• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Trading Cards : get trading cards and turn it into stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, so how do foils work? I thought foils were just uber rare and anyone can get them, but people here are posting as if it's related to Steam level somehow? Do you need Steam level 10 to get foils? Is steam level actually useful for anything other than e-peen?

Exuro

Wait, so how do foils work? I thought foils were just uber rare and anyone can get them, but people here are posting as if it's related to Steam level somehow? Do you need Steam level 10 to get foils? Is steam level actually useful for anything other than e-peen?
You have to be level 10 for foils to drop. Every 10 steam levels you unlock a new showcase for your profile.

Spwn

Yes.

And I guess foil badges give you more XP, but you have to get a full set of foil cards so that's pretty insane.

And no, it's not really useful for anything but e-penis (at last not yet), but that's just like my rl-penis atm, so I kinda like it.

zulux21

yeah when I got most of my cards I thought I had a chance of getting the foils, then i read the FAQ and found out you had to be level 10... I figure there will be plenty of games added over the next month that I own though so now that I am level 10 hopefully I can get a foil sometime.

You have to be level 10 for foils to drop. Every 10 steam levels you unlock a new showcase for your profile.

But if I've unlocked all the cards already with a lower than level 10 profile, is there any chance of more dropping once I get to level 10? Is there a new cap for foils?

And how do you increase your level other than buying cards and using them to make badges and such? I don't care about any of that stuff and am not willing to put money into it.

Anyone at level 10 know how likely it is that foils drop in any case?

zulux21

But if I've unlocked all the cards already with a lower than level 10 profile, is there any chance of more dropping once I get to level 10? Is there a new cap for foils?

And how do you increase your level other than buying cards and using them to make badges and such? I don't care about any of that stuff and am not willing to put money into it.

if you unlocked all your cards already you won't get anymore from those games (aside from dota 2 and TF2 if you pay more money) you would just have a chance of getting foils on other games as they get cards.

as for increasing your level without buying cards to make badges...(or trading for them) the sales have badges and you get 50 exp per year you have been signed up for steam... aside from those, and crafting badges the only other way i know to get some exp on steam is to release a game on steam.

Pudge

if you unlocked all your cards already you won't get anymore from those games (aside from dota 2 and TF2 if you pay more money) you would just have a chance of getting foils on other games as they get cards.

as for increasing your level without buying cards to make badges...(or trading for them) the sales have badges and you get 50 exp per year you have been signed up for steam... aside from those, and crafting badges the only other way i know to get some exp on steam is to release a game on steam.

I hope someone decides to release a game on Steam just to get a higher Steam level.

Finally have the achievement showcase in my options but it seems a bit useless. Just picked some random games so I can't show off more substantial, and rare things such as beating Metro 2033 on Ranger Hardcore. Oh well, sticking with the screenshot showcase it seems.

How much is a Gordon Freeman foil worth? Got one of those.

One dollar, I'll paypal you.
*Crosses fingers*

Wish I had gotten some foils though.

When I got my foil, it counted towards the total drop. It's only 1 foil per game at level 10 and I still picked up the other 3 cards for HL2.
The 1 foil per game is to prevent people from hording and selling it for a high price. That's just my guess.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Nuclear Dawn is also getting cards in the future:

trgUEC1.png

lowbeat

Neo Member
I just got Dear Esther from nacimento, ty very much!
Gave away one ARMA 3 alpha lite game, still have:
2x ARMA 3 alpha lite
23x Dota 2

So lets say I got card drops from playing portal 2. If I sell them or trade them then replay the game can I earn more of the same cards?

So I figured out I have cards for BL2 and TF2... I'm so confused. Should I collect all BL2 cards to get that badge ? What does it do ?
Collecting the whole set and crafting a badge gives 100 exp, an emoticon, a coupon and a profile background. At level 10, there is a chance to get foil cards. Every 10 levels, you get a showcase to display your stuff.
Mostly nothing really besides raising your e-peen. You can't get the whole set by yourself. Need to trade or use the marketplace.
If you get to level 10 and happen to get a foil card. You can make some money selling it.

Oreoleo

Yes.

And I guess foil badges give you more XP, but you have to get a full set of foil cards so that's pretty insane.

I came across a profile of someone who had a bunch of foil badges, perhaps I misread but I'm almost certain a foil badge gives 100XP like a normal badge does. It's just a separate badge entirely. Is just costs ~$20/card to achieve \o/

Collecting the whole set and crafting a badge gives 100 exp, an emoticon, a coupon and a profile background. At level 10, there is a chance to get foil cards. Every 10 levels, you get a showcase to display your stuff.
Mostly nothing really besides raising your e-peen. You can't get the whole set by yourself. Need to trade or use the marketplace.
If you get to level 10 and happen to get a foil card. You can make some money selling it.

what is a foil card ?

I still have a couple of extras available:

1x Bounty Hunter (Dota2)

1x Phantom Lancer (Dota2)

Looking for 1 of any of the following:

Scout (TF2)

Sniper (TF2)

Tiny (Dota2)

Vengeful Spirit (Dota2)

If you have any duplicates of those to trade and need any of mine, shoot me a pm.

Vamphuntr

Crafted the Dota 2 badge and got the Lina and Crystal Maiden Background, Invoker emoticons and 50% Off Guns of Icarus Online (no idea what this game is)

Anyone know if it's even possible to get to Level 10 without making badges? I'm at level 6, but then again I do only have 2 years on Steam, perhaps there were more events I missed.

Exuro

Anyone know if it's even possible to get to Level 10 without making badges? I'm at level 6, but then again I do only have 2 years on Steam, perhaps there were more events I missed.
You'll have to wait for more events that will have badges to obtain such as the summer sale.

I wonder if Valve will ever discontinue Series 1 cards, if they do I can imagine the prices sky-rocketing up pretty quickly.

I mean if you can't get new ones and the supply gets lower everytime someone crafts a badge they could slowly become pretty rare

ht01

Neo Member
I've got a 50% off Droid assault and a 25% off dungeon hearts coupon that are going free (or trade for a card if you are feeling generous)

PM if you want them

Speaking of coupons, I have 50% off Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army and 33% off Guns of Icarus Online. I don't know what I want for them, so just PM me about them and I'll give them to you.

Got 50% off The Bridge, 50% off The Sanctum, 50% off Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars and 66% off Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity coupon. Will trade for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom