• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Coda

I still find it really difficult to do combos in this game consistently. Just feels really hard to do them outside of training mode.

qcf x2

I double dipped because I lack patience. Mian is so cool. Zarina is way better in-game than she looked in the reveal, they really did a heck of a job with her. Just messing around in training mode for now but I love how unique the characters manage to be despite the roster size. There's no evil Terry, Terry with a diff name, etc.

Loona

Who else died though? I can only remember Ash, Rugal, and the Orochi crew.

Specific to KoF:

Heidern's wife and daughter from before the Leona adoption - apparently killed by Rugal
Rugal
Leona's parents (the father, Gaidel, has orochi ancestry)
Mature & Vice
Maki Kagura - Chizuru's sister, killed by Goenitz; considering the Vice & Mature situation, it may be worth noting that Chizuru listen to her dead sister speak to her in the women's team ending of KoF97
Goenitz
Yashiro, Shermie & Chris
K's sister whom Whip is supposed to be a clone of?
The guy that built Maxima's cyborg body?
(original?) Krizalid - there's that other one with Original Zero in 2001, but clones... damn NESTS was weird...
Vanessa's husband
didn't Ron from the Hizoku had some people in that clan killed or something?...
Zero (clone and original), likely
Igniz?
Mukai - by Saiki's hands
Magaki - by Shion's spear
Saiki - disembodied
Other series represented in KoF:

Jeff Bogard - foster parent to Terry and Andy, apprentice to Tung, killed by Geese
Ronnet Sakazaki - wife to Takuma, mother to Ryo and Yuri
Marie Heilein - wife to Geese and mother to Rock (now this would be an odd way to give closure to Rock's Garou ending...)
Butch - Mary's former boyfriend
Suo Tatsumi - Mary's grandfather, teacher and murder victim to Geese

I am thinking about running:
Geese
Mai
Kukri

I am not entirely sure on which order to run them in, though. I'm also not really sure what Geese's gameplan is. This is my first KoF game. :)

How do you unlock the two hidden characters?

Moofers

I got home from work and found the Burn to Fight Premium Edition waiting for me at my door. I was so excited I ripped the soundtrack and took it out on my run. What a great way to get hyped for the game! Now I'm cooking dinner and reading people's impressions and getting ready to play shortly. I love days like this!

Relique

I am thinking about running:
Geese
Mai
Kukri

I am not entirely sure on which order to run them in, though. I'm also not really sure what Geese's gameplan is. This is my first KoF game. :)

How do you unlock the two hidden characters?

Complete story mode once to unlock the characters.

All three of your choices are fairly flexible. All three can rush down and play a defensive game well. However, I think that Geese benefits the most out of being a late character because his counter super is so good and if he has enough meter to climax cancel out of it he can nearly kill a character.

Personally I like Mai later because she is my most practiced character and I find her BC cancel fairly easy. If this was my team I'd go Kukri first, Geese second and Mai last. As a new player I recommend not worrying much about the order and change the order often to make sure you are getting equal practice with all your characters. It happens often that the third character doesn't see play even between opponents that are evenly matched.

Welp, tried to play one of the main people I play with in every fighter and it was terrible. Connection was from Western New York to Boston, and was a 3 bar, and it was the worst kind of lag. Like a bad vanilla Marvel 3 connection but with a sideshow effect of skipping frames. I don't have amazing Internet by any means but I get good connections most of the time in other fighters so I don't think I'm exclusively the problem here. Super disappointing though and I hope they fix up the netcode soon.

sephi22

This netcode is fucking GARBAGE.

This dude - https://www.twitch.tv/frionel26 - is playing a dude from Belgium from Morocco and says the netcode's good but there's a glitch where you get a garbage match against players but if you keep retrying eventually it'll be a smooth connection which will last for the entire session. Dunno if BS. UPS says it delivered my copy at the front door/porch but it isn't there and I'm fucking mad

Hyun Sai

This dude - https://www.twitch.tv/frionel26 - is playing a dude from Belgium from Morocco and says the netcode's good but there's a glitch where you get a garbage match against players but if you keep retrying eventually it'll be a smooth connection which will last for the entire session. Dunno if BS. UPS says it delivered my copy at the front door/porch but it isn't there and I'm fucking mad

Well, it's not BS as we could witness it. Things they were doing would be impossible with delay.

And Frionel is legit. He is a Top europe KoF player, and was playing against another Top Player, Kenpachi.

Gren

I'm watching his stream right now. So they just have to put up with some bad matches & it'll clear up? Obviously that's terrible, but seems like something fixable if that's the case?

EDIT: After a really laggy match, this next one is smooth like he predicted. I wonder how he can tell.

Specific to KoF:

Heidern's wife and daughter from before the Leona adoption - apparently killed by Rugal
Rugal
Leona's parents (the father, Gaidel, has orochi ancestry)
Mature & Vice
Maki Kagura - Chizuru's sister, killed by Goenitz; considering the Vice & Mature situation, it may be worth noting that Chizuru listen to her dead sister speak to her in the women's team ending of KoF97
Goenitz
Yashiro, Shermie & Chris
K's sister whom Whip is supposed to be a clone of?
The guy that built Maxima's cyborg body?
(original?) Krizalid - there's that other one with Original Zero in 2001, but clones... damn NESTS was weird...
Vanessa's husband
didn't Ron from the Hizoku had some people in that clan killed or something?...
Zero (clone and original), likely
Igniz?
Mukai - by Saiki's hands
Magaki - by Shion's spear
Saiki - disembodied
Other series represented in KoF:

Jeff Bogard - foster parent to Terry and Andy, apprentice to Tung, killed by Geese
Ronnet Sakazaki - wife to Takuma, mother to Ryo and Yuri
Marie Heilein - wife to Geese and mother to Rock (now this would be an odd way to give closure to Rock's Garou ending...)
Butch - Mary's former boyfriend
Suo Tatsumi - Mary's grandfather, teacher and murder victim to Geese

Hot damn that might be the highest kill count not including mk. Good way to retcon stuff I guess.

...I want to buy but, this and a few other impressions scare me greatly.

The game itself plays amazing but the netcode brings me back to pre-SF4 levels. I would've been satisfied with KOF XIII PC level netcode and this isn't even half of that, because at least I could tell when a connection would be bad.

Hyun Sai

I'm watching his stream right now. So they just have to put up with some bad matches & it'll clear up? Obviously that's terrible, but seems like something fixable if that's the case?

EDIT: After a really laggy match, this next one is smooth like he predicted. I wonder how he can tell.

If he is playing against Kenpachi, if it says 4 bars, it will lag. If it shows 3 bars, it's flawless.

Doesn't make sense, so it's more like a glitch.

So is this any good?

I was thinking of getting it but I'm an offline fighting game guy from way back who sucks at fighting games. I've played previous KOF games but damned if I know what Im doing. I need more content than SFV.

Pompadour

So is this any good?

I was thinking of getting it but I'm an offline fighting game guy from way back who sucks at fighting games. I've played previous KOF games but damned if I know what Im doing. I need more content than SFV.

It has an arcade mode and Vs. CPU. Mostly the same feature set as SFV aside from that.

Edit: Oh and a Time Trial mode.

So what's the verdict guy? Better than sfv or nah? mostly interested in the mechanics and netcode. Not a bait post either. Haven't payed much attention to this one. Not sure if I want to drop 60 dollars.

So what's the verdict guy? Better than sfv or nah? mostly interested in the mechanics and netcode. Not a bait post either. Haven't payed much attention to this one. Not sure if I want to drop 60 dollars.

Gameplay yes, but online is below average compare to SF V... I just don't know how Capcom step up their game while SNK still stuck in the pass when it comes to online play. I wish they let Arc System work on their online mode.

Unfortunately I can never say no to KOF regardless of how bad the netcode is. Just hope they try to fix it.

qcf x2

So is this any good?

Yeah, check the OP. 50 characters, story mode, gallery, trials. It's tons of fun.

The netcode is indeed bad, but if it's possible to predict which matches will be bad then that is a really encouraging sign that it's fixable.

Gameplay yes, but online is below average compare to SF V...
Well for me since I play on wired connection I barely get laggy matches on sfv. Only time i get super laggy matches in sfv is when I play with people from Canada or outside USA. Is the netcode really bad for this game? Worse than kof 13? I recall 13 having really bad netcode.

Mechanics are all personal preference. I'm more of a Capcom/ASW guy myself so I prefer the gameplay to those over this.

Netcode is bad. As in, you can play with someone within driving distance and still have delay bad.

Mechanics are all personal preference. I'm more of a Capcom/ASW guy myself so I prefer the gameplay to those over this.

Netcode is bad. As in, you can play with someone within driving distance and still have delay bad.
Can't be as bad as kof 13 ? Or atleast not as bad as 12? 12 was unplayable.

I want to pick this up but if the online is bad that kind of defeats the purpose for me

When folks are saying its bad is it more "noticeably not like local play" or "legit unplayable"?

(legit unplayable meaning total stuttering bullshit with inputs not registering)

I have to ask because of hyperbole (though I trust it's actually just bad)

Yeah, the online is super weird right now. I've had 2 good matches out of a lot. And when I say "good", I mean really good. Like very slight input lag. The rest have been slightly average and underwater. Connection bars aren't representative of match quality at all.

The block stun in this game is so fucking weird with some characters .
I have the computer rolling pass stuff i know they could not do in any other KOF .
Have to adjust with some of my characters .

Same thing happened with me and a friend. It's weird.

The trials are a lot easier than 13, but still challenging. Vice's trial 5 with them double HCF supers was on some other shit.

The block stun in this game is so fucking weird with some characters .
I have the computer rolling pass stuff i know they could not do in any other KOF .
Have to adjust with some of my characters .
Probably they changed up the frame data from previous games. Is there a frame table out for this game?

Top Bottom