• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Eden $0.99 Steam sale huge sucess, made entire income in 8 hours

Who is he? Dude with the same avatar? I've seen it before but don't remember the name.

In any case, that dude's tweets are so embarrassing. I felt bed for him while reading them.

eGDNt0f.png

this is him arguing that he likes the Xbox Ones terrible sharpening filter when upscaling games (and wants it on the PS4)

stressboy

Excellent news for them. I bought it years ago when it launched on the PS3, and bought it during the $1 sale as well. Brilliant game.

coldfoot

Banned
The key point here is that $1 got all the people who weren't going to buy it in the first place. Which is the reason many people have 300+ games with half of them not even launched :)

Don't see why that abrasion guy is surprised for $1. I'm sure when you average a game that's given out for PS+ the amount they earn is comparable if not even less.

HoosTrax

Have both Eden and Monsters. Eden really grabbed me for some reason...it's got kind of the same abstract appeal as Osmos and Eufloria.

Curious about Shooter though. I've watched the trailer and I still have no idea what I'm looking at. Is it similar to Waking Mars?

syko de4d

Check greenmangaming.com for Deponia 3 I believe they have it on sale.
Thx man for the info, wierd they only have the special edt. for sale but with the voucher code its still 4,50€ cheaper than normal steam version and i had 4€ gmg credit :)

antitrop

That is one hilariously stubborn Twitter dude.

I bought Eden at full price on Steam a while back, but I couldn't really get into it. The game didn't do anything for me. Only Pixeljunk game I really enjoyed was Monsters.

coldfoot

Banned
Have both Eden and Monsters. Eden really grabbed me for some reason...it's got kind of the same abstract appeal as Osmos and Eufloria.

Curious about Shooter though. I've watched the trailer and I still have no idea what I'm looking at. Is it similar to Waking Mars?

Shooter is better than both eden and monsters imo

batbeg

One of my top 5 games of the generation though I've still not played the PC version (had it for a while though).

Grayman

Safe to assume this matching the income for the PC port and not all platforms right?

Gabe gave a talk about the deep discounts years ago where 90% off increased revenue over 1000%. He was probably basing that on weekly/monthly but it is still crazy when you are selling something with near zero marginal cost for all parties.

p0rk1ns

Q-Games
Maybe twitter will add some rules against port begging with all the strain gaf is putting on their servers.

I estimate 75% of the posts on Facebook and Twitter are of that variety. I wish we could port PixelJunk to everything, but it's tough with our team size.

Btw, if you missed the sale on Steam, it might be on Amazon for the same price from the 1st. It's sort of a roulette, but I'm crossing my fingers.

HoosTrax

when was this for a dollar?
Won a community vote.
Shooter is better than both eden and monsters imo
Is it frantic or chill, or somewhere in between? I'm kind of inept at twin stick shooters unless I can use WASD + mouse as a crutch.

As far as Monsters and Eden -- I'm kind of jaded when it comes to tower defense games in general. I liked Eden a lot though, until this level where the gravity or wind or something kept changing direction. Drove me nuts.

epmode

Wow. It's like Solar Jetman on NES

It's a lot easier than that! Christ, that game was impossible.

Shooter's a lot less physics-y, if that makes sense. Your ship basically goes wherever you want without having to futz around with thrusters and gravity. It's almost laid-back.

coldfoot

Banned
Won a community vote.

Is it frantic or chill, or somewhere in between? I'm kind of inept at twin stick shooters unless I can use WASD + mouse as a crutch.

Chill at first, more frantic as you progress towards the later levels, it's a really nice game. I had no problems playing it on PS3, it's really not something you want to play with a keyboard, ship placement and movement are key.

KarmaCow

I didn't even know shooter was on PC. Thinking about rebuying it since I sold my ps3.

You just missed the sale on GMG where it along with Monsters was going for $4.5 though that probably means it will be on sale on Steam soon too.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is a known phenomenon. Happens pretty often with low-price Steam sales.

Putting your game on sale for 1/4 the price might get you 12 or 16 times the sales, so you're making a lot more gross income than if you're selling the game full price. And since it's a digital product, not physical, you're not losing anything by selling it that low.

Rlan

I purchased Eden in 2012 on Steam for $3 I think, through the last Steam sales.

Would love to know how well their games have done through The Indie Royale Bundles - PixelJunk Eden was in one a while ago, and I got Monsters Ultimate through another one recently.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Great news for these guys, after the retail PixelJunk PS3 collection plans fell through. I'd still love 'em on a disk somehow but I'm glad these games live on past the PS3.

Tizoc

Thx man for the info, wierd they only have the special edt. for sale but with the voucher code its still 4,50€ cheaper than normal steam version and i had 4€ gmg credit :)

Hah nice, I don't have enough Credit for any DLC or anything but hope you enjoy the last game as I hear it's the best of the 3.

Heysoos

Bought it because I had read some great impressions on GAF, I didn't even know this game had been out for PC for this long. Happy for their success!

Decado

Damn. How much must the DayZ publisher be making, then? $30 and it's been the top selling game practically through the entire sale. Either it is selling insanely well, or everything else can't be doing *that* great.

Grief.exe

Damn. How much must the DayZ publisher be making, then? $30 and it's been the top selling game practically through the entire sale. Either it is selling insanely well, or everything else can't be doing *that* great.

Probably sitting somewhere between 750,000 and 850,000 total sales.

http://dayzgame.com/

Website shows almost 700,000 but that only reflects those that log in and make a character.

Top Bottom