• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

When making eggs in the manner of Gordon Ramsay's recipe on Youtube, is there a method to prevent them from sticking to a stainless steel pan and being absolutely impossible to get off?
Haven't found it. My best non stick skillet is a 12" pan, so it works best when I'm making a half dozen or more eggs in it. Even then, there's still some residue, but it comes off much easier.

If you want to clean the residue off easier, add a small layer of water to the pan and put in on the stove. Use a flat end spatula and just keeping scraping along the bottom. It'll eventually come loose and then you can use a scratchy sponge to clean the little bits off.

Edit to Add: Here's a post I made a while ago about making Gordon's eggs, with a picture of the skillet.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216365043&postcount=1624

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
our easter lunch: Okonomiyaki

dvWnG7X.jpg

2N4sDKo.jpg

5Jo7AEk.jpg

okonomiyaki with shrimp and bacon.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I finally convinced the girlfriend to start dieting again (yay!), so I guess my contributions to this thread are going to slow down by a lot. Meanwhile, I made a huge (and I mean *huge*) batch of fit chili adapting this recipe.

I won't bother with pictures since chicken chili pretty much looks like the white goop coming from this walker, but it tastes great and it's freezer friendly. Some notes for those interested:

-I increased the amount of minced chicken by two for extra protein.
-I halved the amount of chipotles since the required amount is way too much unless you want to get your tongue incinerated.
-I had no fresh jalapeños, so I used a few slices from a jar. I also halved the amount because I like to taste my food. The vinegar gave the recipe a surprisingly nice tang.
-No corn, no avocado, no chips.
-The 30 min mark is waaaaay too short unless you like your chili runny and soup-like. I kept mine simmering for a couple of hours.

I should probably research some way to make it from dried beans using the pressure cooker since canned ones are more expensive and I'm trying to be more frugal with my food.

snacknuts

we all knew her
No pics (sorry!), but I had a busy weekend of cooking. Friday afternoon/evening, I made this recipe for slow-cooked ragu bolognese. It was a fair amount of work and kind of expensive to get everything I needed, but clawdhammercy was it tasty. For reasons I will never pretend to understand, I made the full recipe instead of halving it, so my 6 qt Dutch oven was very nearly full. Fortunately, my family came over to help wreck it. Still a bunch of leftovers.

I made fettucine noodles to go with it using this recipe for pasta dough. It was my first time with this recipe, and it was a million times better than I've gotten with other pasta-making attempts. My family wouldn't shut up about how good they thought it was.

The bolognese recipe called for a 1/2 lb of chicken livers. Since 1 lb was the smallest package I could get from my local meat department, I had leftovers. So Saturday morning, I took at a stab at this recipe for scrambled eggs with chicken livers. It was easy and smelled wonderful, but it turns out I am just not a person who cares for liver, as much as I might like to be. But hey, we'll never find out what we do and don't like if we don't try new things!

Tonight I am going to try smoking chicken wings on my Weber kettle grill. It will be my first-ever attempt at smoking anything. I ordered a Slow N Sear last week that got delivered on Saturday, so I am looking forward to putting it through its paces.

In german:
Borretsch
Sauerampfer
Kresse
Petersilie
Estragon
Kerbel
Dill
Schnittlauch
Pimpinelle

You know what's the difference between me and a good cook? Even though I'm German, I've never heard oh Borretsch or Pimpinelle. *fades back into lurking mode where he can dwell in his own mediocrity*

thespot84

You know what's the difference between me and a good cook? Even though I'm German, I've never heard oh Borretsch or Pimpinelle. *fades back into lurking mode where he can dwell in his own mediocrity*

pimpinelle is just anise I think and borretsch (borage) seems pretty obscure. Don't be so hard on yourself

You know, for a peasant meal, shepard's pie is way too much work. Seriously, it took me hours to get it done and I think I do it the lazy way too.

But it's everyone's favorite.

Nordicus

Mom gave me a recipe for home-made kebab meat that she found and I was tempted to try. Nothing special was required for it.

The texture of the spiced ground beef after 3.5 hours cooked in 100 °C was solid enough that I could carve pieces out of the 'meatloaf' pretty decently after I let it sit in the fridge overnight. It ended up not having that strong of a taste, but I was way more concerned of the texture so I'd call it a moderate success. I can always spice it up on the skillet.

The crazy thing tho was how good that white sauce ended up being. It's 400 grams of turkish yoghurt, and 3 chopped cloves of garlic, mixed and let season in the fridge overnight. That's it.

mind sharing your recipe :D?
I make it simple.
Ground beef - you can season it and add some diced onion and garlic and stuff, but I don't find it to make a big difference with the soup added. Nor did I have any to add last night.
1 or 2 cans of golden mushroom soup (enough to coat the meat)
1 pound of green beans. Frozen cook up softer than fresh. I even sautéed the fresh grean beans before adding them and they were still a bit crunchy. You can also use corn or the frozen veggie mix with corn, green beans, and peas/carrots. I just use green beans to get some added veggies in and a little less starch and carbs.
3-5 pounds of potatoes to make amazing mashed potatoes. This is the only thing I salt.
Then a bunch of shredded cheese on top. I used a Mexican cheddar blend and added shredded parmesan.

Bake it for 30-60mins to heat it all up and melt the cheese on top.

The carrots, I sauteed them for a few minutes in some butter on the stove. Then I added them to the cast iron griddle I keep in the oven for about the last ten minutes of baking.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I make it simple.
Ground beef - you can season it and add some diced onion and garlic and stuff, but I don't find it to make a big difference with the soup added. Nor did I have any to add last night.
1 or 2 cans of golden mushroom soup (enough to coat the meat)
1 pound of green beans. Frozen cook up softer than fresh. I even sautéed the fresh grean beans before adding them and they were still a bit crunchy. You can also use corn or the frozen veggie mix with corn, green beans, and peas/carrots. I just use green beans to get some added veggies in and a little less starch and carbs.
3-5 pounds of potatoes to make amazing mashed potatoes. This is the only thing I salt.
Then a bunch of shredded cheese on top. I used a Mexican cheddar blend and added shredded parmesan.

Bake it for 30-60mins to heat it all up and melt the cheese on top.

The carrots, I sauteed them for a few minutes in some butter on the stove. Then I added them to the cast iron griddle I keep in the oven for about the last ten minutes of baking.

thank you, I'll make chicken pie today, but I'll make this recipe on sunday :D

zbarron

It's my wife and my anniversary so I made shrimp scampi as an appetizer and have 2 beef short ribs on the smoker that are almost ready.
34306009306_a172301104_b.jpg

Any recommendations or price points I should be looking at for cutting boards?

They are super expensive, but damn do they hold up amazingly well, I suggest a Boos Board.

My Mom got me one for Christmas a few years ago, it's huge and has that little moat around the outside to collect juices.

Any recommendations or price points I should be looking at for cutting boards?

What kind of use?? I keep a few bamboo boards for quick dinners. Mainly for fruits and vegetables. Then maybe a single serve of meat after cooking. I have a much nicer and larger board I use for meats, mostly for carving. I spent $80 on it at William Sonoma. I only wish it had a larger groove for catching the juices. America's Test Kitchen did an episode on cutting boards. Their one big advice is to stay away from any "specially designed" boards that supposedly add an advantage. Not only did they not help with carving meats, they were also a pain to clean up.

Boos boards have an obvious mark up on their boards, so you have to decide if it's worth the extra cost. For a nice thick, heavy board, you're probably looking at $50-$100 range for something that will last and is worth the cost of maintenance rather than tossing and buying a new one. Just take into account the amount of counter space you have for using and someplace to store it.

What kind of use?? I keep a few bamboo boards for quick dinners. Mainly for fruits and vegetables. Then maybe a single serve of meat after cooking. I have a much nicer and larger board I use for meats, mostly for carving. I spent $80 on it at William Sonoma. I only wish it had a larger groove for catching the juices. America's Test Kitchen did an episode on cutting boards. Their one big advice is to stay away from any "specially designed" boards that supposedly add an advantage. Not only did they not help with carving meats, they were also a pain to clean up.

Boos boards have an obvious mark up on their boards, so you have to decide if it's worth the extra cost. For a nice thick, heavy board, you're probably looking at $50-$100 range for something that will last and is worth the cost of maintenance rather than tossing and buying a new one. Just take into account the amount of counter space you have for using and someplace to store it.

I want a wooden one for vegatables. I found a plastic one I'm getting for meat. There seems to be tons of styles and price points for cutting boards. Definitely don't need top type but want a solid middle range on that will hopefully last if I take care of it.

I want a wooden one for vegatables. I found a plastic one I'm getting for meat. There seems to be tons of styles and price points for cutting boards. Definitely don't need top type but want a solid middle range on that will hopefully last if I take care of it.

Probably $20-$30 range, and usually contains two boards. I use the bamboo ones with a good size handle on it. It makes it easy to lift, hold, and transfer the food to a pot. Hopefully, a more expensive board will have a better glue. My older one, about 5-6 years, is starting to split at the ends. Not to bad for a cheapie from Walmart.

Ohh, and after working in a fast food kitchen, I have found that I hate plastic boards. They get used and abused and they're not repairable.

You could also make you're own board from a solid piece of wood. They say to use a wood that grows food, walnut or maple, or whatever else.

thespot84

Having two boards for meat/not meat is a good idea however don't feel obligated to get a plastic one for meat. Wood handles bacteria just as well if not better than plastic and a good one can easily be disinfected.

zbarron

I don't understand how one of those is functional. They look absolutely amazing, but how do you pick it up and dump everything into the pot?

You don't. I use a bench scraper to collect my chopped ingredients and transfer them. My ideal system is my cutting board, my knife, my bench scraper, and a bowl that I put trash like onion skin into. It keeps everything organized and efficient.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You don't. I use a bench scraper to collect my chopped ingredients and transfer them. My ideal system is my cutting board, my knife, my bench scraper, and a bowl that I put trash like onion skin into. It keeps everything organized and efficient.

*nods*

Top Bottom