• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Oh god, they have learned nothing from Mighty No. 9.

Fancy piece of hand drawn concept art. Actual game is going to be 2.5D in unreal engine.

Here comes the angry mob once the first actual gameplay videos emerge.
What do you mean? They go out of their way to stress that the game will not look like that.

dmr87

2 player productions, oh yes.

I wish there were a higher tier than $28 with digital content, I don't need physical things shipped to me.

Michiru Yamane

giphy.gif

sörine

Banned
I dig more Igavanias than not, but not crazy about the character design tbh, and IntiCreates last Kickstarter game, Mighty No.9, looks like a PS2 title. Making it for the 3DS pretty much sealed the deal that its going for the lowest common denominator, aesthetic and visual wise. Hope this isn't for handheld.

hope it turns out well, but its not getting any of my money until it looks good, if ever.
Mighty No. 9 isn't being made around 3DS. It's engine doesn't even run on the system, that version's being converted by an outsourced team.

The lowest common denominator for MN9 is 360 or PS3 (probably PS3 given it's UE3). There's no hardware limitation behind it "looking like a PS2 game".

Kouriozan

Alright, that sounds sweet, I'm sold.
Just waiting a bit to see if they'll add a 3DS or Wii U version in the hidden stretch goals.

Fularu

Banned
Those rewards tiers are stupid

May chime in for a physical copy on ps4 though (sucks about the lack of WiiU where most igavanias are/should end up available)

Tain

I want to play this and am confident it will be good (like I'm confident that MN9 will be good), but I don't feel like I need to back it.

R1CHO

I like the genre, but will buy at launch, there are two things I don't like about this KS:

1st: Here is what we have to show, two music tracks and a couple concept arts.

2nd: The whole "we have the investors", but we need to show them the community money. Raises lots of questions.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Publishers didn't think we wanted his type of games? To hell with publishers. Are they seriously telling legendary creators this kind of stuff. I'll back Koji Igarashi until I'm 100 years old.

Kyuur

Some stuff from the Kickstarter page regarding the visual style:

IGA decided to go with 2.5D for this project for both financial and artistic reasons. All decisions in game development involve trade-offs, and for Bloodstained a 2.5D world built on Unreal Engine 4 was the right choice to balance development time, graphical fidelity, budget, and scope.

At the same time, IGA is very excited about exploring the paths a 2.5D style opens up within the classic Igavania formula. As he begins a new chapter of his career as a developer, he's looking forward to trying things that will enhance, rather than detract from, that core gameplay.

Still, though, we would never discount the fans' love for that classic style. The development team is looking forward to working with backers every step of the way to decide on custom shaders that will give the game a distinctive, hand-crafted look. Games like Guilty Gear and Strider are proof that 2.5D can be handled in a way that honors a classic aesthetic while allowing for new possibilities; that’s what IGA hopes to achieve with this project.

And of course, since it's an Igavania game, the 2D gameplay and feel are nonnegotiable.

THAT CONCEPT ART IMAGE LOOKS AWESOME – WILL THE GAME LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THAT?

We love it, too, but at this point it’s only concept art—since building out the custom shaders that will define this game's visual style will take some time, we can't show you in-game screenshots just yet.

What we can promise is that we'll be talking to backers all through the development process, and showing them the progress we're making. Using UE4 allows us a great deal of flexibility, and Inti Creates can't wait to show you just what they can wring out of it.

Sounds like they have additional funding if they hit 500k from backers. I wonder how large the entire budget would be.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
After watching the video I got to say that it seems they haven't gone far past the concept stages (which I understand the reasoning behind that) but nonetheless I will think about backing this later as that physical tier is tempting.

Nosgoroth

IT'S 2D. EDIT: Or not. UE4, eh?

Got to go in 5 minutes, but in for the $100 tier for now. Need to know:

1) Does the physical PC box contain the actual game in DRM-less playable form?
2) Wii U stretch goal in the basement details please?
3) Not feeling the art so much for now, but I'd consider the artbook tier if I get convinced otherwise.

Will pledge for a copy if it hits Wii U stretch goal (I assume that's what the basement copy). I will play the GBA games through Virtual Console and possibly the DS ones as well.

If it doesn't come I'll probably still check it out eventually.

That video was really entertaining. I really like the look of the protagonist.

Well, i guess this will be my first kickstarter. Gotta decide on the tier.

Also, lol @ 800k getting David Hayter. I want that to happen so bad.

@ Wii U, basement, basically they´re going to announce a Wii U funding goal at some point.

If only i had more money i'd go for the hundred dollar set, I'll back it for the digital version but Im sure I'll go to physical before it's all said and done.

Kudo

Art looks superb, now I'm worried it'll end up like MN9.
Definitely want that collectors edition.

lupinko

What's wrong with Inticreates? Mighty No. 9 is not their fault, they're just following Inafking's vision.

I just want Ayami Kojima Art, she is the other part of the trinity.

I'm conflicted, how do Steam physical copies work, it's just going to be a box with a code? I don't own a PS4 or Xbone yet.

I do prefer Steam though.

Unless it's like no DRM or whatever like gog games.

Top Bottom