• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corpse Party |OT| You thought your high school was hell

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks tiltnkirby, picked up the game. I'm a big fan of horror adventure games

Alex

The gameplay is way the hell more interesting than the bad puzzles in other Japanese adventure titles. Exploring around is fun and theres great tension.

daffy

Banned
I agree with Alex here. I wasn't a fan of 999, enjoyed the full story ( or what I have read on Wikipedia ) but found the gameplay dull. Here its really involving and even when you make a bad ending you can sometime go back and play differently, instead of just the same puzzle and a new dialogue choice. The endings are a lot of funn too btw! the spoken dialogue makes a huge difference as well, really adds to the ambience.

although its not so much a visual novel as it is an adventure game with tons of dialogue and a few pictures here and there. I think.

Alex

I liked 999, quite a bit, but any attachment you had from it came from a text crawl. The actual puzzles were pretty lousy and very few and far between and you felt really detached from choices you made

This type of gameplay im really digging. It's like 2d survival horror without any shitty combat. For the writing, thus far the characters are fairly lousy, as is any narrative driven by them but the lore and scenario work is really good stuff from my few hours.

I'd have liked to play more but you know... The holiday... Plus I'm a goddamn wimp and I take it slow. Game does a good job of doting on things that do actually scare me instead of just gore and jump frights. They do a good job of making you feel so fragile and human and really pile on such a ruthless atmosphere.

krYlon

This game is awesome, it feels like a proper adventure game. A puzzle that you have to unravel.
I was worried it would be more like a visual novel, but it isnt like that at all

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wish someone made a walkthrough for Chapter 2 though, kinda getting lost. Spoiler:
Is the teacher supposed to "die" after holding on to the Power Stone?

Anyway, the game is pretty scary alright, despite it having an animu RPGMaker presentation.

graywolf323

Gold Member
stuck in chapter 1

just got into the infirmary and can't seem to progress the game any further
:-/

I don't do well with scary things, so I'm not sure why I'm playing this, haha.

Anyways, I'm stuck in Chapter 1
still. Naomi and Seiko exit the washroom and hear Yuka scream and go to look for her, but no matter where I search I can't trigger anything.

where is the washroom?

edit:
after leaving the very first room I had put the board to go north instead of south, is there something I had to do to the south and how do I get there?

Stuck on post infirmary Chapter 1 again, argh.

So after
escaping the ghost in the infirmary, Noami ends up on 3rd floor where she finds Seiko hung in the bathroom stall. I got out and get the pail to use as a footstool, but when i come back into the bathroom, Seiko is dead. Then 3 child spirits appear and make Naomi eat scissors and she dies. All this happens pretty much in a cutscene. I cant leave the 3rd floor, cant go into the boys room to see any other option. What am I missing??

weeaboo

So after
escaping the ghost in the infirmary, Noami ends up on 3rd floor where she finds Seiko hung in the bathroom stall. I got out and get the pail to use as a footstool, but when i come back into the bathroom, Seiko is dead. Then 3 child spirits appear and make Naomi eat scissors and she dies. All this happens pretty much in a cutscene. I cant leave the 3rd floor, cant go into the boys room to see any other option. What am I missing??

Before the infirmary shitstorm you must visit the classroom 3-A (you need another key) and look at everything

Volcynika

So after

Vague answer:
Don't listen to everything the ghosts tells you.

Detailed answer:
Get into the room with the newspaper, you have to read it, even though the scribbles on the floor say not to read it. If you read it, that scene will play out differently.

Before the infirmary shitstorm you must visit the classroom 3-1 (you need another key) and look at everything

Oh god, so I missed something? I thought I visited all the rooms. Guess I need to go back. Thanks for tips guys.

Still an awesome game.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I already did the
newspaper part

I did just find the
bathroom and the ass cream scene, am I supposed to do something while she's in the bathroom?

jiggles

Banned
Chapter 2 is gruesome as fuck.

The voice acting when the dude was getting buried alive gave me the chills. You almost feel his throat filling with dirt, it was so vivid.

It's a shame the boy ghost walking around is such an instakill, though. He's really tricky to pass at certain parts of the hallway. I haven't finished the chapter yet because he got me for the fifth time last night and I was too frustrated to continue.

I also read all 5 of the notes. Eurgh.

graywolf323

Gold Member
finally completed chapter 1 though I haven't gotten the extra ending yet

did get the other ending
where you get killed in the infirmary

matmanx1

Someone else said this was a bargain at $20 and I completely agree. The only spot where the game feels "budget" is in the character sprites and that's just because of the age of the original game.

Everything else is excellent. The audio is especially top notch and really helps to sell the atmosphere and complete the package. I can see why this came out as a full priced PSP game in Japan and why it's garnered critical acclaim and made a number of fans.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Remind me to never play this at night with headphones on ever again. Dead ends are the worst (got the one SpaceBridge did).

:(

Game is now reserved for playing during the daytime when other people are awake. I'm having a good time with it outside of getting really creeped out, though. Dialogue is great, and the audio is amazing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Trying to grab all the endings. Anyone know where Memoir 5/5 is in Chapter 2?

EDIT: Nevermind got it! Looks like I didn't look at 4/5 beforehand.

ULTROS!

Just started Chapter 2. This game...
I guess there's no way to keep the teacher alive, is there? So sad.

Spoiler:
Was she holding the power stone?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Que? I gave the
power stone to the two student who were in the same room as her, but she died later when that ghost knocked a cabinet on her.

Not giving it to them traps them later.

In other news since I'm redoing Chapter 3 for ID tags I was wondering if those jumbled signs mean anything?
These ones:
E C D K N U C O
T I E I O I
D K R E A E N

A H E S O
D B T N W G
E O T C C D

S R S I M I R M
H S E Y H W D S R
S F M H B K S O

Not giving it to them traps them later.

In other news since I'm redoing Chapter 3 for ID tags I was wondering if those jumbled signs mean anything?
These ones:
E C D K N U C O
T I E I O I
D K R E A E N

A H E S O
D B T N W G
E O T C C D

So I did good then? Phew. This game is intense.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just a quick question: how long is this game roughly? I know there's multiple endings and such too.

Didn't keep track myself but VNDB's entry says around 10-30 hours which seems around the right amount of time accounting for various reading speeds and getting stuck.
http://vndb.org/v2632

For those in Chapter 3 looking to get all the ID tags: Don't read the 4 memoirs available to you before the last area.

Javaman

Someone else said this was a bargain at $20 and I completely agree. The only spot where the game feels "budget" is in the character sprites and that's just because of the age of the original game.

Everything else is excellent. The audio is especially top notch and really helps to sell the atmosphere and complete the package. I can see why this came out as a full priced PSP game in Japan and why it's garnered critical acclaim and made a number of fans.
$20 is the sweetspot for me. I'm looking forward to picking this up later today. Do you have to play through a lot again if you die? I hope not because it leads me to decision paralysis and faq lookups.

ULTROS!

So wait... Regarding Chapter 2.

For the best ending, should the teacher hold on to the Power Stone or not?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So wait... Regarding Chapter 2.

For the best ending, should the teacher hold on to the Power Stone or not?

her not giving the students the power stone pretty much locks you into a bad ending no matter what since one part is inescapable without it.

ULTROS!

her not giving the students the power stone pretty much locks you into a bad ending no matter what since one part is inescapable without it.

Argh.
Guess I have to do the chapter again then. Will this affect Chapter 3 and onwards?

graywolf323

Gold Member
I really hope someone gets a FAQ up for this game soon

it's actually the #9 on the list of most wanted FAQs over at GameFAQs

Just started playing this, I'm finding it enjoyable
so far. I was apprehensive after the praise that piece of trash 999 got here on GAF.
Anyway, I'm only on the first Chapter still but I have to ask, and it's probably been covered already but what the hell is up with
the ass cream part? It's approached so non-chalauntly I had a mental double take. Is it a cultural thing or what? I've never heard of the dry asshole phenomenon anywhere, especially to the point where someone would carry around cream for it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Cleared the game 100%!
bOnam.png

One thing though it glitched one of the student ID tags at the end of Chapter 5 with prevented me from 100%ing the ID collection.
Looked it up on the Japanese wiki and examined the corpses where it said it was and getting it was a no go.
Offending ID:
JrBnp.png

Volcynika

Chapter 3 question.

I'm at where Satoshi is gone and you're just the little girl walking around. She says to hide, and when I go in the bathroom, I get locked in there with the ghost and can't do anything. Should I have told her to keep that jar she offered Satoshi?

weeaboo

Chapter 3 question.

I'm at where Satoshi is gone and you're just the little girl walking around. She says to hide, and when I go in the bathroom, I get locked in there with the ghost and can't do anything. Should I have told her to keep that jar she offered Satoshi?

Try to open the door multiple times

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So where can one get the pc version? It's the same game, right?

ULTROS!

Tried like 20 times and nothing. D:

Try going to the right area, avoid the bathroom... And then return to the bathroom area.

I want to like this game, and I still do, but honestly, Im finding somethings to be too obscure for me. Im stuck, again.

Chapter 2 spoilers:

So, my teacher is dead, I gave the power stone to the two students, who are wandering around. Found the nail remover in the creepy long classroom, with the child ghost. Made the mistake of looking into his eyes, and I died. Redid it again, and didnt do it the second time, but after leaving the room, the girl student becomes possessed and runs off. I find her in the entrance way of the school, where she snaps out of it, Leave the entrance way and now the ghost kid is wandering the halls. I cant seem to progress further, as all halls everything in the school is a dead end. What am I missing?

ULTROS!

I want to like this game, and I still do, but honestly, Im finding somethings to be too obscure for me. Im stuck, again.

Chapter 2 spoilers:

So, my teacher is dead, I gave the power stone to the two students, who are wandering around. Found the nail remover in the creepy long classroom, with the child ghost. Made the mistake of looking into his eyes, and I died. Redid it again, and didnt do it the second time, but after leaving the room, the girl student becomes possessed and runs off. I find her in the entrance way of the school, where she snaps out of it, Leave the entrance way and now the ghost kid is wandering the halls. I cant seem to progress further, as all halls everything in the school is a dead end. What am I missing?

Go back to the room where you started Chapter 2 and use the nail puller on the door slightly covered by the cabinet, use the machine, then go to the long room where you saw the ghost child.

Go back to the room where you started Chapter 2 and use the nail puller on the door slightly covered by the cabinet, use the machine, then go to the long room where you saw the ghost child.

Thank you. Honestly though, how do you guys know to do this? I mean, its just so random and obscure.

Top Bottom