• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmmm. Who can tell with Snyder, he gets ahead of himself when speaking about his work. Went back and found the tweet I was thinking of, it's from April 27th:

We're working on it right now! 2 new stories, - 1 50pp. stand alone, and one full Wytches 2 arc. 1st starting end of summer, 2nd in winter.

I'm sure he does plan to do 2 volumes, as much as he plans to finish off AmVamp. It's just WHEN. He said years ago he had the story for Severed vol 2 lol.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Bought the Ann. Conquest and GotG omnibus to catch up on cosmic Marvel. Got both at €50 so that was a good deal. I thought the GotG issues would be spread around those other omnibuses, but it's a seperate omnibus... Can I read the entire GotG omnibus or do I stop at #7 like the guide says? Because I haven't bought the War of Kings omni yet.

Following up on this, looks like all the GotG issues are already collected in 3 other WoK omnis. Order's just shipped, so too late. I was blinded by the sale price

edit: uuugh fuck it, I just bought all 3 WoK omnis on Amazon. €300, bam. I'll sell that GotG omnibus later

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
2017 is gonna an awesome year for comic book movies, so far we've gotten Lego Batman, Logan, Guardians 2 and Wonder Woman soon, not a single dud in there and we still got Spidey, Thor, and JL.

[edit]

There's also Valerian but I dunno about that one.

Valiant High makes me so happy

UJOMuoU.png

muiJFAB.png

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I need a bit help.
It looks like Namors movie rights are now again at Marvel Studios and we are discussing, if a asian should be cast.
I was pointed at his at some point, too, that the original depiction from Kirby made him appear asian.
namor.jpg

Not as much as a caricature like the Mandarin for example, but I tend to agree on this point.
Modern adaptions of Namior make him look far more caucasian, but same goes for, for example, the Mandarin, who is undoubtly asian.
tumblr_mv2mimge4A1r86ysgo4_400.png

Was there at some point any indication, that Namor was supposed to be asian? I have read Earth X, where it is talked about his parents, and I think he has a english or american father but I haven found anything more about this yet.

Edit: I love that Namor and Wolverine seem to have the same haircut :D

caliph95

I need a bit help.
It looks like Namors movie rights are now again at Marvel Studios and we are discussing, if a asian should be cast.
I was pointed at his at some point, too, that the original depiction from Kirby made him appear asian.
namor.jpg

Not as much as a caricature like the Mandarin for example, but I tend to agree on this point.
Modern adaptions of Namior make him look far more caucasian, but same goes for, for example, the Mandarin, who is undoubtly asian.

Was there at some point any indication, that Namor was supposed to be asian? I have read Earth X, where it is talked about his parents, and I think he has a english or american father but I haven found anything more about this yet.
Have to check but i remember him having an english father he could look this because he is half atlantean

I need a bit help.
namor.jpg

Edit: I love that Namor and Wolverine seem to have the same haircut :D
God, imagine if Donnie Yen got to play him.

I think the first atlanteans in Marvel had asian features because it was an easy way for Marvel to make them "other-ly".

The Beat: Along with all its other woes, Marvel also has a library problem

Kurt Busiek argued that Dr Strange was originally Asian. It wasn't explicit in the story but that was the way Ditko drew Asian features.

I imagine he'd argue the same with Namor.

It'd be nice to have a quality funny book from Valiant again like the original Archer & Armstrong. The last one by Roberts didn't hit the mark.

I'm sensing you and I weren't the only ones to feel that way. I have been enjoying Harbinger Renegade, but Roberts' A&A was very much a miss for me. I didn't end up finishing it, even. lol

dh4niel

I'd agree with the majority of the Marvel Comics "woes" article. Way too many number ones and series. Very confusing for a trades collector like myself to easily differentiate between volume 1s of a particular series.

ElNarez

Banned
At this point Nick Spencer has taken so many Ls it's starting to have an effect on the web at arge, ook, it's happening right now, he's steaing them from a over the pace

It almost comical how Nick Spencer seems to be comic bad guy number one now.

If people don't agree with his story choices and want to give there opinions on that and stop reading his series that makes perfect sense to me, but seems to be at a point now where every comment/twitter post he makes has to be scrutinised and given a political agenda.

In that BC article, they literally take his comments one by one and smugly rip into it. I would disagree with what he says but his argument isn't the craziest thing in the world, boiling it down he's pretty much saying that for some low selling series he can see the logic of rather than cancelling them, you can try relaunching and even though sales will drop again you can use the boosted sales from the new 1 issue to keep the series going longer than it would. I would say that its not a sustainable practice to even keep relaunching that way but its not like its that crazy an opinion hes having there.

Seriously I'm not getting into arguments of stupid stuff Spencer may have said in the past, but I really don't see whats so bad he's said in that article. Just reads to me like a petty Bleeding Cool fluff piece of lets hate on the hated guy for clicks and to have an excuse for a new article piece. But you know BC gonna BC

Sandfox

Seriously I'm not getting into arguments of stupid stuff Spencer may have said in the past, but I really don't see whats so bad he's said in that article. Just reads to me like a petty Bleeding Cool fluff piece of lets hate on the hated guy for clicks and to have an excuse for a new article piece. But you know BC gonna BC
What he said wasn't exactly controversial or even negative, but it's Jude Terror who needs to write about every single thing Spencer tweets.

ElNarez

Banned
Spencer said a mondo stupid thing to defend Marvel after someone said their way of doing business was shitty and counter-productive, it's a day ending in y.

The story here is that someone said "Hey the constant relaunches are maybe good for short-term profit but in the long run they make things needlessly complicated, dilute your brand and give people more jumping-off points", and Spencer made a thread the thesis of which was "yeah but those short-term profits tho"

Sandfox

Spencer said a mondo stupid thing to defend Marvel after someone said their way of doing business was shitty and counter-productive, it's a day ending in y.

The story here is that someone said "Hey the constant relaunches are maybe good for short-term profit but in the long run they make things needlessly complicated, dilute your brand and give people more jumping-off points", and Spencer made a thread the thesis of which was "yeah but those short-term profits tho"
His "thesis" was more about the creative teams getting to finish their story than anything else. Dude even acknowledges the downsides including diminishing returns and doesn't really talk about short term profit outside of a tweet that just ties back into the creators getting to finish their book because of it. That is a really weird complaint to pick out from those tweets.

Li Kao

Ok it's that time of the month where I foolishly think my OCD will allow me to resume reading comics without breaking the bank or having hundred of backissues to sift through. Believe.
That being said I said fuck it and just read some comics that I wanted to read, not because of continuity or brand or whatever inane criteria and... it felt good.

So...

Motor Girl #01-05
Not totally sold on it yet, maybe because the whole plot takes it sweet ass time to play out, but it is certainly interesting. The whole contrast between lighthearted and war trauma, between cartoon aliens and creepy motherfucker aliens, the cast... I'm okay to read more.

- Young Animal line

Cave Carson
Pulpy with a dash of humor and gore. Liked it a lot.

Doom Patrol
Hated the first two issues, pages after pages of undecipherable 'thing'. When the whole thing started to make sense with #03 it was a blast though. Love it.

Shade The Changing Girl #01
Not really what I think as sexy, art or story wise, but the end product is quite enjoyable. The teen drama angle is interesting. I don't hate it at all.

Owzers

The good thing about not buying monthly comics from dc/ marvel is not having to care about anything they do. Let Roman Reigns be champ again with a new #1, I'm still on the first hellboy library edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom