• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

Menome

I got paid a little more than I was expecting this month, so I picked up the game today. I've completed the first chapter, and so far I think the art & writing are great, but I'm really not a fan of a lot of the music at all.

That's a pre-existing thing for me though, recently I also found some of the Nier: Automata soundtrack grating. There's just a style that crops up in some Japanese music that doesn't click with me. It's no fault of the creative team here, just down to musical taste.

I'm intrigued to see where things go from here if it's going to be jumping all over the place in terms of time-periods. I'm also guessing that The Maid
is the "witch" that's rumoured to live in the house

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I got paid a little more than I was expecting this month, so I picked up the game today. I've completed the first chapter, and so far I think the art & writing are great, but I'm really not a fan of a lot of the music at all.

That's a pre-existing thing for me though, recently I also found some of the Nier: Automata soundtrack grating. There's just a style that crops up in some Japanese music that doesn't click with me. It's no fault of the creative team here, just down to musical taste.
Are you talking about that children's tune in the garden when you're first introduced to the characters of Door 1? I definitely see how that only appeals to certain tastes. How did you find the main theme? The rest of the soundtrack is more similar to that.

Menome

Are you talking about that children's tune in the garden when you're first introduced to the characters of Door 1? I definitely see how that only appeals to certain tastes. How did you find the main theme? The rest of the soundtrack is more similar to that.

That and one other stood out during that Chapter. Other pieces were more "in the background", but still didn't tickle my fancy.

As I have no idea what the tracks are called, I can't be any more helpful than that, sorry!

Will give Chapter 2 a run-through tomorrow after work. Have unfortunately had to spend most of this evening filling out job applications.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That and one other stood out during that Chapter. Other pieces were more "in the background", but still didn't tickle my fancy.

As I have no idea what the tracks are called, I can't be any more helpful than that, sorry!

Will give Chapter 2 a run-through tomorrow after work. Have unfortunately had to spend most of this evening filling out job applications.

I thought the music in Chapter 1 was alright, but everything after Chapter 1 was amaaaazziiiiinnnggg.

OniBaka

Well I consider Nier automata sound track to be extremely good while this being just a bit behind.

I can only hope the music grows on you.

MilkBeard

I guess it just comes down to taste. I really liked the soundtrack, although it definitely changes gears after chapter 1, so who knows, maybe you will like the later songs.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Played through chapter 1 and 2, and thought it was alright, but at the same time i feel like I'm waiting for the penny to drop? The 2 chapters felt like alright gothic tales with some nice twists, but cliched in a way that made those twists feel expected, especially the 2nd one. However, I'm seeing the framework tying things together and am intrigued to see where it goes.

Played through chapter 1 and 2, and thought it was alright, but at the same time i feel like I'm waiting for the penny to drop? The 2 chapters felt like alright gothic tales with some nice twists, but cliched in a way that made those twists feel expected, especially the 2nd one. However, I'm seeing the framework tying things together and am intrigued to see where it goes.
Go on. The improvement is, dare I say, exponential.

zelhawks37

I just finished the game this morning and there is no doubt that this is easily the best visual novel game I've played IMO.

Oh, and fuck
Aimee. Michel should have cursed her.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I felt very similarly. I mentioned in my impression posts that the actual twist of the stories were pretty predictable. Despite that, the narrative (meta or not), art, and music was strong enough to keep me entertained. I'll just say that I was not disappointed in any way.

OniBaka

Yeah, that really showed how much better Michel was than all of his family. Poor guy. :(
Especially when you have
this enchanting voice constantly nagging you to curse them for 10 years. Besides he ends up with best waifu anyway

Need someone to wipe my memories so I can experience the story again.

Antiwhippy

So, 3rd door.

Please tell me that Jacopo is going to die horribly.

I need him to die horribly.

edit: uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

Going through this door is physically painful man.

Maria better fucking get ganked.

zelhawks37

Especially when you have
this enchanting voice constantly nagging you to curse them for 10 years. Besides he ends up with best waifu anyway

Need someone to wipe my memories so I can experience the story again.

Yeah and constantly reminding him of his lack of male parts. The painting his brother sent certainly didn't help matters. Agreed there on Giselle, but I'm curious if she never came, would Michel have eventually caved in?

Oh Ikr!? It was such an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish. :)

Edit:

So, 3rd door.

Haha you are actually going through the same emotions I did while that whole story was going on. Keep going and have fun. :)

Antiwhippy

I'm just fucking distressed at this nnnnnngh.

I keep clicking forward quickly because fuuuuuuuuuuck,.

I don't think I've ever wanted to throw someone into the sun as much as
maria.

Jimrpg

So, 3rd door.

Maria better fucking get ganked.

You're in for a ride.

Antiwhippy

dRdivfc.gif

3rd door done.

Antiwhippy

I don't know what it says about me but that does sound pretty enticing.

Well I wanted more depressing stories after Nier Automata and I guess I got it?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
OniBaka, you may want to consider moving up your giveaway deadline to save yourself a nice chunk of change. The sale ends on the fifth.

Shizuka

Well shit, guess I should have waited a bit huh.

Ah whatever. More money for the team I guess.

One of the few games from recent history that I payed full price without a care in the world, totally worth it. I got it last year a little after the launch sale ended.

And there are some comments from the devs too

Surprisingly enough, it’s been one year since The House in Fata Morgana launched on Steam and MangaGamer’s website! When it first went on sale we were worried about whether or not everyone would enjoy our work, but it turns out that we didn’t need to be at all. It is thanks to all of you that this title continues to spread. Because of your appreciation and recommendations to friends, the flames of this story burns ever brighter. We hope that everyone will continue to support us in the future, and the overwhelming gratitude we feel will be accurately conveyed to you in our next work. It will be a product related to The House in Fata Morgana, but also a new product for us at Novectacle.

We thank you all for your constant encouragement, from the bottom of our hearts.

Novectacle 縹けいか (Hanada Keika)

Baliis

Finished up Persona 5 and Nier: Automata this weekend and finally getting a chance to dig back into this and wow. I'd left off during the second door when
Pauline arrives to look for the merchant and meets Javi
and damn, I did NOT expect it to go in that direction. Having
that part of Pauline's story set slightly behind the Beast's really threw me off of suspecting it playing out like that.
Moving on to the third door now and this first song is already so good.

Thankfully there's nothing coming out that I want to play in the next few weeks so I should be able to really settle in and finish it now.

Antiwhippy

Y'know, finishing up the 4th door, and while yeah, it's kinda sad, but it didn't really hit me as hard as the third one really, because everything just feels a bit too fanciful, seeing that everything before that was rooted in flaws of humanity rather than a fantastical tragedy...

Oh damn.

Oh DAMN.

I love it when a game and I have the same thoughts.

edit:

dRdivfc.gif
dRdivfc.gif

dRdivfc.gif
dRdivfc.gif

Reached that part of the fifth door.

I'm sure you all know which part.

Top Bottom