• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

l4d3? (Source 2 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really stop people from speculating about the theatrical stuff, but let's at least try to keep the thread from being about Xbox One versus other platform console wars, slagging reddit (real talk: There's huge user overlap between reddit and GAF, there are lots of excellent sub-reddits and I read several of reddit's gaming-related reddits myself, and most reddit mods strike me as pretty fair individuals. Especially mods of larger reddits, who are generally chosen because they're good and level-headed posters.), or getting into other totally unrelated stuff posting by a blogger who posted about this subject. If you think someone is posting nonsense, well, the best response is to not give it oxygen, right?

So, basically:
- Thread is about L4D3 image
- Obviously people are going to discuss the drama around the imgur metadata stuff and we can't stop that.
- Since the user who was accused has posted himself in this thread I'm not going to remove subsequent posts mentioning the name (just as we don't prohibit users from sharing their own personal information), but again in general we really discourage the kind of linking of personal information, accusing people of being things, etc.
- Try not to make it a general place to slag off every place that's not NeoGAF.

Quoting because it was at the bottom of the page.

Damn shame though. I had so many more jokes.

ugh, totally missed THN's post

Most definitely will be fixing the Art pipeline workflow. Compared to UDK/CryEngine or any other modern engine, it's embarrassing. Writing manual qc files you have to manually drag onto a batch file to compile a model is not something you should be doing in 2014.
It will likely use a similar Content browser like Unreal judging by the slides, where you can properly organize and filter assets & reimport them with a right click if the FBX has been modified. I'd be surprised if they still keep the vmt/vtf texture file system. it's all archaic to be honest.

Valve have progressively been moving into more heavily modeled environments with each new game. I'm sure they will keep the legacy brush editing tools they have (it really is the easiest to pick up). But they are bound to be mostly a model based engine like Unreal. This would require new streaming tech, since BSP visibility is mostly controlled by the designer in Hammer with areaportals and vis brushes. Streaming requires more precise and dynamic PVS system to cull meshes out of the players viewpoint whilst streaming in new stuff. So yeah, hopefully we'll get a load-free game!

A feature I'd personally love would be simultaneous real-time map editing. Currently you can break down maps into sub-maps called instances, meaning multiple people could work on portions of a map and update to a server without overwriting progress (pretty standard). Having asynchronous editing would be a dream, seeing people in the same 3D space building the world with you.

Also model instancing. Where you take one unique instance of a mesh & duplicate it as many times as you like without affecting the data or memory footprint, since it uses the original's. Pretty sure that's a DX10(?)/11 feature.

Model scaling. How in the hell has Source never supported this? bahhhhh.

Deferred Rendering. Probably a given since DOTA 2 has moved onto that. They will probably have some Global Illumination solution implemented to make up for the lack of baked lightmaps & radiosity/light-bouncing. Would be amazing if it was realtime GI, but no idea, to be honest.

Every feature DX11 allows. Volumetric lighting/shadowing, particle lighting/shadowing, real-time reflections, maybe Physically Based material system? Deferred and PBL go hand in hand. Along with DX11, it is highly likely to be supporting OpenGL 100% since that's been Valve's push with the Steam Machines/OS.

Editor UI to be customizable, window tabs & docking elements how you please. The 3D viewport will probably display lighting/effects in realtime, or at least, an approximation of what it will look like. (Curse you lighting preview!). Please be Ctrl+G to play.

Mostly likely has upgraded physics/destruction? Maybe on the scale that cinematic physics achieved, but dynamic (since those are actually animated simulations exported from a 3D program).

God I dunno haha, so many things in the engine I'd love and Valve have ignored in the past. I just hope they don't break the toolset as frequently as they did with Source & screwed over lots of mod teams.

All I'm sure of is some sort of backwards compatibility with Source to allow content migration to Source 2, much like they did with GoldSrc to Source.

From what I read about Steam Dev Days, it seems Valve fully went with OGL with Source 2. No DX. If true, what's your take on that? What would it mean? I don't know what features DX and OGL share.

H4r4kiri

I never heard about Misterxmedia , but i stopped by to read their stuff.
Do they have some points about the Xbox Power ?

Their theorys are so god damn good ( irony).

For me it looks like they are just Fanboys you are hitting on Sony ?

Syf

Banned
I just hope one of Valve's main focal points with this engine is physics. Environmental destruction that isn't superficial. The screens we've seen seem like they could be indicating that. Would really add a lot to a game like L4D.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ugh, totally missed THN's post

From what I read about Steam Dev Days, it seems Valve fully went with OGL with Source 2. No DX. If true, what's your take on that? What would it mean? I don't know what features DX and OGL share.

These days they're pretty comparable, especially if you're using extensions to fix some of the issues with OpenGL, but notably OpenGL has the advantage of not needing newer versions of Windows to use your whole hardware feature set.

Mully

What the heck happened in here?

Can't this just be about LEFT 4 DEAD!?

Supposedly these are the new characters for L4D3 according to CBOAT.

cast.jpg

There's not a lot of truth on that site. (original phrasing redacted following stumpakow's post about not slagging off other sites)

How ironic. The people cboat was providing insider information to are the ones screwing him over in the end.

This sucks...

Source 2 looks great though. Can't wait!

tkalamba

Working in the industry tells me otherwise. The only time legal gets involved with an advertising campaign is if a contest is involved with legal conditions over prizing. Otherwise Media agencies and their partner Creative Agencies have a lot of autonomy over the campaign and processes.

Only the vendor, or in that case Machinima's legal team would have been involved, and that would have been far removed from MS. CBOAT wouldn't have any insight on the matter given his previous leaks. He would have been better off not commenting.

This is completely off the topic at hand, but I had pointed out the processes involved in that thread somewhere. It's probably buried now.

I can't wait to see Source 2 in action, I want HL3.

MisterX is hilarious to read, but tooooootally full of shit. I go there for entertainment a couple times a week.

These days they're pretty comparable, especially if you're using extensions to fix some of the issues with OpenGL, but notably OpenGL has the advantage of not needing newer versions of Windows to use your whole hardware feature set.

I'm not as knowledgeable of OpenGl as I am DX, but they are similar in terms of the end product & capabilities. OpenGL may turn out to be actually a lot better since Valve won't be held back by the Windows platform, waiting for DirectX updates from Microsoft. More control is in their hands.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I wouldn't say everything was right.

He posted in the thread about the youtube shenanigans about advertising materials being vetted by legal, which is not entirely accurate.
He said that contracts are vetted by legal, which is entirely accurate. Don't move the goalposts.

lockload

There's not a lot of truth on that site. (original phrasing redacted following stumpakow's post about not slagging off other sites)

Majority bollocks but the information about what has gone on in this thread seems to highlight issues with this thread, removal of posts, updating of year old posts etc

Editing of posts fine but blanket deleting comes across as protecting the inner circle

Heretic

holy SHIT the the fact that people are buying into this lunatic's insanity is a little bit depressing. It reads like a 3rd graders conspiracy theory of "Sony did 9/11."

dGPU add-on in late 2014 confirmed!

There CANNOT be people that believe this. Maybe before launch because nothing was concrete but now...

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It's quite entertaining seeing MisterX and /v/ getting excited thinking that they've exposed and defeated CBOAT.

cchum

It's quite entertaining seeing MisterX and /v/ getting excited thinking that they've exposed and defeated CBOAT.

lol....they have proofs though mang. And apparently Neogaf is out to get Microsoft by using a Mod to discredit them.

Believe.

Axass

Majority bollocks but the information about what has gone on in this thread seems to highlight issues with this thread, removal of posts, updating of year old posts etc

Editing of posts fine but blanket deleting comes across as protecting the inner circle

Honestly if it happenned this time only I could understand, but the no-personal-info rule has always been enforced. CBOAT or the other member also have no affiliation with the staff, so you can't really talk of inner circle.

More like protecting a leaker who could lose his job if discovered, a leaker who passes interesting infos (so far never proven wrong as far as I know) to the community. Why shouldn't the mods protect him?

The whole SonyGAF thing is ridiculous in first place, I've got no PS4 and no X1, I'm more of a Nintendo guy, but even I can see that many GAF members just call out the unreasonable stuff that Microsoft is doing since the Adam Orth scandal. It's not like the forum is actively working to ruin Microsoft and the Xbox, there's no hivemind, and if the majority here thinks that Microsoft has done many wrong things, there has to be a reason, unless we're all madmen.

Sorry, I've been away for a few days and just happened upon this thread - what has happened in regards to exposing CBoaT and the like?

I find the notion of Source 2 pretty interesting; but it seems like this thread has become about /v/ and reddit in some way?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

We deleted the posts that occurred immediately when a member identified the imgur metadata connection. We publicly disclosed that we deleted those posts and why we deleted the posts. We do not allow people to try to track down people's personal information. Reddit doesn't either, which is why links to this story were removed by moderators in several subreddits. This is pretty much basic Internet 101. We do this any time it happens. We did not and would not ban the original user who identified the connection because he clearly wasn't trying to witch hunt or anything, he just noticed something odd when he was looking for more info on the story. We then updated the image in the OP to remove the connection there. That is identified publicly in the OP. So that's the limits of moderation involvement here. There have been, to my knowledge, no subsequent deleted posts. When posts are deleted, they are "soft deleted", so I can still see deleted posts and I'm telling you personally there's no epidemic of stuff being removed. This is an example of what it looks like on my end when a post is deleted. We removed the initial derail, and publicly acknowledged that we did. Well, sorry, that's quite accurate. We did not say "We deleted these posts", we made it clear that we had intervened to remove a derail of that nature and subsequent users explained it. So sorry if there was a confusion when I said "Don't try to post people's personal info" and it wasn't clear that I was referring to a deleted derail of people trying to post people's personal info.

I assume that the person who was outed as being a potential source of this information edited his own posts--you are also allowed to edit your own posts. Go ahead. Edit out all your past posts. No one cares. It's not a conspiracy. Go for it.--because he was worried he'd get in trouble with whoever his source was. If he was a primary source because he was employed by Valve or some other company that had access to this information, I trust he edited out his connection in an effort to not get fired or reprimanded? If you really want to stalk the person's post history, you'll see he's the only one who edited out his own posts. Like, isn't this obvious?

The story incorrectly claims the affected user is a GAF moderator. You can clearly verify yourself that he is not. Users repeating the story have incorrectly claimed the affected user was a GAF moderator. He was not. You can clearly verify that yourself--he's only been on the site for a year or so, and you can easily track down all new moderator appointments during that period of time. This is information used to ascertain how the user in question was able to edit out his old posts. In reality any user can do this. Feel free to edit out your own posts if you have disclosed information linking things to you that you don't want linked to you.

I have no idea what the "inner circle" is (legitimately what do people think we do with our day?) but personally I had never heard of the person who has been identified as a NeoGAF moderator until yesterday. Sorry to the user in question that I didn't notice you. When a few of the moderators asked each other "what the hell is going on here", SteveYoungblood was the only person who recognized the user well. There are like 150,000 members here. It's hard enough keeping track of actual troublemakers and good posters who have tens of thousands of posts. Where is the conspiracy?

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Working in the industry tells me otherwise. The only time legal gets involved with an advertising campaign is if a contest is involved with legal conditions over prizing. Otherwise Media agencies and their partner Creative Agencies have a lot of autonomy over the campaign and processes.

Legal is involved when contracts are signed because they are legally bound and liable based on the criteria in said SLA.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That theory on MisterX's blog is fucking insane. So now GAF isn't Sony controlled, it's being controlled by Valve, who for some reason hate the Xbone? Dude must be mentally ill to be able to spew such shit.

He IS mentally ill and I'm not saying that to be derogative, I'm using it to be accurate. I think it's about time HE was caught out because I go there for a laugh and I'm very good at picking up patterns in text. HIS inside source expresses himself EXACTLY the same as MisterX and makes EXACTLY the same grammatical errors. He basically has a conversation with himself and all the fools over there can't see it.

He regularly has lists up naming people on Gaf that have been wrongly banned for just being Xbox fans. One such list featured MY name. He has a campaign going on at the moment encouraging his followers to go out into other forums and mess things up for Sony fans. You can find the actual message in picture form if you go to his site and scroll down.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
He IS mentally ill and I'm not saying that to be derogative, I'm using it to be accurate. I think it's about time HE was caught out because I go there for a laugh and I'm very good at picking up patterns in text. HIS inside source expresses himself EXACTLY the same as MisterX and makes EXACTLY the same grammatical errors. He basically has a conversation with himself and all the fools over there can't see it.

He regularly has lists up naming people on Gaf that have been wrongly banned for just being Xbox fans. One such list featured MY name. He has a campaign going on at the moment encouraging his followers to go out into other forums and mess things up for Sony fans. You can find the actual message in picture form if you go to his site and scroll down.

He put me on that list too. I had been banned for thread whining like a week before I was listed on a stupid post of his, but I enjoyed seeing my name on the list. It made me feel famous. I would just continue to either laugh at or ignore his posts, though. It seems like he is getting to you and that's obviously what he wants.

akira28

1. That means that CBOAT (one of 3 main Microsoft haters on internet that sets the tone for all others MS haters) is neogaf.com moderator
XXX.
:lol
I'm fine with him being wrong as fuck, because it takes the heat off of cboat. But the idea that anyone takes him seriously is crazy. I guess he figures the true believers will take any port in a storm.

trinest

I don't think I posted in this before the conspiracy before, but did we have Valve Steam 2.0 powerpoint stuff once before? If so does this match up to what was shown then? Not sure if I'm remembering right. But it could be a way to have an extra step of verification there.

Because he is fucking insane. Have you actually read anything on his blog? You probably shouldn't to avoid brain damage.

What about the Reddit thread, everyone is acting like even though one of the mods posted over there that because his posts are anti Xbox and all PS4 at times, he can't be trusted and that is evidence that the dude could of been a mod or some bullshit.

This thread has gone interesting places haha.

But back on topic. I really want to see the kind of features that could be implemented on Source 2.

I must admit that based on my experience with Valve games (and a bit of mapping), Source is my favorite game engine. It's outdated in several aspects tho, so a new version with more recent features would be extremely exciting.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
He put me on that list too. I had been banned for thread whining like a week before I was listed on a stupid post of his, but I enjoyed seeing my name on the list. It made me feel famous. I would just continue to either laugh at or ignore his posts, though. It seems like he is getting to you and that's obviously what he wants.

No, he's not getting to me at all. What I'm pissed off about is what he's just done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom