• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

So I just realized I'm pretty skinny fat. I have a rib cage that sticks out, but I have fat in my lower belly area. I've been going to the gym since January, working on lifts Monday (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Core), Wednesday (Legs/Core) and Friday (Back/Biceps/Core). I have decent dead lifts and squats, but absolutely shit bench press that hasn't gone up from 95 lbs in months. I do 15 minutes of HIIT on every gym day at the end as well. I used to follow Paleo Diet, but I didn't really feel comfortable with it so I stopped recently. I went from ~165 lbs in January to ~138 lbs today, at 5 ft 8.

What program would you recommend as some what of an intermediate program? And how would I stop being skinny fat?

Hiya fit muscley beautiful peeps I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on stair climbing

So I live a few blocks away from a pretty long set of walkway stairs, and I've been running up it for a few years now every now and then (maybe once a week, but would like to do it more often if I weren't lazy)

More recently I got the idea in my head that that I should run up by two steps per stride (so landing on every other step) for a more intense lift, and I usually wanna die after 3-4 trips up so I think it's going great?

But I'm wondering if there's any benefit to me running up this way instead of walking up, since I'm not trying to burn calories/lose weight, even though I appreciate how burn-y I feel afterwards.

So I just realized I'm pretty skinny fat. I have a rib cage that sticks out, but I have fat in my lower belly area. I've been going to the gym since January, working on lifts Monday (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Core), Wednesday (Legs/Core) and Friday (Back/Biceps/Core). I have decent dead lifts and squats, but absolutely shit bench press that hasn't gone up from 95 lbs in months. I do 15 minutes of HIIT on every gym day at the end as well. I used to follow Paleo Diet, but I didn't really feel comfortable with it so I stopped recently. I went from ~165 lbs in January to ~138 lbs today, at 5 ft 8.

What program would you recommend as some what of an intermediate program? And how would I stop being skinny fat?
What kind of fat are you talking about? Seems like we're on the same boat. Well, the outline of where the abs should be appears on my stomach but it's soft. So I'm thinking I should do some core exercises of which I do none.

I really want to learn how to do deadlifts :(

GrizzNKev

Banned
If I'm working under max weight to increase my volume, how many sets of squats should I do? I'm thinking 5x5 is pretty popular. 3x10 would probably be too hard.

chadboban

I've lurked on these threads for like two years and I just gotta say you guys are a huge inspiration to me. I have pectus excavatum and it mostly affects the left side of my chest but I've seen a decent improvement thanks to taking my fitness seriously. You guy's posts are part of the reason I keep going. Proud of the progress I've made these past two years. Stay awesome FitGAF!

19437571_10213283691281kkt.jpg
Just got done working out for 30 minutes. Proud to say!

Nice! Keep it up dude!

Just got done working out for 30 minutes. Proud to say!
As the person above me said, keep it up and don't lose the fire!

I've lurked on these threads for like two years and I just gotta say you guys are a huge inspiration to me. I have pectus excavatum and it mostly affects the left side of my chest but I've seen a decent improvement thanks to taking my fitness seriously. You guy's posts are part of the reason I keep going. Proud of the progress I've made these past two years. Stay awesome FitGAF!
Amazing transformation! That's the kind of body I'm shooting for, what's your routine like?

Marz

Hit 225 on squats 3x8 yesterday. First time ever squatting that much and I repped it pretty easily. Think I need to push myself a lot more than I currently do...it's kind of hard when your only gym partner is your girlfriend.

lenovox1

Hit 225 on squats 3x8 yesterday. First time ever squatting that much and I repped it pretty easily. Think I need to push myself a lot more than I currently do...it's kind of hard when your only gym partner is your girlfriend.

Does the squat rack have safety bars? Be mindful of form and shaking in your femoral muscles, but squats are the one compound exercise I feel pretty safe doing unassisted.

KillerBEA

How often do you guys take rest days? Forcing myself today but I haaaaate it >_<
I take 2 consecutive rest days most weeks, Saturday and Sunday. Allows me to bring the intensity and volume I want on the 5 days I do go without having to take too many rest/deload weeks.
If I'm working under max weight to increase my volume, how many sets of squats should I do? I'm thinking 5x5 is pretty popular. 3x10 would probably be too hard.
I am doing 5 sets of 10 right now on Deadlifts, Back Squats, Flat Bench, and Strict Press (OHP) for conditioning/hypertrophy.
!
Looking good dude, keep slamming that progress!
Set a short term goal, a medium term goal, and a long term goal. Attack them with ferocity. I work out alone all the time what keeps me going when I feel like I can't push myself is my goals. Without them I doubt I could keep pushing so hard.

Marz

Does the squat rack have safety bars? Be mindful of form and shaking in your femoral muscles, but squats are the one compound exercise I feel pretty safe doing unassisted.

It has safety bars but I've never actually pushed myself to failure on a squat so I have no experience with how that would work do I just drop the bar off my back? Do I need to fall?

Set a short term goal, a medium term goal, and a long term goal. Attack them with ferocity. I work out alone all the time what keeps me going when I feel like I can't push myself is my goals. Without them I doubt I could keep pushing so hard.

The only goal I've really set for myself so far is I want to be able to Rep 225 on bench by the end of the year. Don't know if that's actually attainable since I struggle with 185 right now. Even though I haven't been progressing in weight on the lifts as fast as I'd like... I'm seeing results on my body so I'm happy for the most part.

Why is it that I love front squats despite how brutal they are?

Also been watching a lot of olympic lifter squat vids on instagram lately...man, talk about perfect form!

Szu

You know you had a good upper body workout when trying to take off your top feels like a life or death struggle with a python wrapped around my neck.

ACE 1991

It has safety bars but I've never actually pushed myself to failure on a squat so I have no experience with how that would work do I just drop the bar off my back? Do I need to fall?

Ideally you would have the safety bars set just below where the deepest part of your squat is. If you feel yourself failing just squat down until the barbell hits the safety bars, then get out from under it. I've failed several times on squats, not scary or painful at all with pins setup properly.

ExInferus

Ideally you would have the safety bars set just below where the deepest part of your squat is. If you feel yourself failing just squat down until the barbell hits the safety bars, then get out from under it. I've failed several times on squats, not scary or painful at all with pins setup properly.

what about falling backwards or forward? I could see that happen when you go to your limits during tge upward movement

chadboban

Amazing transformation! That's the kind of body I'm shooting for, what's your routine like?

Thanks man!

Well I tend to work out around 5 days a week, sometimes 6. My days are normally split like chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulders and traps, legs and about three days a week I do abs.

I normally start my work outs warming up on a treadmill or bike for about 10-15 mins, do some stretching then I start my routines.

I normally get in about 4-5 exercises per body part, doing about 4 sets of 8-12 reps for each one also increasing weight every set with most exercises and sometimes ending on a drop set. So on a chest day for example, I'll probably do 4 sets of flat barbell bench press with increasing weight. 4 sets incline barbell bench press increasing weight, 4 sets cable flys increasing weight and ending with a drop set, 4 sets chest dips and 4 sets dumbbell press. Of course I change the order of the exercises when I can and try not to keep my workouts the same for too long. I'm always trying new things or adding a new exercise and switching up my routines.

Looking good dude, keep slamming that progress!

Thanks so much man, I will!

One hell of a mean build, awesome stuff man!

So impressed with your progress man!

thanks guys, I really want to lean down but then I always feel skinny so then I want to bulk but then I feel fat

it is like this every 3 days lol

Gotta stick to the leaning out and then slowly put on the weight, but I been saying this for the past 4 years.

Nice! Keep it up dude!

nice changes man

ACE 1991

Finally threw up 90s on dumbbell bench for the first time yesterday, got 5 reps. Sitting on a bench with huge ass dumbbells resting on my legs between sets makes me feel manly.

what about falling backwards or forward? I could see that happen when you go to your limits during tge upward movement

Seems unlikely that you'll fail at the upward part of the movement. The hardest part of a squat is getting out of the hole, so once you get past that 9/10 you'll be able to grind out the rep. I've personally never failed a squat rep during the part of the movement that you're describing.

Farooq

Banned
I don't know if the this is the right thread, I want to increase my throwing strength so I can throw a football further. Other than strengthening my legs, I was wondering what other muscles should I target.

I don't know if the this is the right thread, I want to increase my throwing strength so I can throw a football further. Other than strengthening my legs, I was wondering what other muscles should I target.

In theory, and I know nothing about nothing, but I would think your lats, deltoids, and triceps.

A dude got stuck under the bar while I was on the treadmill today. Two 35's on a close grip bench press. Scared the shit out of me. I was all the way across the gym and could see him faltering on the last set. Am I the only one who doesn't put the stoppers on when I bench without a spotter? I want to live.

A dude got stuck under the bar while I was on the treadmill today. Two 35's on a close grip bench press. Scared the shit out of me. I was all the way across the gym and could see him faltering on the last set. Am I the only one who doesn't put the stoppers on when I bench without a spotter? I want to live.

Put the stoppers on. The last thing you want is to jack someone's grill who comes over to help just as you let one side's weight slip off and then immediately spring up into the air as gravity takes over. That's a good way to get someone seriously hurt. (It has almost happened to me!)

If you're working out alone, either stop short of failure (also means know your limits), use spotter arms if available, or know that you can roll the bar off of you.

Put the stoppers on. The last thing you want is to jack someone's grill who comes over to help just as you let one side's weight slip off and then immediately spring up into the air as gravity takes over. That's a good way to get someone seriously hurt. (It has almost happened to me!).

Never thought about that! Holy crap! I am glad it *almost* happened but didn't. Will definitely use stoppers even on the solo in the future.

I'll never bench without spotter bars again. I've seen some fucking nasty incidents.

I don't care how hard you are, drop bodyweight+ on your ribs or face and you're going to be in serious trouble.

KillerBEA

The only goal I've really set for myself so far is I want to be able to Rep 225 on bench by the end of the year. Don't know if that's actually attainable since I struggle with 185 right now. Even though I haven't been progressing in weight on the lifts as fast as I'd like... I'm seeing results on my body so I'm happy for the most part.
You can just drop it and make a ton of noise, or ride it down to the spotter bars.

You defunitely could rep 225. Dial in your training and you will smash it

If for some reason I cant have spotter arms for bench I stay super far away from failure or get a human spotter. I know exactly where failure is. I have a good grasp on how many I have left in the tank for Bench and Deadlift.

I prefer having a spotter so i can go until true failure. If i dont have a spotter i will stop the set even if i can do another rep or two just to be on the safe side.

And obviously i wouldnt max out without a spotter.

Servbot24

Banned
I think the last time I posted a pic was a few threads ago, so here's a new one

I think I have given myself body image issues because I'm just constantly hyper aware of the amount of fat on my belly, lol. Gotta get rid of it! Like I know I'm in better shape than the average American citizen, but I look at myself and just see a pasty blob. I eat pretty healthy, worst thing I will have is fruit. Maybe I need to cut out fruit as well, or just eat less than I do... though it's pretty controlled as is.

I know, the mirror is scummy!

Laekon

Maybe an odd question but what do people think about Gold's Gym? They have a special going for less then $20 a month that a friend of my joined up with. I'm always struggling with my weight and come to think its because I have very little muscle. Knocking out 20+ push-ups randomly is tough and I don't know if I've ever done a pull up. I've been putting myself through school again so money is really tight but I only got a month left. Having someone to go with will hopefully make sticking with it until it becomes a habit easier.

sam12

I think I have given myself body image issues because I'm just constantly hyper aware of the amount of fat on my belly, lol. Gotta get rid of it! Like I know I'm in better shape than the average American citizen, but I look at myself and just see a pasty blob. I eat pretty healthy, worst thing I will have is fruit. Maybe I need to cut out fruit as well, or just eat less than I do... though it's pretty controlled as is. Or maybe

I think you look great, thats the body I am hoping to get.
Can you talk about your exercise routine and diet

Servbot24

Banned
I think you look great, thats the body I am hoping to get.
Can you talk about your exercise routine and diet
Sure, I have no idea if this is a good routine, it's just what I've always done:

Day 1 - Bench press, curls, other various presses and upper body accessory lifts
Day 2 - Deadlifts, rows, various back exercises
Day 3 - Squats, crunch variations with weights, various leg lifts
Every day (if it fits in schedule) several hours after lifting - cardio! Jogging outdoors, HIIT indoors, or swimming laps (haven't swam in months, need to get back to it)
Throw in a rest day whenever it's convenient, but admittedly I sometimes go several weeks without resting

Diet, again no idea if this is good... just what I tend to naturally do

Breakfast - protein bar and some nuts or dried fruit
Lunch - shake with spinach, cucumber, banana, pineapple, protein powder
Dinner - steamed rice with veggies
Depending on what's convenient I could substitute any of those with a bowl of oatmeal. I also tend to snack on kale, carrots, almonds and granola

sam12

Sure, I have no idea if this is a good routine, it's just what I've always done:

Day 1 - Bench press, curls, other various presses and upper body accessory lifts
Day 2 - Deadlifts, rows, various back exercises
Day 3 - Squats, crunch variations with weights, various leg lifts
Every day (if it fits in schedule) several hours after lifting - cardio! Jogging outdoors, HIIT indoors, or swimming laps (haven't swam in months, need to get back to it)
Throw in a rest day whenever it's convenient, but admittedly I sometimes go several weeks without resting

Diet, again no idea if this is good... just what I tend to naturally do

Breakfast - protein bar and some nuts or dried fruit
Lunch - shake with spinach, cucumber, banana, pineapple, protein powder
Dinner - steamed rice with veggies
Depending on what's convenient I could substitute any of those with a bowl of oatmeal. I also tend to snack on kale, carrots, almonds and granola

Thanks!

Cudder

I think I have given myself body image issues because I'm just constantly hyper aware of the amount of fat on my belly, lol. Gotta get rid of it! Like I know I'm in better shape than the average American citizen, but I look at myself and just see a pasty blob. I eat pretty healthy, worst thing I will have is fruit. Maybe I need to cut out fruit as well, or just eat less than I do... though it's pretty controlled as is.

Man, I swear I have more body image issues than I did before I started working out. It just changes your brain when you start seeing physical changes, always chasing the next level of physique. You're never cut/big/strong enough. Your own worst critic.

Man, I swear I have more body image issues than I did before I started working out. It just changes your brain when you start seeing physical changes, always chasing the next level of physique. You're never cut/big/strong enough. Your own worst critic.

Agreed. I actually feel a lot better when I'm sort of early bulk because I'm not judging myself harshly (I know I'm supposed to not be able to see all my muscles and have a bit of fat here and there).

There was a time in my life I'd have killed to look like I do now. But now? I think I look awful half the time.

I prefer having a spotter so i can go until true failure. If i dont have a spotter i will stop the set even if i can do another rep or two just to be on the safe side.

And obviously i wouldnt max out without a spotter.

Why I do everything with dumbbells, I often lift alone alone and don't feel like bugging people to spot me. Plus, a lot of people suck at spotting. At least with dumbbells I can go till failure and not fear getting stuck or anything.

Which reminds me, one time while solo I kicked dumbbells back for flat bench, and like 2-3 reps in i felt hands on my elbows. I honestly thought it was some friend of mine messing with me, i look up and it's a complete stranger. He proceeded to help me with the next lift and I just dropped the weight and proceeded to (nicely) tell him that he just ruined my set. Gave me some bs how he saw me sitting there with the weight on my lap and alone, didn't want anything bad to happen... I mean maybe he really did have good intentions, but it really bothered me how he just ran up and took it upon himself to help me. If you see someone failing that's one thing, but you never run up to someone and take it upon yourself to help them if not requested in the first place.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hey guys, long time runner here -

I just moved to another country and can't join a gym for a week until my bank card gets here. I used to burn about 700 calories a day and eat super healthy, but now I'm being forced to go out to eat a lot and have no treadmill to run on.

I know "run outside" is the best replacement, but what are some tips for adjusting your diet to account for a large change in calorie intake while constantly having co-workers take you out for work and drinking parties and the like? I feel like I've already put on quite a bit of weight in a week, and that was with a hotel I could run at.

So i did front squats for the first time today.

I watched some youtube videos to make sure i was doing it right and did a few practice reps to make sure everything looked and felt right.

I can do 5x5 of 225lbs on a normal back squat, but i was struggling to do 3 reps of 135lbs on the front squat, it was very difficult to keep my back straight. So i assume the front squat is activating muscles that i normally dont train, and thats why i was struggling with such small weight, do you guys know what muscles are likely holding me back on this workout?

A relevant tidbit, i just started doing real deadlifts this month (Deadlift was a very intimidating workout for me so i had been doing romanian deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts to work up muscle until i felt confident enough to do the real thing). I bet that's part of the problem.

So i did front squats for the first time today.

I watched some youtube videos to make sure i was doing it right and did a few practice reps to make sure everything looked and felt right.

I can do 5x5 of 225lbs on a normal back squat, but i was struggling to do 3 reps of 135lbs on the front squat, it was very difficult to keep my back straight. So i assume the front squat is activating muscles that i normally dont train, and thats why i was struggling with such small weight, do you guys know what muscles are likely holding me back on this workout?

A relevant tidbit, i just started doing real deadlifts this month (Deadlift was a very intimidating workout for me so i had been doing romanian deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts to work up muscle until i felt confident enough to do the real thing). I bet that's part of the problem.

quads mostly. front squat is a bit harder for some.because of the weight is in the front.

Top Bottom