• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow it actually started! It actually downloaded without derping out overnight and now it's ACTUALLY RUNNING!! I tried so many times on the PTU and it's finally working in the public release.

WGMBY

Finally got in, Was running around and decided to go help some guy who got stranded at a comm array. Moment he set foot in my 300i, game crashed.

Now I can't get back in, error code 4 Server Full every time. It was fun while I was in there though

What kind of performance are people seeing in SLI?

Is it at least functional?

(I know it's alpha and it likely has a lot more optimization to go, but if it is decently playable now I may go ahead and jump in)

Chris_C

I've never really played space sims, but I got Rebel Galaxy during the steam sale as a gateway drug. Picked up Elite Dangerousand downloaded Star Citizen to try out the free flight mode.

I have to say, I was really disappointed y the incredible amount of temporal aliasing in the hangar. As soon as I started the Arena Commander flight tutorial, framerates tanked to 25-30. I also kept getting random freezes every few seconds until I managed to get out into space, regardless of whether I was running low or very high.

I've got a Core i5 4570, a GTX 970, 16gb ram and a 512GB SSD. Is this normal?

tuxfool

Banned
What kind of performance are people seeing in SLI?

Is it at least functional?

(I know it's alpha and it likely has a lot more optimization to go, but if it is decently playable now I may go ahead and jump in)

You won't really be making use of it for performance. You can probably crank up the resolution but at the moment the game is heavily Server and CPU bound.

Sorry in advance, but I don't think Star Citizen currently supports SLI at all. I hope I'm wrong.
It does and it is something that they're working on. It just doesn't work that well.

Can confirm that SLI does not work currently. Just tested it with 2 980s. Getting unplayable levels of flicker. Haven't played around with SLI profiles yet.
e: there you have it.

Unstable

Can confirm that SLI does not work currently. Just tested it with 2 980s. Getting unplayable levels of flicker. Haven't played around with SLI profiles yet.

Fergie

Banned
The potential of this game is sensational.

I'm a backer but my current PC can't handle more than 20FPS. Make a build next year.

How large is the game download? I haven't played since Arena Commander first came out so I'll have to download fresh again.

Also, can we obtain other ships with credits yet in this or are you still only limited to the ships you've bought for real cash during these alpha/beta phases? I backed this game in the first week it was announced and got whatever the ship of the $60 equivalent was, think it was an Aurora? :/

Rephin

How large is the game download? I haven't played since Arena Commander first came out so I'll have to download fresh again.

Also, can we obtain other ships with credits yet in this or are you still only limited to the ships you've bought for real cash during these alpha/beta phases? I backed this game in the first week it was announced and got whatever the ship of the $60 equivalent was, think it was an Aurora? :/
It's about 30GB.

Limited to real cash at the moment. Alpha 2.0 is the first small PU build, after all.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

$60 would be a 300i

I think you can earn REC (temporary in-game money) by playing Arena Commander and that can be used to rent different ships.

CMDBob

14gb to go, does anyone know if the 300 series ships still slowly spin on the landing pad? Or if falling through your ship if its damaged is still happening?

Still spinnin like crazy, bouncing and everything. Sometimes the landing gear fails to even come out when I order my 300i. The bloody 300 series ships have got to be one of the buggiest sets of ships, as I've fallen through the floor of mine REPEATEDLY.

Rephin

$60 would be a 300i

I think you can earn REC (temporary in-game money) by playing Arena Commander and that can be used to rent different ships.
Do rented ships appear in the Universe part though? Even my Voyager Direct items aren't applied in there yet. :/

Rephin

Still spinnin like crazy, bouncing and everything. Sometimes the landing gear fails to even come out when I order my 300i. The bloody 300 series ships have got to be one of the buggiest sets of ships, as I've fallen through the floor of mine REPEATEDLY.
You should have seen both the Constellation and the Retaliator in the PTU. I couldn't step anywhere except the elevator without going through the floor, lol.

The landing gear on my Hornet also fails to appear sometimes as well. One of the PTU patch notes says they fixed it but it's a dirty lie.

If you haven't yet, report it to Issue Council or help verify someone else's report on it.

Edit: Oops, sorry, double post. :/

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Damnit, it crashed to desktop as I was EVAing through my first comm array. I'm glad it generally runs now, though.

I really want a Gladius now -_- It reminds me of the original Wing Commander Hornet, and it has a classic Wing Commander radar.

Do rented ships appear in the Universe part though? Even my Voyager Direct items aren't applied in there yet. :/

Oh. I don't know. Maybe not =(

CMDBob

You should have seen both the Constellation and the Retaliator in the PTU. I couldn't step anywhere except the elevator without going through the floor, lol.

The landing gear on my Hornet also fails to appear sometimes as well. One of the PTU patch notes says they fixed it but it's a dirty lie.

If you haven't yet, report it to Issue Council or help verify someone else's report on it.

Edit: Oops, sorry, double post. :/

Yeah, I've already verified the existing report for it. It's really annoying.

Just want to say that the method described in this reddit post still works great (skip to the "Once you have the PTU files downloaded" part) for flying around the system/doing missions solo. All the quantum travel/objectives/scripts seemed to be working fine.

Third-Drifter

Neo Member
Looks excellent. I've been a backer since the initial public announcement. I'm planning to build a new rig sometime but I'm in no rush. Greatest scam in videogames amirite?

Rephin

Looks excellent. I've been a backer since the initial public announcement. I'm planning to build a new rig sometime but I'm in no rush. Greatest scam in videogames amirite?

Scam Citizen has been my favorite light reading all year. A literal rollercoaster of an experience. So much anger. So much salt. So many tears. An easy 8/10, if you're Smart and like good drama on the internet.

epmode

Star Citizen could really take some audio cues from Elite: Dangerous. That game's on another level compared to this.

I guess the individual sound effects are OK but, I dunno, the computer sounds are off. Either there's too much of that damned talking computer or there are too many important-sounding blips and beeps for trivial stuff. Like, I don't need my targeting computer going haywire every time a new object comes within range. The engine sound effects don't seem to match up with what I'm doing either.

tuxfool

Banned
Star Citizen could really take some audio cues from Elite: Dangerous. That game's on another level compared to this.

I guess the individual sound effects are OK but, I dunno, the computer sounds are off. Either there's too much of that damned talking computer or there are too many important-sounding blips and beeps for trivial stuff. Like, I don't need my targeting computer going haywire every time a new object comes within range. The engine sound effects don't seem to match up with what I'm doing either.

If you go talk the SC Audio guys, you'll see there is reason to be excited.

lacinius

Nope, ships you can rent via REC credits are limited to Arena Commander as REC is a function of AC and not the outside universe, which will rely on UEE credits for cash. Voyager Direct items "should" start to transition to the outside universe once they bring "shopping" online. Right now VD items are limited to your hangar and AC. **Edit to add... you can swap items (guns, shields, etc.) on your hangar ready ships for VD items and REC rentals via the holo-table to have them show up in AC... so use REC to try before you buy!

What does "64 bit map" mean?

Is that like a blast processing map?

It means "we picked a silly engine to make this game on but after years of backbreaking work and modifications we're finally able to make a map bigger than 10km wide"

In a nutshell ;D

tuxfool

Banned
What does "64 bit map" mean?

Is that like a blast processing map?

It means that it has a 64bit coordinate space, as opposed to 32bit like all other games. It means that a map can be reflective of the actual vastness of space and yet retain the object accuracy that is expected at a human level.

It means "we picked a silly engine to make this game on but after years of backbreaking work and modifications we're finally able to make a map bigger than 10km wide"

I'm not aware of any other engine suitable for their purposes...

It means that it has a 64bit coordinate space, as opposed to 32bit like all other games. It means that a map can be reflective of the actual vastness of space and yet retain the object accuracy that is expected at a human level.

I'm not aware of any other engine suitable for their purposes...

I mean... I suppose. I'd like to think I have more faith in SC delivering on most of its promises than the average GAFer, but when it comes to CryEngine I can never shake the perhaps cynical impression that it was chosen cause it looks good. Functionality? Worry about that later! We'll make it work!

But hey, it's all coming together now.

atbigelow

aka blast processing.

Seriously, it's fine that it's 64-bit coordinates. It is funny that it is being trumpeted as something incredible. Should probably call it "emotion engine coordinates".

epmode

If you go talk the SC Audio guys, you'll see there is reason to be excited.

Could you link to something that addresses this? I've seen clips about thechnology improvements but very little about the quality of the sound effects themselves.

I'm not insane, right? I can hardly believe how good Elite sounds just doing mundane stuff. Those Sidewinder engine sounds are astonishing. The canopy breaches, the ambient space station sounds, hyperspace, everything.

aka blast processing.

Seriously, it's fine that it's 64-bit coordinates. It is funny that it is being trumpeted as something incredible. Should probably call it "emotion engine coordinates".

64 bit coordinate data is absolutely not meaningless. The game they're trying to make would be impossible without it.

tuxfool

Banned
I mean... I suppose. I'd like to think I have more faith in SC delivering on most of its promises than the average GAFer, but when it comes to CryEngine I can never shake the perhaps cynical impression that it was chosen cause it looks good. Functionality? Worry about that later! We'll make it work!

Regardless of the choice to use CryEngine, I'd still like to know what you would have proposed that they use otherwise.

It took them a lot of work and it isn't something that many other engines do (partially because they don't need to). I don't think it is wrong for them to be proud of it.

But hey, it's all coming together now.
I'm not really knowledgeable of all the various engines and what they're good at, but the biggest appeal of Star Citizen as far as I'm concerned is that ultimately everything is from the perspective and control of a human. Every other spaceship game you're just a ship. CryEngine is good for first person human stuff.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm not insane, right? I can hardly believe how good Elite sounds just doing mundane stuff. Those Sidewinder engine sounds are astonishing. The canopy breaches, the ambient space station sounds, hyperspace, everything.

I suggest you read through some of the later answers for their ask a developer thread.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/17396/star-citizen-game-audio

The audio is a matter of taste, but what interests me is what they want to do in regard to making sound a meaningful response to game features. Things like , "replacing components will make your ship sound different" and "Each engine manufacturer has a distinctive sound"

Actual quote from lhatton:

Totally agree. The reason this is missing right now, is because we're planning to overhaul the sound of piloting the ship. We're looking at the following;

- the powerplant has a unique sound which will change in tone and character depending on the manoeuvre you're performing and the other components you're using.

- we are avoiding ambience becoming simple drones with a few bleeps. Ultimately, it will be as detailed as possible with every pipe, vent and visible computer system getting a voice and being affected by the state the ship is in and how much resource is available to drive that system. For example, we want to have ventilation whir up and on come on-line should components overheat and extra computer beeps happen if you're in a damaged 'warning' situation.

- Will also test pumping more energy/fuel type sounds though pipes depending on thruster output. We really want all of the sounds outside the cockpit seat area (on multi-crew, such as the connie!), to be totally alive and feel reactive to pilot input.

- We want to introduce a designed sound to better inform the pilot of manoeuvring, such as for rotating and directional drifting.

- Every manufacturer and ship will have a much more noticeable signature sound from the cockpit or exterior perspectives.

The code work to support these ideas is being worked on, so you may well start hearing more details slip in with upcoming releases.

400 quadrillion cubic kilometers of FPS mobility is not that much. It's a small achievement, really. You might be onto something here, Derek.

Regardless of the choice to use CryEngine, I'd still like to know what you would have proposed that they use otherwise.

giphy.gif

Yeah, it's working fine now. No, I don't have a detailed counter proposal for you. Yes, I will still probably subconsciously blame it for things. I apologize profusely ;P

tuxfool

Banned
giphy.gif

Yeah, it's working fine now. No, I don't have a detailed counter proposal for you. Yes, I will still probably subconsciously blame it for things. I apologize profusely ;P

Hey, I'm not trying to ride your ass here, but there have been all sorts of comments saying they shouldn't have done xyz, very few have proposed workable alternative solutions to their problems.

My personal favourite is the suggestion that they should have written their own engine from scratch.

atbigelow

64 bit coordinate data is absolutely not meaningless. The game they're trying to make would be impossible without it.

It took them a lot of work and it isn't something that many other engines do (partially because they don't need to). I don't think it is wrong for them to be proud of it.

:rollseyes:

I never said it was meaningless or that it didn't take work. Sorry, I will never speak ill of their marketing again.

(Blast processing was a real thing, too)

Zalusithix

My personal favourite is the suggestion that they should have written their own engine from scratch.

It would have been amusing to see a home-brewed engine attempted before they had any real talent hired in that area. I assume people just assume that any old programmer can whip up an advanced engine tailor suited to the application. That said, they have enough ex-Crytek people hired now that they could probably do it, but that would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

And on an unrelated note, all applications to the org (as of this post) are now processed.

epmode

I never said it was meaningless or that it didn't take work. Sorry, I will never speak ill of their marketing again.

I'm pretty skeptical of this game but converting Cryengine to 64 bit coordinate data is not a trivial bit of engineering and it is absolutely not hollow marketing speak. The only reason you're hearing about it is because the developers are remarkably open to discussing technical issues that would never be publicly addressed by other companies.

Shy

A couple of things.

1: how do i control myself during an EVA with a controller. ?
2: God i wish we locks on our ships, i'm tired of some cunt constantly getting in with me. (or trying to kill me)

Top Bottom