• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

KKRT00

Not ONLY Quality, if u read the Tooltip from "Cartographer´s Chisel" u can read the line: Has greater effect on lower rarity Maps

RARITY... the Maps will have Quality and Rarity. Maybe we will see a 20% Quality Unique Map... no idea how this will work.
Sounds like Torchlight/Mythos Maps System + much customization.

And yes, weapon swap will bring many new Builds like a Duelist which uses a bow and sword with Shield.

edit: yeahe this post is post number 1000 in this Thread :D
Neat, now to imagine that Maps would have random suffixes :p, like minus %resistance/hp on monsters, deal % less damage, +% of rare packs, +% amount of chests etc, +% attack speed for party, +1-3 additional traps You can cast etc

syko de4d

Neat, now to imagine that Maps would have random suffixes :p, like minus %resistance/hp on monsters, deal % less damage, +% of rare packs, +% amount of chests etc, +% attack speed for party, +1-3 additional traps You can cast etc

maybe maybe, we will get more infos about maps in the dev diary early next week.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
maybe maybe, we will get more infos about maps in the dev diary early next week.

I'll definitely be checking this out - I'm intrigued by this whole system.

I also need to say that the skill trees in this game are INCREDIBLE. Anyone who browses this thread needs to take notice of that and look into it a bit.

owlbeak

Bought into the closed beta tonight around 7pm. I planned to play for a couple of hours....it's now 2am.

This game is everything Diablo 3 wishes it was and more. It plays like and reminds me SO much of Diablo II, and the models, textures and map styles are so much more appealing than D3. It has that gritty Diablo 2 look. And the lighting is beautiful, especially in some dark caves. Idefinitely already got my $10 worth. I'll probably end up giving them more money down the road when I have some.

Created a Ranger class and enjoying it, will try out another class tomorrow when I wake up bright and early! Any class recommendations? Was thinking of playing the assassin type of class.

Edit: Also, are there any advanced graphics options other than what's in the menu? Was wondering if this would scale down enough to run on my laptop for when I'm out of town.

KKRT00

Edit: Also, are there any advanced graphics options other than what's in the menu? Was wondering if this would scale down enough to run on my laptop for when I'm out of town.

It runs really well on low end PCs, for example my friend plays on laptop with R4570 and ts6600 2.2ghz dualcore without any problems.

mrNTE

This build videos are great, they really show the non players the possibilities of the game; its very interesting.
First build video I've seen. I have only played the game for a few hours. I guess it takes more time then I have spent playing to come up with a build like that.

KKRT00

When do you stop looking like a bum in the game?

Not soon i imagine ;) Probably we need wait for an expansion where they will have time to redo art of armor pieces or add new ones.
But its not as bad :)
http://i.imgur.com/1UTFP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Vyaky.jpg

First build video I've seen. I have only played the game for a few hours. I guess it takes more time then I have spent playing to come up with a build like that.

Here is another one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEDc5lSk87k

And not GGG featured
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZREskP8KvKA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv1dDiIEmRU

The_Monk

This game is indeed looking good, watching the youtube in 1080p is glorious but my Laptop might not handle it... Just by watching the video he was acting crazy.

But it really does look nice. I remembered when I played Baldur's Gate on my PS2.

The_Monk

There are a lot of low settings. Plus you can play in a window if your pc really can't handle it.

I'm on a MacBook Pro but I have Windows 7 in bootcamp.

My specs are:

2.3 Intel Core i5
4Gb 1333 DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000

I've been away from PC gaming for a long time but I think it's my graphic card that kills the deal in many games I believe? Anyway, thanks a lot for answering.

spirity

They've started awesome thing, a youtube video series with best or most interesting players' builds

First one is already up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEDc5lSk87k

If this video wont sell You on PoE's skills system, there is something wrong with You :)

Teleporting totems, nice! And Grinding Gear is like "we're ok with this, in fact we think its cool". There's a world of difference in attitude between Grinding Gear and Blizzard.

Raxum

Gotta say I'm really looking forward to finding out what the maps are for, but I'm a bit iffy about grinding for the end-game before the open beta now. With a character wipe imminent it just seems like a bit of a waste at this point.

That said, love the idea of that teleporting totem, especially because you could add other damage types to it, or make it stun enemies or something. Now it's just a matter of finding a totem support gem or two...

The only major thing I don't like about this game is that you pretty much have to play a bunch of characters to get the right gems. You might find a few here and there, but its much more reliable to play ranger to get your multiple projectile gem and whatnot. Then use that gem for your "main" character.

Maybe if I traded more with other people I wouldn't have to do that.

syko de4d

The Path of Exile 0.9.11 patch introduces a new end-game system called Maps. We'll be posting a full developer diary about how it works within a few days. In the meantime, here's a screenshot that we took in one of the new end-game areas.

SewerMap.jpg

Here the old first Map 0.9.11 Teaser again

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I hit level 13 or 14 on my Ranger last night. I had to use both my respec points I've accumulated up to this point because the passives "Increase critical strike chance by 15%" or something are misleading. It's a modifier and not a flat boost. Whatever - beta is for learning!

E: Also, first boss in the prison was a lot of fun.

syko de4d

I hit level 13 or 14 on my Ranger last night. I had to use both my respec points I've accumulated up to this point because the passives "Increase critical strike chance by 15%" or something are misleading. It's a modifier and not a flat boost. Whatever - beta is for learning!

E: Also, first boss in the prison was a lot of fun.

yeahe the +XX% Crit Chance things are a little Confusing.

Every Spell has is own Crit Chance
And every Attack Critchance is based on the Weapon Crit chance.

If u have a spell with 5% Critchance, with +100% Crit Chance u would have 10% crit chance with this spell.
A other spell has maybe 4% crit chance and would have 8% crit chance now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just read this on the official forums and was VERY impressed by this.

Yeah, each day the backup is restored to one of our testing realms (we have several for different purposes). Because we don't know the passwords on players' accounts, they are overwritten on the internal realm with a default password so that we can access them.

All of our changes are tested with real player characters at the appropriate levels before they're deployed. We learnt the hard way to not bother fabricating our own characters to test with - we can never get the items quite right. Using a gauntlet of real characters really helps us make sure that it's roughly balanced correctly.

Occasionally we find out interesting things. For example, a long time ago (when the game was a lot easier), a player commented that the game was too hard with one of their characters. When I investigated by playing on a copy of that character, I found that he was using white gear and had a stash full of currency items that could easily have made his lethality and survivability twice as high with little economic cost. We were able to see that he valued hoarding his currency more than being able to progress through the game :)

Basically, the devs play with the SAME characters that we play with (they are actually our characters) in order to balance the mechanics. That is seriously one of the smartest things I've ever heard in terms of figuring out game balance issues.

Raxum

I just read this on the official forums and was VERY impressed by this.

Basically, the devs play with the SAME characters that we play with (they are actually our characters) in order to balance the mechanics. That is seriously one of the smartest things I've ever heard in terms of figuring out game balance issues.

This is a pretty damn awesome way to test, saves them from a lot of trouble with people complaining about balance when they are obviously not playing the game correctly like that guy in all whites.

Also, I can't wait to see the maps and how that all works. Like what level/difficulty will we start seeing the maps drop? I'd assume the last difficulty, but I they could also be making the lowest quality/rarity maps start dropping after the first difficulty and just get better and rarer maps towards the end of the game. What kind of enemies will the add to the map areas? With what kind of drops?! Rather excited for this, almost moreso than Act 3 and all that it implies.

KKRT00

Here is the post detailing the end game map system. It sounds amazing!

Absolutely awesome, the only bad thing about them is they will be only for end-game :) I would love something like that for lvl 30+ also.

BTW this quote is great

History of Path of Exile’s End-Game

Action RPGs typically have three difficulty levels. The player plays through the game several times using the same character, with the challenge ramping up each time. Right back at the start of the project, we thought it would be a great idea to add a fourth difficulty level that was really challenging so that players would have something to aim to beat.

When we tested this, we found that players reacted really badly to a sudden brick wall of difficult content that they were unable to progress in. We tried changing it to a steady ramp of difficulty, but then players found isolated areas where the monster AI was more abusable and farmed those with specific builds to get rewards with little risk.

When trying to solve this, we realised that the fourth difficulty level was only necessary until we added Act Three, at which point we’d reduce it back to three difficulty levels so that we’re not forcing the player to play through the same static content four times back-to-back. Our temporary solution, a month or so before entering Closed Beta last year, was to introduce the Maelstrom of Chaos areas. These were a sequence of random areas (using tilesets from all over the game) with completely random monster packs. Players gained access to it when they finished the final difficulty and could play through a series of levels that gradually ramped in difficulty.

The Maelstrom helped the situation, but players would still travel to areas that were too hard for them and complain that they weren’t able to kill monsters. We eventually flattened all the Maelstrom areas to be the same level, just ramping in density of bosses. By that time we had decided we needed a new, better mechanic for access to end-game areas. Maps will replace the Maelstrom in 0.9.11.

Raxum

Just read the post on the map system, it sounds amazing, and that unique map, just wow. I can't wait for this to hit. Will actually give me a reason to play for a while to see how this goes until the open beta. Anyone know if there'll be a legacy roll-back before this patch?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hot damn, maps are looking even more awesome!

In other news, I finished Act 1 with my Ranger. Boss of the act was surprisingly tough. Her triple shot was painful, the slow effect was insane, and her magic attack was...ow. Finally took her down using poison clouds and some lucky arrow rain shots.

All I have is some basic equipment (a few blues and maybe 2 yellows?) with no multi-shot skill yet...I really need some new skills. Do they ever start dropping?

KKRT00

All I have is some basic equipment (a few blues and maybe 2 yellows?) with no multi-shot skill yet...I really need some new skills. Do they ever start dropping?

Yes, but not before act 2. Support gems are quite high level, like 17+ from what i remember. You will get them also from quests in act 2.

Just read the post on the map system, it sounds amazing, and that unique map, just wow. I can't wait for this to hit. Will actually give me a reason to play for a while to see how this goes until the open beta. Anyone know if there'll be a legacy roll-back before this patch?

Doubt that there will be any other wipe soon except one before Open Beta.

syko de4d

a wipe before the open beta would be really stupid.
GGG wants that the people test the new endgame and how should they test it when they all start from lvl 1 again? ^^

So, no wipe.

V_Arnold

a wipe before the open beta would be really stupid.
GGG wants that the people test the new endgame and how should they test it when they all start from lvl 1 again? ^^

So, no wipe.

They have done it with every numbered update, and it has been stated that they will do it with the opening of the beta as well. People get to endgame in around 1-2 days or even less, so no issues with that even after several wipes.

syko de4d

They have done it with every numbered update, and it has been stated that they will do it with the opening of the beta as well. People get to endgame in around 1-2 days or even less, so no issues with that even after several wipes.

i think they want more then 20-50 people to test the endgame ^^

and here for people who didn´t read everything in the PoE Forum:

GGG said:
"The eventual plan is to have dozens of different types of races in Open Beta and to run several per day on a schedule :)"

It´s some days old but this is another aspect of the Endgame.
I hope u all know about the Weekend Ladder Races, when not here:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/35967/page/1

These are special leagues which are only open for some hours. All Players starting with a new Char and the best players at the End wins prices.

Later PoE will have dozen of different Races, and this every day. This is really an another great idea for Endgame :)
If u don´t want to play u normal char right now u can easily join a League like a Cutthroat league, where everyone can kill everyone and wins some nice prices (because u killed the most players or get the highest lvl) for your normal Chars

V_Arnold

I wanted to participate one of the Weekend Races once, my body was more than ready, then ONE MINUTE after I started rushing towards the camp, my phone started ringing, and it was an important call. GG.

KKRT00

Path of Exile End-Game Maps Overview

- Available after completing Merciless difficulty
- Zones are levels 60+
- There are 45 maps currently, all have unique monster within
- You can upgrade Maps like other items with currency items
- Mods affect Your performance, drop rate, map design (like traps) and monsters difficulty
- There will be unique ones, in patch 0.9.11 only one, but more are planned
- Map will generate 6 portals, if You use it by Yourself, You cant join same zone two times, so You can only get to town one full inventory of loot, if You use small party You will be able to get people in the same instance normally, if You will use 6 man party You will use Map in first run

Shots

map_chisel.png
map_unique.png
map_rare.png
map_magic.png
portals.jpg
map_normal.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So if I read that right, you can only carry one full inventory of loot back, right? So this prevents people from finding loads of crazy rare super items and having to decide what's REALLY worth bringing back?

If so, that is (as Interfectum stated) absolutely brilliant.

syko de4d

So if I read that right, you can only carry one full inventory of loot back, right? So this prevents people from finding loads of crazy rare super items and having to decide what's REALLY worth bringing back?

If so, that is (as Interfectum stated) absolutely brilliant.

No, here from the Dev Diary

GGG said:
In the Eternal Laboratory is a device that allows you to use a Map. The Map is consumed and six portals are created that can be used to travel to the area it represents. The portals close as they are used by players. A party of six players can only enter the Map once and can only leave with six inventories full of items. A smaller group of players will have some portals spare to carry additional items out of the area or re-enter if they die. Players may choose to play alone if they want to use all six portals to complete the area.

So if 6 players start a map, no one can leave/die
If 5 players start a map, one time one of the 5 players can die/leave
One player can use all 6 portals

Top Bottom