• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

My incredibly well thought-out theory that Tom is an alien does not seem to be sweeping the internet as I'd hoped...think about it man. The Tolkien Estate is hiding the truth from us man.

That's it, I'm starting a blog.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My incredibly well thought-out theory that Tom is an alien does not seem to be sweeping the internet as I'd hoped...think about it man. The Tolkien Estate is hiding the truth from us man.

I like my theory that the entwives all left to hookup with Tom

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'd go along with that, I mean just look at him:

ieQ3T0Fwwbc1X.jpg

Now you hear Tom's voice in your head saying;

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow!
Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

The last paragraph is chilling :"And one dark night the old trees will march westward into the Shire to feed their ancient hatred. And Bombadil will dance down amongst them, clad in his true shape at last, singing his incomprehensible rhymes as the trees mutter their curses and the black and terrible Barrow-Wights dance and gibber around him. And he will be smiling."

I don't know about everyone else but I always loved Tom Bombadil

Interesting read. The only thing that doesn't quite make sense to me is, what would Gandalf's reasoning be for keeping it secret if he knew more than he was letting on?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Schattenjäger;42275457 said:
Just started reading it again after 15 years since the last time - still love it

Anyone else start re-reading ?
It's pretty much my book of choice when travelling, along with The Count of Monte Cristo. So, I tend to be reading quite often, just random chapters here and there.

jaxword

It's already suffered a takedown but the Comic-Con footage seems to have leaked online?

Shouldn't be a surprise that one of the most anticipated movies of ALL TIME is getting 1000 times more scrutiny. Some interns probably have a script to check "Hobbit trailer leaked" in google every minute.

bengraven

10 am tomorrow?

Oh yes, it will be on just after I drop my kid off for school.

Also, adore that Rivendell shot. I'm excited for summer Rivendell this time.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Shouldn't be a surprise that one of the most anticipated movies of ALL TIME is getting 1000 times more scrutiny. Some interns probably have a script to check "Hobbit trailer leaked" in google every minute.
One thing's for sure, Smaug's appearance will not be leaked.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Edmond Dantès;42280083 said:

It's a shame, though, that with there being a whole Smaug Movie now, it'll be basically impossible that he won't be in the trailers.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's a shame, though, that with there being a whole Smaug Movie now, it'll be basically impossible that he won't be in the trailers.
They'll tease his appearance, his voice certainly, but he won't be revealed in all his magnificence until we're sat in the theater in 2013 for the first time.

Loxley

jaxword

Edmond Dantès;42280083 said:

Seem to recall people saying that about Anakin in ep 3, and:

LeOam.jpg

The fried Anakin was leaked about a year before the movie came out. Maybe earlier, the timeline is a bit dirty.

Yeah Gollum's eyes look too big to me but the rest of the CGI detail is amazing.

I hope they go back to LOTR and re-do all of the Gollum scenes with better lighting and textures.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;42280685 said:
It‘ll be great to see another culture from Middle-earth and their unique architecture.

Definitely. WETA pretty much have the Oscars for Costume, Make-Up, and Production Design in the bag at this point. With the fanboy-nit pick of Kili not being blonde I have yet to actually see anything from the production that I didn't like the look of. They've really left no stone un-turned as far as detail goes (which isn't all that surprising seeing as they made a name for themselves with that kind of work-ethic on LotR).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Seem to recall people saying that about Anakin in ep 3, and:

LeOam.jpg

The fried Anakin was leaked about a year before the movie came out. Maybe earlier, the timeline is a bit dirty.
Indeed, but LOTR fared differently, no one from the general public had any idea what the Balrog looked like, save his foot which was in a trailer.

jaxword

Edmond Dantès;42281252 said:
Indeed, but LOTR fared differently, no one from the general public had any idea what the Balrog looked like, save his foot which was in a trailer.

That's true, but Tolkien has entered the public consciousness to the level of Star Wars nowadays. Meaning that the millions (billions?) of new LOTR fans will be looking for any Hobbit news to a similar level as Anakin. Obviously not as high as that's 20 years of anticipation versus 9 years, but still...that's a pretty intense fandom.

Loxley

That's it, I'm convinced this will be one of the most beautiful movies made to date.

Man, give PJ $250 million and he will give you a fucking movie O.O

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
anyone have any more links to that footage?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
All this movie is gonna do is make me super-friggin annoyed every time I watch Fellowship and hear Gandalf tell Bilbo he "hasn't aged a day."

YEAH OKAY

Erigu

I agree that Gollum's eyes seem a bit too blue...
And something feels a bit off about that picture of Gandalf with the dwarves. I kinda wonder how they're dealing with size differences now that they're filming in 3D.
Aside from that, of course...

^ Gollum looks way off in those pics, like really detailed but obviously CGI.. Im having flashbacks to King Kong. Either way, the movie looks amazing, but the CG is really sticking out to me in the backdrops, etc.

The "power rankings" in Tolkien go like this:

At the top is Illuvatar (or Eru). Basically god.

Below him are the Ainur. His angels. They're unofficially separated in two groups. The Valar (archangels) and the Maiar (lesser angels) and are usually associated with a Vala. Morgoth (or Melkor as is his proper name) was a Vala. Sauron was a Maia. The wizards, called Istari, were Maiar sent to Middle Earth by the Valar to help the Children of Illuvatar (humans and elves, dwarves are a special case) combat Sauron (a Maiar himself). Why five of them against one? Because they were strictly forbiden by the Valar to directly use their powers and were ony to act as aides and counselors to the mortal races.

So Gandalf (his name among the uncultured northeners, Mithrandir for the higher born ones and Olorin for the High Elves and the Ainur) and the others are incarnations of lesser angels basically. They are made of flesh, they can be hurt and they can take pleasure in things like food and drink and weed, but they do not age and they cannot die. When the balrog mortally wounded Gandalf at Khazad Dum, Manwe (the Lord of the Valar) basically sent him back to finish his work. They know who they are and at least Gandalf remembers everything. Saruman too, but chose to pervert his mission into one of control and subjugation. Radagast (the brown wizard) went native and couldn't give a shit about this whole thing and the blue wizards (Atanar and Pallando) went into the east and no one ever heard of them again.

Edmond Dantès;42262548 said:
The Wizards (Istari) are Ainu of Maiar (equivalent of lesser angels) rank. The Ainu are spirits that Eru Iluvatar (God in Tolkien's legendarium) created. The very first beings. After the creation of Arda the Valar (most powerful of the Ainu, equivalent of the Archangels) descended into Arda to shape it into something habitable for the coming of the Children of Iluvatar (elves, men; dwarves were regarded as stepchildren of Eru). The Valar and Maiar could thus take on the whatever form they deemed fit for whatever purpose. The likes of the Valar could even take on the forms of mountains etc.

However, if a body which they took was destroyed it would become increasingly difficult to create a new one to house themselves as Sauron eventually found out. In some cases they were bound to certain bodies by Eru until those bodies were destroyed (Melkor in his Dark Lord Visage for example).

The Wizard's 'old man' raiment was chosen for them by the Valar. The point was to restrict their powers and for them to not appear to powerful to the inhabitants of Middle-earth in the Third Age. They were sages, guides sent to aid the free peoples of Middle-earth. Not warriors sent to take on Sauron directly with brute force.

Sauron on the other hand was never restricted in this regard and his original raiment was of a very beautiful form. At the height of his power with his original body that he had crafted for himself, which was capable of shape shifting (snake, werewolf, bat) and with the One Ring, he was more powerful than his master (Melkor) at his lowest at the end of the First Age. That in itself is quite something as Melkor was second only to god at one point in time.

The Valar were far beyond the Maiar in terms of inherent might and power. It is said that even the most powerful of the Maiar (including Gandalf and Eönwë) would have succumbed to the will of the One Ring before the Crack of Doom just as Frodo did and Isildur before him and the elves would have shared the same fate. The Valar would have had no such problem. The One Ring would have no effect on them, as it was created by a lesser being than them.

That's one reason why some people theorise that Tom Bombadil may have been a Valar, not just a mere Maiar. But that's a whole nother complicated issue.

And to your final point, yes, they knew exactly who they were and what their purpose was. They knew their original names, which they used in Valinor and they most likely spoke to each other in Valarin, the language of the Valar. To quote Pengolodh "The making of a lambe [language] is the chief character of an Incarnate. The Valar, having arrayed them in this manner, would inevitably during their long sojourn in Arda have made a lambe for themselves"

The original names of the five wizards.

Saruman was known as Curumo.
Gandalf was known as Olorin.
Radagast was known as Aiwendil.
Alatar was known as Morinehtar.
Pallando was known as Rómestámo.

Cool, thanks for the replies..I really need to re-read the franchise soon, but Im not going to do it until after all three Hobbit films. I want to remember as little as possible going in to the Hobbit.

It's already suffered a takedown but the Comic-Con footage seems to have leaked online? Screencaps here:

Major Spoilers.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.358039247610671.85422.139738612774070&type=3

Via OneRing.Net

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09/18/61941-alternate-production-video-8-reveals-con-footage/

The new bts footage looks so good, wow.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Becoming ever increasingly convinced that I'll favour The Hobbit trilogy over The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Those shots are particularly lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom