• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

reddmyst

In awe at the level of work on display here.

What program does drawingGAF recommend for digital art on windows? Do you mostly have a touch setup, or is a lot of this done with mouse?

I use photoshop CS5 and a drawing tablet (I have a cheap monoprice 10x9 one).

Jhoan

Thanks :) I'll have a look into these. Anyone have any recommendations? Not looking to break the bank, just a good budget one.

EDIT - Is something like this appropriate? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005TYVS4Y/

I can recommend that one if you're starting out. That's the one that I have as well as a couple of other GAF members.

I didn't post an drawing yesterday but I did a drawing of my brother while he was talking on his phone. It looks kind of rough especially around his eyes and mouth. It took me about 20 minutes or so; ballpoint pen on a Moleskine sketch pad (these sketch pads are amazing). Apologies for the crappy quality phone picture:

YsQtYdK.jpg

I'll do a new digital drawing in a bit. Now that I finally submitted one last assignment that I owed my professor, I feel less stressed out and can draw something without being any looming assignments. Expect that to be reflected in the quality of my next work. Perspective/landscapes, animals, more anatomy, and vehicles is something I need to do more of.

Servbot24

Banned
Cool thread, subbed! Here are my drawings for the last 2 days, I'll do another later for today. Second one is photo ref. Half an hour each:

warmup.jpg

Servbot24

Banned
Thanks :) I'll have a look into these. Anyone have any recommendations? Not looking to break the bank, just a good budget one.

EDIT - Is something like this appropriate? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005TYVS4Y/

That seems too small. I would highly recommend getting a medium sized one. Otherwise you'll have to be making these tiny little strokes all the time and it won't be very smooth. Though if that's what you can afford right now it will certainly get you started.

edit oops double post

Lissar

Reluctant Member
That seems too small. I would highly recommend getting a medium sized one. Otherwise you'll have to be making these tiny little strokes all the time and it won't be very smooth. Though if that's what you can afford right now it will certainly get you started.

edit oops double post

Really depends on the person. I've had all sizes and I prefer the small size. I'm a very tiny strokes kind of person. I can't hold my hand steady enough for larger strokes, for some reason I get rather shaky.

Prax

altheus__aila__and_lucien__the_tellius_trio_by_meibatsu-d67fd33.png

This was only supposed to take me an hour or so.. but it took 3-4.. ;__; Whyyyyy (probably because I was deciding on logistics of the costume design lol)...

Program: Paint Tool SAI, JASC Paint Shop Pro 7
Tool: Wacom Intuos 3 (medium size)
Time: 3-4 hours (!!!!)

Subscribed! It's been so long since I've drawn anything. Tryin' to get into the groove again.

Is that Diana Agron? Anyway looks great, can't wait to see her finished.

Yes it is :) Glad I got the likeness across. I want to go back and revisit all the works I have/will post/ed at a later date. Want to keep to a strict time limit and bash out as many as I can.

Time: 70 minutes
Medium: Photoshop CS5.1, Intuos4, Space Navigator
Notes: Used some low resolution picture of a body builder. It was hard to make some parts out, so I used my knowledge of anatomy to fill in the blanks.

This is a fantastic study.

Todays post. 35minutes.

Keikaku

Thanks. My current sketchbook is almost full so I'll go out tomorrow for a few new ones, unless digital would work too?
I've got nothing against digital art (hell, I've only posted digital art so far!) but I think it's important to do drawing practice in a non-digital format. One thing I've noticed, both in my own art and others, is that people tend to get used to some of the awesome features of Photoshop and it starts to affect the way they approach art. You don't have an undo option that's as total and unambiguous as Photoshop's and I think practicing using pen-and-paper makes you a better artist overall.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try drawing from my own face again soon but i don't know if I'll post those here haha, drawing my face makes me feel self-conscious had to do it once for life drawing class.

So i studied over the link you gave me and took your tips into consideration, and tried drawing Takashi Iizuka again

QBX9WNJ.jpg

not perfect by any means, but I'm happy with the outcome, I think it's an improvement in ways, although I think I did the hair worse this time! Spent about the same amount of time I spent on the drawing yesterday.
It's definitely better!

A couple of quick things:
  • Try using photos where the subjects face isn't tilted or skewed into perspective when you're beginning. It helps a lot. Here's a good example of a picture of Yuji Naka that may be a bit simpler.
  • One great reason to use your own face is that you know what you look like so, if you make mistakes, it's easier for you to see where you went wrong.

Got some much needed sleep! Now to work on the two sketches I owe.

eucharis

tumblr_mnqly3IhHa1ql6nj8o1_400.png

Suppose to be sailor Jupiter.

Nice work!

I don't have the dexterity to make lineart like that from a sketch. =A=
Haha same here I'm really forcing myself and thanks!

Alright, here's my sketch from last night, did this in some 20 minutes while skyping with my gf. It wasn't a nice conversation. Anyway, done in all ballpoint pen. Got a wedding today so I probably won't be able to draw today since I won't be able to come home tonight. I'll do two on Monday instead!
Great job the toes and fingers look amazing good style. : D

Keikaku

Time: 20 minutes.
Medium: Photoshop+Tablet
Notes: I don't draw characters and a caricature style is way out of my comfort zone. I tried to do it in the style of Dustin Nguyen. This was me last night after my epic 40+ straight hours of work.

Platy

Did this picture of Blanka over the course of the day on and off, probably a few hours drawing time in total, used a ball point pen.

Blanka.jpg

This took maybe 20 or so min
Leonardosketch.jpg

Blanka or Leo ?
Leo or Blanka ?
Blanka ? Leo ? Blanka ? Leo ? Blanka ? Leo ? Blanka ? Leo ? Blanka ? Leo ?Blanka ? Leo ?Blanka ? Leo ? Blanka ? Leo ? Blanka ? Leo ? Blanka?Leo?Blanka?Leo?Blanka?Leo?Blanka?Leo?Blanka?Leo?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

No gif cam this time because it imploded because of lack of memory =P

Prax

Another drawing of that Altheus character because I guess I have time to blow.

altheus_is_not_pleased_by_meibatsu-d67gpx8.png

EDIT:
And the other two in this trio to finish off this batch. Phew~
Aila
aila_is_unimpressed_by_meibatsu-d67h8y0.png

Lucien
lucien_is_questioning_by_meibatsu-d67hhb1.png

Program: Paint Tool SAI
Tool: Wacom Intuos 3 (medium size)
Time: 45-60 minutes each.

I see so many incredible landscapes posted in the arts thread that i just felt like trying something similar. My second attempt at landscape painting.

sqwarlock

I literally haven't touched my Wacom in 3 years (at least). In fact I have an art degree and haven't created any art in the same amount of time. Depression + lack of motivation + lack of self-confidence in my skill + lack of artistic friend + several other excuses (most of which aren't really valid) = the need to practice again.

I may, MAY, not do a drawing a day, but I'll try, damn it.

So I open with an eye, as they're what I turn to when I have no other ideas or I'm pissed off at the five shitty ideas that came before hand.

ZKSP1G8.png

And yes, I'm aware that the pupil and iris reflections don't exactly match. :(

Ken

Gesture drawing warm-up.

After that I did about 2 hours of still-life drawings, all according to Keikaku.

Reference, 15 minute drawings, and 30 minute drawing.

Time: About 2 hours.
Media: Pen and Paper
Notes: Proportions kill me, as is the feeling of "it always looks off." Was measuring with the pencil with arm straight out trick but my mind was still getting confused. Will have to keep doing this though.

Media: Digital.
Notes: Need to learn how to color, among (many) other things.

Pachinko

I drew a turd with a face today. Took me about 3 minutes. :p

Link

My live stream stuff is on there too. This is a neat thread idea , I actually drew a few things tonight but don't feel like sharing anything else.

Keikaku

My 2nd sketch for today. Make up sketch = done!

Took me just about 20 minutes. I did an artist study of the splash art for a Dota 2 hero called Bane. Then had some fun with the BG colors.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
jbccejJjThFala.png

Only thing I could really do today. Every Sunday for my comic I post up an illustration and a little extra information about the world (it's alternate history/future Japan.) It's fun to do, since the regular comic is in color and these are in black and while. I am not very good with black and white, so it gives me so much needed practice.

Oh, uh... hour I guess. In Painter XII. Since I'm not very good with black and white line drawing stuff it takes me forever, sadly.

vio

Yesterday
qAY4od7.jpg

Just an failed experiment and practice. Going nowhere.

Today
rgB1AHY.jpg

Something i started on weeks ago. Could be portfolio material.

30 mins and 1 hour.
Bamboo Fun Medium + PScs6

I'm really bad at drawing, mainly because I spend all my time sculpting in zbrush (and I've been so out of practice I might as well start from scratch).
The good thing is, I seem to be, by proxy, learning anatomy and applying it to my drawings simply from learning anatomy through sculpting.

Anyhoo..

Day 1
10min in photoshop

8922433639_488f3d11e9_c.jpg

Anteater

Day4

I have trouble visualizing simple shapes in the correct perspective, I just don't know why, so everything is so flat.

Anyone have tips on gesture drawing? I understand the concept of it but I have trouble translating a figure into quick simple lines.

Loxley

Day 4

Anyone have tips on gesture drawing? I understand the concept of it but I have trouble translating a figure into quick simple lines.

Avoid spending too much time on any one specific area, keep moving around. When I was in school, we were often taught that the first line you draw should be the midline of the body, from head to toe (assuming you're drawing a person, of course). Then move to marking the major joints of the body, like the shoulders, neck, elbows, hips, knees, etc. Be sure to also draw horizontal lines across the body to indicate the angle of the shoulders, hips and torso, and often the knees as well - this will help give you a quick indication if your placement of the major joints is off.

Do all of this without ever once lifting your pencil. My foundation drawing teacher would see who in the class could make the most convincing gestures with the fewest lines (difficult when your pencil can never leave the paper).

Also, practice gestures with different time limits. We would work on separate gestures for 3 minutes, then one minute, then 30 seconds, then 10 seconds, then finally five seconds. Gestures are a great exercise for speed versus accuracy, with enough practice you'd be surprised what you can draw in five seconds.

Thorgal

ah damnit i have a couple of great manga drawings here that i want to show and hear what other people think of them. but they are all at least a year old + i spent whole nights on some ( was kind of a obsession back then)

may i post these here or is there another thread for those?

Anteater

Avoid spending too much time on any one specific area, keep moving around. When I was in school, we were often taught that the first line you draw should be the midline of the body, from head to toe (assuming you're drawing a person, of course). Then move to marking the major joints of the body, like the shoulders, neck, elbows, hips, knees, etc. Be sure to also draw horizontal lines across the body to indicate the angle of the shoulders, hips and torso, and often the knees as well - this will help give you a quick indication if your placement of the major joints is off.

Do all of this without ever once lifting your pencil. My foundation drawing teacher would see who in the class could make the most convincing gestures with the fewest lines (difficult when your pencil can never leave the paper).

Also, practice gestures with different time limits. We would work on separate gestures for 3 minutes, then one minute, then 30 seconds, then 10 seconds, then finally five seconds. Gestures are a great exercise for speed versus accuracy, with enough practice you'd be surprised what you can draw in five seconds.

Thanks for the tips! That's really helpful. I'll try doing them for warm ups.

Yea I usually don't know where to start so sometimes I'd end up getting the balance wrong because I try to draw too much.

L00P

Yeah sure, I'll join. Maybe this'll motivate me to draw more often.

Day 1: a thief/ninja/bandit girl. I don't really know. Just made it up

I used a combination of pencil and pastel tools in manga studio along with my bamboo tablet. Took me about an hour and a half, give or take. Longer if you count the staring

Kyaw

Just getting started with tablet drawing. I suck at it compared to real life media. ;_;

Day 1:

A stack of boxes on a mat. Took me about an hour. (I know it doesn't look like that much time is spent)

Ledsen

So I haven't drawn since I was a kid.

Where do I start?

Some type of tutorial?

Or just draw as much as possible without looking at guides or the like?

I'm using a Bamboo Pen & Touch, never used one before.

Top Bottom