-art, booklet, making-of and behind the scenes stuff, ...

Soma is a Sony first party game and very unlikely. Trust me I've been to meetings with Sony twice now to beg for it and they are very adamant about not letting anyone touch first party titles.

takoyaki

Soma is a Sony first party game and very unlikely. Trust me I've been to meetings with Sony twice now to beg for it and they are very adamant about not letting anyone touch first party titles.

I thought it might be a problem with The Unfinished Swan and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Didn't know Soma was so closely tied to Sony as well :/

edit: optimistic me would like to think those three could show up in some form directly via Sony, like the Journey Collectors Edition. But Sony seem to be less interested in positioning themselves as the place for indie games right now, so I'm not holding my breath.

hawk2025

I *think* you mean EGTTR, but damnit either way :(

Thanks for trying though, I've been happy to see that LRG does not have a negative reaction to these types of games!

Clive

Soma is a Sony first party game and very unlikely.

Is it really? On the store page all I can find is:
Frictional Games AB
Copyright © 2015 Frictional Games

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/soma/cid=UP1192-CUSA03333_00-HPL3SOMAGAME2015

I would be absolutely thrilled to buy SOMA again only this time on disc if possible.

Wish Sony would have continued to publish their smaller titles in Asia. Alienation and Shadow of the Beast were both in my honest opinion great. Haven't played Fat Princess yet. Would have been great to see more.

hawk2025

Is it really? On the store page all I can find is:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/soma/cid=UP1192-CUSA03333_00-HPL3SOMAGAME2015

I would be absolutely thrilled to buy SOMA again only this time on disc if possible.

Wish Sony would have continued to publish their smaller titles in Asia. Alienation and Shadow of the Beast were both in my honest opinion great. Haven't played Fat Princess yet. Would have been great to see more.

I just got Shadow of the Beast on the sale yesterday and can't believe I avoided it before. It's a great game, the combat system is awesome.

Clive

I just got Shadow of the Beast on the sale yesterday and can't believe I avoided it before. It's a great game, the combat system is awesome.

It's incredibly underrated in my opinion and it gets better with replays too. Combat is really satisfying and the different attacks draining one "meter" while refilling another adds a bit of depth and strategy. Makes you feel badass when you've levelled up a bit. At first I thought it was a bit clunky though but during my third playthrough I was an unstoppable beast. The original Amiga music is incredible too so make sure you unlock that. I rarely go for platinum trophies these days but that was a game I wanted to continue until I unlocked it. Well worth the import price to me. Some rough edges but a lot of heart.

test_account

XP-39C²
i wish the copy i got was sealed officially like that
but i can't complain tho since the seller refunded me after sending them a message to say the game had been heatshrink wrapped by a third party with proof that the game originally came with a tear seal
I think it sometimes variate from country to country on a few titles actually. For example, i bought Child of Light from 3 places in the UK, and all of them were heatshrink wrapped. I also asked one of the stores where i bought it, none of their copies (from what i gathered) had a tearstrip seal.

LRG replied to someone's wishlist on TVL forums and it had this interesting bit in:

http://thevitalounge.net/forum/threads/limitedrungames.3072/page-236#post-74692

Guacamelee
Nope sadly, thought we would but aren't.

Wonder what happened with Drinkbox. Thought they'd be all over the limited physical release craze.

Also, I notice Doug saying in here that Sony games aren't possible, something he backed up in the LRG thread:

Unfinished Swan
First party title so probably not

I thought Sound Shapes was published by Sony though, yet we got this:

Sound Shapes
Possible!

horkrux

I have a question! How are things going regarding localizations? When do you expect to announce your first foray into localization?

I'm going to Anime Expo to either finalize our first localization project or to fail.

Keep your fingers crossed for me! I've been seriously fighting hard for this.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to Anime Expo to either finalize our first localization project or to fail.

You guys really need some confident boosters, so see how much you've accomplished this far! Seriously!

I do hope you guys do make some magic happen at AX though. Good luck!!

Shizuka

The author of Fata Morgana will be at Anime Expo this year, attending MG's panel. https://twitter.com/mangagamer/status/875806701731139584

MG also has a form link they tweeted if you can't attend but want to ask questions.

TOTALLY NON-SPOILER EVERYONE HAS ALREADY PROBABLY GUESSED:

Keika Hanada isn't going to AX solely to appear on a panel ;3

Heavy-Breathing-Cat.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom