• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Quake - It really is good for you!

The Flash

Banned
After getting my feet wet with the Quake Champions beta I decided to go back to where it all began and play Quake 1 (GL .98 version with Ultimate Quake Patch installed). Boy oh boy is it fast and furious. I've only completed one episode but I'm hooked. Fast paced action, great weapons, interesting locales, cool enemies, and music from Trent Reznor himself. I'm kicking myself for not going back to this earlier. Now I'm hoping that QC does well enough for a Quake singleplayer game to get greenlit with the Quake 1 side of the story of course.

It's my favorite shooter of all time. It's a shame they are disrespecting the legacy by selling it without the iconic soundtrack.

RangerX

Banned
I love Doom 2017 but I genuinely miss the time when Quake and Unreal were really popular. Modern Warfare changed everything. Not bad, it just wasn't my thing.

RedSwirl

This is the most recent thread I could find on Quake 1 so I guess I'll ask here. It's about running the DOS version in software mode.

I decided I'd go ahead and install Quake:The Offering from GOG. I like running Quake in its original 1996 form so I've decided to launch it in software mode (from the many selections the GOG version gives you), which boots the DOSBOX version.

Is that the best vanilla way to play it? I also noticed that the music seems to already be in there, even though I hear everyone saying you have to mod the music back in. I didn't play Quake back in the day though so I don't know exactly what the game is supposed to sound like with music. I looked up a YouTube video and that seems to be what my game sounds like when I play it in DOS.

NismoTigerWVU

Neo Member
An utter masterpiece. There's really every reason why we should expect it to be one of those titles that didn't age well (early title in it's genre, early use of a new graphical paradigm..ect) but it is still every bit as fun today as it was when I was like a 10 year old. The graphics even hold up well thanks to the dark pallette and generally dirty theme. Well that and the recent trend of low poly art make it fit right back in. The only thing that sticks out is the low frame rate of the animations, but then again it imparts a distinct unnatural vibe that gels with world. It would be interesting to see if someone could back port the quake 2 interpolation scheme and compare the results.

Obligatory gotta-go-fast vid.

I love going back to it. Even after all these years, it's still one of the most adrenaline pumping FPS I've ever played.

What's the deal with the soundtrack ?
I was about to play the game (for the first time ever :p).

My understanding is that the Steam version doesn't come with the music, while the GOG version does, but it needs to be mounted in a virtual drive to play. Or just use a source port like Darkplaces, I guess.

Yu Furealdo

It was the logical evolution of fast-paced fps games, but unfortunately not much has come close to it. It has a very dark, brutal, and ancient feeling to it... probably the closest in terms of vibe are the Souls games--Serious Sam the closest in gameplay.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Went through a couple hours of Quake 2 today. I liked it as a kid and its still decent, but man it really is inferior to Quake 1.

The enemy design, the boring maps, the relative slowness. If they wanted you to feel like a heavily armored marine in Quake 2 they succeeded cuz you feel pretty deliberate in your actions in that game compared to the speed of Quake 1. At least the music is still great.

Top Bottom