• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Snap keeps going down. That chart looks like the definition of a falling knife. Expiration on lockup part one coming on July 31 with 400M shares and part two Aug 14 with around 800M shares. I think I'm going to get my single digits but I might wait for 5 dollars a share now.
Why do you want to get into a company that is being eaten right now by Facebook and Instagram?

Bandini

any tips or guides i can read/use
new to stocks but want to get more involved

For the fundamentals, I'd suggest ordering a couple books. I'd also start an account with TD Ameritrade or something similar, they have a ton of research reports on individual stocks and you don't need to have any money in the account to read them.

AMD and NTDOY killing it for me today. It has been a good month.

bigJP

For the fundamentals, I'd suggest ordering a couple books. I'd also start an account with TD Ameritrade or something similar, they have a ton of research reports on individual stocks and you don't need to have any money in the account to read them.

AMD and NTDOY killing it for me today. It has been a good month.

thanks,
any suggestions on how much $$$ i should start with?

Bandini

thanks,
any suggestions on how much $$$ i should start with?

I mean, it really depends on how much you have and what you're comfortable with. I started with a few thousand and kept adding over time. Robinhood is a good trading platform if you want to start small because of no trading fees. Most places offer at least a couple months of free trades if you make a certain sized first deposit.

It's pretty important to know what your goals are and how much risk you're willing to take. That will help inform your decisions.

bigJP

I mean, it really depends on how much you have and what you're comfortable with. I started with a few thousand and kept adding over time. Robinhood is a good trading platform if you want to start small because of no trading fees. Most places offer at least a couple months of free trades if you make a certain sized first deposit.

It's pretty important to know what your goals are and how much risk you're willing to take. That will help inform your decisions.

thanks again.
i got a bit that i usually put into "safe bets" but not necessarily the best way to make money.

Mrbob

Why do you want to get into a company that is being eaten right now by Facebook and Instagram?

Probably the case, but that's why I want to see the price come down quite a bit. I'm not fully convinced Instagram will push snap away and if snap management can get it together they may be able to do something. But I want a lower price point than what it is currently at to dip my toes in.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Probably the case, but that's why I want to see the price come down quite a bit. I'm not fully convinced Instagram will push snap away and if snap management can get it together they may be able to do something. But I want a lower price point than what it is currently at to dip my toes in.

They can do nothing, don't touch it. They might get bought out but that's a risk not worth taking IMO.

Mrbob

You are probably right. The exclusion from the Russell indexes makes me want the stock even less.

Just read on The Street Blue Apron got denied too because of limited voting rights.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/142...ndicies-in-major-blow-to-snap-blue-apron.html

I'm liking this trend. Damn millennial CEOs think the stock market is Kickstarter or Patreon. Enjoy not getting free money by being excluded in these larger indexes.

This is the worst timing too for snap as lock up expiration dates are expiring on Monday. Curious to see if these big firms hold or sell for loss cratering the stock price.

Reading MarketWatch the news for Snap gets even worse.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/can-snap-fall-even-more-as-lockups-expire-2017-07-26

200 million shares were offered in the IPO, and 957 million (!!) shares are going to be available after the lock up is over. This thing is tanking to single digits.

Gotta agree stock is looking like straight trash. I'll go long under 2 dollars a share and then I still may lose 50% of my money.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Yeah FB, AMAZ, NFLX are just unstoppable. I got out of Amazon so I can buy more GOOG. Terrible decision lol

That mobile strategy really worked for Facebook. Even better for them is the rise of adblockers, because if everyone is running an app, you can't block that. More publishers moving to their Instant Articles platform to get revenue there, and you got a serious Adsense competitor.

Natetan

Yeah FB, AMAZ, NFLX are just unstoppable. I got out of Amazon so I can buy more GOOG. Terrible decision lol

I actually put a sell on my Amazon shares if it went below 950. It got extremely close and now here we are like two weeks later and it's rocketed up to over 1050 now.

Google and Apple are disappointing the last couple of months. Apple has mostly come back, google just bounced up and down....

Edit: so Amazon is now down today song with lots of other tech stocks. What happened today?

Bandini

The NASDAQ is taking a beating, yikes... looked pretty good this morning. I'd probably pick up some more AMD but I'm a little short on cash

Natetan

Intraday algos kicking in for a tech selloff. Interesting to see the reaction to Amazon earnings after hours.

Figured it was something like that. They must have somehow ramped up the price so they could sell high.

Is that legal? Seems really fishy to me...

Mrbob

It's legal but the joys of computer trading. It's what scares me when the algos say sell the whole market....drops could happen fast. We've seen flash crashes already with computer trading.

Markets are already rebounding somewhat but I still think tech probably needs a correction.

Maybesew

nasdaq looked like a falling knife today. Glad i sold a call when it was up early this morning

It's legal but the joys of computer trading. It's what scares me when the algos say sell the whole market....drops could happen fast. We've seen flash crashes already with computer trading.

Markets are already rebounding somewhat but I still think tech probably needs a correction.

Drops always happen faster than rises, even before any sort of high frequency trading.

Joe

Bit of a newbie question:

How can I measure a total stock performance including dividend yield? Or do my stocks 'Gain %' include the dividend already?

Bit of a newbie question:

How can I measure a total stock performance including dividend yield? Or do my stocks 'Gain %' include the dividend already?

Same as without dividends:

(value today - price paid) / (price paid)

If dividends are not reinvested, then just add "total amount of dividends earned" into the numerator

Mrbob

I know eps doesn't matter as much for Amazon right now but it's crazy to me the eps is 40 cents versus an expected 1.42 and its only down 3 percent after hours.

Amazon really doesn't give a damn about profit, do they? Good thing for them, because just hoarding cash isn't that useful. But I wonder if shareholders will get tired of it sometime.

Mrbob

You know the Amazon stock price hitting 1080 and then being dumped today bringing the whole Nasdaq down is looking a little shady to me. People got tipped off and started selling at the top.

BeforeU

I think I didn't care that much or I'm just careless regarding FSLR. xD

On the one hand it helps that it's not a large position (but it isn't small either), on the other hand it's the largest solar company in the US and the market for renewables is looming, therefore I see potential.

Side note: Mathematically I was like -30% or -40% with FSLR, which is still pretty big.

If 10$ falls to 3$ it shows -70%, but it actually has to grow 233% from 3$ to 10$.

You should be very happy today :)

You know the Amazon stock price hitting 1080 and then being dumped today bringing the whole Nasdaq down is looking a little shady to me. People got tipped off and started selling at the top.

It always happens despite the SEC's headhunters having gotten much better in the last ~2 decades.

The only way to hedge is to play the long game, realistically.

Mrbob

This might be a strange question but are there any investment opportunities available in e sports outside of buying stocks in companies that are ramping up their investment in it (ie Activision). I wouldn't mind getting in on the ground floor on some sort of esports investment opportunity.

StillEdge

I've heard a lot of rumblings about some penny stock "BVTK" how do I get in on this anyone betting on this bad boy? The only stocks I own are from my work.

I've heard a lot of rumblings about some penny stock "BVTK" how do I get in on this anyone betting on this bad boy? The only stocks I own are from my work.

Most major brokers will allow you to trade penny stocks but honestly I have no idea why you would play such a dangerous game. The volatility, fraud, and misplaced hope in that market is obscene and frankly deserving of more oversight.

The company collapsed years ago and changed its name. Both the company's website and the language used on it look like a scam. The company seems to have done exactly nothing of actual note since this article about it was written five years ago.

Your money is your money but assume that anything you invest in penny stocks is effectively gone forever.

BeforeU

Considering their rise this year, a 3% drop isn't that bad from time to time.

If you look at their yesterday high 1083 and todays low 1001...thats also 8% drop.

Crazy but yes I agree the pull back would have happened sooner or later.

It just seems like collusion. The stock went sky high yesterday.
People expected them beating analyst consensus.

They missed it with their Earnings Release today, therefore the stock pulled back.

And don't forget that everything in NASDAQ tanked yesterday (for whatever reason).

Barzul

Hey guys, new to this and I know there's a lot involved. I downloaded this app Robinhood...it apparently doesn't charge any fees for trades. Someone suggested to me to not focus on blue chip stocks as I'd see better returns (and potentially greater losses). There's nothing on the first page so I don't know if any of this info is good or not.

Hey guys, new to this and I know there's a lot involved. I downloaded this app Robinhood...it apparently doesn't charge any fees for trades. Someone suggested to me to not focus on blue chip stocks as I'd see better returns (and potentially greater losses). There's nothing on the first page so I don't know if any of this info is good or not.

Robinhood is good for some things (ease of use, commission-free access to stocks and ETFs) but very bad at others, like extremely basic functionality and no dividend reinvestment program (likely because they make money off of your cash accounts like most brokers).

What are you trying to do with your money? Is your retirement savings in a good place? Is your investment horizon short-term, very long, or somewhere in between? Are you comfortable with the (much) greater amount of risk involved in buying individual stocks for the promise of potentially better returns?

If you don't have a solid long-term savings/retirement strategy or little-to-no savings at all, it's not recommended that you put gobs of money on individual stocks and you should start here instead. If you're comfortable with your long-term savings plan and are flush with cash, Robinhood might be fine if you're looking for a roller coaster ride. Or get into cryptocurrency if you hate yourself.

Barzul

Robinhood is good for some things (ease of use, commission-free access to stocks and ETFs) but very bad at others, like extremely basic functionality and no dividend reinvestment program (likely because they make money off of your cash accounts like most brokers).

What are you trying to do with your money? Is your retirement savings in a good place? Is your investment horizon short-term, very long, or somewhere in between? Are you comfortable with the (much) greater amount of risk involved in buying individual stocks for the promise of potentially better returns?

If you don't have a solid long-term savings/retirement strategy or little-to-no savings at all, it's not recommended that you put gobs of money on individual stocks and you should start here instead. If you're comfortable with your long-term savings plan and are flush with cash, Robinhood might be fine if you're looking for a roller coaster ride. Or get into cryptocurrency if you hate yourself.

I do have a couple retirement saving plans through vanguard and fidelity and a 401k. I'm fairly young as well so I feel like I can take on the additional risk. This is money I'm ready to lose. Going to start with about $2-$3k. My main goal was just finding resources on which kinds of stocks I should be looking at or if there's a guide of some sorts. I saw folks mentioning AMD and First Solar above in the thread for example. Do you guys just like study earning reports or have the news on like CNBC all day or just watch out for key announcements in like politics? I have the basic knowledge for how investing works, just need to know how to focus so I don't end up making avoidable mistakes.

BeforeU

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't have 50% of my portfolio in BRK.B?

Right now I have noticed I have lot of overlapping

for example

I have VUN.TO, VUS.TO (which are kinda same?) , then I have AAPL and some BRK stocks (again BRK has 20% APPL holding). I want to streamline my portfolio further.

is putting 50% in BRK.B for long term a good bet? or do you people suggest something else?

As of now, this is my portfolio

VUS.TO
VUN.TO
XEC.TO
XEF.TO
XGD.TO
AAPL
BRK.B
GOOG
VCE.TO

and some cash

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't have 50% of my portfolio in BRK.B?

Right now I have noticed I have lot of overlapping

for example

I have VUN.TO, VUS.TO (which are kinda same?) , then I have AAPL and some BRK stocks (again BRK has 20% APPL holding). I want to streamline my portfolio further.

is putting 50% in BRK.B for long term a good bet? or do you people suggest something else?

As of now, this is my portfolio

VUS.TO
VUN.TO
XEC.TO
XEF.TO
XGD.TO
AAPL
BRK.B
GOOG
VCE.TO

and some cash

VUN&VUS are very different. VUN is unhedged, VUS is CAD-hedged. So if the CAD goes down compared to the USD, VUN will amplify your profits, VUS will inhibit them. If the CAD goes up, VUN will inhibit your profits, VUS will amplify them.

It's generally, for Canadian investors, recommended not to use currency-hedging or not use it too much, because the Canadian dollar is much less diversified than the USD - the CAD is linked very tightly to the Oil price, so if you try to diversify your portfolio but have them currency-hedged, you essentially have your entire portfolio linked to the oil price.

just some background info. If the CAD tanks a TON it might be a good idea to move some money over the VUS, but given that nobody can really predict how high or low the CAD can and will go, that's risky.

Top Bottom