• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Halo 5 - I gave you so many chances

SpacLock

Seriously? What an absurd thing to say towards me. I have been playing Halo since CE religiously...even quite masochistically with how much a challenge I like from it.

This game has so many problems. Your comment seems like another variation of "git gud", when that's entirely uncalled for.

No, not saying "git gud". And you're acting like my comment was an act of torture. It was just speculation from my end. Relax, bud.

Trup1aya

It's crazy.

If I remember correction, they backed away from server selection to preserve the integrity of the the ranking system.

But that doesn't make sense to me because the people who are an ocean away from the data center will be at a massive disadvantage IF they get a game in the first place.

They'd be better off allowing people to choose there region. Sure making Onyx 2 in New Zealand wouldn't require the same skill as Onxy 2 in the states, but that wouldn't matter because these players wouldn't be encountering each other.

Trup1aya

No, not saying "git gud". And you're acting like my comment was an act of torture. It was just speculation from my end. Relax, bud.

Your speculation appears to be based on nonsense. They game has a host of problems. The best players in the game would corroborate the OP.

Akai__

90+ gigs bloated by great forge assets never used properly in Matchmaking. So many great community made maps that aren't implemented. Reach might have relied on too many forge maps, but at least Bungie was actively adding and rotating awesome community made maps.

So much for that.

H5: Forge on PC is 32GB and considering that there are ~15GB worth of audio files (for every single language possible), you could easily have ~20GB game on PC and on Xbox One, if you could uninstall Warzone and Campaign on your Xbox One.

Good news is, that MS showcased at GDC that UWP games have (or will have) the ability of seperate language downloads and seperate package downloads, where you could download, install and uninstall parts of certain games and still play it.

Hopefully it will actually be used, but it's really needed as games are getting bigger and bigger.

Your speculation appears to be based on nonsense. They game has a host of problems. The best players in the game would corroborate the OP.

Thank you. Glad I didn't have to say it.

H5: Forge on PC is 32GB and considering that there are ~15GB worth of audio files (for every single language possible), you could easily have ~20GB game on PC and on Xbox One, if you could uninstall Warzone and Campaign on your Xbox One.

Good news is, that MS showcased at GDC that UWP games have (or will have) the ability of seperate language downloads and seperate package downloads, where you could download, install and uninstall parts of certain games and still play it.

Hopefully it will actually be used, but it's really needed as games are getting bigger and bigger.

Oh wow I didn't know about this! Thanks for sharing...hopefully this gets implemented. I'm constantly running out of space on my stock Xbox One S hard drive...

jelly

Give. Us. The. Option.

From. Day. One.

Halo 3 had search preferences from day one.

Halo Reach had search preferences from day one.

How long was it between 343 being created and there being a search preference added to Halo 5? (Halo 4 had nothing at all) And in the end it was done extremely badly.

"Relatively" was the key word buddy.

Oh wow, haven't seen this before... But it's an accurate representation of the Halo 5 matchmaking experience...

No problems getting onyx in Halo 5... Game plays like shit.

Yeah, options are good. Does Halo 5 being a server based game change that? Old Halo games were P2P. Not defending either side.

I do wonder what Halo 6 will be like. REQs are a success so they will double down on them as any business would so I wouldn't expect to see classic Halo coming back without REQs throughout the whole experience. They are building off Halo 5 naturally but will the attraction of Destiny be a thing they go for now.

After giving Halo 5 nothing but frequent and lengthy chances (and several uninstalls), I think I have to part ways. This game is honestly unhealthy for my mental health lol. The stressful disdain I feel for so many aspects far outweigh the positives (such as gunfeel satisfaction).

The game requires tremendous coordination, dedication, and learned skills. You'd think that's a good thing, but there are just as many (if not more) problems that negate that and frustrate me like no other Halo game has before it.

This! As a long time Halo fan since CE, this is exactly what happened in my case with H5 and this is why today the game is not installed anymore on my Xbox and that I stopped my Gold membership.
To compare I spent around 50 days of playtime in H2, H3 and Reach. H5 is around 10 days instead and mostly it was a frustrating expérience at least from what I remember.

Halo should stick to it's roots, the CE/H2 formula.

SpacLock

Most certainly not in the top percent of the best, but I personally haven't found similar problems as the OP, so just speaking from my perspective :)

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Yeah, I've never experienced all the the network issues you talk about in OP and the rest of the post seems to be complaining you that you arent good at the game. Weapons "obnoxiously balanced"? lmao.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Yeah, I've never experienced all the the network issues you talk about in OP and the rest of the post seems to be complaining you that you arent good at the game. Weapons "obnoxiously balanced"? lmao.

The good old "youre complaining so you must just suck" post...

99.9% of the time from the most thumbless people on whatever forum its posted on.

This again huh? Even pros have pointed out ad nauseam that the game doesn't have the variety of balance that previous Halo's featured. Look at Halo CE. Every gun fit's a niche in the sandbox that plays well off the other. Halo 5 has a plethora of redundant weapons that are all super powerful in similar ways. A lot of weapons aren't distinct anymore and don't really have unique roles. Then they went and buffed a lot of the power weapons to barely take any skill to use, which hardly promotes competetive play. Rail gun is incredibly easy since it's near instantaneous. The rocket launcher has a ton of splash damage. The plasma caster is a "spam into a general direction weapon" to get a kill. Look at the Hydra video I included in the OP--that thing will track you across the continent and back. Previous Halo rocket launcher's at least required timing and more precision. There's a reason why HCS settings now removed all autos as well. My complaints regarding this aren't original and are a generally agreed upon consensus in a lot of communities.

And I'm super glad you don't experience the frequent network problems that I and many others face. I'm jealous. Or maybe I can take your post's route and say: "maybe you're not good enough to notice." ;)

SpacLock

This again huh? Even pros have pointed out ad nauseam that the game doesn't have the variety of balance that previous Halo's featured. Look at Halo CE. Every gun fit's a niche in the sandbox that plays well of the other. Halo 5 has a plethora of redundant weapons that are all super powerful in similar ways. A lot of weapons aren't distinct anymore and don't really have unique roles. Then they went and buffed a lot of the power weapons to barely take any skill to use, which hardly promotes competetive play. Rail gun is incredibly easy since it's near instantaneous. The rocket launcher has a ton of splash damage. The plasma caster is a "spam into a general direction weapon" to get a kill. Look at the Hydra video I included in the OP--that thing will track you across the continent and back. Previous Halo rocket launcher's at least required timing and more precision. There's a reason why HCS settings now removed all autos as well. My complaints regarding this aren't original and are a generally agreed upon consensus in a lot of communities.

And I'm super glad you don't experience the frequent network problems that I and many others face. I'm jealous.

Rocket has too much splash damage? Sounds like you need to control the rocket.

Rail Gun is incredibly easy to use and OP? Maybe you should grab it.

And the hydra tracks you across the map...

You talk about Halo CE (which I'd say is the best MP hands down in the series) being the most balanced. Well, I believe Halo CE is the most skill based of them all. Since Halo 2, it's been a pure weapon grab/team work strategy game, and if you can't handle that (and obviously you can't) then you need to find a game that fits your play style better.

Edit: personal lag issues aside, of course.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Rocket has too much splash damage? Sounds like you need to control the rocket.

Rail Gun is incredibly easy to use and OP? Maybe you should grab it.

And the hydra tracks you across the map...

You talk about Halo CE (which I'd say is the best MP hands down in the series) being the most balanced. Well, I believe Halo CE is the most skill based of them all. Since Halo 2, it's been a pure weapon grab/team work strategy game, and if you can't handle that (and obviously you can't) then you need to find a game that fits your play style better.

And if someone sprints away, just sprint after them. Am I right?

Stop. Just stop...

SpacLock

And if someone sprints away, just sprint after them. Am I right?

Stop. Just stop...

Gee, I don't know... Maybe kill them before they have to sprint away? And don't you have the ability to sprint away from these confrontations too?

Play the damn game for what it is. If you don't like it, there's plenty more that are different and might fit what you're looking for. There's plenty out there that feel Halo 5 is a great MP game. and these players enjoy utilizing these features.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Gee, I don't know... Maybe kill them before they have to sprint away? And don't you have the ability to sprint away from these confrontations too?

Play the damn game for what it is. If you don't like it, there's plenty more that are different and might fit what you're looking for. There's plenty out there that feel Halo 5 is a great MP game.

Hahahaha wow...

As I said, just stop...

arigato

Accessible =/= Easy and vice versa.

Halo 5 is just a bad experience throughout. The games bad population is all the proof that is needed. When a game plays like shit, people stop playing the game.

Heres the current trend in Halo 5. Modded controllers and limetless fire rates.

Want a good spawn? Nah play something else. Hit by a grenade before the spawn animation even finishes...

Or how about spawning infront of 2 enemies because reasons

Want a good connection? Look elsewhere. And how do you think it feels to get killed by a dead players corpse punching you?

But atleast there is gunskill. Oh, wait...

Don't expect your headshots to actually do anything BTWs

And when you're finally sick of the bullshit and you can't do it anymore, wait, nope, you can't even back out of matchmaking...

Not one of those clips is a rare occurrence and if I had any motivation what so ever I would have so much more and even worse shit recorded.

At the end of the day, Halo 5 isn't even a good game let alone a good Halo game.

This is from a player who has little to no trouble getting onyx ffa/solo TS... And no, I'm never going to bother trying to get champ because it's not skill, it's a time based grind.
Agreed, Halo's multiplayer peaked with 2 for me. Was Halo 2's multiplayer online 60 FPS?

Detective

There are thousands of players who complain about the same thing, one of the largest threads on waypoint if not the largest is about server issues.

I think you are just too bad to notice the network issues lmao.

SpacLock

Not much can be said to someone who so clearly lacks even the most basic fundamentals of Halos gameplay.

Got me there!

Anyway, as I've mentioned, I haven't run into these problems. I've played plenty of Halo 5, and I personally enjoy the hell out of the game.

The ignore feature sure is handy.

It's great feature, for sure. But after you ignore everyone who disagrees with you, there's no point in participating in any discussions.

Akai__

Even when I was still actively playing with 3 other friends, we had days where you would get about 20 "Attention!" errors while searching in matchmaking. Not too long ago, about 1 or 2 weeks to be more precise, you also couldn't access your REQ's for the entire weekend and beyond. And that was a problem that affected all of the players, as you had Warzone matches with Pistol/AR starts only for the entirety of the match.

You can't dismiss these issues, because you don't have them. They exist and they have been acknowledged several times by 343i. You don't have to make up excuses for them, when they are already providing excuses and saying that they are in the process of fixing them.

Trup1aya

Yeah, options are good. Does Halo 5 being a server based game change that? Old Halo games were P2P. Not defending either side.

I do wonder what Halo 6 will be like. REQs are a success so they will double down on them as any business would so I wouldn't expect to see classic Halo coming back without REQs throughout the whole experience. They are building off Halo 5 naturally but will the attraction of Destiny be a thing they go for now.

Rather than "doubling down" on REQs, the smart thing to do would be to make the REQ system and the game itself more accessible and enjoyable to more people. This would net them more $ than designing more systems to pressure players to part with their cash.

As to H5 being "server based" I'm impressed at how 343 was able to turn one of the most exciting features announced for H5 into one of the most frustrating. Not only is server quality inconsistent ,but due to a completely lack of P2P code, there's no LAN support and the MP is unplayable for people in areas that are distant from Azure.

I wish they had gone for Dedicated primary, with p2p secondary.... like MCC (minus the months of MM working)

Edit: I can't believe people are arguing that the weapons ARE balanced... when 343s most recent attempt at creating a fair and balanced playlist meant taking most of the sandbox completely out of the playlist. If that's not an admission of balancin issues, I don't know what is.

Just because a weapon can be controlled by a team doesn't mean it's balanced.

I'm actually ok with the H5 rockets and the hydra is rarely an issue ( but it does have issues) But The sword (tier 2) providing a speed boost broke CTF and the rail gun (tier 3) getter switched to hitscan made it child's play. They had to nerf the sniper after a year of it being stupidly easy (still to easy). The shotgun has too much range and the scattershot is inconsistent.

finowns

Unless you're playing at a really high level I don't understand most of the complaints. Like the hydra kill you clipped was cool and in my experience a pretty rare exchange. I just recently started playing again, Halo 5's fine... but not even close to Halo 2, if 343 fixed MCC I'd be playing that!!

I have multiple bad games due to connection woes and then I'll have one good one where my shots register and I destroy the enemy team.

Funnily, the thought sprang into my noggin that my "good games with good hit registration" might actually be the reverse problem for my enemy team.

I messaged other enemy teams asking them their experience and they have stated, "that game was rough. Are you from Europe or something?"

Pretty sobering to feel like nearly almost every major victory could be a case of network problems for the opposing team....

Unless you're playing at a really high level I don't understand most of the complaints. Like the hydra kill you clipped was cool and in my experience a pretty rare exchange. I just recently started playing again, Halo 5's fine... but not even close to Halo 2, if 343 fixed MCC I'd be playing that!!

Hydra BS is a weapon feature lol. I have been chased around corners and into rooms across the map. The splash damage can also kill you through some solid surfaces. It's hard not to rage when these cheesy kills can single handedly lose/win a game.

On the receiving end it feels ludicrously unfair. On the sending end it feels lazy and cheap--unrewarding.

Trup1aya

The game should work well, and be properly balanced regardless of skill level

finowns

I have multiple bad games due to connection woes and then I'll have one good one where my shots register and I destroy the enemy team.

Funnily, the thought sprang into my noggin that my "good games with good hit registration" might actually be the reverse problem for my enemy team.

I messaged other enemy teams asking them their experience and they have stated, "that game was rough. Are you from Europe or something?"

Pretty sobering to feel like nearly almost every major victory could be a case of network problems for the opposing team....

That not my experience. I've been playing a lot this month and sure there's lag.. some games worse than others but nothing unplayable.

The game should work well, and be properly balanced regardless of skill level

And it does.

Vespa

Multiplayer is really fun, I miss the better map design of H2 but I'd take H5 mp over Reach, 4 and 3. But getting a good game? forget about it, not enough servers and, this is an assumption/completely pulled out of my ass, it seems to be limited to providing a decent connection/ping for half the players connected to a match.

Outside of mp the singleplayer is bland, same medium-ish sized rectangular areas and shoe-horned areas that make use of the abilities. The art style is not my cup of tea too, no sir. Please bring back the brutalist style architecture and vintage sci-fi pulp novel cover art direction.

Trup1aya

That not my experience. I've been playing a lot this month and sure there's lag.. some games worse than others but nothing unplayable.

And it does.

Perhaps for you.

I'm not sure why your unwilling to except that this isn't the case for many, despite the evidence posted here and admissions from the developer.

I've lost count of how many games I've played where I didn't have reqs but my enemies did, games where no one has reqs, games where headshots don't register, games where my control scheme changes mid match, games where melees don't register, games where I get randomly booted midmatch or during the loading screens, games where I'm playing Mexicans during peak EST hours. I have to change my sensitivities everytime I play. Sure some lag is to be expected in any online game, but I've never had this much trouble with a game.

Outrun

I enjoyed Halo 5 mp.

If it does not float your boat OP, you are right to move on.

No point torturing yourself over a game.

Vespa

I've experienced this, same exact team, same map.The first match we get destroyed, people killing you in fewer shots than possible, the second match we must have been on a server that favoured us because it felt like God mode was turned on as we won as easy as they did in their first match.

What's this Halo 3 playlist you guys are talking about?

From one of 343's community forgers in the Halo 5 OT. It's also been confirmed by 343 on Twitter.

This Pit was designed from the original concept art, well before the lore insinuated itself into the map. The 343i team convinced the builder to paint it green and yellow.

ih_cyberdyne_center02.jpg

Yes, that is one of the sanctuary remakes we were looking at before the playlist was scaled back to H3 only (also looking at TJ NutterB's version). I made the suggestion to simplify the roof to bring perf back. Also, see above.

finowns

Perhaps for you.

I'm not sure why your unwilling to except that this isn't the case for many, despite the evidence posted here and admissions from the developer.

You could be right I haven't seriously played halo 5 or followed it since the beginning of last year but some complaints are silly.. for example that hydra kill was cool. Are there massive amounts of people unable to play a team slayer game? And you're saying 343 admitted that there game is unplayable for many people, not including me my games are fine (mostly)?

No, it doesn't.

You literally said it yourself...

I said what? Sorry not following

Hydra BS is a weapon feature lol. I have been chased around corners and into rooms across the map. The splash damage can also kill you through some solid surfaces. It's hard not to rage when these cheesy kills can single handedly lose/win a game.

On the receiving end it feels ludicrously unfair. On the sending end it feels lazy and cheap--unrewarding.

Just saw this.

Is the hydra that unbalanced? I run team slayer by myself and usually die when I try to mess with it and usually kill whoever has it. I don't even remember last time I was killed by it honestly

Trup1aya

You could be right I haven't seriously played halo 5 or followed it since the beginning of last year but some complaints are silly.. for example that hydra kill was cool. Are there massive amounts of people unable to play a team slayer game? And you're saying 343 admitted that there game is unplayable for many people, not including me my games are fine (mostly)?

they admitted that the aiming is broken. They are constantly addressing req issues on twitter. They fixed melee issues, only for it to break again after their most recent QOL update. People in Austrailia often can't play the game unless they are playing customs- even if they make a conscious effort to matchmaking at the same time. The same goes for people in South America.

I personally don't have a problem with the hydra save for the rare occurance a when the projectiles break the laws of physics, but the weapons sandbox has serious balancing issues (which is why most weapons were taken out of HCS).

How is a weapon where a player misses his shots entirely, but gets rewarded with a complete recovery of homing rockets from the sky "cool" in a competitive environment aside from being absurdly hilarious? They literally 360 spun back onto my friend after he was punished for missing. My friend was accusing me of betraying him. We had to go into theater to prove I wasn't trolling him.

How is rockets chasing you across the map and killing you despite dodging into rooms and thrusting away a fair weapon?

You might like it, but it's a design that violates Halo 5's so called competitive core. There's numerous design decisions like this that feel very out of place for those that take their Halo seriously. Listening to a lot of competitive players and pros assures me I'm not a lone whiner in this case.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I didn't like Halo 5 mp at all. If it's frustrating you there are so many more mp fps options out there between Battlefront, Counter Strike, CoD, Overwatch and Battlefield.

Hopefully Halo 6 as a whole is much better.

Akai__

And what makes you think that you are qualified enought to say that the game doesn't have issues, if you are actually not playing the game and are arguing with people that play it more often than you? Like lol...

And just to clarify a little further. What the competetive crowd and casual think about "unplayable" are 2 entirely different things. You can't compete with people over the seas if you have 4 times the ping that they do. That, in a competetive environment, is unplayable.

finowns

And what makes you think that you are qualified enought to say that the game doesn't have issues, if you are actually not playing the game and are arguing with people that play it more often than you? Like lol...

And just to clarify a little further. What the competetive crowd and casual think about "unplayable" are 2 entirely different things. You can't compete with people over the seas if you have 4 times the ping that they do. That, in a competetive environment, is unplayable.

I said I've been playing a lot this month and I played really seriously when it was first released. And again I've played many games this month and the vast majority of my games were fine. Also what do you consider a casual? I'm fairly sure I could slap you around in January 2016

Thread complaining = ban

;)

LOL I will return to the H3 playlist because the forgers involved deserve the population to play their maps. Also, I would really like the play some good maps on this game...

Aren't you the one that tells people to stop playing and move on, which you've done yourself? ;)

And you are right...I am an emotional wreck. My wife asked me yesterday, "Why do you keep playing Halo 5 despite it frequently pissing you off?" That's when I knew I had a problem lol.

My wife asks me that, but it's with destiny which can have similar connection issues. I hear you though, five really pisses me off at times too, but not quite as much. I just can't find anything better (and five didn't set a high bar, so that's saying something lol).

I think my biggest issue is the aim. So inconsistent. Most games I play, I develop some level of consistency, but with halo five I'm either landing perfect kills or fighting to just bodyshot. I can never feel like I've mastered that crazy ass aim. I still prefer halo to other games for some reason though.

Fatmanp

Incompetent enough to directly address Halo 4's campaign and balance issues, and fix multiplayer, which was rife with CoD-ish bullshit such as ordnance drops.

Aim isn't broken in my experience and I played the game for a solid half a year after launch. I have friends who are far better players than I'll ever be, friends that have loads of experience going back to Halo 1, and they've never complained about the aiming. So I guess it's not a universal issue?

Sprint and clamber are "divisive" among the vocal minority and just about no one else. It would be insane for 343 to go back to the comparatively slow gameplay of past titles—if if they do hold up rather well.

You do realise that this vocal minority are the people that have stuck around to play Halo 5 just because it is a Halo game right? Most of the people who dislike these mechanics have stopped complaining and simply moved on to other games. Hence Halo 5 is what? The 20th most played game on XBL. That is appalling for a series that has always been number one.

Halo 5 is a decent FPS. Halo 5 is not a good Halo FPS IMO.

finowns

Now I'm in a weird position where I'm defending Halo 5.. I game I don't really like that much. Halo 2 is literally 100x better.

Akai__

You do realise that this vocal minority are the people that have stuck around to play Halo 5 just because it is a Halo game right? Most of the people who dislike these mechanics have stopped complaining and simply moved on to other games. Hence Halo 5 is what? The 20th most played game on XBL. That is appalling for a series that has always been number one.

Halo 5 is a decent FPS. Halo 5 is not a good Halo FPS IMO.

Heresy! Monocle said that the Halo 5 movement is divine. He can't be wrong.

Now I'm in a weird position where I'm defending Halo 5.. I game I don't really like that much. Halo 2 is literally 100x better.

Then stop doing it and acknowledge that there are issues that even 343i themself acknowledged?

I haven't played the game in a while - mostly because of OW and Gears 4. But I remember enjoying the game a lot! I am also exceedingly​ bad at it (bronze lol), so at low-levels I guess I didn't really notice much. Maybe the game had the population a yearish ago to avoid the matchmaking pretty problems. The aiming inconsistencies and shit spawns are definitely a thing I remember even from back then though

Top Bottom