• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: "the flood gates are open for PS4 system reserves"

quest

Not Banned from OT
Feel bad for the people who are gonna get screwed and not get a console a launch because of late preorder. I am skeptical Gamestop stores will even get the initial allotment of consoles they are promising.

Or Sony hits its production targets and we all win and scalpers take a bath. That sounds pretty damn good to me. Supply chains and manufacturing have come a long way since the last console launch. We saw the huge supply of the Wii:U already. If MS did not have issues with the SOC they would be cranking them out also. Everything we have heard Sony is on track.

Sony wants to strike while the iron is hot. Their best chance to steal over 360 gamers that want a taste of next gen is when you can't get an XB1.

KageMaru

What makes me nervous about pre-ordering at GS, or any store, is being stuck waiting for the second, third, or later shipment. I much rather camp out and wait for the system somewhere instead of taking the chance of not picking it up on day one.

Takuya

Banned
I believe Sony has estimated that with the current pre-order numbers (from retail sources and data) that they can easily meet that demand, so they're allowing retailers to take in pre-orders without a limit, to see how many people want it at launch, and to see if they can meet that demand.

androvsky

I was joking about how Gamestop was going to suddenly find more allocations for the Xbox One after MS backtracked on the DRM... but it looks like they did? Any idea how old that is?

The_Monk

I really hope I can Pre-order my PS4 very soon. I'm saving some vouchers for it (I want to buy it locally).

Come on Sony, give us a release date!

Soi-Fong

Sony wants to strike while the iron is hot. Their best chance to steal over 360 gamers that want a taste of next gen is when you can't get an XB1.

Pretty much this. When they walk into the store and still see PS4's available and cheaper while XBONES are out, it just might entice them from the XBONE.

Karak

BTW, It's only unlimited quantities through the weekend. I bet they have kind of slowed down post E3.

Ya I am assuming that as well. Sounds like it is this weekend though. Interesting and looks like Xbox One units are also being refreshed. Lots of systems going to sell but overselling is a very real probability.

This is purely for Sony to use for marketing purposes at this point, whereas MS seems to be asking them to set preorders based on supply.

Going to be a lot of PS4 preorders waiting until May to get their console. Just like last gen.

Tratorn

People should stop to post this "16m PS4 this year" rumor...
It's impossible and Sony would never expect that.

Not even until the end of this fiscal year (31.03.14)...

Soi-Fong

Why are people doubting? If you guys should be worried, it should be on the XBONE considering the yield problems.

Everything we've heard suggests that Sony was ready for this and they've had no trouble with yields at all. Add to that, they're ordering x86 architecture parts.

There's nothing exotic like the Cell from the PS3.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
This is purely for Sony to use for marketing purposes at this point, whereas MS seems to be asking them to set preorders based on supply.

Going to be a lot of PS4 preorders waiting until May to get their console. Just like last gen.

thanks for the info future boy.

Vastly different supply chain/components between PS3 and PS4.

golem

At the 360 launch I was #4 at the local Gamestop. Reserved the first day it was available.

Launch day they received 6 total LOL

USC-fan

Banned
If they could get out in Oct like some rumors. Wonder if COD would launch early on PS4. That would be huge.

They have to be out before MS. If its a couple weeks people will jump even more to the ps4.

Soi-Fong

If they could get out in Oct like some rumors. Wonder if COD would launch early on PS4. That would be huge.

They have to be out before MS. If its a couple weeks people will jump even more to the ps4.

A launch in October would be huge. A month head start can give the PS4 a real boost.

Stuart444

Well we know the PS4 will almost defo pass the Xbox One in launch day numbers then. (just launch day, we'll see how holiday/end of fiscal year sales are).

Higher allotments (even before this), more SKUs compared to the Xbox Ones small allotments and only one SKU.

This will be an interesting holiday season I think, exciting!

thanks for the info future boy.

How can Sony supply an "unlimited amount" of PS4s? What does that even mean?

If they showed that MS was allocating ~ Z number of consoles per store and Sony was allocating Z x 2 or something then that would totally different. To me this means nothing because "unlimited" is not a number of consoles that anyone can ship.

How can Sony supply an "unlimited amount" of PS4s? What does that even mean?

If they showed that MS was allocating ~ Z number of consoles and Sony was allocating Z x 2 or something then that would totally different. To me this means nothing because "unlimited" is not a number of consoles that anyone can ship.

It means that they are looking to satisfy all the potential demand for the console.

calder

Sounds legit.

It's hilariously suspect alright, back in February when it came out if you followed the Digitimes report all the way the source was... one random post on a Chinese forum from a guy saying he got the info from a company supplying parts to Sony.

And worth saying again and again, according to Digitimes the PS4 launched months ago ;p

Pillville

Updated Seinfeld scene about to be lived out this fall:

Jerry: I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?

GameStop: We have your reservation, we just ran out of PS4s.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the PS4 here. That's why you have the reservation.

GameStop: I think I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do...... You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Top Bottom