• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random: Why would you name a card Valley Dasher in a block with the Dash mechanic if you are not going to put it in the set(s) with Dash?

thinkingemoji.jpg

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Dragon tribal is siiiick, but given the usual state of (most) precons, I'm curious how Wizards is actually going to make the thing semi-playable given the absurd curve shown so far + balancing the need for (good) fixers/rocks with the 99 card limit and not wanting to give 'too much' value.

Yeef

Using Ur-Dragon as your commander means all your dragons always cost 1 less. This commander set is also the perfect place to reprint changelings (and make some new ones), so I don't think the curve should be much of an issue.

Random: Why would you name a card Valley Dasher in a block with the Dash mechanic if you are not going to put it in the set(s) with Dash?

thinkingemoji.jpg
Dash wasn't a mechanic until Fate Reforged. It's not unlikely that the Khans file was locked before dash was 100% a sure thing in Fate Reforged. Also, at least Valley Dasher does something similar to what creatures with dash do (namely have haste and attack).

This is more egregious to me:

33.jpg

This could have been something like:

Time 1UU
Instant
Creatures target player controls don't untap during that player's next untap step.
//
Reflect 2WW
Instant
Aftermath
Redirect all damage dealt by creatures target player controls to that player until end of turn.

Since every card in Time Spiral was a reference I had to look up what Scion of the Ur-Dragon was referencing in the first place: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/legends-time-spiral-2006-11-13

The Ur-Dragon isn't a creature, but a concept – the paragon of “dragon-ness.” This card represents a manifestation of one aspect of the dragon ideal.

Somebody is going to bring this up pedantically, but literally nobody remembered that before this card got printed anyway.

Using Ur-Dragon as your commander means all your dragons always cost 1 less. This commander set is also the perfect place to reprint changelings (and make some new ones), so I don't think the curve should be much of an issue.

Dash wasn't a mechanic until Fate Reforged. It's not unlikely that the Khans file was locked before dash was 100% a sure thing in Fate Reforged. Also, at least Valley Dasher does something similar to what creatures with dash do (namely have haste and attack).

This is more egregious to me:

This could have been something like:

Time 1UU
Instant
Creatures target player controls don't untap during that player's next untap step.
//
Reflect 2WW
Instant
Aftermath
Redirect all damage dealt by creatures target player controls to that player until end of turn.

Haha, fair. The "To" thing is certainly weird. I def don't see the need for the Time to Reflect name in the set.

RE: Valley Dasher, I know it's a different set, but it's the same block. Just funny.

RE: New potential cards, good lord! These are pretty hilair. Interesting that some podcasts people were claiming that C17 was monocoloured. Makes me very curious about the other decks.

So Im guessing all the C17 precons will be based around the Eminence keyword? I would love to have an elemental one, but Horde of Notions will forever be my commander.

Zocano

Do y'all have any suggestions with experimenting with the basic affinity shell? Kinda not sure if there's really any reason to given that it just seems so "stable" as it is.

Korgill

So someone with better rules knowledge help me, but O-Kagachi, since when do players attack? I thought it was always templated as a player's creature attacked?

Firemind

I wish they would focus less on 5c dragon tribal. The fact that the only non 5c dragon is another Jund commander feels like a slap in the face.

So someone with better rules knowledge help me, but O-Kagachi, since when do players attack? I thought it was always templated as a player's creature attacked?

It's possible that they're simplifying the wording precisely because there's no other way to interpret it.

The new dragon deck looks sick as hell.

Dragon tribal is sweet. I don't think I could run the big one in my scion deck though.

It is hard enough generating enough value when scion is 5 colors, and having reasonable early plays.

Dragon tribal is already so mana intensive I couldn't imagine a 9 mana general. Its actually nice about scion that you can cheat things into the yard.

I need to play scion more often now that I think about it.
Scion gives no fucks about CMC. Big Ur Dragon makes for a unilateral show and tell.
All your early plays in Scion should be ways to accelerate into Scion, as Scion is all the value you'll ever need.
Once you have set up w in th a couple searches you can go and res big Ur Dragon with haste as well.

It requires less setup than Utvara Hellkite at 8 mana.

No kidding though, my scion deck's average cmc is 4.x while most of my other decks are 3.x or less with the more competitive builds being closer to 2 than 3.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Reverse image search'd. Came up with nothing.

Art direction fits with original O-Kagachi art

O-kagachi.jpg

4.jpg

what the fuck? Cat Dragon? Dragon Avatar? holy shit, Scion's pappy!

Strictly worse than Descend Upon The Sinful

Also, if you can't find the art, its 99% real

DrArchon

The Ur-Dragon looks fucking nutty for a commander. Just having a permanent Dragonlord's Servant emblem from the start of the game onward is fantastic, but being able to turn it into a 10/10 card draw engine is too good.

Whether or not it'll be more popular than Scion remains to be seen. I know people love their tutors.

Also, part of me is miffed that O-Kagachi isn't a Hydra. Look at that original art! He's clearly a Hydra there.

DrArchon

I could see there being an Elf deck. I don't think there's been a strictly Elf Tribal themed card in BWG, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an Abzan Elf lord.

I mean, as long as whatever the Eminence effect does isn't huge, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I doubt it's going to be as big as making all of your Elves cost 1 less.

DrArchon

Honestly a great card for a precon. I figured there had to be a "Dragons you play can't be countered" card in there, but I figured it'd be a Surrak Dragonclaw reprint if anything. Instead we get a brand new card that can be a solid commander on his own outside of any dragon theme.

Neat to see Taigam finally get a card, and it follows the pattern of the other not!clan leaders from Dragons.

And so much for "can't be countered" being tertiary in blue, haha.

I was considering making a Dakkon Blackblade esper control list but I'll gladly switch it up for Taigam UW control.

It appears like they abandoned the foils, unless they put 2 copies in each, which is a shame since that means I won't be able to full art alter some of them.

Okay, so the weirdest thing about this so far is that there are (at least) five brand-new legends in this deck! I wonder if they felt like doing four new legends per deck was a big hit with C16 and just decided to up the volume; if there's five per deck here that'll be 20 new ones, just like the previous set.

Also, wow again at the deep cuts. Ramos is from Mercadian Masques and probably not a lot of people these days are thinking how much they want to fill in the gaps of that setting. Like Wasitora he's designed to hew pretty closely to the established facts from older cards and stories, too.

Pretty weird card, it cares about instant, sorceries and... Dragons (lol)

That's a huge flavor win for me. The Jeskai/Ojutai clan are the ones who do prowess and rebound, so they care about instants and sorceries -- and they're led by a dragon. That combo wouldn't make sense for anything else but it's exactly right for this character.

It appears like they abandoned the foils, unless they put 2 copies in each, which is a shame since that means I won't be able to full art alter some of them.

I think there was mostly negative feedback about the Commanders being foil in the previous set.

Ashodin

okay now this is just weird but isn't it kinda good for storm? Manamorphose with this out is 4 additional mana. You can cloudshift it to reset the once per turn rider.

Hilarious with
OH MY FUCKING GOD, RAMOS?????????

ARE YOU SERIOUS

I'M MARKING OUT

Holy shit he's the uber converge / sunburst commander. Fits way better than Progenitus holy shit

Basically you want to run as many 5c dudes as possible. Cascading cataracts!

Santiako

A_Dang

I really like Ramos, like...I am already thinking about different decks to build and ordered a copy of Transguild Courier just in case

The sad reality is that no matter what I will end up building a really lame, under-powered deck that produces counters for no real pay off because I can not help my self

Santiako

This is my prediction now:

5c Dragons (known)
UB Zombies
GW Humans (angel subtheme)
R Goblins

or

5c Dragons
RG Elementals
UW Spirits
B Zombies

This is my prediction now:

5c Dragons (known)
UB Zombies
GW Humans (angel subtheme)
R Goblins

or

5c Dragons
RG Elementals
UW Spirits
B Zombies

They've said one of them is a left-field choice, so something's gotta be weirder than these.

Also I'm basically 100% certain they won't do Humans.

I think anything mono is extremely unlikely, so zombies (which are easy to justify as, say, esper) are more likely than goblins (which despite history are really only gonna feel right at mono-red.)

Yeef

Gavin says there will be one tribe that people wouldn't expect. It's obviously mono-green brushwaggs.

Also, I doubt any of the decks will be monocolored. Even in the big races like goblins and elves, there's multiple popular cards that are multicolor or off color.

I do hope at least one of the decks is class-based rather than race-based. Rogues or Soldiers or Shamans could be cool.

Violet_0

Banned
I thought they said one of the tribes will be a surprise
I still go with cats. Rats would be cool, too, although they've always been mono-black iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom