• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch to allow for "completely different" Fire Emblem, breathe life into characters

Cerium

http://nintendoeverything.com/switc...eathe-life-into-characters-like-never-before/

Tying in with the launch of Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, French site Jeuxvideo spoke with three of the game's developers. They are as follows:

• Masahiro Higuchi (Intelligent Systems), producer on Fire Emblem Echoes, Heroes and Fates
  • Hitoshi Yamagami (Nintendo), producer on Fire Emblem Echoes, Fates and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  • Kenta Nakanishi (Nintendo), director on Fire Emblem Echoes
One portion of the interview touched on how Fire Emblem never ended up on Wii U, and the series has had a focus on 3DS over the past few years. Yamagami explained that the series has a ”long history of home console games," and it's not primarily considered a handheld franchise. Nakanishi chimed in by saying Fire Emblem Switch will allow for something ”completely different" while ”breathing life into our characters like never before."
Q: Do you see Fire Emblem as a handheld series first and foremost? The latest home console release was Radiant Dawn ten years ago; and though a new Fire Emblem is coming to Nintendo Switch next year, a lot of players had their hopes up for a Wii U installment. Do you think the Wii U wasn't suited for a series like Fire Emblem, or were there other reasons to focus on the 3DS?

Yamagami: The Fire Emblem series has a long history of home console games. While we were developing this title on a handheld console, we felt like we were reaching the apex of our work on Nintendo 3DS. Looking back, we don't believe the series is a handheld one above all else. In the future, we hope to have more opportunities to create home console games.

Nakanishi: As it was said earlier, we're currently working on a Fire Emblem game on Nintendo Switch. With this title designed for home consoles, we should be able to offer a completely different Fire Emblem, breathing life into our characters like never before.

Probably because they'll be able to have 3D models that express emotion instead of a few images for the text parts of the game.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing this means character model detail and animations will be improved on Switch, allowing for the characters to have more life to them? The jaded part of me thinks that this is about having more convincing face-petting mini-games.

I hope FE Switch has proper production values. PoR and RD looked quite bad for their systems, but I thought the 3DS ones looked pretty good for the hardware. Given how Intelligent Systems's Wii U games looked, I hope we can expect great things from their Switch projects.

Interested to see what gameplay style they choose. Are they going to go full anime like Disgaea or more traditional like PoR/RD.

Rymuth

What if, and hear me out on this, what if he means something like The Last Remnant: turn based RPG but it looks like massive battles are happening around you.

ReyVGM

My guess is that with the success of the 3DS Fire Emblem games, Nintendo will give the Switch version a higher budget. The GC and Wii Fire Emblem games looked absolutely horrid, and the 3DS versions look nice, but could have look better.

CEJames

I was always wondering why there was never a release on the Wii U. Despite it being a failure, it still sold millions which would have still gladly bought Fire Emblem. Frankly, I was waiting for a Fire Emblem announcement before I jumped at the Wii U, in the beginning.

It would have been perfect with the 2nd screen capability, just like the 3DS with higher resolution though....

What if, and hear me out on this, what if he means something like The Last Remnant: turn based RPG but it looks like massive battles are happening around you.

Yes. That would fit nicely with the Fire Emblem series.

ggx2ac

My expectation is we're getting the live 2D models (from fire emblem fates) in-game for combat etc not just face petting.

Rodin

Probably because they'll be able to have 3D models that express emotion instead of a few images for the text parts of the game.
This. Also in game models will finally look close to the artworks, hope they keep Kozaki around. That style would translate amazingly well to detailed 3D models (look at Chrom in the FE:W gameplay trailer for example), the artbooks from both Awakening (GS bonus) and Fates (LE) are absolutely great.

I'm hoping that like Echoes all dialogue will be voiced.

It adds a lot when everyone in your army has as a voice during dialogue segments.
I also hope i can select japanese voices.

Persona-style Fire emblem pls

Uh...

Genei_Ibun_Roku_cover_art.jpg

My guess is that with the success of the 3DS Fire Emblem games, Nintendo will give the Switch version a higher budget. The GC and Wii Fire Emblem games looked absolutely horrid, and the 3DS versions look nice, but could have look better.

I do like the Digital Frontier cutscenes in PoR more than the Khara stuff I've seen so far in Echoes, but that's not on IntSys. For battles, I unsurprisingly prefer the snappy 2D animations. Hope the Switch entry can find the best balance for presentation.

Golnei

edit:I also want a fps Fire emblem

I think the first-person battle option in Awakening is still the most bizarre mechanical detail they've added into the series - the somewhat controversial Fates bonding additions at least made sense in terms of allowing additional connections with the characters, and were at least relatively successful with the series' targeted demographic.

ReyVGM

I do like the Digital Frontier cutscenes in PoR more than the Khara stuff I've seen so far in Echoes, but that's not on IntSys. For battles, I unsurprisingly prefer the snappy 2D animations. Hope the Switch entry can find the best balance for presentation.

What I meant was the polygons looked horrid. Everything was drab, low quality textures. You could tell the budget was thin.

ggx2ac

Farewell, petting. You will not be missed.

If they use the live2D models from Fates as the models used for combat etc then it may not be really gone.

We all know it's gotta be leading to this, live2D is probably a good enough program for them to start doing scenes that will no longer just be a lot of dialogue text, we could get full voice acting with the characters animated as they speak.

But who knows, I just think that's where it would likely go seeing as one of the draws people like are the animated cutscenes in every fire emblem game since path of radiance.

chrono01

Switch version to use the portability of the Switch to incorporate "real-world events", so you can bring your chosen waifu on real dates. Simply bring the device to any of the recommended locations, set up the kick-stand and place it directly across from you at the table, and participate in a pleasant conversation as you enjoy your meal.

Nanashrew

Banned
The last console Fire Emblem was 10 years ago with Radiant Dawn. Time really flies. Curious to what the next console Fire Emblem will be like.

petting was cringeworthy so i hope they wont let it return. what i want is dungeon crawling like echoes and character support system with full real time cutscenes. other than that i hope they further refine the combat animations which are great but still lack the flashyness of the gba animations

Passose

Banned
petting was cringeworthy so i hope they wont let it return. what i want is dungeon crawling like echoes and character support system with full real time cutscenes. other than that i hope they further refine the combat animations which are great but still lack the flashyness of the gba animations
I actually like the petting:p

Really excited for this title, i'm hoping with the power of the switch they can be able to create an amazing fire emblem game that surpases the recent handheld ones

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Big Budget console FE - thanks FE Heroes.

Expected though - the jump from 3DS to Switch is MASSIVE.

RM8

I'm scared. I'm fearing the worst. Nintendo, you're getting some nice mainstream appeal with Switch, please consider this before "breathing life" into anything.

MLH

Hasn't the series had more handheld entries than console at this point?
(I count 7 Console vs 8 Handheld) Though I don't really care, Switch blurs the line now anyways.

Although for us in the west, it's certainly had more entries on handhelds, (2 GBA, 1 DS & 3 3DS games vs the 2 console games localized).
I think of it as a handheld game and prefer it that way, the handheld games always felt faster to play (I don't know if they were faster but the GC Wii games did feel clunky to play)

I'm hoping they just continue the style of the 3DS games on Switch - I love how they're made. Don't need crazy detailed animations on the map, keep it simple and fast. Leave that stuff for the battle scenes (I can turn it off when I want to speed things up)

Switch version to use the portability of the Switch to incorporate "real-world events", so you can bring your chosen waifu on real dates. Simply bring the device to any of the recommended locations, set up the kick-stand and place it directly across from you at the table, and participate in a pleasant conversation as you enjoy your meal.
That wouldn't sell. Everyone knows otakus don't go outside.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Probably just mean dialogue portraits are going to animate slightly. If I were a betting man, probably a similar, easy-to-produce presentation style, but using a 3D model in-place of a static portrait. Like the 3DS Phoenix Wright game when they went polygonal.

Top Bottom