• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen coming to PS4/XB1 (fall 2017)

Bluth54

I get it. I'm not asking for a Switch port in the Red Dead 2 thread. But this is DD. An old game I love and have played through already. This announcement for PS4 and XBO makes me happy but I wouldn't buy those versions. I have a capable PC. That PC version will be better than whatever the consoles get. But still: If I was to replay DD it would be on a mobile system. That's all.

I say this as someone who's owned a Switch from day 1: The port begging in every tread has become really annoying and I hope the mods put a firm foot down on it soon.

Please let this be because DD2 is coming!

It's probably happening because the PC version sold well and would take minimal effort to port.

Sesha

This makes me wonder what the final sales of DD might end up being. It was two million on last gen alone, right? What'd PC boost it to? And what will this get them? Even though fall is like the worst possible time to launch this.

Edit: You got that edit in quick. Anyway, Capcom initially wanted the thing to sell like...10 million lol. That was unrealistic, same as it was for the last RE to sell six mil and they were still disappointed.

3.2m total according to Capcom's franchise totals numbers. Their Platinum titles lists 1.3 for vanilla PS360 DD, and 1.7m for PS360 Dark Arisen, while SteamSpy has Dark Arisen PC at 700k. So somewhere between 3.2-3.7m.

7m for RE6, actually. But that was the official sales projection by the end of the fiscal year. The 10m for Dragon's Dogma sounded more like what they wanted it the life time sales to be, like their hopes of 10m life time sales for RE7 and 4-5m life time for DmC and/or sequels.

IbukiLordSA

Finally, I didn't get to playing much of the Dark Arisen content on PS3, so really looking forward to starting from scratch on PS4.

Jawmuncher

Told y'all it would come. It was totally an RE4 ultimate Had deal. Didn't think they'd hold it off because of an anniversary though.

Artdayne

I've already double dipped on this game, own it on PC but I hope this means that a sequel will be more likely. Everyone talks about the combat in Dragon's Dogma but the character creator is the best I've ever seen in an RPG.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is this a Souls-like game?

You know that's a very good question ..

it's a bit like a Souls game but you can party up with AI Pawns, you can level up, find quests and have a couple of towns in the game's world to go to and it's an open world game with a realistic day-night cycle with one of the most terrifying night-time experiences in games for how freaking dark it gets.

It's tough-but-rewarding in terms of game play like a Souls game but otherwise it's like an old school RPG.

Here's some game play videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWDfltu6_w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5vQI-vsXQ

Ascheroth

I've already double dipped on this game, own it on PC but I hope this means that a sequel will be more likely. Everyone talks about the combat in Dragon's Dogma but the character creator is the best I've ever seen in an RPG.
The best thing is that you can create 2 characters with it.

Exentryk

Holy shit i didn't expect that...maybe Dragon's Dogma 2 is also on its way??? :O

If so, they really need to work hard on the story stuff. The gameplay elements are gold, so just work on story, quests, dialogue, etc. Man, that would be amazing!

NightOnyx

Very cool, I'll definitely pick this up again. I still want a sequel, or for Deep Down to finally resurface, but this will do for now.

Ascheroth

Is this a Souls-like game?
No. They are similar in that both have great combat, (which also has a very different feel, it's faster and more action-y), otherwise very different. The Dark Arisen expansion does have some of the oppressive atmosphere of Souls though.

And if anyone says it, it's also not at all similar to Monster Hunter too.

sublimit

Banned
If so, they really need to work hard on the story stuff. The gameplay elements are gold, so just work on story, quests, dialogue, etc. Man, that would be amazing!

Absolutely!Also a lot more weather and environment variety (along with more towns/villages) would have been great too.Enemy variety as well. One of the things i really want them to keep from the first game though (besides the incredible combat) is the Pawn system.I know some people didn't liked it but personally i thought it was an incredible idea.Just improve the AI a bit more and it would be perfect!

butman

OMG! an appetizer before DD2?

Never played Dark Arisen content.
How many hours do it add to the original content?

Exentryk

Absolutely!Also a lot more weather and environment variety (along with more towns/villages) would have been great too.Enemy variety as well. One of the things i really want them to keep from the first game though (besides the incredible combat) is the Pawn system.I know some people didn't liked it but personally i thought it was an incredible idea.Just improve the AI a bit more and it would be perfect!

Agreed about Pawn system. I love optimising pawns so they can essentially fight themselves.

Man, if this was announced a year or two ago this would be a MEGATON for me, but now? I kinda don't care anymore to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the game is incredible, but it coming out on the PS4 isn't enough for me to triple dip anymore.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
HOOOOOOLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY FFFFUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

HOOOOOOLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY FFFFUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG FUCKING YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom