• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima Productions Community Thread: From Sapiens to Ludens

hideokojimaot129oob.png

kojimaotpart2v2hcu0v.png

Definitely hoping that tweaks and improvements Kojima makes to the Decima toolset make their way back to H:ZD 2 (especially with regard to AI). Not talking shit about Horizon btw, the level of interactivity with machine enemies in that game and the breadth of your toolset by the end of the game is already pretty incredible.

Thanks everyone! I'll make a section for Hideo's games covering Metal Gear, Policenauts, Snatcher, PT/Silent Hills, and Death Stranding ...should be able to work on that later. Kojima tweets often so I am positive we will have plenty to discuss!

Thanks guys! It will be updated over time ...hopefully there will be enough shown at E3 to put together a full section for Death Stranding!

If they show footage I think this thread will blow up.

I hope so! Kojima will have something to show, it's just a matter of whether it's gameplay or another teaser. I think E3 will mark the first real showing of what we're actually getting with Death Stranding, but there will undoubtedly be plenty to talk about regardless of what he does indeed end up showing.

Reminder that Kojima will be at the Tribeca Game Festival to take the stage on April 29th at 5:30 PM ET.

VcuzPtQ.png

Hideo Kojima, creator of the Metal Gear franchise, will talk about the influence of film in his work, both past and present, so we may learn more about his upcoming title Death Stranding. Kojima will be joined on stage with The Game Awards creator Geoff Keighley.

Watch inaugural Tribeca Games Festival featuring Hideo Kojima right here

One notable absence from Sony’s stage this year was Hideo Kojima’s Death Stranding. The celebrated auteur attended the conference but didn’t bring any new footage with him, prompting concerns that we could be in for another of his protracted development cycles. Does the game actually exist beyond the pair of trailers previously released or are we still in the concept stage?

“No, no - its up and running,” Layden confirms. “It’s been aided tremendously after Kojima-San decided to co-opt the Decima [graphics] engine from Guerrilla [that powered Horizon Zero Dawn]. And, gosh, that really gave him a leg up to get up and running and test it and have some prototype levels running. I couldn’t explain to you what the game is…”

Does that mean you’ve actually played some of it?

“I have actually played some of it.”

And is it as revolutionary as Kojima-San is promising?

“[After a thoughtful pause] All that and more!”

So it actually exists?

“It actually exists.”

E3 2017 - PlayStation's Shawn Layden on Death Stranding, Spider-man and the nature of the console competition

Vic_Viper

"And is it as revolutionary as Kojima-San is promising?"

Who came up with these questions lol. First of all I don't remember Kojima ever promising this game will be revolutionary and secondly, what do you expect them to say... no it's just another crappy 3rd persona action game?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm going through MGS5 after punching out halfway. Finding it more enjoyable this time. Makes me really curious to see the systems he implements for Death Stranding.

dracula_x

Hideo Kojima on War, Video Games and 'Death Stranding' → http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...-aims-to-be-a-new-sort-of-game-of-war-w499148

metal_gear_cover-24abab58-76f1-485a-aaf5-850733df82ba.jpg

Metal Gear
As I've shared many times in the past, the request from the corporate top was to create a war game. However, the hardware at the time didn't have the capability to recreate the front lines of battle. Instead, playing off the hardware limitations, I devised a game based on avoiding conflict and sneaking past enemies, the original stealth game: Metal Gear.

"Anti-war" and "Anti-nuclear weapons" were the consistent messages through the series. My parents' generation was born during WWII. My generation grew up listening to their firsthand accounts of war, and we also learned of the wretchedness and absurdity of war and nuclear weapons from the movies and books around us. Video games are a natural fit for "fighting" and "competition," but even so I felt that they should be able to promote an anti-war, anti-nuclear weapons message, and more so, that it was necessary. I also wanted to change the idea that games could only be about fighting.

MGS3

I wanted to show and have players experience the fates and thoughts of characters who are controlled by the changing status of good and evil across eras. That is why I made Big Boss, the "evil" enemy of the "right and just" Solid Snake in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, the hero of the story.

also, interview with Stefanie Joosten on nodontdie.com → https://nodontdie.com/stefanie-joosten/

dracula_x

👉 https://www.gamespot.com/articles/death-stranding-director-hideo-kojima-just-tweeted/1100-6453109/

"An action game can never be completed by ordering from a blueprint and assembling parts off a factory line"

"If decision making and supervision are delayed, production efficiency drops, and that leads to redoing work. In order to avoid this trap, one must make small daily adjustment on site while creating the game," Kojima said. "When everything is outsourced, the parts that come back just don't fit together. That is why it's important to take charge of the little details every day."

"Game creation is different from film making. Let’s say we imagine “a hallway the player is meant to walk down according to the game design. The hallway has meaning in the plot as well as the game design. Is the purpose to deliver the story, to practice the controls, to show the scenery, or to add rhythm to the game play? A variety of possibilities exist.

As the game development proceeds, the details need to be fleshed out. How about the lighting, the walls of the hallway, how long is it and how high is the ceiling? Can doors be opened? Who else walks down the hallway? How does player feel at this moment in the game? There is a never ending stream of revisions based on the plot, gameplay, the map layout, as well as dealing with technical hurdles.

There are other various details to consider, like adding a crank turn to the hallway, is it possible to add NPCs, how to fix poor gameplay tempo, making the characters stand out, or even whether to show the ceiling in cutscenes."

Top Bottom