• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken Rosenthal

Sources: Molina three-year extension with #STLCards will be between $55M and $65M.

Anything to keep him out of some ugly Dbacks or Marlins jersey

They've got plenty of money anyway. I'd obviously prefer a 1-2 year deal, but that was never going to happen. Just glad it's not 4+ years

Kinda sucks for Kelly though, but he's no sure thing. Hope he can get a timeshare with Molina in a couple years (lol Molina gonna start 150 games at age 37)

edit: I don't buy the Kelly for Quintana rumors. With Reyes having TJ, Cardinals would have to empty the farm for Quintana and it sounds like they aren't interested in doing that.

Chris R

OH GOD, THE BEES. NOT THE BEES!! AHHHHH!!!

C8NOsOsV0AEkh7X.jpg

It was a pre-game interview on the Astros broadcast where they showed what they replaced the hill with. There's 4 levels of food, and you can even sit down on the field where it's like you're in the bullpen. I hope they guide the viewer again on Opening Day.

Hook an AL West family member up and post a YouTube if they do. Still don't know where I'll sit, Torchys is pretty fucking legit tho.

McBryBry

Happy to see Yadi resigned. Cards have the money, and hopefully he's willing to split time with Kelly as we go. I hope we don't uproot the farm for Quintana.

it's not like that's going to cripple them or anything, but it's very un-cardinal like to pay for past performance. they'd have been better off giving kelly a shot and saving that money for a potentially historic free agent class. then again, it's yadi. their fans would probably flip if he left.

I don't think you quite understand how Cardinal's fan get really attached to someone like Yadi. It is not like anything in any other MLB fandoms.

When the cards' fans adopt you, you will know. Not by how many jersey sales or social media post. When the cards' fans adopts you, you will know it by how many of them will cheer very loudly for you or make absurd signs for you. But it's far more then just that....it's so much more then just that. I can't quite explain it any better.

They had to sign Yadi or else feel the fury of a fandom scorned. Trust me Cardinals management would rather deal with a federal investigation then feel the nuclear heat cards fans would express for them.

Yadi X Adam Wainwright OTP 4lyfe

clav

White Sox are in rebuild mode, so they should ask for more than just one player.

Carson Kelly is supposed to be a top catching prospect.

Word is Cards are willing to deal a combo.

I don't think you quite understand how Cardinal's fan get really attached to someone like Yadi. It is not like anything in any other MLB fandoms.

When the cards' fans adopt you, you will know. Not by how many jersey sales or social media post. When the cards' fans adopts you, you will know it by how many of them will cheer very loudly for you or make absurd signs for you. But it's far more then just that....it's so much more then just that. I can't quite explain it any better.

They had to sign Yadi or else feel the fury of a fandom scorned. Trust me Cardinals management would rather deal with a federal investigation then feel the nuclear heat cards fans would express for them.

Did fans forget how Albert Pujols performed after he was traded to the Angels?

kelly was the mediocre catcher that suddenly they are trying to treat as a huge prospect but is still not anything special right?

He's the best catching prospect in baseball right now

It was the White Sox that first had interest in him, from what I remember. He was a big part of the ask when they were dealing Eaton and the Cardinals were interested

(Any deal would obviously include way more than just Kelly, though, and likely wouldn't happen until mid-season since I think the Cardinals are happy with their starting 5)

Did fans forget how Albert Pujols performed after he was traded to the Angels?

People were pretty pissed at the time! But a Yadi extension is 3 years for a game-changing, franchise-defining catcher, not 10 for a bad-bodied 1B who likely needed significant time at DH.

zulux21

White Sox are in rebuild mode, so they should ask for more than just one player.

Carson Kelly is supposed to be a top catching prospect.

Word is Cards are willing to deal a combo.

they would never trade quintana for just one player, they are looking for a package that is on par with the sale package.

Quintana is a pitcher that is around as good as chris sale and has a year more of control.

It was the White Sox that first had interest in him, from what I remember. He was a big part of the ask when they were dealing Eaton and the Cardinals were interested

(Any deal would obviously include way more than just Kelly, though, and likely wouldn't happen until mid-season since I think the Cardinals are happy with their starting 5)

then catching prospects must just be horrible because nothing about kelly's numbers say anything but him being a barely above replacement level catcher at the majors. Maybe in actual scouting he looks like he has a lot of upside but he sure hasn't shown it at any level. I mean he had a decent 2016, but it wasn't anything all that impressive.

I mean I can at least see the white sox wanting him as a back up to Zack Collins as the white sox haven't had a good catcher in a while.... but I really don't feel like kelly is ever going to be anything that impressive a new Matt Wieters at best most likely.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

People were pretty pissed at the time! But a Yadi extension is 3 years for a game-changing, franchise-defining catcher, not 10 for a bad-bodied 1B who likely needed significant time at DH.
Braves will take him. What do you want?

clav

they would never trade quintana for just one player, they are looking for a package that is on par with the sale package.

Quintana is a pitcher that is around as good as chris sale and has a year more of control.

Of course, but whoever posted original news made it sound like it was a 1 for 1 deal.

Quintana is decent, but I wouldn't say he is as good as Chris Sale. Fits well in a role of second SP.

zulux21

Of course, but whoever posted original news made it sound like it was a 1 for 1 deal.

Quintana is decent, but I wouldn't say he is as good as Chris Sale. Fits well in a role of second SP.

depending on what metrics you use he actually has been better than sale for a while.

baseball reference has quintana as worth more than sale the last two years.

Sale War
2015- 3.3
2016 - 4.9

Quintana War
2015- 4
2016 - 5.2

I mean Sale is better in some ways, but quintana is at least close to sale, and with an extra year of control worth around the same that sale got which is why the white sox are aiming for a similar package and not just selling for the sake of selling.

Hahahahaha

No but really

Cardinals will keep him and have him sit on the bench and watch Yadi start 140 games in 2019 and 2020

depending on what metrics you use he actually has been better than sale for a while.

Sale War
2015- 3.3
2016 - 4.9

Quintana War
2015- 4
2016 - 5.2

I mean Sale is better in some ways, but quintana is at least close to sale, and with an extra year of control worth around the same that sale got which is why the white sox are aiming for a similar package and not just selling for the sake of selling.

It's a "name brand" thing. Sale also K's more people (though gap last year was smaller than in the past) so that's more attractive for some people

They're pretty close and I'd maybe rather have Quintana because at least he doesn't cut up uniforms

clav

I think FIP is a better metric for benchmarking pitchers.

Sale's has been consistently lower, which makes Sale the better pitcher by quite a margin.

zulux21

Cardinals will keep him and have him sit on the bench and watch Yadi start 140 games in 2019 and 2020

It's a "name brand" thing. Sale also K's more people (though gap last year was smaller than in the past) so that's more attractive for some people

yeah I know it was a name brand thing. it didn't help quintana at all that sale was on his team.

on most other teams quintana the way he has pitched the last few years likely would have been the Ace.

I think the white sox are banking on that.
with sale gone quintana can be the ace of the white sox, and as long as quintana continues to be the same pitcher he has been for years he will finally get his chance to shine.

heck the main reason more people don't know about quintana is because he for some reason never gets run support.

I mean either way 4 years of control of a cheap good pitcher is worth a ton. so is 3.5 if they wait until the trade deadline.

A-V-B

Anything to keep him out of some ugly Dbacks

If only the Dbacks would just stick with their damn 2001 championship jerseys they wouldn't have this constant revolving door of weird uniforms.

Seriously, I like that look. It's iconic for them. Make slight adjustments if they must, but why mess with a good thing?

i don't see see the white sox even having a discussion with the cards unless it starts with reyes. they aren't dealing quintana for quantity. BA has kelly 65th and luke weaver 50th. quintana arguably has more trade value than sale right now because of the extra year of control at a cheaper price. there has to be one elite quality piece, and reyes is the only one the cardinals have,

oh, i am more than familiar than the bfib and their bfibness. it's not really different than it is with other teams like you say, their fans just think it is.

one of the main reason the cards continue to be successful is that they're shrewd and unwilling to pay for past performance. like what they did with albert. i don't see cardinals fans crying about that. did you guys not adopt him?

zulux21

i don't see see the white sox even having a discussion with the cards unless it starts with reyes. they aren't dealing quintana for quantity. BA has kelly 65th and luke weaver 50th. quintana arguably has more trade value than sale right now because of the extra year of control at a cheaper price. there has to be one elite quality piece, and reyes is the only one the cardinals have,

I think Alex Reyes might have lost his elite quality piece status the moment it was announced he would be getting a TJ surgery this year.

that isn't to say that he doesn't still have quite a bit of value, but I have to doubt a team would be willing consider him an elite prospect right now as while it is likely he will come back from TJ there is no guarantee he will ever be the same. even with the TJ though I could easily see him being included in such a trade if it were to happen.

I really doubt quintana will be moved before late june though. though it will be fun to see all the dream trades made up until then :p

granted a number of them are laughably bad.

I think Alex Reyes might have lost his elite quality piece status the moment it was announced he would be getting a TJ surgery this year.

that isn't to say that he doesn't still have quite a bit of value, but I have to doubt a team would be willing consider him an elite prospect right now as while it is likely he will come back from TJ there is no guarantee he will ever be the same. even with the TJ though I could easily see him being included in such a trade if it were to happen.

I really doubt quintana will be moved before late june though. though it will be fun to see all the dream trades made up until then :p

granted a number of them are laughably bad.

i'm an idiot, i completely spaced on the tjs

Delvin Perez (young, potential star), Weaver (MLB ready starter), Kelly (MLB ready catcher), and one of Sandy Alcantara/Jack Flaherty (Alcantara being a rising prospect who is likely to be similar to Reyes soon/Flaherty being high floor) would get it done, probably

Cardinals would never do that and would be stupid to do so. They're fine with Cmart/Old Man Waino/Lynn/Leake/Wacha. Maybe if (when) injuries happen

They can be one of the most poisonous fanbases in all of American sports as well tbf. The Dexter Fowler thing recently comes to mind. The @BestFansStLouis account is always funny as well.

then catching prospects must just be horrible because nothing about kelly's numbers say anything but him being a barely above replacement level catcher at the majors. Maybe in actual scouting he looks like he has a lot of upside but he sure hasn't shown it at any level. I mean he had a decent 2016, but it wasn't anything all that impressive.

I mean I can at least see the white sox wanting him as a back up to Zack Collins as the white sox haven't had a good catcher in a while.... but I really don't feel like kelly is ever going to be anything that impressive a new Matt Wieters at best most likely.
There are major doubts about Collins being able to stick at Catcher.

He hit for slightly better than league average at AA and AAA at age 21/22 with solid contact rates (good predictor of MLB success)

He wasn't actually drafted as a catcher and was only converted a couple years ago. Defense is definitely there right now and the bat needs time to catch up (He was also drafted for his bat, fwiw) catcher bats usually take time to come out, too (see: Molina, Yadier)

Closest prospect would be like Jorge Alfaro, who has concerns about his defense and Ks about a ton. So part of it is probably weaker competition in terms of catching prospects, most of it is that he's been extremely impressive for a guy who was converted to the position only a couple years ago

No surprise really but nice to see Amed Rosario and Dominic Smith starting the season at Triple A Las Vegas for the Mets.

Nice to have some legitimate position player depth and hopefully long-term options eventually in Michael Conforto (would rather have him playing everyday in the Bigs) and the aforementioned Rosario and Smith.

kris.

Banned
Got my tickets to the 2nd game of the year for my Royals. Excited to see Jason Hammel (hopefully) pitch at home for the first time, too.

If the hill wasn't there, both of those hits are Home Runs.

The removal took CF from 436' to 409' Expect more dingers at MMP. :p

Astros bats be poppin'.

Every year I say I'm going to be more active in this thread. I never am. Expect me to randomly pop in here and root for my 'stros.

Going to 8/9 Astros games at Seattle this year. Got a 10 game package, but it didn't include opening day

Couleurs

The Yadi deal is fine. The Cards have plenty of money to spend.

Yep, I'll be happy if this deal is real.

Yadi retires a Cardinal and Carson Kelly gets to spend a year or two learning under one of the best defensive catchers ever and hopefully develops similar skills and some of Yadi's mentality by the time Yadi is done.

It's an overpay of course, but the Cards have money so it's not going to cripple the franchise by paying a few mil AAV more than Yadi would probably get on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom