• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Emunand is really old

Go to 3ds.guide and start from there

Yea ik ive just been busy with mods on WiiU and Vita lately havent had incentive to start with Luma.Another big reason is space needing double the space to hold then install cias isnt really an option right now with so many of my devices using micro sds I have none to spare.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just hacked my 3DS using 3ds.guide. My only objective is to dump all of my games for future playthroughs when emulators get good enough to play them.

I used GodMode9 to dump all the titles on my system, using the "standard CIA" method.

A few questions:
1) How do I dump DSiWare games on my system? Their title IDs aren't listed on the SD card like the other stuff I have.

2) Is there anything I have to do with these CIA games to play them on PC?

3) Is it at all possible I own anything that's completely undumped? Is there a list of stuff that's been dumped so I can see if I do?

Does Citra even play .cia files? I thought it was limited to decrypted .3ds files? Godmode9 should be able to dump them in that format as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Answer to my questions:

1) DSiWare files are there, but not on the SD card. Check the other partitions doing the title scan until you find them, then back them up just like anything else.

2) Citra won't play CIA files, but there's a CIA to 3DS converter -- or you can dump decrypted 3DS files directly from GodMode9. Also you need to dump 3DS font files to use Citra for some reason.

3) Pretty much everything seemed dumped, but I uploaded my decTitleKeys.bin anyway and it was fine.

So I quite literally took my small New 3DS out of the closet this weekend, after a long time away. It's running firmware 11.3. I'm using Cubic Ninja to get to the homebrew menu.

with the latest stable Picodrive and SNES9x retroarch cores, I'm getting a ton of slowdown. I remember performance being a lot better when I last used retroarch maybe two years ago. What happened?

So I quite literally took my small New 3DS out of the closet this weekend, after a long time away. It's running firmware 11.3. I'm using Cubic Ninja to get to the homebrew menu.

with the latest stable Picodrive and SNES9x retroarch cores, I'm getting a ton of slowdown. I remember performance being a lot better when I last used retroarch maybe two years ago. What happened?
Don't worry about it, just update using http://3ds.guide and install the latest versions of your emulators (or RetroArch)

ZombAid82

ZSo, I've finally hacked my 3Ds, which has been ages on 10.7 because I was scared at making the process, after my Wii U bricked.
Is it save for me, to just plug in Metroid: Samus returns in it and just play away, or let me put it another way. Can I just update regularly with a game or from Nintendo directly?
Sorry if this has already been answered...

Edit: Found an answer for myself. Just updated through luma and everything is fine.

Are you saying this will give me better performance than just using Ninjhax? While I'm sure it's not difficult per se, I'm not eager to do extra work. Ninjhax is so easy...
Yes, it will give you better performance.

This latest method, B9S, is future proof and very easy to do. Once you've done it, you'll be super happy.

Yes, it will give you better performance.

This latest method, B9S, is future proof and very easy to do. Once you've done it, you'll be super happy.

I recently moved my 9.2 gateway based setup to the latest firmware using the 3ds.guide doing the B9S thing. It straight up freaked me out to read the part where it said "ok now connect to Nintendo and upgrade to the latest firmware". I read it about 6 times and checked it twice each time to make sure I was seeing that right.

Usually firmware updates RIGHT FROM the manufacturer are the antithesis of what you want to do in a home brew environment.

Pretty cool to be up and running. Very painless start to finish using that guide. Very handy to get the latest Retroarch up and running for purposes of playing Metroid II which I wanted to revisit after the series re-imagining.

My official VC title does not support the very respectable color pallet provided by the GBC. Retroarch Gambatte handles it with ease.

1422000662622.gif

EmiPrime

I think I will hack my other system as it seems pretty easy

1. Will a fridge magnet do the job?

2. All my digital purchases are on one system. Can I use Godmode9 to back them up and get them onto my other system? From my playing around I assume I use 3dsdb to decipher what folders contain what game then I select the .app and build a .cia?

edit: Ignore question 2, you build from the .tmd file.

What is it and how has it been improved?

It's the work horse behind TWL - Loader which lets you play DS games from the SD card.

They greatly improved the caching which means that performance isn't abysmal for anything over 32 MB in size. They've also got Pokemon Diamond / Pearl / Platinum working.

Compatibility is still very hit and miss though.

That actually depends on the particular fridge magnet. Can't you just try it before actual hacking on a 3DS that's turned on? (The sensor in question will just trigger sleep mode.)

Most thin flat fridge magnets are too weak (the magnets that I got at the Switch launch for example). A really good one will probably work, most of the older style circles / rectangle bars should be strong enough. The magnet in phone cases that trigger screens like in the Nexus cases are strong enough, as are the magnets in the Surfacebook pens.

Ideally you want one of the small circular ones a bit smaller than your fingernail. Strong enough to do the job but not interfere with the already difficult button combo.

WildZero

Most thin flat fridge magnets are too weak (the magnets that I got at the Switch launch for example). A really good one will probably work, most of the older style circles / rectangle bars should be strong enough. The magnet in phone cases that trigger screens like in the Nexus cases are strong enough, as are the magnets in the Surfacebook pens.

Ideally you want one of the small circular ones a bit smaller than your fingernail. Strong enough to do the job but not interfere with the already difficult button combo.

I did it with the smart cover off my iPad. That was a bit fiddly to get working...

I did it with the smart cover off my iPad. That was a bit fiddly to get working...

Yeah, I had a similar issue with my phone case, it gets in the way of the buttons, I ended up using the Surface pen instead since I could balance the pen edge on the table and the magnet in the right place.

Answer to my questions:

1) DSiWare files are there, but not on the SD card. Check the other partitions doing the title scan until you find them, then back them up just like anything else.

2) Citra won't play CIA files, but there's a CIA to 3DS converter -- or you can dump decrypted 3DS files directly from GodMode9. Also you need to dump 3DS font files to use Citra for some reason.

3) Pretty much everything seemed dumped, but I uploaded my decTitleKeys.bin anyway and it was fine.

The 3DS and PSP have system wide fonts. A lot of games don't use them, but then again a lot do. It's illegal to distribute the fonts for the same reason it's illegal to distribute roms, therefore you're required to dump your own. PPSSPP eventually incorporated a freeware font of similar layout/design to the PSP's I think. The problem is the fonts can have unique characters, layouts, etc so it's not always easy to find a legal match.

Are you saying this will give me better performance than just using Ninjhax? While I'm sure it's not difficult per se, I'm not eager to do extra work. Ninjhax is so easy...
Running emulators with the homebrew launcher is slower than home menu since the launcher itself doesn't have full access to system modules.

milkham

I have an old 3ds xl that I went through 3ds.guide with and installed latest version of everything as of last month. I picked up a new 3ds xl which is on 11.4, I put off updating to 11.5 and attempting system transfer dsiware hack. Now that 11.6 is out, I have to go the flashcart/magnet route right?

I have an old 3ds xl that I went through 3ds.guide with and installed latest version of everything as of last month. I picked up a new 3ds xl which is on 11.4, I put off updating to 11.5 and attempting system transfer dsiware hack. Now that 11.6 is out, I have to go the flashcart/magnet route right?
Go to the guide and answer the questions.

Robin64

If you ever need a legit GBA BIOS dump, grab Pokémon Gold or Silver from the eShop. The folder contains agb.bin, oddly.

Oddly, if you ever need a legit GBA BIOS dump, grab Pokémon Gold or Silver from the eShop. The folder contains agb.bin, oddly.

Also Nintendo's patches for a Pokemon Crystal VC release if you have a clean Crystal ROM dump (the same patches as done to G/S VC but for Crystal)

Someone at Nintendo is bad at keeping their project folders clean.

catabarez

I just modded a New 3DS that was at factory settings. Could I transfer my content from another New 3DS onto the modded one without any problems?

GBA on New 3DS coming after all?

I know I am dreaming.

There's already GBA games on the eshop (though the selection is limited). It's already possible to inject games into it on CFW, recent developments mean that most games (including Pokemon Advanced Gen) work without a hitch (it's only a couple of games that use hardware not in the 3DS that don't), though the injector that makes use of these discoveries is still in semi-public beta (you need to DM the author on GBATemp).

GBA on New 3DS coming after all?

I know I am dreaming.

Thing is, the gba bios has to be part of the 3DS firmware somewhere for the ambassador games. Those are all low level, I can't see them working without a copy of the bios. So the inclusion in any VC title, especially GBC games is super weird.

Thing is, the gba bios has to be part of the 3DS firmware somewhere for the ambassador games. Those are all low level, I can't see them working without a copy of the bios. So the inclusion in any VC title, especially GBC games is super weird.

Since the Crystal patches are in there they may have been experimenting with running at least Crystal in GBA mode (though as far as I know the GBA mode on 3DS has only a partial GBC mode implementation but Nintendo could have been working on a more complete version in house).

Since the Crystal patches are in there they may have been experimenting with running at least Crystal in GBA mode (though as far as I know the GBA mode on 3DS has only a partial GBC mode implementation but Nintendo could have been working on a more complete version in house).

Since Crystal doesn't support any GBA features (unlike, say, the Zelda Oracle games) that doesn't make much sense to me either. About the only thing I can think of is that the GBA bios is locked behind whatever mode the 3DS goes into when it launches an ambassador game. Like when you go into DS mode, it locks out 3DS features. That seems like a silly design choice, but if they never planned on having a higher level emulation I could see it as simply being a lack of foresight for the New 3DS hardware when designing the original 3DS software.

But that means we come back around to why include the GBA bios for a GBC game that can't see or take advantage of the GBA hardware and thus wouldn't need access to the GBA bios? This just feels extra sloppy... like someone was messing with the game in a GBA emulator on his PC and just copy+pasted the entire directory.

Yeah, this really sounds unusually sloppy. Loads of GBA emulators don't need the GBA BIOS at all for vast majority of GBA games, so you would need to be... either unusually paranoiac or dimwitted to get one while playtesting a GBC game. Regardless of GBA detection which is pretty much a flag.

That said 3DS GB VC was mentioned by hackers to have remnant GBA code since... pretty much forever.

Is there anything that will play MSU-1 SNES games on my New 3DS? I know it's supported in newer versions of snes9x on PC, so retroarch maybe?

I wouldn't expect it to run full speed. The versions based on snes9x after 2005 (just labeled snes9x and snes9x2011) are going to run really badly.

Got this working today :D used Soundhax on my 11.3.0-36U system.

3ds.guide didn't mention blocking updates or anything - am I safe to connect to the internet?

Got this working today :D used Soundhax on my 11.3.0-36U system.

3ds.guide didn't mention blocking updates or anything - am I safe to connect to the internet?

yep! You have b9s installed, right? If so, all you need to do is make sure to keep Luma updated. You're fine to continue keeping the system updated with the latest firmware as long as you do that.

I used to be very active in this thread last year, but I haven't used my 3DS since the Switch launched and I haven't kept up with the homebrew updates...

My N3DS XL is on 11.2.0-35U with A9LH and Luma installed. What is recommended that I do to get up to date? I would like to play Metriod and not sure if it will cause issues on my current setup.

Should I just follow the steps for A9LH to B9S on this page https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s ? Do I need to switch to B9S? Anything else I should know about? Thanks!

I used to be very active in this thread last year, but I haven't used my 3DS since the Switch launched and I haven't kept up with the homebrew updates...

My N3DS XL is on 11.2.0-35U with A9LH and Luma installed. What is recommended that I do to get up to date? I would like to play Metriod and not sure if it will cause issues on my current setup.

Should I just follow the steps for A9LH to B9S on this page https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s ? Do I need to switch to B9S? Anything else I should know about? Thanks!

You need B9S to use the latest version of Luma, which you should be on for the latest versions of 3DS firmware. Yes just follow that guide, it's a lot less scary than when you installed A9LH :) no firmware drop.

Switching to B9S is recommended because it's way cleaner of a solution overall than A9LH, and it's a prerequisite for all current and future Luma updates. That said, A9LH and its associated Luma versions ended up being quite formidable and I wouldn't be really surprised if it just worked well enough with the current system update.

Since the ban waves became a thing some time around B9S release, turning wireless off when using unofficial applications became a thing some people do.

I was on the same firmware as you, with only A9LH and Luma, and I was able to play the new Metroid just fine without switching to B9S or even updating Luma. Worth trying it without updating unless you really want additional features from B9S.

uhh so how do i move from a 32gb card to 64gb with homebrew?

I just tried it right now by copy pasting from 32 to 64 like you would normally do for upgrading 3ds and it didnt work. apologies if i missed something but I googled and checked out some gbatemp threads and htye all said it should work like this.

formatted the 64gb card using the sd formatter as well before copying data to it

Gaardus

uhh so how do i move from a 32gb card to 64gb with homebrew?

I just tried it right now by copy pasting from 32 to 64 like you would normally do for upgrading 3ds and it didnt work. apologies if i missed something but I googled and checked out some gbatemp threads and htye all said it should work like this.

formatted the 64gb card using the sd formatter as well before copying data to it
Did you format it as FAT32 specifically? It won't work otherwise, homebrew or not.

Did you format it as FAT32 specifically? It won't work otherwise, homebrew or not.

I thought the SD card formatter does that on its own when I click overwrite. I guess i made a mistake there. Ill try doing this again. thanks.

But once that is done, just drag and drop then?

Top Bottom