• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Trading Cards : get trading cards and turn it into stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last but one drop from all games across my library and I score an Alyx Foil. Happy, but tinged with sadness... because there's no way I'm buying my way into a full HL2 Foil set at current prices, and I don't have any drops left :(

Hasney

Last but one drop from all games across my library and I score an Alyx Foil. Happy, but tinged with sadness... because there's no way I'm buying my way into a full HL2 Foil set at current prices, and I don't have any drops left :(

But once more games slowly roll out, you can get more foils and trade them for the set you want.

kubus

Y... you don't own Half-Life 2?

And you have a Steam account?

How? I didn't know that was actually possible.
Haha no I have Portal 2 and Half-Life 2 (even have an extra copy sitting in my inventory), don't worry :p. I just wanted more sets but didn't own CS:GO and Don't Starve, and didn't want to buy microtransactions for DOTA2 and TF2. So I was happy to learn that there were new cards that I actually could get!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
deadlightuhu0p.png

Thanks to 7extonly for the heads up. Not showing in my badges yet but I'm guessing they'll be up soon.

Qvoth

Supposedly if you didn't buy anything prior to the cards, you get nothing. You have to buy $9 worth of items to get 1 card drop.

can anybody confirm this?
if true then my $5 steam wallet is useless lol, i was thinking of buying some useless items for dota 2 to get the cards

Qvoth

no i actually was asking about the $9 part
i know that you need to buy something on dota 2 1st to start getting card drops, but i thought that was any amount, not $9

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
i know that you need to buy something on dota 2 1st to start getting card drops, but i thought that was any amount, not $9

Nope. I bought something from Dota 2 for the first time after trading cards became active and it didn't give me any drops. $9 is probably accurate. Might be different if you bought something before trading cards came about (like it is with TF2).

Oh, I see. This should explain it (from the trading cards community FAQ):

What about free to play games like Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2?

Free to play games drop game cards based on your in-game purchasing. For every $9 USD spent (approximate) since the start of the Steam Trading Card Beta, you will earn one card drop. This card will drop at some point as you play. If you have made in-game purchases in Dota 2 or Team Fortress 2 prior to the Steam Trading Card Beta, or if you owned Team Fortress 2 prior to the Free to Play update, you will have 4 or 5 additional card drops available.

Faerie Solitaire is getting trading cards.

AND JUST WHEN I FINISHED MY PORTAL 2 BADGE GOD WHY?

I think I've gifted twenty copies of the game to my friend list, so now I gotta play tax collector.

Hasney

I hope they do more slightly smaller games that I own like Deadlight. It'll encourage me to go through my backlog in some kind of order.

ArjanN

Shadow Warrior Classic Redux was updated in the registy today, so I'm sure they'll still put out a Duke 3D Megaton type version of classic Shadow Warrior.

Prezhulio

saw the dyad and proteus guys on twitter talking about steam trading cards...must be sending mass emails to developers to use them if they like. they seemed to take it like they would "ruin" their game upon incorportation, but maybe they just didn't understand it's totally external to what you are "doing" in the game?

seems like a no brainer to me for devs - another potential reason for people to buy/try out your game that wouldn't have otherwise

Nabs

Ed McMillen needs a BibleThump / Isaac emot for Steam.
biblethump.png

saw the dyad and proteus guys on twitter talking about steam trading cards...must be sending mass emails to developers to use them if they like. they seemed to take it like they would "ruin" their game upon incorportation, but maybe they just didn't understand it's totally external to what you are "doing" in the game?

seems like a no brainer to me for devs - another potential reason for people to buy/try out your game that wouldn't have otherwise

Yeah, it looks like they don't really understand the system. A lot of devs are kind of confused by it.

Have:

2x Bounty Hunter
3x Phantom Lancer
2x Riki

Want:

____________Dota2
Tiny
Venge Tusk

____________TF2
Demo
Engi
Scout
Pyro
Sniper
Soldier

hit me up if you can help!

Qvoth

Oh, I see. This should explain it (from the trading cards community FAQ):

What about free to play games like Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2?

Free to play games drop game cards based on your in-game purchasing. For every $9 USD spent (approximate) since the start of the Steam Trading Card Beta, you will earn one card drop. This card will drop at some point as you play. If you have made in-game purchases in Dota 2 or Team Fortress 2 prior to the Steam Trading Card Beta, or if you owned Team Fortress 2 prior to the Free to Play update, you will have 4 or 5 additional card drops available.

holy shit $9 PER CARD?
that's more expensive than lots of games on steam, jesus that's so friggin stupid
@awesomenauts coming to steam trading, nice i just got the game from a giveaway, wasn't that much fun imo but i'll farm the cards

edit: after checking out steam market, seems like it's easier just to buy the cards from the market? i mean most of them costs less than a dollar
if i buy a set of cards from steam market, can i still craft them?

holy shit $9 PER CARD?
that's more expensive than lots of games on steam, jesus that's so friggin stupid
@awesomenauts coming to steam trading, nice i just got the game from a giveaway, wasn't that much fun imo but i'll farm the cards

edit: after checking out steam market, seems like it's easier just to buy the cards from the market? i mean most of them costs less than a dollar
It's not like you're buying the card. It's just a thing they give you.

zulux21

holy shit $9 PER CARD?

if i buy a set of cards from steam market, can i still craft them?

yeah if you just buy the cards you can craft them... I bought up 3 sets of TF cards (welling my cards to fund it) so I could get to level 10 and have a chance of getting foil cards in the future.

I have made 12bucks for far. I don't plan on ever spending money to complete sets, so free money is cool i guess.

that was my plan, then I saw the prices on the foil cards and decided to invest $10 into TF2 cards to have a chance to get foils... so I can just sell the cards in the future and maybe get a foil for a nice little payday.

zulux21

What are you selling?
Just the cards? Do u buy them 1st and then resell them or what?

borderlands cards will net you around $1 per card
portal around 75 cents per card
half life around 80 cents per card
TF2 around 30 cents per card
ect. (for the prices they are going for to buy add around 10 cents plus 5% of the value I listed)

if you own most of the games that have cards and get the cards you can easily get $10 plus in credit.

MormaPope

Banned
Made about $4 off of Half Life 2/Team Fortress 2 cards, bought both Alan Wake games for $4.

One thing I hate is that cards can stack, I had 5 drops for TF2 and got 3 sniper cards, along with 2 spy cards. I also would rather have a secondary option of selling a badge or full set instead of getting a background for my profile.

Really neat system in place, needs a bit of tweaking.

I also saw someone with Spiral Knights cards, but there's no badge to be made or even a full set to be made. Guess they're working on some trading card support as they go.

MormaPope

Banned
borderlands cards will net you around $1 per card
portal around 75 cents per card
half life around 80 cents per card
TF2 around 30 cents per card
ect. (for the prices they are going for to buy add around 10 cents plus 5% of the value I listed)

if you own most of the games that have cards and get the cards you can easily get $10 plus in credit.

This is the best aspect of it, the market and value of these cards reminds me of a stock market. Potentially invest in cards that aren't initially rare and sell them with a good profit margin.

Right now the lowest price for the Alyx Vance cards is $1.05, use to be around 89 cents earlier today.

If you get lucky and get a foil. Those sell pretty well. Of course there are those that priced them ridiculously high. He only set it at roughly 7x the price that it should be. LOL, crazy. I don't think that guy is ever planning to sell that foil card.

zulux21

If you get lucky and get a foil. Those sell pretty well. Of course there are those that priced them ridiculously high. He only set it at roughly 7x the price that it should be. LOL, crazy. I don't think that guy is ever planning to sell that foil card.

the foils in general are going for like $15-$30 which is why I felt it was worth the minimal effort it took to get to level 10, unless there is some other decent incentive to go up in level I likely will just rot at level 10 until the steam sales/ years of service bump me up later this year lol

Card Boy

Banned
What are you selling?
Just the cards? Do u buy them 1st and then resell them or what?

Each game has a guaranteed amount of card drops you can get (unless its F2P), if you want the full set you either have to trade for them or buy them on the marketplace. Since i dont want them or care about them i just sell them.

Getting games trumps meaningless cards. It means i can use that money to get more games that might have more cards and the process can repeat itself.

If this was a real TCG like Magic or Triple Triad then yeah i would actually collect the stuff.

zulux21

Each game has a guaranteed amount of card drops you can get (unless its F2P), if you want the full set you either have to trade for them or buy them on the marketplace. Since i dont want them or care about them i just sell them.

Getting games trumps meaningless cards. It means i can use that money to get more games that might have more cards and the process can repeat itself.

If this was a real TCG like Magic or Triple Triad then yeah i would actually collect the stuff.

reading through the FAQ they do mention that they are throwing around the idea of turning it into a game somehow. I imagine that is a while away though.

Card Boy

Banned
Also the reason why im selling now is once the Trading Cards goes out of beta the price of all cards will drop dramatically. I can rebuy everything again at 5cents if i want to.

Qvoth

hmm i already spent my tf2 and hl2 cards to craft the a full set of tf2 cards, got a sticky emoticon and heavy background
reached level 10 after this craft
haven't decided if i want to craft the bl2 cards or sell them (already got the 3 drops)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Dam, those are worth 45bucks at the moment. Sell now ASAP, you can always rebuy for cheaper when it goes out of beta.

They could always make these series 1 cards only for the beta period, which would make their prices skyrocket in the future.

Acorn

I feel like by the time I hit level 10 the foil price will have dramatically dropped making the whole process of getting there a money sink.

I'm onto you Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom