• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

In fairness, sometimes that just happens. I had to drop 10% off my Sufferfest ride yesterday to get through it. Even sustaining 260 watts felt like pretty much everything I had, when normally I can just pootle along at those outputs reasonably comfortably.

Snow needs to be tightly packed to be any fun IMO. Fresh snow is interesting for 10 minutes and then it just sucks.

We had rain for a few hours before the snow hit too so it's more than likely a massive mess.

In fairness, sometimes that just happens. I had to drop 10% off my Sufferfest ride yesterday to get through it. Even sustaining 260 watts felt like pretty much everything I had, when normally I can just pootle along at those outputs reasonably comfortably.

I emailed TR and they gave me some stuff to try so I'll do that. I'm also debating just dropping it or re-testing today and giving it a go again tomorrow.

I just did this for Stage 8 of the Tour of Sufferlandria.

Revolver

Then Revolver is Easy (Half of Revolver, Half of Half is Easy).

Then Half is Easy

For a total of over two hours full of intervals on the trainer. I think I might go and die now. Final stage tomorrow, a two and a half hour endurance ride. =/

Jesus I think I saw a pinarello dogma f10 with the new dura ace on the train today. With flat pedals.

glol

0OoO0

Looking for cycling glasses. Not really interested in expensive ones e.g. Jawbreakers.

Any recommendations? Should I get fakes instead?

Mascot

Looking for cycling glasses. Not really interested in expensive ones e.g. Jawbreakers.

Any recommendations? Should I get fakes instead?

Bolle Silium. Cheap as chips.

41ChCWTO0jL._UX522_.jpg

Butt is bruised to pieces after yesterday's trainer session, and I've got another 2.5 hour long one to deal with today. Going to be fucking agony. :(

HTupolev

Today I got a fly in my eye! And here I was thinking that ciclying glasses were kinda douchy. >-< .
It's also critical to have some form of sunglasses on sunny days. In addition to moment-to-moment discomfort and lack of vision, it's entirely possible for a lengthy sunny ride to result in a bit of eyeball sunburn. Sunburned eyeball sucks.

Glasses aren't 100% protection from flies, though. They can still get into places like your ears. Uuuggghhh

KazeSim

Neo Member
Today I got a fly in my eye! And here I was thinking that ciclying glasses were kinda douchy. >-< .
I ended up finding out they're a necessity the hard way! When i used to ride to work, i kept getting these nasty nat like bugs in my eyes several times a mile.

T8SC

Any of you guys got any races/sportives to do this year? (Not including Zwift/BKool indoor stuff) Any goals or targets for said rides?

T8SC

Ha... that's the question. I want to get it done in under 10 hours, but because of the altitude / elevation it'll mean pedalling til my heart explodes.

Unrelated, what's so special about this bike?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/speedx-unicorn-smart-road-bike-with-power-meter#/

No idea. I'll compare it to an "all in the box" hifi compared to something that you add to.

Comes with power meter, smart computer thing for a relatively cheap price. Whereas most bikes would need all this stuff added to them.

Also - hyper carbon. :-D

I'll stick with my Cannondale.

broony

Blech. Power meters are still crazy expensive.

When they eventually drop I will definitely get one, but yeah I can't justify it. I like training on the turbo to specified power, but the turbo is never as fun as being outside. Being able to do both would be perfect, but prices are still too much.

Teggy

Any of you guys got any races/sportives to do this year? (Not including Zwift/BKool indoor stuff) Any goals or targets for said rides?

I want to do D2R2 although I don't know if I will try the main event or one of the shorter rides. As of the end of last season I was still struggling to figure out my sore rear end issues so it remains to be seen if I am going to stick with doing long rides.

Edit: jinx!

Don't race, but am thinking about doing the http://www.franklinlandtrust.org/d2r2

I have some friends who want to do the Dirty Kanza, but doing 200 miles through Kansas sounds like the most god awful thing http://dirtykanza.com/

Ha... that's the question. I want to get it done in under 10 hours, but because of the altitude / elevation it'll mean pedalling til my heart explodes.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/speedx-unicorn-smart-road-bike-with-power-meter#/

It has everything integrated and is "smart". AKA some tech jackass thinks this is the better answer than individual components because DISRUPTION

I've been having trouble with 4700 Tiagra rear derailleur for winter use. It seems to get gunked up fairly easily, at which point shifts become a bit erratic (I have new gear cable that has shifted well even after the stretching period so it's not that). I'm now trying cleaning it, dousing it in WD40, waiting overnight then and keep lubricating it with chain oil every night for a few days.

I should probably watch the GCN video on refurbishing a rear derailleur. I posted this in advance so everyone can laugh if I've fucked it up.

But I do have to say that the mountain derailleurs I have (XT, SLX) are far more tolerant of dirt.

Any of you have familiarity with Fabric/Charge saddles? The Scoop shallow is intriguing me.

I have a Scoop. Very good.

Unrelated. Finally got around to fitting fully sealed gear cables on old faithful. Wasn't too bad a job in the end. Hopefully they'll hold up well as I was sick of my rear derailleur cable getting rusted / stuck.

Scoop is the US version of the Charge Spoon. It's seem like it can give me what I like but the aliante but in a more comfortable platforms.

You guy shave the shallow/flat/radius?

Shallow.

Charge Spoon looks like it's the same, but it's not. The covers are different, the shapes are different, and they don't have the varying profiles.

HTupolev

A problematic solution looking for a problem.

The earlier SpeedX bike, the Leopard, was universally panned. In order to check off lots of featureset boxes in an aero bike at a low price point, they basically put together a terrible bike. The consensus was that it would be okay if you immediately upgraded the shit out of it, but that you'd have better results just getting a better bike and buying a computer for it. And what you got in the bargain was being locked into a proprietary stem and computer design. Hooray!

Was quite surprised at the number of places making a massive fuss about it. I don't know roadie stuff so I figured there had to be something I was missing.

Apparently not. :D

Addnan

Has the new speedx been tested by any bike websites yet.. When they announced it they got a bunch of tech websites to report on it and test it.

T8SC

I've been having trouble with 4700 Tiagra rear derailleur for winter use. It seems to get gunked up fairly easily, at which point shifts become a bit erratic (I have new gear cable that has shifted well even after the stretching period so it's not that). I'm now trying cleaning it, dousing it in WD40, waiting overnight then and keep lubricating it with chain oil every night for a few days.

I should probably watch the GCN video on refurbishing a rear derailleur. I posted this in advance so everyone can laugh if I've fucked it up.

But I do have to say that the mountain derailleurs I have (XT, SLX) are far more tolerant of dirt.

Can't say I've ever experienced that on my 5700 or 5800 rear mechs (Or my Red22 mech, but Sram is superior anyway :-D ). It does sound like you're putting a lot of oil on it, unless I've interpreted your post wrongly. "Wet" oil tends to pick up every bit of dirt possible unlike "Dry" oil so maybe use less oil & less frequent oilings.

On a side note, my Wattbike love/hate relationship continues. No amount of BCAA's & protein are fixing these legs tonight. :-D

Can't say I've ever experienced that on my 5700 or 5800 rear mechs (Or my Red22 mech, but Sram is superior anyway :-D ). It does sound like you're putting a lot of oil on it, unless I've interpreted your post wrongly. "Wet" oil tends to pick up every bit of dirt possible unlike "Dry" oil so maybe use less oil & less frequent oilings.

On a side note, my Wattbike love/hate relationship continues. No amount of BCAA's & protein are fixing these legs tonight. :-D

It's not really that much oil, I'm wiping it down immediately as well. Also should have said I'm not riding the bike during this oil thing, because dry or wet lube, going out in the current slush/salt/sand mix would undo everything. I just want the oil to soak into the crevices of the pivot points, and then it'll hopefully hold together.

Also I got the number wrong. It's a 4600, ie. old Tiagra. 10 speed 105 derailleurs are cheap as chips these days and compatible with the shifters so I might just try one of them to see if they last longer.

T8SC

It's not really that much oil, I'm wiping it down immediately as well. Also should have said I'm not riding the bike during this oil thing, because dry or wet lube, going out in the current slush/salt/sand mix would undo everything. I just want the oil to soak into the crevices of the pivot points, and then it'll hopefully hold together.

Also I got the number wrong. It's a 4600, ie. old Tiagra. 10 speed 105 derailleurs are cheap as chips these days and compatible with the shifters so I might just try one of them to see if they last longer.

I would hazard a guess that the 6700 Ultegra isn't much more either, should fit too as I know the mech works with 5700 shifters so prob 4600 too. I found my 6700 was a smoother change when I upgraded from 5700, so could be worth checking those prices too.

Winter Park and Crested Butte enduros probably.

D2R2 is super fun, I did it a few years ago. Amazing riding, highly recommended.

T8SC

Sounds like everyone's got some nice sportives/races planned this year.

I've got quite a lot to do but the main one is the Fred Whitton Challenge in May - http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.co.uk

I would assume those within the UK know of this event, even some outside. Basically it's 112 miles & 11,000 feet of ascent on road bikes. A few of the main climbs are: Kirkstone Pass (20%), Honister Pass (25%), Newlands Pass (25%), Whinlatter Pass (15%), Cold Fell (15%), Hardknott Pass (33%) & Wrynose Pass (25%).

You arrive at Hardknott Pass having done 99 miles, it's grueling to say the least. I'm aiming for a sub 6 1/2 hour time.

Top Bottom