• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Haven't kept up with Gears4 but am interested in the PC version. Store page says cross platform multilayer but I'm guessing this is only for co-op?
Apparently, that's the case for Horde and campaign co-op, which is a bummer because I was hoping to play competitive with my old crew I had from last gen.

How do I get the Gears 1-3 games if I pre-ordered the UE from the Xbox Store on Windows?
You get an Xbox One. They're backwards compatible versions that you own but won't be able to play unless you have an Xbox.

rrc1594

Apparently, that's the case for Horde and campaign co-op, which is a bummer because I was hoping to play competitive with my old crew I had from last gen.

You get an Xbox One. They're backwards compatible versions that you own but won't be able to play unless you have an Xbox.

You can also do custom matches with cross-play. Just no MM

I find this limitation super lame.

People should have the option of opting out of cross platform competitive play. Keeping both platforms separate is just stupid.

Great OT, if I am fan of more actual text instead of text in images. Anyway, I cannot wait for 6pm GMT+1 when I can finally play the campaign. Excited to see how the critics review it. I am betting on 88-92 average.

You have cross-play for private matches as well. Just no PvP matchmaking.

Granjinha

What, there's no cross platform multiplayer?

Man that stinks. Not sure if I can justify the purchase now.

There is for all co-op modes (Campaign and Horde), for PvP there's no crossplay on matchmaking. Private Matches are still in though.

I mean, it's pretty obvious why they did this. It would suck otherwise, given the natural advantage that M+KB give.

I already have an Xbox One S and they aren't in my games list.

It's only competitive MP that isn't cross platform.

And who knows. They've been very receptive to fan feedback. We may get something in the future.

I've included 2 in the OP.

There is but only for SP co-op, horde mode, and private matches between xbox and pc players

There is for all co-op modes (Campaign and Horde), for PvP there's no crossplay on matchmaking. Private Matches are still in though.

I mean, it's pretty obvious why they did this. It would suck otherwise, given the natural advantage that M+KB give.
Yeah, I'm aware. It's just disappointing because MP was the big thing for me.

And I don't honestly see the big advantage with M&KB. It's not an FPS and it's more about cover, timing and other mechanics rather than aiming.

JimiNutz

Banned
Gears of War basically got me back into gaming and last gen it was easily my favourite franchise.

Since then I've kind of soured on the series and honestly had no hype for this at all... But goddamn the hype has got me and I am IN!

Unfortunately I am away for this whole weekend and won't be back until Tuesday, so early access is a waste for me but I will join you all on Tuesday!

I wonder if it's possible to create a playlist that would only allow gamepads on PC to allow for competitive to be added. I would gladly hook up my 360 controller if I could play with my Xbox friends (Custom games aren't ideal, but better than nothing).

Granjinha

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner/status/783921155337879553

My Gears of War 4 review hits in 15 minutes.

That's the game informer dude.

I wonder if it's possible to create a playlist that would only allow gamepads on PC to allow for competitive to be added. I would gladly hook up my 360 controller if I could play with my Xbox friends (Custom games aren't ideal, but better than nothing).

Technically, i imagine it would. Wouldn't stop hacking on PC side to "fake" gamepad even using KB+M.

Yeah, a system like that would be great.

But I doubt M&KB is the actual reason we don't have cross platform multiplayer. Do people think it has that big of an advantage?
Technically, i imagine it would. Wouldn't stop hacking on PC side to "fake" gamepad even using KB+M.
I don't see why anyone would bother with that (considering the small gain), but Microsoft's unstoppable security measures, UWP, would make that impossible anyway. Why else would they force UWP on all developers.

Gowans

Tuesday is going to be a long wait for standards.

Surprised in how many of my mates are jumping on this one.

krang

Look at twitch streams, it's not. Everyone is running around with bright pink guns that you can spot from a mile away.

It's silly and cringe inducing. What's the point in having a game with dark atmosphere like Gears only to ruin it with my little pony colors? I don't get it.

If people didn't like it, they wouldn't choose them. If they like running around with fluorescent-coloured guns, then they're doing it because they think it's fun, and therefore the developers have succeeded.

Xater

Look at twitch streams, it's not. Everyone is running around with bright pink guns that you can spot from a mile away.

It's silly and cringe inducing. What's the point in having a game with dark atmosphere like Gears only to ruin it with my little pony colors? I don't get it.

I pick colors like that because of people like you. ;)

gow3isben

Reviews seem decent. All I want is a nice linear campaign at least 10 hours long with some nice set-pieces thrown in. I know the controls will be flawless. Looks like I am getting just that.

Karak

Enjoy guys. Great game.
My GFX comparison Xbox through Ultra will go up at 7:01 when that part of the embargo breaks.

iFirez

Is there horde matchmaking does anyone know? It's one of my favourite co-op game inclusions ever and I'd love to play t Gears 4. Most of the guys I used to game with however don't game anymore or never got Xbox Ones.

If I ordered the game off Hong Kong store from Xbox.com and let it auto download on my Xbox , do I need to change my region on X1 to make sure it unlocks at 12am HK time?

My only complaint from watching streams is that there seems to be too few skins/characters to unlock.

Hopefully more get added with monthly updates

My only complaint from watching streams is that there seems to be too few skins/characters to unlock.

Hopefully more get added with monthly updates

There are
characters right now. Countless of weapon skins, like in the hundreds, there are
skins for the Gnasher alone.

Karak

How is the HDR for this karak?

I discuss it in the review. I feel that due to the way the game explores particular locations many of them neon soaked caverns that in the end i like this more than the HDR in Forza. But honestly I had that shit dialed in. So...probably equal. Noticeable and brilliant at times. There is a storm I talk about in my review and its shocking to see lighting in the game. I mean its otherwordly compared to normal tv's

Mdk7

Stunning OP, amazing design job there!
As I wrote in the review thread, I personally enjoyed the game (I frankly expected something less entertaining and inspired, after having played it at E3), and I'm eager to play a lot more multiplayer matches.
A quick recap of my impressions

Pros:
Impressive graphics
Fun and entertaining campaign (even the DeeBees are better than expected, and they bring some good new weapons along!)
Still the best gunplay ever
Marcus is as cool as he ever was
Superb multiplayer

Cons:
Shallow new cast
Bad campaign ending (not the epilogue per se, but I absolutely didn't like the last 20' of the campaign)
Campaign co-op limited to two players (could have been at least three)
Gameplay is still fun and rewarding, but feels a bit stale as well

There are
characters right now. Countless of weapon skins, like in the hundreds, there are
skins for the Gnasher alone.

Honestly, the roster of characters is the most disappointing thing about the game for me. It's a bit ridiculous how many characters form previous games are missing.

I assume they're going to be hold hostage and used in DLC drops later but the starting roster of characters is quite pathetic in my opinion.

Impulsor

I discuss it in the review. I feel that due to the way the game explores particular locations many of them neon soaked caverns that in the end i like this more than the HDR in Forza. But honestly I had that shit dialed in. So...probably equal. Noticeable and brilliant at times. There is a storm I talk about in my review and its shocking to see lighting in the game. I mean its otherwordly compared to normal tv's
I'm about to get my coffee and sit down to watch and enjoy your review.

I can't wait to see this in hdr.

Thanks!

Also looks like it's coming out that Horde requires an internet connection to play, even in private matches. Apparently this is due to the fact that all private matches are on dedicated servers.

Not confirmed yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for Versus as well.

Theorry

Also looks like it's coming out that Horde requires an internet connection to play, even in private matches. Apparently this is due to the fact that all private matches are on dedicated servers.

Not confirmed yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for Versus as well.

There is a lan mode also.

Moofers

I just found out Horde is only playable online. No playing private games offline, period. That sucks so bad, my enthusiasm just took a hit. One of my favorite things to do with Gears 3 was play solo horde after the community dried up and finding matches was hard.

I guess in 10 years when the servers are offline we won't be playing Horde. I really hate that. No setting up private LANs at conventions like PAX or MGC either.

Man, I'm bummed.

Top Bottom