• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
man this looks awesome, how/where can I get this? D: is there still a preorder option or something?

Considering they are now signed by a publisher, there probably is no backing option for it yet. But I am sure you'll be able to buy it soon enough.

And although I am interested in this as well, I really more intrigued by that other space/planet exploration thing. Can anyone help me with the name? It was 3D too and you are supposedly exploring an empty planet.. I think it was Mars? or something? (Not Waking Mars)

Hofmann

man this looks awesome, how/where can I get this? D: is there still a preorder option or something?

Hopefully you'll be able to play it by the end of the summer.

From RPS:

And although I am interested in this as well, I really more intrigued by that other space/planet exploration thing. Can anyone help me with the name? It was 3D too and you are supposedly exploring an empty planet.. I think it was Mars? or something? (Not Waking Mars)

Lacuna Passage?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
awesome, thanks:)

aw I thought it might have been europa concept maybe, although I kinda doubted it since it's not that well-known

That looks cool too, already seems to be out though. I didnt mention it, but I was referring to games that are to be released in the future to look forward to :)

Hofmann

Ah awesome, thanks. That was it.

Lacuna Passage is more of a survival exploration kind of game, where Lifeless Planet is a classic action-adventure in a same vein as ICO, both interesting in its own way. What's more, there's enigmatic Red Rover by the Skipping Stones guys - they describe it as a Dear Esther meets 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Hofmann

zh3U1Ix.png

Really looking forward to it, so I dug up a little and found this press release which contains more info.

Red Rover is a first-person exploration game combining influences from Myst, Proteus, and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Balancing plausible science-fiction with surreal setpieces, Red Rover is part travelogue and part speculation: as players engage in an active exploration of real and accurate physical space, they also reveal an abstract and interconnected narrative spanning both time and the non-Euclidean space between the worlds themselves.

Features

• Walk on the surface of Mars, as recreated from the most accurate NASA data available.
  • Experience dreamlike exploration set against a backdrop of plausible science-fiction speculation.
  • Uncover a storyline spanning from centuries past to the distant future.
  • Walk on the surface of Mars! Come on, that's exciting.

Toma

All I needed to read. Shutupandtakemymoney

How about:

cbf6c159dc3062e8714da23edee82f8b_large.png

Lacuna Passage is a story-driven exploration and survival game set on Mars, drawing inspiration from titles like Dear Esther, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and even Pokemon Snap. You play as Jessica Rainer, the only survivor of the crashed Heracles mission, investigating the disappearance of the first ever manned mission to Mars. You have several tools at your disposal, but most important are your skills of observation. You will need to uncover mission logs, recorded audio files, and other physical clues left behind at critical mission locations in order to uncover the story. An interplanetary trail of breadcrumbs is waiting for you.

?

I'd back this so hard, fuck you Kickstarter :(

Toma

Also: Next thing on my to-do list is Expeditions. Hope I get to it tomorrow.

Hofmann

Same thing. Can't use my non-US PayPal account for that if I am not mistaken.

I might be wrong, but this is similar payment method to PayPal, and you don't need PP to use it, just a debit card. I'm using it for Kickstarter and it works, at least from Poland - should be the same for Germany.

Hofmann

Among other faraway worlds posted recently, Robert Yang has released a trailer for stargazing love story called Polaris. Yes, that's right, Radiator remake coming in August!

Polaris trailer

"Polaris" is a first person go-on-a-lousy-stargazing-date-and-then-g­et-dumped-at-the-end simulator, part of a larger pack of short-form experimental single player games called "Radiator''.

Before: a Half-Life 2 mod. Now: "Polaris" is a slightly longer standalone game with completely re-done graphics, interactions, voice acting, narrative, a bit of full-frontal male nudity, and neck-strain-tastic Oculus Rift VR support... He's a brand new man, boys.

CzarTim

CardHunter Beta (F2P) is pretty rad. I think it was CzarTim who recommended it. Just tried it and the screenshots dont do it justice at all. The combat system works very well and the loot system is pretty clever and engaging. Instead of you needing to meticulously finetune the whole card catalog, you only equip your items, which correspond with certain cards that you can now use in your deck. This dramatically cuts down the time needed for deck creation while still allowing for quite a bit of customization with several equipment slots and probably more than enough weapons.

The F2P seems rather unintrusive in the SP, since it only gives you MORE loot and doesnt lock content.

The actual combat system is also quite interesting since I am not used to juggling card options on a strategic boardgame. Best game for me this month.

Bonus edit: The art style looks very cool ingame.

I figured you'd like this one! It's a neat little game.

Toma

It's a 4X game, and Endless Space is better imo.
Especially with the addons and modding community. Not to mention its the slickest and prob. most accessible 4x game too.

zh3U1Ix.png

Really looking forward to it, so I dug up a little and found this press release which contains more info.

This sounds a lot like Proteus which I can totally get behind. I enjoyed that quite a bit earlier this year. The bit about uncovering a storyline spanning centuries has me intrigued since I can imagine it being similar to 2001: A Space Odyssey's finale. Will be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Gbraga

Ok, when I'm home from work I'll try to make the Lioness OP, but let me warn you that I'm terrible with those things, so please understand.

Hofmann

This sounds a lot like Proteus which I can totally get behind. I enjoyed that quite a bit earlier this year. The bit about uncovering a storyline spanning centuries has me intrigued since I can imagine it being similar to 2001: A Space Odyssey's finale. Will be keeping an eye on this for sure.

I mentioned it earlier, but the team is releasing Skipping Stones in August, the game which is also inspired by titles such as Proteus and Dear Eather.

What do we do when we are lost, heartbroken, and distracted? Where do we go to be alone, reflect, and wonder at the world we live in?

Skipping Stones is a generative music and poetry game set by a lake-side clearing, where players throw stones onto a lake and listen to the music they make. Featuring a generative sound and poetry engine, Skipping Stones is a small experimental game in the same vein as titles such as Dear Esther and Proteus.

Hofmann

Going with the flow.

RÆTIKON

Mutazione

Some of you probably don't find Dear Esther interesting from a design standpoint, but it really opened floodgates for less conventional games.

my pleasure. just insane how you can do something like this in seven days. it actually has some screenshot potential with its environment

I know, it's pretty amazing. Really looking forward to playing this tonight. I've never played anything quite like this so that's very welcome having got pretty stale with console/handheld gaming recently. PC gaming and in particular indie gaming is pretty damn awesome! :D I should go through this thread and prior threads to pick out some more gems to play but my pc gaming backlog is stressing me out as it is! :)

Toma

I signed up for the beta a few weeks ago after I saw this on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. STILL haven't received my invite yet. :/

Weird, pretty sure I signed up during the june thread when CzarTim mentioned it. Look forward to it! Fun game. Also, if you need Gnomoria help, I can give you private lessons ;)

Toma

Expeditions: Conquistador seems to be a cool game but it didnt grab me immediately in the first 20-30 minutes. This month definitely had other games that were better at immediately grabbing me. Will give it another try when I went through the other games this month.

Toma

If anyone tries HyperSuperCannon, make sure to update your graphics card driver if the game is WAY too fast (and dont use the integrated graphics of your notebook) Cool arcade game but a bit too simple since it only seems to have one gameplay mechanic that doesnt vary while playing. To get a highscore in this game, you need stupidly great reflexes though.

If anyone tries HyperSuperCannon, make sure to update your graphics card driver if the game is WAY too fast (and dont use the integrated graphics of your notebook) Cool arcade game but a bit too simple since it only seems to have one gameplay mechanic that doesnt vary while playing. To get a highscore in this game, you need stupidly great reflexes though.

I played that game. Initially didn't have any idea what was going on the screen or what I was supposed to do, after some minutes it "clicked" and I understood the gameplay and the mechanics. It's resemble a lot Atari games both in visuals and the focus on beating your previous score. As you said Toma, you really need great reflexes.

Toma

I played that game. Initially didn't have any idea what was going on the screen or what I was supposed to do, after some minutes it "clicked" and I understood the gameplay and the mechanics. It's resemble a lot Atari games both in visuals and the focus on beating your previous score. As you said Toma, you really need great reflexes.

Definitely not a bad arcade game, but we had games that interested me more while still carrying that arcade oldschool vibe, like Burn&Turn (which was super fun).

On a different note, anyone got Lair of the Madhat to run? Just getting a black screen on loading.

Toma

MagRunner is damn cool. Its basically a portal style 3D puzzle game that looks quite nice, has some interesting mechanics based around magnetism, a great cutscene art style and a lengthy campaign (15 hours). This could very well be the best Portal style game (after Portal) I played so far. Very positively surprised about this one.

Its also pretty cool that (story spoiler)
the game apparently is transcending into madness as well, after the initial test chambers with levels and fights in space.
Only saw those from screenshots, but it looks damn cool. And another heads up, dont google for screenshots if you dont want to spoil the game.

Platy

Shoryuken did an interesting feature on the indie games avaliable on EVO 2013 ! =D

Inside the Evo 2013 Indie Showcase, Part 1: The Returning Champions
Featuring :
SpyParty (Chris Hecker)
BaraBariBall (Noah Sasso)
Nidhogg (Mark “Messhof” Essen)
Aztez (Team Colorblind)
Super Comboman (Interabang Entertainment)

Inside the Evo Indie Showcase, Part 2: The New Challengers
Featuring :
TowerFall (Matt Thorson)
Treachery in Beatdown City (Shawn Alexander Allen, Manuel Marcano)
Samurai Gunn (Beau Blyth)
Super Space ____ (David Scamehorn, Alexander Baard)

Toma

Good to see Aztez still rolling along, I do like my 2D punch-em-ups so that game does look like it might be good, hopefully.

Yeah, the high focus on a polished proper combat system (not just hack and slashing your way through) made me interested in this game as well.

This game and OST don't get enough credit! I think people are over puzzle platformers. KPULV is a real solid designer so far.

Yeah, I'm really surprised Snapshot hasn't gotten more attention on here. Between Offspring Fling and that, Kyle has become a developer I make sure to keep an eye on. Also, last year he released an old game jam thing he did a few years back called Jottobots. It can be bought on the Humble store for a $1, or more if you feel generous.

http://www.jottobots.com/

It's a short sidescroller that's similar to Metroid but it only lasts for a short time, I don't remember the exact length. You basically try and get as far as possible, and as high as score as possible, before the time runs out.

Nice, I've been waiting on an update to this project. They've had it listed on their site for quite awhile now. But I'm still waiting on the PC port of Where Is My Heart. I played some of it when I had a Vita and it was a very pleasant surprise.

Some of you probably don't find Dear Esther interesting from a design standpoint, but it really opened floodgates for less conventional games.

I loved Dear Esther, one of my favorite games from last year. It's weird, I really enjoy adventure games with minimum gameplay like Esther or Kentucky Route Zero but I had trouble "accepting" The Walking Dead. I think it's because I'm still wrapping my head around the direction that Telltale is now going in.

FYC

Banned
Yeah, I'm really surprised Snapshot hasn't gotten more attention on here. Between Offspring Fling and that, Kyle has become a developer I make sure to keep an eye on. Also, last year he released an old game jam thing he did a few years back called Jottobots. It can be bought on the Humble store for a $1, or more if you feel generous.

http://www.jottobots.com/

It's a short sidescroller that's similar to Metroid but it only lasts for a short time, I don't remember the exact length. You basically try and get as far as possible, and as high as score as possible, before the time runs out.

Jesus H, didn't realize it was made by the Offspring Fling guy. Both games are awesome.

Good work Kyle

Top Bottom