• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's all tweet Nintendo for a new online Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack/Puzzle League

ReyVGM

It would be amazing if Nintendo took what Sega did with Puyo Puyo Tetris and applied it to a new Panel de Pon/Puzzle League, for the Switch, with online matches.

So let's tweet them about it!

For those who don't know, Panel de Pon is a puzzle game released for the Super Famicom, later reformatted into Tetris Attack by using Yoshi characters. What makes this game so unique and addicting, is that instead of managing falling pieces like in most puzzle games, you instead get a rising wall of pieces and it's your job to manually move each 2-set piece to match with others of the same type. The fact that you can manipulate each piece allows you to create some cool combos and crazy amazing chains. Oh yeah, and the soundtrack-is-awesome.
BhxORbj.png

Check out this gif of how you can manipulate the pieces to have top pieces fall and match with bottom pieces once the middle ones are gone. This game is fun as a beginner, but once you start making those combos and chains and become a pro, you'll be hooked.
5ZlZZ3G.gif

This game was hugely hyped on EGM back in the day, but Super Puzzle Fighter stole its thunder thanks to the Street Fighter characters and because it was on newer consoles (despite the game being somewhat of a Puyo Puyo clone. It was still a blast to play though).
During the N64/GBC era, Nintendo reformatted the game again into Pokemon Puzzle League, it retained all the great modes from the original but this time with the Pokemon license. Later during the Gamecube era, they remade Panel de Pon along with Dr Mario and Yoshi's Cookie into Nintendo Puzzle Collection, unfortunately this game never came out in English. Sad, because it's a great package.

The last whimpers of this saga came during the DS era, with a couple of soulless entries titled Planet Puzzle League, and Puzzle League Express. They were just sterile versions of Panel de Pon without any characters attached to it. Look at this awfulness:
cuEHL9v.jpg

1WtED4Z.jpg

So? Get cracking and tweet Nintendo about it!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Tetris Attack would have been perfect to have on the SNES Classic. It's weird that they totally bypassed the puzzle genre, and it's an ASTOUNDING 2p game to take advantage of that second controller.

Just redo the title screen as "Yoshi's Puzzle League" or whatever if the Tetris trademark is problematic.

Nanashrew

Banned
Puzzle League is legit GOAT.

Before it disappeared, I played it every day and used to be able to do the 1-frame chains. Made it so far in very hard mode too. And 3D mode is sooo fun because of how much they give you to play with combos and chains.

I miss it.

ggx2ac

While it tried to poorly imitate Lumines' art style, Planet Puzzle League is my favorite game in the series solely for the addition of stylus controls. Dragging blocks around instead of rapidly hitting a button makes for faster gameplay, allowing you to more quickly put together combos with ease.

-shadow-

I genuinely think it's the Tetris License that keeps the original from being re-release outside of Japan. Shame really, because it's an amazing game. I wonder why they never bothered releasing it when they did have the Tetris license for the Game Boy release on the VC for the 3DS?
Well that and why they never bothered just changing the name...

I'm glad they're including it in the Super Famicom classic in Japan.

Did N3DS VC games have download play multiplayer? Would have been great to play multiplayer Panel de Pon...

I agree that it'd be great to see the series back, it's a shame that Nintendo doesn't really produce many puzzle games anymore. In the golden age we had Intelligent Systems on Puzzle League, HAL (or Jupiter) on Picross, Nintendo on Tetris DS, Mitchell on Polarium/Sujin Taisen and Wakugumi: Monochrome Puzzle, MindWare on Trailblazer, etc...

But at least we got Pullblox and Fallblox!

I genuinely think it's the Tetris License that keeps the original from being re-release outside of Japan. Shame really, because it's an amazing game. I wonder why they never bothered releasing it when they did have the Tetris license for the Game Boy release on the VC for the 3DS?

Did they even bother putting Planet Puzzle League on DS Virtual Console on Wii U? I guess the repurposed DSiWare version is still available for purchase on 3DS eShop though.

It'd be funny if we all decided to buy it to show our support, with Nintendo wondering what the spike in sales is and its emergence at the bottom of the eShop charts.
Please try Sujin Taisen: Number Battle too

Someone else speculated earlier (though stated it as fact) that it's because Tetris Co. regrets allowing the name for that title because it's not like Tetris at all and won't allow it a 2nd time. Funny enough is Minoru Arakawa (and another old NoA person maybe? Or just the BPS guy?), who was head of NoA at the time Tetris Attack came out, is now a big cheese at Tetris Company, so it's kinda weird to think about it that way.

budpikmin

Y'know Panel De Pon is one of the few IP Nintendo have that makes absolute sense as a mobile game. The tall screen format and swiping to swap blocks would be a perfect fit

Raitaro

Tetris Attack (i.e. my no. 1 pick for Snes games to be included) totally got robbed with regards to the Snes Classic due to the Tetris name being involved I suspect. Japan is getting Panel de Pon afterall...

Edit:
Someone else speculated earlier (though stated it as fact) that it's because Tetris Co. regrets allowing the name for that title because it's not like Tetris at all and won't allow it a 2nd time. Funny enough is Minoru Arakawa (and another old NoA person maybe? Or just the BPS guy?), who was head of NoA at the time Tetris Attack came out, is now a big cheese at Tetris Company, so it's kinda weird to think about it that way.

This confirms my gut feeling pretty much. Weird that Arakawa's presence at the Tetris Company did not have the effect one would hope for in this case...like a new licensing deal, an exception to their usual naming conventions for Nintendo or anything else really. That said, If Nintendo can be bothered to give us Star Fox 2 all of a sudden, surely they could have altered the title screen of Tetris Attack into something like "Yoshi's Puzzle League" to solve that licensing problem if they really had wanted us to play it again. A shame they didn't do that.

They included a Puzzle League game in a free update for Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

BkgAVJ8.png

Good tip indeed!

That said, it should be a standalone game in the eshop as well imo, just like how they do that for most of Kirby's minigames nowadays. I'd buy that instantly.

Edit 2: also, for those that might have missed it, Super Plexis is a Tetris Attack style indie game that recently had a succesful Kickstarter (in part due to Gaf I suspect and hope) that is in the works for mobile but which might also come to Switch at some point according to the devs and despite not reaching that stretch goal. Maybe this game will help Nintendo consider a new game if it will do well.

ggx2ac

From Destructoid:

https://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-tetris-ceo-regrets-tetris-attack--134733.phtml

However, I would have never thought that Tetris Attack might be seen as a blight on the Tetris name. Well, it looks like this might be the situation, as during my interview with Alexey Pajitnov and Henk Rogers, I asked them about this game. Says Rogers:
When Nintendo came to us, and said “we would like to take this Japanese game called Panel de Pon, and rename it Tetris Attack, I’m saying, “it’s not Tetris”. But my partner’s saying “but it is money!” So, uhhhh, so, we, I, reluctantly agreed. In retrospect, we should never have done that. I don’t think that’s a good idea. It dilutes the brand, it’s like naming another cartoon character Mickey Mouse just cause you need the money. It’s just a bad idea. So I wouldn’t do that again.

Edit:

I doubt it because Panel de Pon is a different game from Tetris Attack.

That Tetris Attack game got released in Japan via the Satellaview without the Tetris license.

Your scenario would be like if it was impossible to have Wonder Boy and Adventure Island at the same time.

magnetic

I'm honestly baffled that this game didn't spawn a million clones the way the inferior Bejeweled system did. It's such a simple yet deep concept.

Tetris, Puyo, Panel de Pon, those are gods of drop puzzles.

Kouriozan

Everytime there is a Nintendo survey I beg them to bring back Panel de Pon, and localize it, I want Lip dammit!
Or make a Dr. Mario + Panel de Pon collection like on Gamecube and put online in it.
Another solution would be a Yoshi Vs. Lip Puzzle League with the cast of both.

ReyVGM

I'm honestly baffled that this game didn't spawn a million clones the way the inferior Bejeweled system did. It's such a simple yet deep concept.

Tetris, Puyo, Panel de Pon, those are gods of drop puzzles.

Simple, Tetris Attack requires actual skill to win. Bejeweled is mindless. You just do stuff to see what sticks.

ggx2ac

I found the rest of that interview from my earlier post.

Again, this was back in E3 2009.

https://www.destructoid.com/interview-with-alexey-pajitnov-and-henk-rogers-on-tetris-135296.phtml

Well, I want to ask you about two specific games. How do you feel about Lumines, which is a beautiful game, and how do you feel about Tetris Attack?

HR: OK, well, Tetris Attack, we’ll do the second one first, Tetris Attack. Nintendo came to me soon after we formed The Tetris Company, and we were just wrestling with what we were going to do. And so, at the time, we had the copyright, the gameplay, and the name “Tetris”, and our Russian partners, who knew nothing about nothing, and I’m not talking about Alexey, I’m talking about Electronica Technica, they wanted to make money, no matter what. That’s it, “however you could make money, make money”. When Nintendo came to us, and said “we would like to take this Japanese game called Panel de Pon, and rename it Tetris Attack, I’m saying, “it’s not Tetris”. But my partner’s saying “but it is money!” So, uhhhh, so, we, I, reluctantly agreed. In retrospect, we should never have done that. I don’t think that’s a good idea. It dilutes the brand, it’s like naming another cartoon character Mickey Mouse just cause you need the money. It’s just a bad idea. So I wouldn’t do that again.
AP: It wasn’t a bad game.
HR: It was a good game! But the game should have had its own life, its own name.
AP: Unfortunately, it was too much corporate play …
HR: It should have had its own name. It kind of got lost in history cause it got the name Tetris, but it’s not Tetris. It could have, it should have stood up on its own two feet. That’s how I feel about games in general.
Lumines, great game. I mean, it’s funny, cause the guy, his name is Mizuguchi, he’s a great friend, and Mizuguchi came to me a few years ago, before Lumines, and he said “I’ve got this great idea and I want to make Tetris on the PSP” and at the time, I was kind of stuck. I had promised the rights to Sony, we were in the middle of negotiations, and I couldn’t really give it to him. He goes “Ok, well, I’ll have to create my own game.” And that was it, man [laughs]. It’s like “dang! I should have let him have a shot at Tetris!” And now we’re in the same position again. The exact same position. We had breakfast with him this morning, and it’s like “uhh, I hate to say this, but we already have somebody licensed for this, for, PSP 2 or whatever it is.” [Sighs] It can’t be helped [both laugh].
AP: He’ll come up with another great game.
HR: Yeah, he’ll come up with another huge game.

So, it sounds less bad than the reference I found on Wikipedia linking the preview of the interview.

Jazzem

I found the rest of that interview from my earlier post.

Again, this was back in E3 2009.

https://www.destructoid.com/interview-with-alexey-pajitnov-and-henk-rogers-on-tetris-135296.phtml

So, it sounds less bad than the reference I found on Wikipedia linking the preview of the interview.

Thanks for posting these interview quotes, they're fascinating and I pretty much agree entirely; Puzzle League neither fits nor needs the Tetris name, especially if it's now preventing the SNES version from current re-releases. I suppose it likely boosted sales somewhat back on release though.

ggx2ac

Thanks for posting these interview quotes, they're fascinating and I pretty much agree entirely; Puzzle League neither fits nor needs the Tetris name, especially if it's now preventing the SNES version from current re-releases. I suppose it likely boosted sales somewhat back on release though.

All I can guess, is that the west would never get a Panel de Pon, especially when we were close to having Panel de Pon in that Puzzle Collection for the GameCube but it never released in the west.

The reason I think is that NoA doesn't see Panel de Pon as having broad appeal, that is why we only have Puzzle League games in the form of Pokémon, Animal Crossing and the DS game we got that had no mascots.

In the Japanese version of that Puzzle League game for DS, there is a secret stage where you get to play Lip's Stage from Panel de Pon but it is removed in the western version.

Panel de Pon has really had its identity screwed up that it's hard to see it ever having just the original game succeed outside Japan. Hence, we have to rely on it having other themed versions for the west like with Animal Crossing or Pokémon.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think the Panepon style would work nowadays--pretty much all the other versus puzzle games have a similar aesthetic and Nintendo no longer shies away from mega-Japanese-y games as evidenced by the likes of the recent Fire Emblem games--but it's not as if Japan ever got many of them, either.

I think the more pragmatic hurdle as it relates to SNES Classic Mini is that they simply don't care enough to edit the original Tetris Attack into "Yoshi's Puzzle League", let along translate Panel de Pon.

The VC releases of this franchise are always so tragic. Japan gets Panel de Pon no problem but does not get Pokemon Puzzle League...not even as a unloclaised import.

Still regarding Nintendo puzzle games I'd still like to see a Panel de Pon and Dr. Mairo crossover...have Wario's Woods a bridge between the two franchises...Wario seems to be good at finding other worlds (Bomberman, Wario Land games).

/Yoshi's Cookie and I'll do it
Best grab a copy of Nintendo Puzzle Collection (and enjoy the font glitches if not playing on Japanese hardware...ah system font eh) as it was one of the few (?only?) delisted VC games that can not be redownloaded, in other words it will never come out again. Tetris DS is probably going to be the last reference to that gam...oh wait Chef Mario is in SMO.

I think the Panepon style would work nowadays--pretty much all the other versus puzzle games have a similar aesthetic and Nintendo no longer shies away from mega-Japanese-y games as evidenced by the likes of the recent Fire Emblem games--but it's not as if Japan ever got many of them, either.

I think the more pragmatic hurdle as it relates to SNES Classic Mini is that they simply don't care enough to edit the original Tetris Attack into "Yoshi's Puzzle League", let along translate Panel de Pon.

Yeah, if they bring it back I'd like it to be its own thing like Panel de Pon was. I did enjoy the retrofitted IP versions but Panel de Pon feels more refreshing to play even today.

If it were released as a download-only title it would work, where expectations aren't to have a bunch of modes. But considering Puyo Puyo Tetris did quite well on Switch, even despite costing almost twice as much in some markets as the PS4 version, maybe there is a market for a more fully formed Panel de Pon with an adventure mode. We can dream...

I would love another one of these. Pokemon puzzle league is my jam. Would like to see it on switch but I think it would work well on mobile as well.

Metal B

Nintendo should release a Nintendo Puzzle Collection 2, which includes all of there puzzles games remade plus more:
Panel de Pon vs Dr. Mario vs Yoshi's Cookies vs Wario's Woods vs Mario & Yoshi vs Tetris 2 vs Kirby's Avalanche vs Kirby's Star Stackers

Lylo

Man, Pokemon Puzzle League was such an amazing game, the variety and amount of modes was insane. The 3D mode was great too, i would pay US$ 60 for the exact same game with online mode on the Switch.

Fireblend

Banned
I think an Animal Crossing Puzzle League would be great. They already have that minigame, on 3DS, surely they see it too.

Top Bottom