• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
glad you're enjoying it man. the ds9 marathon i had is one of my more pleasant tv watching memories ever.

and i have to admit that any time i see a cardassian out of makeup it weirds me out. i got so used to seeing gul dukat being gul dukat, and when that illusion is broken in such a physical way, i just feel like something ain't right.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
beelzebozo said:
glad you're enjoying it man. the ds9 marathon i had is one of my more pleasant tv watching memories ever.

and i have to admit that any time i see a cardassian out of makeup it weirds me out. i got so used to seeing gul dukat being gul dukat, and when that illusion is broken in such a physical way, i just feel like something ain't right.

He showed up in TNG a few times in less makeup.

Frederick_La_Rouque.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
aghhh! that looks like dukat of the three musketeers.

no to pollute this thread with topics outside star trek, but as a fan of ds9, should i revisit battlestar galactica? i watched the opening movie and the first episode of the first season and just wasn't that into it. is it worth giving it another chance? i hear so many comparisons between the two series that i'm tempted to pick up the first season for the hell of it.

besada

Banned
beelzebozo said:

no to pollute this thread with topics outside star trek, but as a fan of ds9, should i revisit battlestar galactica? i watched the opening movie and the first episode of the first season and just wasn't that into it. is it worth giving it another chance? i hear so many comparisons between the two series that i'm tempted to pick up the first season for the hell of it.

I really enjoyed the first two seasons. It starts to wander a bit, but it's still worth watching, I think.

If you like your space dark and gritty, then you should enjoy it.

Zenith

Banned
beelzebozo said:

I ended up bailing either in season 2 or 3. just got too depressing. the writers seem to really hate women. nearly every ep has one getting beaten, raped, stabbed or shot. and of course with the whole cylon resurrection thing they can do it to them over and over and over...

beelzebozo said:

The initial miniseries didn't do much for me, but when people started enjoying the series I caught up mid-season 1 and have been enjoying it quite since. Though if I remember which was the first episode of the series proper (33?), I think I liked that one.
beelzebozo said:
i guess there aren't any ferengi-esque aliens around to lighten the mood on b.s.g. then, heh
:lol Yeah, that is very much true.

besada

Banned
WTF is Riker (even if it's Tom) doing in my DS9?

And he's rubbing his filthy beard-lips on Kira. The horror.

besada said:
WTF is Riker (even if it's Tom) doing in my DS9?

And he's rubbing his filthy beard-lips on Kira. The horror.
:lol Question: How are you watching these episodes? Do you have them on DVD?

And I stopped watching BSG regularly around the middle of the third season. The show became melodramatic and I hated what was happening to Starbuck and Gaius.

Cheebs

Dax01 said:

And I stopped watching BSG regularly around the middle of the third season. The show became melodramatic and I hated what was happening to Starbuck and Gaius.
you stopped watching bsg but you own every season of voyager? *head explodes*

Cheebs said:
you stopped watching bsg but you own every season of voyager? *head explodes*
The key word in there is regularly (as in when it was airing new episodes, same thing is happening with T: SCC). I own every season of BSG too.

besada

Banned
Dax01 said:

My library has them on DVD. Has TOS and TNG, too, but no VOY or ENT. Or TAS, which I'd love to see again.

besada

Banned
Extra geek points to DS9 for doing an episode centered around a solar sail.

There are some weak episodes in the middle of season three, but it started really well, and towards the end it's ramping back up.

I now love Garak. And the Garak and Odo episode on the Romulan ship is one of my favorites, so far.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
besada said:
Extra geek points to DS9 for doing an episode centered around a solar sail.

There are some weak episodes in the middle of season three, but it started really well, and towards the end it's ramping back up.

I now love Garak. And the Garak and Odo episode on the Romulan ship is one of my favorites, so far.

That two parter (Improbable Cause and the Die is Cast) has some of the best setup and payoff I have ever seen. Probably the best two parter in Trek (edges Best of Both Worlds for me).

Garak's last line is so sad.
"You know what the sad part is, Odo? I'm a very good tailor."

BorkBork said:
That two parter (Improbable Cause and the Die is Cast) has some of the best setup and payoff I have ever seen. Probably the best two parter in Trek (edges Best of Both Worlds for me).

Garak's last line is so sad.
"You know what the sad part is, Odo? I'm a very good tailor."

Without Garak DS9 would have been total weaksauce. He always kept things interesting.

BorkBork

It's pretty sad to realize that Garak had more character development than 90% of the cast from Voyager and Enterprise put together.

maximum360 said:
Without Garak DS9 would have been total weaksauce. He always kept things interesting.
Don't do that. Besides, DS9 would still have Gul Dukat, and you're acting like Garak was the only good character on DS9.

Clevinger

Does Garak get better/more interesting after The Wire? So far his character is good, but I don't see what's so amazing about him yet.

Holtz

Clevinger said:
Does Garak get better/more interesting after The Wire? So far his character is good, but I don't see what's so amazing about him yet.
Yes, he gets developed thoughout the show.

besada

Banned
Dax01 said:
You should be near the end of season 3, right?

Watched the finale last night.

Improbable Cause/Die is Cast was amazingly good. Just about a perfect Star Trek set. I briefly hated Garak for what he did to Odo, but the ending was very touching.

Sapiens

Clevinger said:

Garak is such an expertly written and played character that DS9 wouldn't be the same without him.

DS9 really rewarded the people who watched the show week to week. Even the secondary characters were deeper than primary characters on other trek shows.

MC Safety said:
They showed Star Trek: Generations on the cable TV today.

I was reminded how bad it was. What a sad ending for James Kirk.
At different times it's left me dissatisfied in different ways. Back in 1994 I was primarily a TNG fan and hadn't been even that for long, so I didn't fully appreciate what a big deal a Kirk/Picard crossover was. Now that I'm twice as old and a long-time fan of the Trek franchise in general I can appreciate the idea, but the execution sucks.

About DS9's recurring characters, I like how some of them ended up being in more episodes than a two-season TOS regular like Chekov.

besada said:
Watched the finale last night.

Improbable Cause/Die is Cast was amazingly good. Just about a perfect Star Trek set. I briefly hated Garak for what he did to Odo, but the ending was very touching.
Post your impressions after "The Way of the Warrior," which is the first episode of season 4.

besada

Banned
Dax01 said:
Post your impressions after "The Way of the Warrior," which is the first episode of season 4.

It started a little slow, but once it ramped up it kicked some mighty fine ass.

Great seeing Worf again. Kira's super-short hair was better. Hawk (bald Sisko with the goatee) is in da hizouse. Seeing DS9 throw some major-league heat was nice. I like watching Odo beat up on Klingons, although Rene Auberjonois must be in his late forties on the show.

So, basically the Founders have managed to destroy a big chunk of the Cardassian, Romulan, and Klingon fleets without attacking first. Starfleet needs smarter people running the show, but that's always been true. Star Trek has always pictured Starfleet Command as a bunch of drooling imbeciles while the Captains of various star ships are brave, brilliant, and glorious.

I've seen DS9 four times already. I'm afraid if I watch it anymore, I'll start not appreciate it as much as I like.

You're next episode is "The Visitor!":D Such an awesome episode.

Dax01 said:
I've seen DS9 four times already. I'm afraid if I watch it anymore, I'll start not appreciate it as much as I like.

You really need a girlfriend, Dax01...

So you can watch the series again. Together.

Anobyl

I just finished Enterprise season 4 and had to say
it's bullshit how 1) it was a TNG episode and 2) how Tripp died. Felt to me like they only killed him because he was the best character on the show.

besada

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Looking it up he was born in 1940, so where you are right now he'd be 55, I think.

Even older than I thought. I knew he was old because I watched him as a young man on freaking Benson.

Dax01 said:
It's kind of hard to find a girl who is in to science-fiction as much as I am. :lol

Or you give a little, you receive a little.

You sit through some Sex and the City and those model/weight loss reality shows and then you can show her some Trek.

besada

Banned
Dax01 said:
It's kind of hard to find a girl who is in to science-fiction as much as I am. :lol

My wife loves science fiction, so keep hope alive. She hasn't watched all the DS9 with me (as Star Trek is not her favorite flavor of science fiction) but she's watched some of them.

She also likes anime and video games.

Anobyl said:
I just finished Enterprise season 4 and had to say
it's bullshit how 1) it was a TNG episode and 2) how Tripp died. Felt to me like they only killed him because he was the best character on the show.
Yeah, that episode is a bit of a kick in the balls. I don't think I've ranted at such length about any other television episode.

BorkBork

Just watched the last few episodes of DS9's Season 7. It's really good overall, but I don't remember Tacking into the Wind being so damn good. Casey Biggs is incredible as Damar, his dialog with Kira was fabulous.

Damar: "What kind of state tolerates the murder of innocent women and children? What kind of people give those orders?"

Kira: "Yeah, Damar--what kind of people give those orders?"

I mean, DAMN.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I discovered tonight that Denise Crosby was almost 30 years old when she played Tasha in Next Generation.

She showed up in Prison Break and looked pretty old, I never would have guessed she was 51.

besada

Banned
So, are the prophets Bajorans from the future, living in the timeless void of the the wormhole?

That would be sweet.

besada said:
So, are the prophets Bajorans from the future, living in the timeless void of the the wormhole?

That would be sweet.
What did you think of "The Visitor?"

And no, I don't think they are, but it's a possibility I guess.

Walshicus

Dax01 said:

Learned the other day that the girl in that episode is the daughter of the guy who plays Garak...

besada

Banned
Dax01 said:

I really liked it. It made me wobbly-eyed. Any show about writers and fathers is likely to do that to me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
For UK-ers, they're running TNG on Bravo at night now.. saw the episode with Picard's Cardassian interrogation the other night.

Is Bravo the only channel in the UK re-running TNG?

gofreak said:
For UK-ers, they're running TNG on Bravo at night now.. saw the episode with Picard's Cardassian interrogation the other night.

Is Bravo the only channel in the UK re-running TNG?

You can see all the channels ST is on at Memory Alpha. I'm at work so I can't check but I thought I saw Virgin 1 shows it during the day, too. I've only got Freeview so I'm stuck with Voyager at 8!

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
MMaRsu said:
Sorry to hate but Voyager > all.

There I said it.
Yeah I'm in that minority too, but to be fair I've only ever watched Voyager regularly (Sky One used to have a thing for ST series! You couldn't avoid them even if you wanted to :lol). Not into ST or SW though, so I don't think that my opinion counts.

Although, I'm ashamed to admit that I did watch ENT solely because I thought captain Archer was a true hottie! yum! :D

Top Bottom