• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Daigoro

I've been playing it a lot over the Easter long weekend and beyond, still trying to collect everything.

If you're going to get into Fez, I suggest getting into it as quickly as possible., because the game is very much like Braid and Limbo in terms of trying to collect everything. Remember the 7 Stars shenanigans in Braid, or the Easter Eggs in Limbo? It's a bit like that, except it's half the game instead.

So you'll probably want to join in on the people going crazy trying to figure this shit out, because it requires you to think extremely outside the box sometimes.

I have had the same issues mentioned in reviews though -- I've had at least 3 crashes in the game while it's been loading, found ways outside the collision on some of the small rooms, and found a repeatable way to crash the game in one of the menus. It kind of sucks that it happens, but the game itself is quite good.

wow. none of that sounds appealing at all...

demo better charm me pretty quick i guess.

Grisby

I have had the same issues mentioned in reviews though -- I've had at least 3 crashes in the game while it's been loading, found ways outside the collision on some of the small rooms, and found a repeatable way to crash the game in one of the menus. It kind of sucks that it happens, but the game itself is quite good.
Damn, I would have hoped for more polish considering how long its been in development.

I don't think I've ever had too many issues with XBLA games now that I think about it. Beyond Good Evil gave me a freeze on a certain section and I had to come back at a later time. Castle Crashers save deal was fixed by the time I bought it.

Feep

Banned
I've been playing it a lot over the Easter long weekend and beyond, still trying to collect everything.

If you're going to get into Fez, I suggest getting into it as quickly as possible., because the game is very much like Braid and Limbo in terms of trying to collect everything. Remember the 7 Stars shenanigans in Braid, or the Easter Eggs in Limbo? It's a bit like that, except it's half the game instead.

So you'll probably want to join in on the people going crazy trying to figure this shit out, because it requires you to think extremely outside the box sometimes.

Based on my and Rlan's positions on the leaderboards (I'm tied for fifth in the world, he's tenth), our reviews should be definitive, as far as I'm concerned. We can see other reviewer's positions...Jim Sterling only hit 103.9%. = D

Based on my and Rlan's positions on the leaderboards (I'm tied for fifth in the world, he's tenth), our reviews should be definitive, as far as I'm concerned. We can see other reviewer's positions...Jim Sterling only hit 103.9%. = D
...103.9% out of what? o0

Zia

Hey, a review that matters:

Edge

Draw lines between distant landmarks; forge connections that reveal the logic of a set piece; untangle the story in short, gleeful bursts. The route you pick through Polytron’s floating world is nearly impossible to verbalise, while its puzzles resolve themselves in your mind unexpectedly, in clear, wordless chunks. There’s really no language to cover many of the things you get up to in Fez. For a videogame in 2012, that may be the ultimate endorsement. [9]

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Review is the disgusting over-written fare with an agenda Edge has sadly been known for a while. Painful to read. Really wish they'd start tacking names to reviews.
There’s really no language to cover many of the things you get up to in Fez. For a videogame in 2012, that may be the ultimate endorsement.
Rolling eye emoticons never big enough.

Good to know theres a little meat on the games bones beyond super basic platforming though.

Beaulieu

Dammit. I was hoping to perfect this game on my own, but some final puzzles still stump me. To any of you advance folk, let me know if you have any information on the following postgame content:
The black monolith
A complete number dictionary, specifically as it relates to the starting village boiler room (I theoretically have 0-7 and 10)
"What's my name?"
The observatory constellations
The two sequences on the walls of throne rooms

Man I am late to this message but I PMed you about the 2 things I know.

Dabanton

Review is the disgusting over-written fare with an agenda Edge has sadly been known for a while. Painful to read. Really wish they'd start tacking names to reviews.

Rolling eye emoticons never big enough.

Good to know theres a little meat on the games bones beyond super basic platforming though.

You had a bug up your ass in this thread. Why does this game get you so riled up?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Thanks for the title change, it should be implied anyways especially since it was old, misquoted shit anyways, or the usual straight-up port begging.

Anyways, I don't need a review from someone else for a game I know I want. The only things I need to know is if the game will break my Xbox or something. I know what I like, I never needed anyone to tell me what to buy.

I have been reading up about the technical issues with the game which are unfortunate, luckily there hasn't been anything game-breaking, and I haven't bought a game in this genre since Braid, so I'm going all-in on this one. Been waiting for ages, and it's finally almost here.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You had a bug up your ass in this thread. Why does this game get you so riled up?

that lies more with how bile inducing I find EDGE to be these days than Fez. I looked forward to Fez from the outset so will be picking it up Friday despite finding its creator arrogantly disconnected from reality. Hopefully these puzzles are clever stuff rather than just obtuse so the game has something to offer beyond a somewhat tired retro indie pixel parade. I enjoy being surprised.

Zia

Andy Schatz (developer of Monaco) via Twitter:

Fez is the culmination of indie games of the past decade. It's like the T at the end of the path, where do we go from here? @Polytron

Grisby

Hell yeah! Bought.

Giant Bomb and Edge are the reviews I look for.
I wonder if Brad is reviewing it. He seemed to be the one most salivating over the game. He tends to mention technical difficulties in his reviews which is good.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I actually haven't thought about this comparison. I believe Fez lets you twist the perspective at will whereas the perspective changes in Sideway were bound by the world itself and your movement within it. Obviously very different art styles as well. I get the impression Fez isn't quite as active in terms of jumping on enemies heads/sliding into them and what have you relying more on exploration due to your ability to shift the perspective.
You are completely right, now that I think about it. There was no manual control over the world turning in that game, it was automated, so I can see how it will open up the possibility for a more puzzle based approach here.

So is more a platform in the classic sense or open world like Metroidvania?

Every site seems to be split on how they're describing the game, getting me confused.

Magnalon

Neo Member
103% completion does not indicate any lack of content exploration. He could have technically explored all of the hardest puzzles, and ignored the easier yellow cube collection areas.

At this point it's entirely speculation. You only need 32 cubes to beat the game -- whether they were yellow or blue is irrelevant. You essentially need to explore most of the game to obtain said cubes anyway.

ghibli99

This game looks amazing... one of those games that shows me what I was waiting for without me even knowing it. Can't wait to play it!

Zia

Feel good comment, but utterly meaningless.

Not at all. To me, and many others in the community, it feels like the end of the Second Wave of mainstream independents that emerged in 2008. It's very gratifying and simultaneously freeing, and I'm sure those that've been living in the shadow of these massive games for the last three or four Independent Game Festivals would agree.

Feep

Banned
103% completion does not indicate any lack of content exploration. He could have technically explored all of the hardest puzzles, and ignored the easier yellow cube collection areas.

At this point it's entirely speculation. You only need 32 cubes to beat the game -- whether they were yellow or blue is irrelevant. You essentially need to explore most of the game to obtain said cubes anyway.
With all due respect, most of the anticubes are orders of magnitude more difficult than yellow cubes. The harder puzzles aren't just harder; they're nearly a completely different game. I have
anticubes and the sheets of scrap paper around me are overwhelming. You would have to deliberately ignore yellow cube bits while solving puzzles that 95%+ of gamers aren't even going to fucking bother with.

DaBuddaDa

Not at all. To me, and many others in the community, it feels like the end of the Second Wave of mainstream independents that emerged in 2008. It's very gratifying and simultaneously freeing, and I'm sure those that've been living in the shadow of these massive games for the last three or four Independent Game Festivals would agree.

What you're saying makes sense, but I don't see any correlation between your explanation and the twitter quote still.

I feel like I've been waiting for this game forever, so much so that I forgot that it was coming out so soon. I finally have use for that 1600pt card I bought at Christmas.

Magnalon

Neo Member
With all due respect, most of the anticubes are orders of magnitude more difficult than yellow cubes. The harder puzzles aren't just harder; they're nearly a completely different game. I have
anticubes and the sheets of scrap paper around me are overwhelming. You would have to deliberately ignore yellow cube bits while solving puzzles that 95%+ of gamers aren't even going to fucking bother with.

Yea I'm familiar with the anticube puzzles, having played the game. However, I'm just saying that a flat percentage doesn't indicate automatically that he obtained no anticubes. He even notes in the review that the anticube (? area) puzzles are utterly different from the yellow cube part of the game.

Personally, I think it's basically two games in one. You can choose to play the game primarily as a puzzle title [blue], or primarily as a platformer [yellow]. I don't think anyone is "wrong" for playing it either way, as long as you *mention* it is possible to do this (as he did). /respectful rant :D

Feep

Banned
Yea I'm familiar with the anticube puzzles, having played the game. However, I'm just saying that a flat percentage doesn't indicate automatically that he obtained no anticubes. He even notes in the review that the anticube (? area) puzzles are utterly different from the yellow cube part of the game.

Personally, I think it's basically two games in one. You can choose to play the game primarily as a puzzle title [blue], or primarily as a platformer [yellow]. I don't think anyone is "wrong" for playing it either way, as long as you *mention* it is possible to do this (as he did). /respectful rant :D
You actually have to grab a few anticubes to beat the game, as several cube bits aren't obtainable without doing anticube stuff anyway.

I agree with you, though. I'll be able to go into a lot more detail in my review on Friday. But I feel confident in saying that I'll be able to better speak on the other half of the game.

Zia

What you're saying makes sense, but I don't see any correlation between your explanation and the twitter quote still.

I took it to mean the culmination of a movement, rather that some substantive ideal made of imaginary building blocks. Regardless, Andy Schatz is incredibly intelligent and articulate, I'm sure he knew what he was going for when typing up that comment. : )

DaBuddaDa

I took it to mean the culmination of a movement, rather that some substantive ideal made of imaginary building blocks. Regardless, Andy Schatz is incredibly intelligent and articulate, I'm sure he knew what he was going for when typing up that comment. : )

That's what I'm confused by: "a movement." There have always been indie games, long before these recent guys, and it wasn't so much a movement as it was a group of people that happened to be in the right place at the right time to ride the rise of Steam, XBLA and iOS platforms which allowed them to get in front of more people. I find it a bit full of itself. There is nothing inherently groundbreaking about the actual games we're talking about here, just the circumstances around them due in part to good fortune.

Vire

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-11%20at%202.19.00%20PM.png

:/

Magnalon

Neo Member
Too difficult? It's hard to know what he's referring to?

Jeff is notoriously bad at games, despite the fact that he's very learned when it comes to the history of them.

As someone who also played it, I sort of understand what he's talking about, but not really.

The game clearly tells you that you need 32 cubes to beat the game, so there's no "guessing" involved. Once you approach a high amount of cubes, and have saturated the easy ones, you just need to sit down and actually *figure* things out every so often because it is part puzzle game -- my guess is he's just realizing that it's not entirely a platformer, having mostly gotten yellow cubes.

Beating the game is not hard (which is what Jeff is talking about - "the end"). Getting all 64 cubes is utterly challenging.

Beaulieu

Jeff is notoriously bad at games, despite the fact that he's very learned when it comes to the history of them.

As someone who also played it, I sort of understand what he's talking about, but not really.

The game clearly tells you that you need 32 cubes to beat the game, so there's no "guessing" involved. Once you approach a high amount of cubes, and have saturated the easy ones, you just need to sit down and actually *figure* things out every so often because it is part puzzle game -- my guess is he's just realizing that it's not entirely a platformer, having mostly gotten yellow cubes.

Beating the game is not hard. Getting all 64 cubes is utterly challenging.

It's weird to get to a brick wall before the end of the game.... the "normal" walkthrough is pretty easy, and if you are stuck somehwere there are so many other places to explire...

Karish

Played it last night for an hour. Really enjoy it. Very similar feeling to Braid even though the mechanics are completely different.

Magnalon

Neo Member
if you are stuck somehwere there are so many other places to explire...

To be fair, there are a few areas that are really inconspicuous, but then open up to GIANT new areas.

But if you simply play the game and have a basic understanding of how puzzles work, you will have no issue completing the game when it comes to the bare minimum requirements. Basically he just wants instant gratification without having to work for it :D

Magnalon

Neo Member
Played it last night for an hour. Really enjoy it. Very similar feeling to Braid even though the mechanics are completely different.

Personally, I think it's streets ahead of Braid. With Braid, you followed a linear set of stages, and were required to do everything Jonathan Blow wanted you to do. I had similar moments with both games where I had that "puzzle grin" on my face, when I realized how to do a certain task.

But IMO, Fez far exceeds Braid in the sense that you can pretty much play the game the way you want to play it. If you don't want to be in a certain area, you don't have to be -- you can go explore a new area, or just do a bunch of puzzles. Conversely, you basically don't have to do any complex puzzles to beat the game. To me, that's the biggest improvement.

Will this be up @ midnight Thursday night?

I want to see Cabin In The Woods at midnight and then get home and play this the rest of the night.

IIRC Xbox Live updates around 5-6AM EST for content deployment every week.

ghibli99

Don't want to derail too much here, but how bad? I mean, I hope he doesn't just suck, but on the flipside, I sometimes have a very hard time relating to reviewers who are just gifted at games and don't find anything difficult.

Top Bottom