• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Episode up!

http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-volume-4-chapter-7-redux

More of an idea of what's going on with Oscar / what Ozpin actually is

Shackles off, Weiss. Time to be free!

Qrow vs Tryrian. YES.

I totally called Oscar being the new Ozpin and that it being like Avatar and the Four Maidens.

Also it was obvious from the get-go that Whitley was not to be trusted. Dude even hated Winter for crying out loud.

Hype fight was hype. I do hope we see Yang in the next episode though. It's been a bit too long since we last saw her.

Wow, didn't actually think we'd be getting a new episode this side of the new year, but hell yeah I'll take it! My thoughts:

Okay, this scene with Oscar let me down a little bit. His design is great, even his VA is doing a stand-up job with him (nothing seems too stilted with his dialogue), it's just he's immediately going down the reluctant/angsty teenage route with his sitaution with Ozpin, despite the fact we as the audience haven't been given any real evidence as to why we should feel sorry for him here. I mean, the way he was introduced had an upbeat, optimistic tone: from the music, to the lighting, and his body language seemed to express a sense of positivity - even if he was doing farm work. And then that scene where Oz introduces himself literally cracked me up it was so funny, there was no sense of his frustration at living on a farm, there nor that he'd be the kind of character that would go for brooding when his life took a turn for the bizarre. I had the distinct impression this guy wasn't going to be comic relief, and not some messiah figure, but still be an instantly positive person to be around. To go from that attitude to this self-pitying was a little out of place imo. Not saying I dislike him, but it did make me a bit more apprehensive for the next scene in a thread I was actually loving.

Hell, the way Oz just says "hello", made me think this guy is going to be awkward teen Ozpin, made even more weird by the fact hes guided by a disembodied voice. Since the series is clearly not dragging itself through sobriety, I really thought any and all inclusion by this guy was going to be light hearted, yet important to the plot. By the way, anyone else notice they added an echoed effect on Oz now? I swear in the previous scene he was so clear it was as if his model was just an inch away from the shot, whereas here they're making more of an effort through the audio to show he's inside Oscar's head.

As for Weiss, damn that was a brutal way of showing her be struck, I love how they didn't dramatise it too heavily (no tears, no long drawn out silence), they gave it the gravity that action deserved, they weren't too violent in it's presentation, and they kept Weiss's diginity following it - she's a battle-hardened Huntress now, Jaucqe proved he is the only bitch there (unless you count Whitley outside) with that slap. Also, kudos to Jason Douglas, he's channeling a whole lot of smarminess to make his character as big of a fucker as imaginable. However, the same can't be said for Whitley just yet, (the character, not the VA), he just seemed like a side-note at the end of that confrontation, though I'd love it if that were a theme: he's ultimately a puppet for his dad, but never truly amounts to any real threat in Weiss/Winter/Ironwood's arc.

And finally, that fight! Still not feeling anything like Monty's but it's clear they want it to be slowing in action, they've spent a fortune on that rendering farm they showed off this autumn, they want to capture as much detail to the characters as possible. Perhaps we'll see more fluiditiy in the future, but I'm still impressed by what the animation department have already accomplished here. I feel Qrow's wound will be the crux of Ruby's second plot this volume, a way of keeping RNJR busy (getting him help, learning of the maidens, Ruby & uncle bonding, maybe a Jaune and Qrow scene about Pyhrra), while we get more advancement on the other girls plot.

On Jaune, he was so set up for a shot of greatness here and it never even materialised at all! They set up the great plot-point in the fight that Tyrian is easily distracted when he's in the thick of it, proven by how Qrow went to town on his face. They established that RNJR wasn't a shonen-esqe group of onlookers (I really was expecting a cutway to them saying something generic like "So this is a real hunter!", thankfully not) with Ren and Nora stepping in, but being pushed aside since Tyrian was still composed at that point. Ruby had already got her point across that she was fighting side-by-side with Qrow, not his damsel, Jaune (already proven to someone Tyrian is interested in) has a swing so vicious now it creates a shockwave, he's tried so hard. Why didn't he get the tail cut? This last point is nitpicking to the extreme, but it did feel like a missed oppurtnuity nonetheless...

Tl;dr, I loved it enough to immediately watch it again, and so far this volume is flowing way more smoothly than I had hoped for, given that they now have four seperate protagonists rather than a core group of four.

And finally, that fight! Still not feeling anything like Monty's but it's clear they want it to be slowing in action, they've spent a fortune on that rendering farm they showed off this autumn, they want to capture as much detail to the characters as possible. Perhaps we'll see more fluiditiy in the future, but I'm still impressed by what the animation department have already accomplished here. I feel Qrow's wound will be the crux of Ruby's second plot this volume, a way of keeping RNJR busy (getting him help, learning of the maidens, Ruby & uncle bonding, maybe a Jaune and Qrow scene about Pyhrra), while we get more advancement on the other girls plot.

On Jaune, he was so set up for a shot of greatness here and it never even materialised at all! They set up the great plot-point in the fight that Tyrian is easily distracted when he's in the thick of it, proven by how Qrow went to town on his face. They established that RNJR wasn't a shonen-esqe group of onlookers (I really was expecting a cutway to them saying something generic like "So this is a real hunter!", thankfully not) with Ren and Nora stepping in, but being pushed aside since Tyrian was still composed at that point. Ruby had already got her point across that she was fighting side-by-side with Qrow, not his damsel, Jaune (already proven to someone Tyrian is interested in) has a swing so vicious now it creates a shockwave, he's tried so hard. Why didn't he get the tail cut? This last point is nitpicking to the extreme, but it did feel like a missed oppurtnuity nonetheless...

At the same time, RNJR, and Ruby in particular were really showing their inexperience during that fight. I was basically screaming at them for not seeing that by trying to intervene, all they did was put Qrow at a disadvantage since not only did he have to fight Tyrion, but he had to protect the kids at the same time.

This is even more visible in that last scene where Ruby screws up, and it's Qrow that gets injured since he had to step in to protect Ruby. Had the kids did what they were told and stood back, I have no doubt this battle would have turned out with Qrow still in tact and Tyrion being the one injured

Great episode, still want to see...

Scythe Crow.

So clearly RNJR is about to learn about the maidens, and I get the feeling Crow is going to get poisoned by Tyrian and then when he returns RNJR have to step up and take him down (minus tail now lol, nice one Ruby) in order to save Crow.

I really like the theory that Tyrian is blind but can see/sense aura which is what Crow was trying to point out to Ruby since he realized that as they fought.

At the same time, RNJR, and Ruby in particular were really showing their inexperience during that fight. I was basically screaming at them for not seeing that by trying to intervene, all they did was put Qrow at a disadvantage since not only did he have to fight Tyrion, but he had to protect the kids at the same time.

This is even more visible in that last scene where Ruby screws up, and it's Qrow that gets injured since he had to step in to protect Ruby. Had the kids did what they were told and stood back, I have no doubt this battle would have turned out with Qrow still in tact and Tyrion being the one injured

Yeah, I see what you mean, and I agree they made the bad call in fighting given that Qrow had to take that hit, but what I meant that RT decided not to relegate RNJR's role in the story to shonen-esqe commentators. How often did the roster in DBZ exist to break up the combat animation between Goku/Gohan/Vegeta fighting whoever, despite the fact many of them were skilled combatants themselves? I was tipping the hat that RT didn't cheap out that way here.

From the auidences POV leaving things to Qrow is a no-brainer, but he isn't blameless in being injured covering for Ruby, and I don't mean 'if he were more skilled, he'd have dodged it.' RNJR's, and more specifically Ruby's actions make total sense in the story since, from their persepctive, they're battle-hardened, wilderness-exploring, full-fledged Hunstman who are shocked at how good they have been clearing their path to Haven. They'd no clue until now that Qrow has probably saved their lives more times than they can count behind the scenes. It is totally their responsiblity as 'now experienced' Hunstmen to take any fight head on, especially one where an ally is also risking their life - regardless of how foolish they are to us the audience, and Qrow's actions fed that mentality. Had he taken a more active role as a mentor, they may have been a stornger unit, but hindsight is 20-20 here, for everyone involved (including Tyrian).

They were meant to mess up here, and Qrow was meant to be the one to pay the price, since his injury is a new lesson for them to get serious about how outclassed they still are, whilst not actually taking any of the four out of the equation for the blatant rematch by the end of the volume.

New episode is up for subscribers!

Okay so RNJR is filled in plus we get an explanation on how Grimm, Humans, and everything else came to be. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this Light/Darkness motif its really over used but I do like how they are using it at least. So clearly Salem/Ozpin are either these gods of light and darkness or humans who were reincarnated from them or something to that effect.

I really liked Jaune's reaction to everything, hes really not happy and its understandable why. Same for Ruby as well.

Qrow's semblance being bad luck explains a lot, including why he told Ruby to stay away from the fight last week, he clearly seems to blame it on how things turned out with his team judging by what he was saying about it.

Blakes family is adorable but seriously LOL at Blake throwing Sun's scroll directly at the White Fang spy observing them. I get the feeling Blake's parents aren't going to live though this season if Adam shows up like in the opening.

So Qrow is poisoned like most of us thought, that was predictable and I'm kinda surprised he didn't seem to notice it himself at all, for such a skilled huntsmen you would think it would be something he'd be more careful of. Clearly the next part of this arc is RNJR trying to save him either by going after Tyrian or hell even seeking Raven's help only to find out its her people who did in Nora/Rin's family. If I had to guess between the two the former seems like the more obvious choice but maybe Raven will show up and offer to help since it seems like she was watching over their talk at the camp site, not super willingly of course but she likely still wants Qrow to stay alive since he must have hidden the relic if it was indeed at the school.

WTB Yang already, its been several episodes now without catching up with her at all but maybe they are saving her for showing up recovered in one of the final episodes to help RNJR or something. It would be interesting if she ends up actually getting to confront Raven this season but I don't think we'll actually have enough episodes for that left this season.

Calling something now:

The last shot of Weiss's arc this season is going to be her
mastering her summoning power and using it to fly out of the tower on the back of a glowing white Nevermore

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Currently on vacation and was able to get caught up:

Pretty much echoing what everyone else has said so far, but holy hell when are we going to get more Yang? She's going to make some heroic entrance by either saving Ruby or Blake isn't she?

And seriously, screw Sun. He's annoying, obnoxious, and a pest, and I'm praying Adam kills him so we can be rid of this loser already.

And seriously, screw Sun. He's annoying, obnoxious, and a pest, and I'm praying Adam kills him so we can be rid of this loser already.

Except he was right and trying to warn Blake of something important and she was being stubborn and unfair. Though I very much feel Sun has been a bit Flanderized this season and I hope the writers tone it down. Sun was much more together and collected in every previous appearance.

Also, concerning the "World of Remnant" embedded in this episode:
We now learn that Remnant has a Triforce...er...Quadforce.

Except he was right and trying to warn Blake of something important and she was being stubborn and unfair. Though I very much feel Sun has been a bit Flanderized this season and I hope the writers tone it down. Sun was much more together and collected in every previous appearance.

Except Sun clearly chose to wait longer to tell Blake about the information and instead invade her privacy by spying on her much-needed talk with Ghira. Just look at how he interrupts the scene again. He was pressing up against the door and then immediately tried to bullshit his way out of trouble ("What?! This ain't the bathroom! Hahahahhahaha!").

He even said that he took the photo of the Masked WF member (
who I'm betting is probably Adam and not Ilya
) the day before and only realized it might be a matter of concern after talking with Kali- yet he chose to spy on Blake first and then only started babbling about the photo after he needed something to cover his ass.

Blake was harsh, yes, but Sun totally deserved being called out for that shit.

As for this episode:

THANK GOD, YANG IS BACK. It's weird, despite her having the least amount of screentime this volume among the main four girls, I definitely think she's the one who's been handled the best so far in relation to dealing with the fallout of V3.

Weiss continues to be awesome with her new Stand.

Since Ilya was trying to steal Sun's scroll, I'm betting the photo was definitely of Adam. We haven't had a chance to see the photo ourselves, so I'm betting it's gonna be revealed as a big deal once Blake gets Sun back to the house.

With RNJR splitting in half, I'm guessing that Qrow might actually not make it out of this one. Not sure yet. However I'm hoping that this divide is used to finally have Ruby address her losses from V3 and actually develop.

I'm also guessing the deserted village they're heading for was Ren and Nora's hometown, hence Ren being adamant about going through the mountains.

Except Sun clearly chose to wait longer to tell Blake about the information and instead invade her privacy by spying on her much-needed talk with Ghira. Just look at how he interrupts the scene again. He was pressing up against the door and then immediately tried to bullshit his way out of trouble ("What?! This ain't the bathroom! Hahahahhahaha!").

He even said that he took the photo of the Masked WF member (
who I'm betting is probably Adam and not Ilya
) the day before and only realized it might be a matter of concern after talking with Kali- yet he chose to spy on Blake first and then only started babbling about the photo after he needed something to cover his ass.

Blake was harsh, yes, but Sun totally deserved being called out for that shit..

I don't read it that way at all. It looked to me like after talking to her mom he recognized things could be worse than assumed and the picture he took was very important, so he rushed to find Blake and talk to her, only to walk up to the door and realize she was having an important moment with her dad he should not interrupt. So he waited, listening for when they'd be done and he could walk in. Unfortunately he bungled it by falling through the door. After that moment however, yeah, he should have explained himself instead of trying to cover up his mistake in a really lame way but again, I put that one on the writers. They want to build tension between Son and Blake and well.....this is how they decided to do it...by making Son comic relief.

Also, people were shocked when Jacques slapped Weiss and ready to murder him, even though based on his character construction his actions were rather predictable. Meanwhile, Blake has punched and slapped Son twice. Yeah, she's got a lot of stress in her life right now but she's taking it out in a really abusive way on a guy who's on her side and trying, be it ever so clumsily, to watch her back. Meanwhile, he just takes it and focuses on pointing out the real danger to her. Boy deserves a medal.

Squire

Banned
Oh, this thread was bumped!

I just started watching this this week and I'm super into it. Volume 3 is really excellent. I only just realized volume 4 is still airing.

Grazzt

With so many dialogues about Raven this week, I bet she will appear soon, hopefully to save her brother. I also believe the splitting of RNJR is easier for her to make an appearance, since she or her group obviously has a history with Ren/Nora.

naeS

Finally caught up.

Mhmm that delicious backstory. We finally got it. I am so glad to see Yang back. Cannot wait for her to set everything on fire.

zulux21

Anybody played it? How is it?

I haven't played it but from steam user reviews, it sounds like it is a fun game to play, but it's also very short and if I recall right the ps4 version has the dlc included, but on the steam version they sound like the dlc was promised content later and then they released it as dlc instead of as part of the EA stuff.

basically, if money is no object, you will likely enjoy it as a fan of the show.

if you are looking to get a good value for your money though you should likely wait for a sale.

Anybody played it? How is it?

Had a good go of it today on PS4, managed to run through it a couple of times as Ruby, Weiss and Yang. It has some glaring issues from the interface itself, lackluster level design, janky-PS1-esque platforming in sections and feels way too light on the fluidity of combat (at least, if you're into feeling a lot like the Huntsmen of the show). Can't say I disliked it all that much, as it clearly works, character models look accurate as hell to the show (I mean, really good models), and the VAs seem to be enjoying themselves.

As a RWBY fan, I'm not regretting putting the money down on this, but if I were impartial, or ignorant of the series, and saw this as a way of dipping my toe in the pool, I'd be sorely disappointed in all the RWBY hype online.

Know it's a double post but Episode 10 is up for FIRST subscriber.

Holy Hell I loved this episode. Like, All of it!

As far as I can recall, wasn't Hazel headed to meet with the leader of the White Fang? If so, I have to wonder if, a) he's accomplished this task and is either aiding Tyrian or Watts, or b) Their leader Khan is active in Mistral. Either way, that little scene made him all the more intimitading.

Jaune & Ruby had a gorgious bit of reflection in Kuroyuri, I really wanted to see someone help pick Ruby up after Volume 3, since it was kinda glossed that she suffered a lot of trauma emotionally when Beacon fell, and I think Jaune is the perfect person, even moreso than Qrow, to reaffirm her actions. It is a good role-reversal to what she was to him back in Volume 1.

And despite being the cool, sotic token background character voiced by Monty, Ren has the single most fleshed out and realised backstory out of all the cast, and this flashback actually gives him a lot more plot armor than it does raise death flags imo (Nora too, for that matter). Ren's family looked great, Nora's backstory is upsetting, and more to the point, her inital interaction with Ren was so too, since he does have the predispostion to turn away from pain (like he did with the crossroads last week). I'd say, since Nora's sitaution wasn't formally established here, we haven't learnt why she was orphaned, so she is safe, and Ren's semblance is probably a perfect match for a showdown with that Grimm. By the way...

That Grimm! I had the impression it could be Qilin, since that would chime well with Mistral's Asian inspirations, but I dunno if it is that/a Chimera type, or it is a Grimm riding and controlling another. Either way, it is by far the most ominous thing this series has presented us with.

tl;dr, best episode of the volume, arguably one of the best in the series period.

Was that Ren and Nora screaming at the end along with the Grimm?

No it was just the grimm... And speaking of it I had two nighmares since saturday because of that ep -.-

Know it's a double post but Episode 10 is up for FIRST subscriber.

Holy Hell I loved this episode. Like, All of it!

As far as I can recall, wasn't Hazel headed to meet with the leader of the White Fang? If so, I have to wonder if, a) he's accomplished this task and is either aiding Tyrian or Watts, or b) Their leader Khan is active in Mistral. Either way, that little scene made him all the more intimitading.

Jaune & Ruby had a gorgious bit of reflection in Kuroyuri, I really wanted to see someone help pick Ruby up after Volume 3, since it was kinda glossed that she suffered a lot of trauma emotionally when Beacon fell, and I think Jaune is the perfect person, even moreso than Qrow, to reaffirm her actions. It is a good role-reversal to what she was to him back in Volume 1.

And despite being the cool, sotic token background character voiced by Monty, Ren has the single most fleshed out and realised backstory out of all the cast, and this flashback actually gives him a lot more plot armor than it does raise death flags imo (Nora too, for that matter). Ren's family looked great, Nora's backstory is upsetting, and more to the point, her inital interaction with Ren was so too, since he does have the predispostion to turn away from pain (like he did with the crossroads last week). I'd say, since Nora's sitaution wasn't formally established here, we haven't learnt why she was orphaned, so she is safe, and Ren's semblance is probably a perfect match for a showdown with that Grimm. By the way...

That Grimm! I had the impression it could be Qilin, since that would chime well with Mistral's Asian inspirations, but I dunno if it is that/a Chimera type, or it is a Grimm riding and controlling another. Either way, it is by far the most ominous thing this series has presented us with.

tl;dr, best episode of the volume, arguably one of the best in the series period.

The grimm is basically a Nuckelavee... Something that is extremely terrifying and I fear that this thing will be the end game for this volume if it truly is such a thing in grimm form Dx

Calling it, Jaune is gonna discover his assemblence in ep 12 while trying to save his friends.

I'm evenly split between Jaune's semblance, Ruby's silver eyes powers, and Raven getting off her ass and doing something.

RT Animation 2017 schedule has been revealed:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/23/rwby-to-return-this-fall-exclusive/

February 1st - Death Battle returns with Lara Croft vs Nathan Drake, DBX episodes will return as well
February 4th - RWBY Volume 4 ends
February 18th - Sex Swing Season 1
April - Red Vs Blue Season 15
May - RWBY Chibi Season 2
June - Camp Camp Season 2
Fall - Ruby Volume 5

No it was just the grimm... And speaking of it I had two nighmares since saturday because of that ep -.-

The grimm is basically a Nuckelavee... Something that is extremely terrifying and I fear that this thing will be the end game for this volume if it truly is such a thing in grimm form Dx

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of people bring up a Nuckelavee, seems pretty certain. Given what we've seen already of it, and given what the original demon is often depicted as, I'm with you on the terrifying aspect. Makes me really curious to see what else RT can do with more hardcore mythological designs. My prediction: this thing will take RNJR plus Raven to stop, and we'll have a cliff-hanger over Qrow. Vol 4 is akin to the first third of a 'season 2', so I think they would hold off killing a cast member until further in. Then again, I thought that in Vol 3...

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of people bring up a Nuckelavee, seems pretty certain. Given what we've seen already of it, and given what the original demon is often depicted as, I'm with you on the terrifying aspect. Makes me really curious to see what else RT can do with more hardcore mythological designs. My prediction: this thing will take RNJR plus Raven to stop, and we'll have a cliff-hanger over Qrow. Vol 4 is akin to the first third of a 'season 2', so I think they would hold off killing a cast member until further in. Then again, I thought that in Vol 3...
yes idk what to think. i keep thinking ren & nora will die or qrow will die or something... this thing seems unbelievably strong back 10 years ago in the show's time. it has only grown since then and I feel that ruby wont be able to use her powers again until someone else is lost =/

yes idk what to think. i keep thinking ren & nora will die or qrow will die or something... this thing seems unbelievably strong back 10 years ago in the show's time. it has only grown since then and I feel that ruby wont be able to use her powers again until someone else is lost =/

I think this thing is meant to be slain by Ren and Nora, though any sign of the Silver Eyes power would be greatly appreciated. If I had to guess, we'd get an episode that will sprinkle the Nuckelavee's descent on Ruby & Jaune with a tie-up of the other members of Team RWBY's story arcs (Weiss breaks out of her estate leaving a cliff hanger, Tai & Yang's house being targetted by White Fang given how those fox twins are prevelant in her segment of the opening, and perhaps even Adam making an appearance either their or at Menagerie) with the finale being solely on Ren and Nora reaching the town whilst Ruby & Jaune fend it off.

That, or the 11th episode is the second half of flashbacks detailing how Nora came to be in Ren's home town, given how here appearance and demeanour meant she was orphaned but seemingly desperate. By that I mean she didn't appear as hardened as a street orhpan would, making me believe she may have only recently lost her home, and given Nuckelavee's connection to Norse mythology, it may have been pursuing her to Kiroyuri in the first place. That'd make it not only a good interpresonal motivation for Ren and Nora to stand up to this thing in the finale, but also tie up their whole story arcs if RT decides they do want to kill off another beloved character (Please don't).

Total conspiracy theories here btw!

Flandy

I haven't watched since episode 6 when Qrow and Raven were in the bar.

I keep telling myself I should catch up but I haven't
wat do

Geist-

Finally started watching Volume 4
and feeling like I should have waited another week.

The animation and writing just keep getting better every Volume. That scene with Jaune watching that almost love confession on repeat hurt so goddamn much.

Yang's robot arm is so fucking cool, this show seems to have everything I love (It's fantasy future-tastic).
Black and gold is an excellent color scheme.

Nora and Ren's backstories are way more interesting than I was expecting. Good explanation for Nora's strong attachment.

I didn't think Weiss' Dad would be a good guy, but I didn't expect him to be almost straight evil.

Idk wtf Ozpin's story is all about.

Season finale is looking good, but I guess that means that we'll have to wait until Volume 5 for RWBY to reuinite and for the Minstrel storyline to conclude.

Kinsei

Banned
I totally thought
Ty was going to die either this episode or the finale and that would be the event that got Yang to leave home. I'm glad I was wrong. Now I hope I'm wrong about Ren dying in the finale.

Oh, and this is my first post in this thread. Hi RWBY Gaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom