• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lots of new Valve/SteamVR "Knuckles" Controller info (separate finger tracking!)

Theonik

What? The Lighthouses cant track anything but the controller.
The controller is attached to your hand and is tracked thus you get accurate hand tracking in 3D space.

So "finger curl" is probably more like "amount of finger (starting from the base) touching a trackpad like surface"?
You don't need to touch a surface to measure capacitance variations. That's true of touchscreens as well. The way you interpret measurements in inputs is part of the engineering that goes into the devices. Hell Vita's touchscreen was so sensitive you could hover over it and it would register!

Mihos

Gold Member
I like it, but man, we need input standardized as soon as possible. At least a standard framework so we don't have to have a list of supported/unsupported.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You don't need to touch a surface to measure capacitance variations. That's true of touchscreens as well. The way you interpret measurements in inputs is part of the engineering that goes into the devices. Hell Vita's touchscreen was so sensitive you could hover over it and it would register!
Right, but you're not actually touching the surface when using a touchscreen or trackpad - there are several layers of glass and/or plastic in between. But I understand what you're saying - didn't know that about the Vita - the obvious challenge is overcoming the loss of accuracy when sensing from a greater distance.

Durante

I like it, but man, we need input standardized as soon as possible. At least a standard framework so we don't have to have a list of supported/unsupported.
Well, as I said previously, these can easily emulate (and even improve upon) the Vive controller inputs.

Also, to some extent it is "standardized" -- there's nothing in the OpenVR API that needs to change to support these controllers, and the API even provides controller models so a correctly implemented game should work with no changes (without using the new features of course).
If by "standardized" you mean "have only one layout across all hardware and stick with it forever" then I think it's still too early for that, and it would quite severely hamper innovation.

Nzyme32

I'm not sure they would be made by HTC, Valve could build them.

I'd personally like that primarily because I'd hope that we get another amazing robotic construction video out of it.

For the sake of argument, this seems very likely. There is some hardware buzz I can't really mention right now, but also of note Steam Hardware now have a Twitter account as of 2 months back. They are ramping up to something.

Also concave trackpad is what I've been waiting for. Hoping it works as well as I think and hoping the Steam Controller goes that route

Paganmoon

Hoping these will be the standard controller shipped with the LG HMD, if it isn't too late for LG to redesign their controllers that is.

I'd buy these day 1, if available stand alone as well. Could use the Vive wands as leg or arm trackers.

Steel

Banned
These controllers are so exciting. They are going to add another level to VR.

next thing we need really bad is feet tracking.

The number of times I've kicked in Superhot out of reflex is kinda embarrassing, yeah. Maybe stockings with sensors embedded in them?

Durante

In terms of foot/leg tracking, if a good number of current Vive owners upgrade to these controllers there will be a lot of Vive controllers kicking around which could easily be attached to shins for "free" leg tracking.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So "finger curl" is probably more like "amount of finger (starting from the base) touching a trackpad like surface"?

current Oculus Touch controller already has limited finger tracking without needing to touch the surface.

As much as feet tracking would be cool, I think the focus needs to be on cheaper and faster setup after the knuckles controllers. Wireless addons are a good start for faster setup.

Kayhan

BDDB51567E76736F32A05ED6A0BEA4A8BCA5A338

I got some Knuckles in your Knuckles so you can Knuckle when you Knuckle.

.....I will Knuckle myself out.

I still feel no desire to have an analog stick. Trackpad is as good + way more functionality for me.

Also, "Knuckles controllers currently have a 3 hour battery life." That seems... not great.

Durante

As much as feet tracking would be cool, I think the focus needs to be on cheaper and faster setup after the knuckles controllers. Wireless addons are a good start for faster setup.
And single-rotor sync-on-beam Lighthouse 2.0s are a great start for cheaper overall setup cost!

Less than half the internal components per lighthouse, likely (this is mostly my speculation) less need for complex calibration during manufacturing, and all while increasing accuracy and range further.

In terms of foot/leg tracking, if a good number of current Vive owners upgrade to these controllers there will be a lot of Vive controllers kicking around which could easily be attached to shins for "free" leg tracking.

Can the Vive support more than two controllers?

And single-rotor sync-on-beam Lighthouse 2.0s are a great start for cheaper overall setup cost!

Less than half the internal components per lighthouse, likely (this is mostly my speculation) less need for complex calibration during manufacturing, and all while increasing accuracy and range further.
most definitely. The manufacturing cost of the lighthouses is deceptively high.

I wonder how far away we are from outside in tracking + HMD + finger tracking controllers hitting the $600 range.

technologically it can for sure. Just would need implemented. It can already track more than just the headset and 2 controllers. The puck addon is available.

Durante

The Vive HMD specifically can't, in terms of communication bandwidth, but the OpenVR ecosystem can support a ridiculous number.

They could ship the knuckle controllers with a $3 USB receiver to make them independent of the HMD in use.

Theonik

Right, but you're not actually touching the surface when using a touchscreen or trackpad - there are several layers of glass and/or plastic in between. But I understand what you're saying - didn't know that about the Vita - the obvious challenge is overcoming the loss of accuracy when sensing from a greater distance.
Might be easier to imagine the controller being fixed to your palm. What the touchpad can sense is how many fingers are touching the surface, how much of each finger is touching a surface and with less accuracy how far the finger is from a point of the surface. Fingers have a reasonably limited range of motion. Even if you were limited to finger curl that's still reasonably good for much finger motion!

The HMD can't, the OpenVR ecosystem can support a ridiculous number.

They could ship the knuckle controllers with a $3 USB receiver to make them independent of the HMD in use.
a nice small receiver that can plug into the USB slot in the HMD

is there any USB extension cables available similar to the one that the Vive Pre had for that USB?

I think going forward inside-out tracking is the only way to go.
I dont see inside out ever reaching the accuracy of outside in.

The Vive HMD specifically can't, in terms of communication bandwidth, but the OpenVR ecosystem can support a ridiculous number.

How are developers using pucks? Just as replacements for Vive controllers?

Tain

I really, really want a single analog stick, but the ergonomics and finger tracking are thrilling. I'm really excited to try these.

Durante

I think going forward inside-out tracking is the only way to go.
Marker-less?
Because the Lighthouse system is inside-out tracking (with markers).

When you show me markerless inside-out tracking for controllers that works remotely as accurately, reliably and in as many scenarios as Lighthouse (1.0, never mind 2.0) does I'll become a believer in that. But I think that's still a long way off.

How are developers using pucks? Just as replacements for Vive controllers?
Using USB receivers. You can have 10+ trackers running at the same time.

Marker-less?
Because the Lighthouse system is inside-out tracking (with markers).

When you show me markerless inside-out tracking for controllers that works remotely as accurately, reliably and in as many scenarios as Lighthouse (1.0, never mind 2.0) does I'll become a believer in that. But I think that's still a long way off.

Sure markerless is great, but that's not what I was responding to. Other guy was suggesting outside-in tracking which I think is a step backward.

Ive always looked at vive as outside in, but this makes sense.

Vive is absolutely inside-out tracking.

Durante

I really, really want a single analog stick, but the ergonomics and finger tracking are thrilling. I'm really excited to try these.
Well, I hope you don't get your wish, because I very decidedly do not want an analog stick on my VR controllers. Certainly not instead of the touch pad, and certainly not at my thumbs natural resting position.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Might be easier to imagine the controller being fixed to your palm. What the touchpad can sense is how many fingers are touching the surface, how much of each finger is touching a surface and with less accuracy how far the finger is from a point of the surface. Fingers have a reasonably limited range of motion. Even if you were limited to finger curl that's still reasonably good for much finger motion!
Yeah, I get your meaning. Sounds like it could work reasonably well.

Top Bottom