• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it okay to use the handicap stall if you're not handicapped?

I was at comic con one year and was disposing of my business in a normal stall when I heard a guy in a wheel chair roll up to the handicap stall and bang on the door. I assume he could see in or something and tell the guy inside wasn't disabled (or at least not in a wheelchair) and kept hollering at the guy to get out and how he really had to go. To be fair the guy was taking an extraordinary amount of time. Shitty situation all around.

At my downtown office we have a handicap (large) stall at a bathroom at the top of a flight of stairs. There is no way a wheelchair could even get in there! But I guess it technically can accommodate other handicaps too.

I don't have much shame and will use them if provided.

You people are animals. They're clearly meant for the handicapped.

The Women's bathroom is also marked but I don't see any of you guys using them either when you need to go...

To make matters worse; when fully able people use the handicapped toilet, they are usually shitting.

You realize how many women use a men's room when the line is long??

I was at comic con one year and was disposing of my business in a normal stall when I heard a guy in a wheel chair roll up to the handicap stall and bang on the door. I assume he could see in or something and tell the guy inside wasn't disabled (or at least not in a wheelchair) and kept hollering at the guy to get out and how he really had to go. To be fair the guy was taking an extraordinary amount of time. Shitty situation all around.

At my downtown office we have a handicap (large) stall at a bathroom at the top of a flight of stairs. There is no way a wheelchair could even get in there! But I guess it technically can accommodate other handicaps too.

I don't have much shame and will use them if provided.
At a large convention, you've got to expect a more diverse crowd. And it's pretty shitty to take a long time in a stall when there's that many people in one place.

At a large convention, you've got to expect a more diverse crowd. And it's pretty shitty to take a long time in a stall when there's that many people in one place.

Yeah, I felt bad. Though I imagine if I was that guy getting yelled at I'm not sure what I'd do.. afraid to come out.. maybe still pooping.. I'm a nervous pooper as it is.. what a mess!

I remember ALWAYS using the handicap stalls in school.too. Way better when no one else could see your shoes and identify you later.

Aselith

Of course. It's my preferred stall at work. If I'm like at a hospital or movie theater or some shit, I'll leave it though because I'm not a monster.

Fliesen

The handicap stall is a stall accessible to both handicapped and non handicapped people. Just like the more spacious seats on the bus or the train.

Since you're unlikely to block it for 20 minutes at a time, as you would, say, a parking spot or a bus seat, it's perfectly fine to use said stall. - which is why the rules are more strict about parking spots. These need to be reserved for the handicapped, otherwise they'd fail their purpose 100% of the time.
Similarly, if you wanna take a 30 minute dump and read a magazine or play Mushroom cup in MK8D on your Switch, maybe pick a regular stall.

Consider it similar to walking up the wheelchair ramp instead of the stairs, or walking into the mall through that door that opens up wide instead of a revolving door. Or using an elevator instead of the escalators.

zoukka

Yes. Just keep it quick and see that there are no people approaching the stall. Better to use the handicap stall than to piss yourself ffs.

1upsuper

I am disabled and I didn't even consider any potential apprehension from bipeds over using the special stalls at all until I saw the Curb episode. Just use whatever stall you need.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Of course, it's got comfy padding and an alarm string to pull in case I need assistance wiping IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION.

Xe4

Banned
Wait the big ones are handicapped? They're never marked. I used them all the time at school cause there was more space to put down my backpack.
Yeah, I legitimately had no clue. Never had a disabled person waiting when I got out, though if I did, I would apologize and move one.

Using a handycap parking is a dick move because people are often gone for hours at a time, and there are often not enough spots otherwise. With a bathroom stall, I can't think of either being too big a deal.

Though, if it's busy and there's a handycap person in line, obviously they get a priority to the stall.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Sure. At work the toilet for handicapped is like toilet #3.

Observation: In Sweden I saw toilets all over the place that were basically universal. One toilet, three signs (female, male, wheelchair). Kinda liked that.

azyless

I do when there's a crazy line at the regular toilets, I don't think they're meant to be strictly reserved to anyone. It's not like it takes me forever in there anyway.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

The Women's bathroom is also marked but I don't see any of you guys using them either when you need to go...

To make matters worse; when fully able people use the handicapped toilet, they are usually shitting.

You'd rather they piss on the seat?

Because that's the only other outcome in a men's bathroom at least.

1upsuper

You all know of handicap is an offensive term and you shouldn't be using it, right?

In case you're serious, no, it's not offensive. Different disabled people have their preferred terms, but by and large it's not offensive. My go-to is "disabled." Sometimes I'll call myself crippled just to make my friends cringe. But uh, don't do that.

Depends on the bathroom layout. If the room is shared and only the stalls are marked, who really cares as long as you leave everything clean.

wedca

You know how a disabled persons reserved parking space is denoted by blue lines instead of white?

I don't see any blue lines around the stall.

As a disabled guy I really don't care as long as you don't make a mess, I know that other people are more bothered by it but I'm not.

I actually got accused of using the disabled toilet when I'm not disabled, the guy got right up in my face so I called the guy an ignorant cunt and my wife had to be physically stopped from lamping him.

I have Cerebral Palsy FFS, okay sometimes it's not bloody obvious but the guy clearly should have thought before opening his mouth.

1upsuper

As a disabled guy I really don't care as long as you don't make a mess, I know that other people are more bothered by it but I'm not.

I actually got accused of using the disabled toilet when I'm not disabled, the guy got right up in my face so I called the guy an ignorant cunt and my wife had to be physically stopped from lamping him.

I have Cerebral Palsy FFS, okay sometimes it's not bloody obvious but the guy clearly should have thought before opening his mouth.

Ugh, shit like that is such a pain. I had a woman bang on my car window once after seeing the handicap sign hanging from the mirror, demanding to know "who in the car is disabled."

Raiden

Banned
Eh only when i have to really go and cant hold it.

Im a bit of a dick all around, but i dont mess with handicapped parking spots or bathrooms.

Now this new parking spot they have for moms with babies at grocery stores ... fuck that ill park my non kids having ass on that even if there is room next to it.

Ugh, shit like that is such a pain. I had a women bang on my car window once after seeing the sign hanging from the mirror, demanding to know "who in the car is disabled."

Yeah I don't get a lot of comments but when I do they are face palm worthy.

My favourite one was when an able-bodied woman asked me why I was waiting for a lift instead of using the stairs, so I said 'well I have Cerebral Palsy and if I use the stairs I'll fall over and break my neck, what's your excuse?'.

She just stood there like a goldfish, opening and closing her mouth before scuttling off.

We have them at the office building(toilet + sink on the same stall), yet no a single handicapped person in the floor. It gets treated as another stall, maybe with a bit more of respect.

For excreting waste they are used as a last resort, as they are taller than standard toilets and harder to use. I have mostly used it to change clothes, since the stall is massive. Most people seem to go there to brush their teeth. Some weird privacy zen thing, I guess.

I asked this question earlier in the thread. Apparently it's not offensive. I always thought it was.

In case you're serious, no, it's not offensive. Different disabled people have their preferred terms, but by and large it's not offensive. My go-to is "disabled." Sometimes I'll call myself crippled just to make my friends cringe. But uh, don't do that.

Actually it is offensive. But..

It depends where your from.

I just wanted to highlight that for the Americans who go apeshit when people don't follow their cultural norms and say something they deem offensive from their culture that such things aren't universal, and that we can take people in good faith.

It's annoying right?

1upsuper

Yeah I don't get a lot of comments but when I do they are face palm worthy.

My favourite one was when an able-bodied woman asked me why I was waiting for a lift instead of using the stairs, so I said 'well I have Cerebral Palsy and if I use the stairs I'll fall over and break my neck, what's your excuse?'.

She just stood there like a goldfish, opening and closing her mouth before scuttling off.

Ouch. As much as I hate dealing with that stuff, in a way it's better than the whispers and pointing that seem to follow me. At least with direct confrontation I can respond. Can't exactly respond to every whisper without becoming the "bitter cripple." It just becomes white noise after a point though, and it's hardly the worst part about this gig, as I'm sure you know! It sure bothered me as a kid though.

Actually it is offensive. But..

It depends where your from.

I just wanted to highlight that for the Americans who go apeshit when people don't follow their cultural norms and say something they deem offensive from their culture that such things aren't universal, and that we can take people in good faith.

It's annoying right?

Would you mind sharing where it's offensive?

DBT85

My friend in a chair has no issue with non chair users using his shitter. What pisses him off is bars and pubs using them to store chairs or other shit.

Where I used to work, the disabled toilet was almost never used, as it was a small company with no disabled workers that I knew of. We did used to have clients come into the office for meetings sometimes, but I'd never seen one who was disabled.

In which case, I used to use the disabled toilet exclusively. It was an entire room, seat was cushioned and the entire facility was spotless, because nobody used it. Felt like being a king with my own private loo... soooo good.

Ouch. As much as I hate dealing with that stuff, in a way it's better than the whispers and pointing that seem to follow me. At least with direct confrontation I can respond. Can't exactly respond to every whisper without becoming the "bitter cripple." It just becomes white noise after a point though, and it's hardly the worst part about this gig, as I'm sure you know! It sure bothered me as a kid though.

Would you mind sharing where it's offensive?

Sure, in the UK and Ireland.

It was the norm in the 80's and phased out, now only disabled is ever used.
Sometimes in fact now, toilets are referred to as Accessible toilets to avoid saying disabled.

(It's also more correct grammatically, as disabled toilet implies a toilet that isn't working.)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

I've used the "solo" women's bathroom when I've had to really go before and the male single room bathroom was in use. A toilet's a toilet and no ones going to appreciate me shitting my pants.

To answer OPs question, of course I'll use it. I usually prefer it since I don't do well in cramped spaces. If I ever run into a disabled person in the bathroom, which I never have, they get dibs. I'm never pooping for too long anyways.

Jezbollah

HBFdB37.gif

Flawless.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
What the? Is this even a thing? I've never once held up a handicap person by using one of those. I mean sure if they're all open I'll use the smaller one and urinals first but why would I wait? I mean what are the odds of an actual handicap person walking in at that moment? Also my bathroom trips aren't that long

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
You know how a disabled persons reserved parking space is denoted by blue lines instead of white?

I don't see any blue lines around the stall.

See this I view as different because normally there are other parking spots available. Sometimes a bathroom only has one stall and it's handicapped

Kthulhu

I saw a woman walk into the men's restroom when the line for the women's restroom was too long.

Top Bottom