• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Q2 results

Yoboman

Graphics Horse said:
... it's becoming truer day by day!

5t086.jpg
:lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Interesting picture from Europe. What caused the PS3 bump in w39? Wii seems to be falling off too, Nintendo is probably really hoping Christmas will reinvigorate it.

Rolf NB

user_nat said:
So they managed to ship more PS3s than Microsoft shipped 360s.

Pretty impressive. Wonder how much of the difference is Japan though.

Read more Media Create threads.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409399
=>
MC Sep-27 2010 said:
Code:
|System |  This Week  |  Last Week  |        YTD  |         LTD  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  PS3  |     20.363  |     20.694  |  1.079.247  |   5.580.614  |
|  360  |      2.769  |      2.599  |    164.736  |   1.374.408  |
------------------------------------------------------------------

gofreak said:
Interesting picture from Europe. What caused the PS3 bump in w39?
Looks like week 38, and that would be the week Move was released. Really interesting, because it didn't seem to have any effect on the hardware in the US / Japan.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Psychotext said:
Looks like week 38, and that would be the week Move was released. Really interesting, because it didn't seem to have any effect on the hardware in the US / Japan.

Ah. Indeed, sort of surprising.

gtj1092

Spiegel said:

So when MS said they were the best selling console in Europe they meant for 2 or 3 weeks. I guess the sales in europe aren't so close afterall. Anyone up for some pixel counting:D

gtj1092 said:
So when MS said they were the best selling console in Europe they meant for one week.
Looks like about four weeks to me. Weeks 27 to 30.

Edit - Bah, you edited.

Also, what happened in week 37? Why the small 360 spike? (I've just noticed there's a proper thread for this now, will pose the question there).

bobbytkc said:
once again showing that NA is not equal to the world.
Yes, you're right.The Xbox 360 was never popular in continental Europe.

Europe: Hardware Sales

20l.jpg

Germany:TOP 20 (January-September 2010)

45l.jpg

Spain: TOP 20 (January September 2010)

47l.jpg

France: TOP 20 (January-September 2010)

46l.jpg

Of course,UK is different to the rest of Europe

UK: TOP 20 (January September 2010)

48l.jpg

dolemite

gofreak said:
Interesting picture from Europe. What caused the PS3 bump in w39? Wii seems to be falling off too, Nintendo is probably really hoping Christmas will reinvigorate it.
Looking at 2009 results for the Wii, it looks like Nintendo is already late for the pre-Christmas reinvigoration, the next quarter results will be damn low compared to 2009.

szaromir

Banned
gtj1092 said:
So when MS said they were the best selling console in Europe they meant for 2 or 3 weeks. I guess the sales in europe aren't so close afterall. Anyone up for some pixel counting:D
They look pretty close to me.
21l.jpg

iceatcs

Psychotext said:
Just like PS Eyetoy which it was very very popular in EU than rest others.

JudgeN

I'm not very good @ reading these but does this mean Sony posted profit of $800 million for the quarter? What they make last quarter?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Graphics Horse said:
... it's becoming truer day by day!

5t086.jpg

I put in the actual numbers, the "plus" represents "calendar year in progress"

actualsales.png

(So in other words they were too bearish on 360, too bullish on PS3, and wrong but not with any particular pattern on the Wii)

JudgeN said:
I'm not very good @ reading these but does this mean Sony posted profit of $800 million for the quarter? What they make last quarter?
Sony as a whole made $375m (Net Income), Networked Products and Devices made (Operating Income) $84m (-$43m last quarter)

jorma

is now taking requests
Stumpokapow said:

actualsales.png

(So in other words they were too bearish on 360, too bullish on PS3, and wrong but not with any particular pattern on the Wii)

Their wii projection was pretty impressive imo, even though it looks like they predicted that the decline would come a bit later.

Mandoric

Banned
szaromir said:
It'll be interesting to see which if any at all of the current-gen consoles has that staying power.

I'd guess none. It relies on a generation having a landslide winner, hence only seeing it with the FC and the PS2, followed by the succeeding gen taking off years apart in different markets--the Genesis has had a few sparks, but that's more related to Sega being exceptionally willing to license off production.

This gen will, on the other hand, probably have PS1-scale trickle all around. The Wii justifies it, as does HD twin multiplat.

Pride said:
Wanna bet?

EDIT: Actually, it just occurred to me, if it was coming out in the next quarter why didnt they announce it as part of the future guidance with their earnings?

I shook the Magic 8 ball 4 times and here is what it said:

● Don't count on it
● My sources say no
● Outlook not so good
● Very doubtful

If the one reason is anything to go by, Sony is probably scrambling to find a facility to press the disc in the November time frame. Pressing the discs is lined up months in advance and they push back GT5 for even a week and they have to find a new time slot.

Road

dolemite said:
Weekly sales in "Europe"
20.jpg

Looks like either Move or Fifa sales helped the PS3 sales quite a bit. Also, the 360 is above the Wii, lol.
I saw that one, but counting the pixels for 120+ points takes more than time than doing it for just 4. =P

I'll only do that on the weekend, but if anyone can do it sooner, great.

jcm

It's interesting (possibly only to me) that Sony is slightly more bearish than Nintendo regarding the exchange rate. Nintendo is forecast ¥85 per dollar, and Sony has it at ¥83 per dollar. If Sony's right, it could make Nintendo miss their FY earnings forecast. If Nintendo's right, Sony could exceed their number.

It's really a shame MS never figured out Japan. They'd be killing it with the weak dollar.

Stumpokapow said:

actualsales.png

kC4uA.png

I'm calling it.

And if anyone cares, AFAIK the only console in Finland that is able to push a lot of consoles is PS3, Xbox360 is doing decent and Wii is selling like shit

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some game business only data:

Sales: 171bn yen (-5% YoY, due to decreases in PSP hardware and PS2 software)

Operating income: Up 54bn yen YoY to 13bn yen for the quarter

Game business has been profitable for 4 straight quarters, targeting profitability for the FY overall.

offshore

Good PS3 HW and SW numbers, especially considering the slim came out in Q2 last year. Looks like the PSP2 and PSPhone will be coming to market at the just right time as well...if not a touch late.

Horrible PSP numbers.

Road

gofreak said:

Game business has been profitable for 4 straight quarters, targeting profitability for the FY overall.
So, in dollars with today's currency:

Sales:
Nintendo - $2.15 billion
Sony - $2.11 billion
Microsoft - $1.65 billion

Operating income:
Microsoft - $382 million***
Nintendo - $380 million
Sony - $161 million

***Operating income of the EED (360+Zune+Mobile+others) as a whole.

I guess nobody is going 3rd party just yet. =\

Rolf NB said:

That's for the whole year, right?

I did some math myself and unless I made a mistake, between July 1st and September 30th PS3 managed to sell roughly 343k units in Japan, while Xbox 360 sold only 66.07k. Meanwhile, NPDs put PS3 at 752.5k and Xbox 360 at 1284.19k. So for Japan and US we have PS3 at 1095.5k and Xbox 360 at 1350.26k.

Now, according to this:

europe.jpg

they did roughly the same in Europe over the period, with Xbox 360 probably being slightly ahead as the Slim spike seems to have contributed more than the Move spike. So unless PS3 did amazing numbers in the rest of the world, comparatively, Sony seems to have overshipped by quite a bit more than Microsoft did.

EagleEyes

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

I did some math myself and unless I made a mistake, between July 1st and September 30th PS3 managed to sell roughly 343k units in Japan, while Xbox 360 sold only 66.07k. Meanwhile, NPDs put PS3 at 752.5k and Xbox 360 at 1284.19k. So for Japan and US we have PS3 at 1095.5k and Xbox 360 at 1350.26k.

Now, according to this:

europe.jpg

they did roughly the same in Europe over the period, with Xbox 360 probably being slightly ahead as the Slim spike seems to have contributed more than the Move spike. So unless PS3 did amazing numbers in the rest of the world, comparatively, Sony seems to have overshipped by quite a bit more than Microsoft did.
It's quite evident that Sony didn't sell anywhere near 3.5 million for the quarter. They definitely overshipped but all companies do it. They have to make it look they they are going to reach that 15 million yearly projection.

jcm

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Now, according to this:

[imgx]http://d.imagehost.org/0946/europe.jpg[/img]

You're mixing sales and shipments, and using incomplete sales data to boot.
EagleEyes said:
It's quite evident that Sony didn't sell anywhere near 3.5 million for the quarter. They definitely overshipped but all companies do it. They have to make it look they they are going to reach that 15 million yearly projection.
Oh, come on.

Impressive numbers, of course some will say that Sony is stuffing the channel without realizing that if that was true then the next quarter number would look significantly worse.

I'm more impressed with the PS2 though, that system is still kicking and, with Sony going and supporting developing markets, I think that will sell for some years to come....PSP at 67 million is 15 million away from GBA, I wonder if it can surpass it? If they sell the remainder 5 million for their FY projection and drop the price to U$119(3000)/U$149(bundle)/U$169(Go), then they can do it. Will be interesting to see and would be awesome if they can achieve it.

Sony as a whole has finally started to turn it around, Stringer is really doing it, next should be to get the profit margins up, which Stringer has said before is something he wants to do it, Sony moves enough volume and content that it should be able to at least do what Samsung does in a quarter/year.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Now, according to this:

europe.jpg

Do you think they overshipped the PS2 as well?

EagleEyes said:

Same shit people said when they released their Q1 shipments also.

The fact is simply this, they are selling these units because retailers are buying even more of them.

jcm said:
You're mixing sales and shipments, and using incomplete sales data to boot.

No, I was using only the sales numbers. I compared them to the shipping data only at the very end, which was the whole point of my post.

It might be incomplete, but it's the actual NPD and MediaCreate data plus Nintendo's internal numbers for Europe, so it's the best we have and probably quite representative of the actual situation.

DMeisterJ

Banned
gofreak said:

Good news.

NHale

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
No, I was using only the sales numbers. I compared them to the shipping data only at the very end, which was the whole point of my post.

It might be incomplete, but it's the actual NPD and MediaCreate data plus Nintendo's internal numbers for Europe, so it's the best we have and probably quite representative of the actual situation.

Of course not. Everyone knows the World is only the US, Japan and Europe.

NHale said:
Of course not. Everyone knows the World is only the US, Japan and Europe.

No, those are just by far the three biggest markets. Besides...

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
So unless PS3 did amazing numbers in the rest of the world, comparatively, Sony seems to have overshipped by quite a bit more than Microsoft did.

Mrbob

Since the first numbers we normally see out of Europe is the UK, I think a lot of us assume the 360 is keeping up with the PS3 in Europe. In the UK the race looks tight, but look at the software numbers in Spain and Germany. There is what, one 360 game total on both lists? These are full of PS3 and Wii and DS games. The UK is split, but outside of this region it looks like the "battle" is fairly one sided. I'd love to see software sales in all the European regions. We always hear the race between the 360 and PS3 isn't too close outside the UK, but we finally have a couple examples listed above. You want to turn a blind eye to hard data sitting in front of you by all means feel free to do so.

Mrbob said:
Since the first numbers we normally see out of Europe is the UK, I think a lot of us assume the 360 is keeping up with the PS3 in Europe. In the UK the race looks tight, but look at the software numbers in Spain and Germany. There is what, one 360 game total on both lists? These are full of PS3 and Wii and DS games. The UK is split, but outside of this region it looks like the "battle" is fairly one sided. I'd love to see software sales in all the European regions. We always hear the race between the 360 and PS3 isn't too close outside the UK, but we finally have a couple examples listed above. You want to turn a blind eye to hard data sitting in front of you by all means feel free to do so.

Regarding software - France + Germany + Spain = 1 Xbox 360 game in Top 20 (out of total 60 places). When you add UK to the mix, things get significantly better.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Lagspike_exe said:
Regarding software - France + Germany + Spain = 1 Xbox 360 game in Top 20 (out of total 60 places). When you add UK to the mix, things get significantly better.
It's not France + Germany + Spain. UK is the only significant EU market where 360 software is in good shape.

Sony seem to be doing better , now they have try to get PS3 price down some more. Still the Yen is hurting both Sony and Nintendo.
This Xmas would have been great with a GT5 +250 PS3 combo world wide.

Mrbob said:

That can't be denied, Microsoft really needs to try a lot harder in continental Europe. Hell, that's where I live and Microsoft is the only out of the big three not officially present on the Croatian market.

However, UK is the biggest market in Europe (for a while UK alone was even bigger than Japan) so it can - and does, when you look at the overall European numbers - practically make up for all the losses on the continent.

Chris1964 said:
It's not France + Germany + Spain. UK is the only significant EU market where 360 software is in good shape.

I know that. I used France, Germany and Spain as a reference because there is known data for those countries.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
That can't be denied, Microsoft really needs to try a lot harder in continental Europe. Hell, that's where I live and Microsoft is the only out of the big three not officially present on the Croatian market.

However, UK is the biggest market in Europe (for a while UK alone was even bigger than Japan) so it can - and does, when you look at the overall European numbers - practically make up for all the losses on the continent.

No it doesn't.

Rad-

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

It'll be interesting to see how much of that 500 million Kinect marketing money will go to continental Europe. Because if history is to go by, it will be zero. :lol MS doesn't really bother marketing their titles here. I don't really understand why they don't try.

Top Bottom