• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do they expect people to do if the switch is docked like 30 feet away?

Who sits 30 feet from their tv? Still, even being docked at 8 feet away would mean annoying wires stretched all over the place. I'm not a big voice chat person, but not having a solid option for people who want it is frustrating.

Haunted

Terrible.

Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo
Careful you don't pull a muscle, contorting yourself like that.

Kurt

Yeah i don't see why it's not possible to do it directly using the switch.
But anyway, i only would use this for talking to people who i know.

What would be a lot of a improvement overall , is that they could use the mobile device to see your friends who are online and is playing at that moment without the need of starting up your switch. Much much better for me. Also imaging if you could type message using our phone while your friend is playing on the switch and is able to view those messages from you. It would make it all more connected.

I do fine the smartphone implementation the best add on for internet gaming related to consoles.. If they would make those functionalities possible.

That doesn't mean that it should be optional...

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Then they shouldn't provide voice chat at all, hell they shouldn't even let you play other people online then if they're so worried about that kinda stuff.

Seriously don't try these mental gymnastic to defend a shitty way of handling voice chat.

essenn

There will be meltdowns when they explain voice chat + the rest of their shitty paid online service next week.

This is the most Nintendo decision ever made. They had direct voice chat from the controller on fucking Wii U, now they have the dumbest and clunkyest thing ever made.
Why can't we plug that damn thing in the damn Switch? Why.

tolkir

thisisnintendoqluw4.gif

Jumeira

Banned
use your fucking tv speakers if its 10 feet away because its clearly a fucking tv at that range??

Have you playing online on Xbox before ? Because I don't want my chat with friends coming though the speakers, just the game sound. That's the whole point of a headset. Which is why I said this is unworkable

Protome

Straight up embarrassing.

Oh that's ok, why would I even listen to the game sound on headphones?

So you can balance the audio and hear both better rather than hearing muffled TV audio because you're wearing headphones.

Surely it's pretty easy to understand why it's better to be able to hear both the game and the chat than not.

Hektor

Parental controls are a thing and outsourcing voice chat into a smartphone app (a device most 6 year olds own nowadays) isn't stopping them from being called awful things

Stop with this bs. Kids have been receiving dicks through other media/console why should Nintendo care?

They're just incompetent in incorporating a function as basic as voice chat in their console.

Taker666

I don't use voice chat anyway...so it's a non-issue for me...

...but if I did I'd be screwed IF this is the only method. My house is one big mobile deadzone so I couldn't use it even if I wanted to.

I think a mobile app for voice chat is great... but only if it's an additional option and not the only option.
Hopefully things will be cleared up at E3 in this regard.

madmackem

Wow wow wow well I won't be chatting on my switch then, Xbox chat it is ffs Nintendo what a farce. Why no bt headset or something come on man this is 2017.

tkscz

Hori would not design a headphone like this if the switch did voice chat on the system itself man.

While I don't defend the phone app being used for voice chat, there are bluetooth head sets I can use on my phone if I have to do it that way.

Not sure why HORI didn't make these BT for the phone and wired to the Switch.

wrowa

The voice chat app will still be published by Nintendo, so I really don't see much of a difference. Parents will still get mad at Nintendo all the same if their kids get abused by people using Nintendo's chat app.

Metal B

Why even have an app? With this adapter you could simply make an confernce call and hear the gameaudio at the same time. Anything shown, would be possible right now. Nintendo really wants money for this "feature" ... i don't get, why they make this so complictated ...

Bluetooth headphones and in-game voice-chat. Bame, end of story!

AniHawk

This is the most Nintendo decision ever made. They had direct voice chat from the controller on fucking Wii U, now they have the dumbest and clunkyest thung ever made.
Why can't we plug that damn thing in the damn Switch? Why.

not being able to plug into the switch directly doesn't make much sense, but the phone hookup seems to me to be a way to create internet gameplay on the go. like with a lot of things, this feels geared more towards japan.

Solobbos

That's not the issue. Issue is that voice chat only comes from phone app. Not in system.
I could just put my in ears to my phone to voice chat, and then put my headphones over them like I Die with Splatoon 1. No further purchases necessary and it worked like ä charm.

brawly

Here's an idea:

Parental controls -> disable all voice and text chat -> yes/no

It's honestly quite a novel solution to dealing with two simultaneous audio feeds outputting from two seperate devices.
People thought you'd have to wear two headsets at the same time :lol

Mesoian

No, this is some dumb shit. "Just use discord" would have been a more acceptable response than, "pay us another 30-50 dollars for this shitty set up."

jts

...hate me...
You can even plug the smartphone end to a Dualshock 4 and talk through PSN 😹

The meme possibilities will be strong.

KrawlMan

DAMN YOU NINTENDO!
*Heads phones are a 3rd party peripheral by HORI and not Nintendo*
WHAT WERE YOU THINKING NINTENDO!?

Yes, I'm going to defend Nintendo on something they didn't make.

You don't seem to get what people are upset about. The HORI headset is a solid product to address Nintendos shitty implementation.

Nintendo has been vague about exactly how the mobile app would work with regards to in game sound, and there were plenty of hopefuls. The existence of the HORI product is the first proof we have of how poorly Nintendo has tackled voice chat.

Parental controls are a thing and outsourcing voice chat into a smartphone app (a device most 6 year olds own nowadays) isn't stopping them from being called awful things

LOL I agree with the sentiment here but most six year olds do not own smart phones

Melchior

I'm still dying over seeing this. I really want to see nintendo do an esport event with splatoon 2 and have all the player's phones out next to the tvs. 10 cords hanging off of them for voip.

Dunkley

I mean I'll be just using Discord as always for voice chat but man shame about them even investing in running voice chat servers if this is how you're supposed to access it.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintend

This is a joke, right?

wrowa

What if I want to have my TV muted (which I always do at nighttime) and listen to the audio through headphones? This is such a mess and it's so unnecessary.

Don't be so entitled, you obviously can just wear two headphones at the same time. ;P

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The good news is Switch provides the option for the player to use a landline without the need for a headset. Player choice is what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom