• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Aizo

Banned
This portion of Secret Empire today felt pretty cathartic

Secret_Empire_Miles.png

But yeah, I'm already burnt out. The fact that Marvel already went full into damage control mode to assure people that the status quo will be back to normal soon sucked any tension out of the series.

I'm also of the opinion that Secret Empire, on it's own is actually a pretty solid story. It just came out at the worst possible time, after a decade plus of Hero vs Hero event fatigue and the current real-world political climate being a nightmare.
I do wonder what it'd be like to experience it in a vacuum. They really did ruin the tension by announcing legacy. I don't really care when anything happens because I know it'll all change.

Messi

I do wonder what it'd be like to experience it in a vacuum. They really did ruin the tension by announcing legacy. I don't really care when anything happens because I know it'll all change.

Marvel Comics 101 announce your next event mid current event so as to maximise the knee capping.

Malyse

Suicide Squad: Harley is terrifying.

So I was looking at the list for Metal and it looks like I only have two issues co-opted by the event. V cool.

Ain't that the truth lol :( also I don't think that reading order mentions The Snake & The Magician from the Screw On Head book but it adds some interesting thought to Hellboy In Hell and how it ends, so there's that.

What other Mignola books are worth checking out besides the Hellboy-verse stuff?

VanWinkle

Been reading more of Perez WW and really enjoying it. Seems to be going for the same scale of setting and tone as Simonson's Thor. Such lovely art and he always draws such great hair.

Thumbs up. Loved this stuff. Of the stuff I've read so far, it's DEFINITELY at its best when Perez is on writing AND art duties, but it continues to be good.

What other Mignola books are worth checking out besides the Hellboy-verse stuff?

In terms of writing himself, the Amazing Screw On Head & others book pretty much collects it all outside of HB, although he has an OGN coming this October which looks rad (help me out folks if I've forgot anything)

Co-writing as in passing scripting off to someone else, the stuff he has done with Chris Golden has been pretty great. That's Baltimore, which is done now, and Joe Golem which is just ramping up. Those are easily on par with the various Mignolaverse side books like witchfinder etc. Mignola's hands aren't on it but Imo Arcudi is as much the co-creator of the BPRD as Mig is so I'd recommend his book with James Harren at Image, Rumble. Really really great 3 volume thing right now (hopefully there will be more :( )

I suppose it's worth mentioning Grim Death, that's the only novel of his I've read. I really like the subject matter and the concept, I think it'll make a great comic book when they inevitably bring it over but as an actual novel the actual writing is very dull, very simple and straight forward.

I have to imagine it's one of the stories that'll end up being better once it is in trade, and removed from all the bullshit surrounding it.

Been getting back into Morrison's JLA recently. So much fun especially with the cast expanding (Plastic Man!). I just got to DC One Million and I'm about halfway through and it's such a pleasant event, especially compared to the usual stuff we get nowadays from the big two where everything is going to change the universe forever and all that. There's no bullshit and it just goes smoothly.

Also reread that one Spider-Man annual that Fraction did before OMD. I really miss his work with Marvel and it's a huge shame we never got him on a Spidey ongoing. I really think he could've done a character defining run like he did with Iron Fist and Hawkeye. He just gets what makes Pete and MJ work and it's such a fantastic issue.

Renew Your Vows is pretty solid so far at least. I got around to reading last week's issue and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The family angle works really well here.

That spidey annual is one of my favorite spidey stories ever. So bitter reading it when it came out because I knew they were going to retcon the marriage. Which I'm still bitter about

Sandfox

I like how Spencer had Captain Marvel admit
that the events of CW2 and Secret Empire are all her fault. She even says that she it was about trying to prove herself and she "tried to get everyone to love her, but only made them hate her", which is obviously a nod to the readers.

Wait, I thought it was a one shot. It's supposed to be an ongoing?

Someone needs to make a chart explaining legacy and everything surrounding it.

Legacy is a one shot.

Aizo

Banned
Just read The Omega Men.

The ending. Wow. Hmm. What am I supposed to feel about The Omega Men? In the end, as Rayner said, we are all the same? We are all savages. We are all civilized. I have a hard time believing Primus doing what he does. Kalista... was pretty evil all the way through, really.

The last couple pages felt like a setup for something, but nothing follows this series, right?

In the end, I felt that it was good, but we skip through 182 days of the war in several pages. I feel that it could've been longer. Tigorr didn't have much development, and Primus didn't get that much either. I feel a bit unsatisfied, but it was good. Scrapps was my favorite character, but it was a bit lame that she's stopped from killing the one she has the most reason to just so Kalista could be theatrical. The whole "we are better than him" thing is such tripe. You kill so many people, but you should forgive the worst one? That's illogical to me. Be consistent with your murder. Then Primus goes on to kill tons of unarmed civilians during his rule? Does not compute.

VanWinkle

Just read The Omega Men.

The ending. Wow. Hmm. What am I supposed to feel about The Omega Men? In the end, as Rayner said, we are all the same? We are all savages. We are all civilized. I have a hard time believing Primus doing what he does. Kalista... was pretty evil all the way through, really.

The last couple pages felt like a setup for something, but nothing follows this series, right?

In the end, I felt that it was good, but we skip through 182 days of the war in several pages. I feel that it could've been longer. Tigorr didn't have much development, and Primus didn't get that much either. I feel a bit unsatisfied, but it was good. Scrapps was my favorite character, but it was a bit lame that she's stopped from killing the one she has the most reason to just so Kalista could be theatrical. The whole "we are better than him" thing is such tripe. You kill so many people, but you should forgive the worst one? That's illogical to me. Be consistent with your murder. Then Primus goes on to kill tons of unarmed civilians during his rule? Does not compute.

King was making a very focused commentary on war. One, that endless days of battle are monotonous and eventually blur together (thus not needing more page space). And, two, the lines of morality get more and more unclear the more animalistic we become. Regarding Primus, it was a tragic bit of irony for him to find that a position of power begets authority and stern rule. After all, we find that the "bad guy" (I can't remember his name) was not without his own good intentions.

Aizo

Banned
King was making a very focused commentary on war. One, that endless days of battle are monotonous and eventually blur together (thus not needing more page space). And, two, the lines of morality get more and more unclear the more animalistic we become. Regarding Primus, it was a tragic bit of irony for him to find that a position of power begets authority and stern rule. After all, we find that the "bad guy" (I can't remember his name) was not without his own good intentions.
I feel like just seeing it all from a distance isn't as impactful as it could be. Sure, it's interesting to hear that all our heroes have had big changes, but if we saw what happened to Primus, I think that would have been more interesting and powerful.

Also, what do you think of Rayner? What do you think his choice is at the end of the comic? Who does he stand with? Is he still true to his beliefs, or has he been corrupted? Why is he not more affected hearing the horrible acts his old team has committed?

I like how Spencer had Captain Marvel admit
that the events of CW2 and Secret Empire are all her fault. She even says that she it was about trying to prove herself and she "tried to get everyone to love her, but only made them hate her", which is obviously a nod to the readers.
What the fuck.

VanWinkle

Has Eddy Barrows always been such a great artist? We all know he killed it on Rebirth Detective Comics, but his Martian Manhunter DCYou run with Rob Williams is particularly blowing me away. Incredible stuff.

Aizo

Banned
How did the big Carol Danvers fans react to how she was in CW2? Do they stand up for her? I've never read her solo stuff, so I just thought she was an asshole.

Messi

So I bought the Flash ohc. This shit is doooooope. Please tell me Neil Googe and Felipe Watanabe come back regularly on art. Especially Googe his art was looooovely. I love Meena and Avery!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Actually, one of these days I need to finish Civil War II just to see what horrible thing Carol did. One of my main issues with that run, at least with the first 4 or 5-ish issues, was that I was supposed to see what argument from both sides or something, but it was clear Carol was correct.

So you find this kid who can see possible realities if you don't intervene, which allows you to save the world once, and then he sees Thanos will come and fuck shit up, so you make a plan to stop him, and while doing that someone dies and another is hurt badly and I'm supposed to think this was an issue for some reason? If you didn't stop him then, everyone would've died, and soldiers get hurt while doing soldier shit.

I dunno, maybe they make her lose her mind later on in the event or something, but those first issues and just thinking "why the hell should I be listening to Tony Stark right now?".

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Actually, one of these days I need to finish Civil War II just to see what horrible thing Carol did. One of my main issues with that run, at least with the first 4 or 5-ish issues, was that I was supposed to see what argument from both sides or something, but it was clear Carol was correct.

So you find this kid who can see possible realities if you don't intervene, which allows you to save the world once, and then he sees Thanos will come and fuck shit up, so you make a plan to stop him, and while doing that someone dies and another is hurt badly and I'm supposed to think this was an issue for some reason? If you didn't stop him then, everyone would've died, and soldiers get hurt while doing soldier shit.

I dunno, maybe they make her lose her mind later on in the event or something, but those first issues and just thinking "why the hell should I be listening to Tony Stark right now?".

It's determined that the guys visions are just probability predictions. He's not seeing the future, just possible futures. She then gets Bruce Banner murdered based on a false vision.

She then also nearly murders Tony Stark because he had the audacity to try and stop her from arresting Mile Morales for the possible future murder of Captain America.

VanWinkle

It's night time here. In the morning. But it's exactly like the others. Opens fully and lays nicely. Good binding. Lovely pic for under the dust cover. Barry on one cover, wally on the other, the spine is lightning.

This image

Great OHC.

Maaan. I want it so bad. IST still hasn't shipped mine.

Oh actually, that reminds me. I have a question. Solicitations and Amazon say that it includes Flash Rebirth #1 and #1-13 (like it should, since it's supposed to include the first two trades). But IST says it only includes Flash Rebirth #1 and #1-12.

Can you check what it actually includes for me?

Top Bottom