• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale '17 Hidden Gems & Under-The-Radar Recommendations thread

owasog

Antichamber - $3.99 (-80%)
header.jpg

ss_c02435ac01bff1e3af6c69e9ddeb77f6bf40caf2.600x338.jpg

An absolutely mind bending first person puzzle game. Lots of crazy tricks with perspective and lateral thinking and lots of cube manipulation

Kairo - $0.89 (-83%)
header.jpg

ss_50eb66badd7a68ba89fee4aac2ae9d4f2a28bae8.600x338.jpg

A much more sedate first person puzzler than Antichamber. You can breeze through this one in a few hours, and there's nothing too challenging, but its dripping in a particular sort of atmosphere and I really enjoyed it
Antichamber, Kairo and The Eyes of Ara are all excellent games. If you like first person puzzlers, then you might also like;

TRI - Of Friendship and Madness - €3.24 (-75%)
header.jpg

Intricate levels where you must construct paths with triangles to reach puzzles and hidden collectables. It also has a very weird soundtrack.

The Turing Test - €7.99 (-60%)
header.jpg

Obduction - €20.09 (-33%)
header.jpg

The Talos Principle - €9.99 (-75%)
header.jpg

Quantum Conundrum - €1.79 (-80%)
header.jpg

TIMEframe - €1.99 (-75%)
header.jpg

A very, very short walking sim. But the mood and music are beautiful.

Ether One - €4.99 (-75%)
header.jpg

Among the Sleep - €5.09 (-66%)
header.jpg

Disoriented - €0.99 (-75%)
header.jpg

Magnetic - Cage Closed - €1.49 (-90%)
header.jpg

abracadaver

Bombshell 3,49€ (-90%)

Good looking twin stick shooter from 3D Realms. It was originally supposed to be a Duke Nukem game but they weren't allowed to use him anymore and had to change to main character. Big levels with multiple optional objectives. Had a lot of fun with it. If you like twin stick action this is a must have for the price.

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353190/Bombshell/

butzopower

proud of his butz
I really don't know what counts as well known in turn based strategy games, but here's a couple of good ones, even if most are relatively well known:

Dominions 4 Deep and complex, 4x/grand strategy-ish game that's really quite unique
Conquest of Elysium 4 - Similar to Dominions, but smaller scale, more RPG-ish
Age of Wonders series - Just in case you haven't played one of the best TBS games out there yet. I linked Shadow Magic because I really like it, but 1 and 3 are also great.
Disciples II
- Another classic TBS game, though also pretty well known.
Expeditions: Conquistador - Strategy RPG with turn based combat and an King's Bounty-esque overworld map. It has some really interesting ideas, even if the execution is a bit lacking. There's also a sequel (Expeditions: Viking) which I haven't played much, but it seemed much more character driven, which was nice. Much more expensive though.
Xenonauts - Basically X-COM
Twilight Struggle - An adaptation of one of the best board games ever made. Has AI play, but you'll probably want to find someone to play it with to get the most out of it.
Blood Bowl 2 - Another board game adaptation. A turn based tactical game based on American football + Warhammer. It's actually a really fun and strategic game. Blood Bowl 2 really milks you with DLC though, so if you only want single player Blood Bowl legendary edition might be a better choice.
Card hunter - f2p card based strategy RPG. I really liked it when it originally came out, though it's probably kind of dead now. I see it's still getting updates though, so at least there's that.

Quoting this as top 3 are some of the best hidden gem TBS on PC / MAC. Each of those games has 500+ types of units.

Manatox

Lost Castle is a surprisingly good roguelike game that's both fun and challenging. Definitely worth checking out if you like such games.

Sulik2

Are there any good actual Cthulhu mythos games around? I picked up the Last Door on a gaf recommendation and loved it. Makes me want more cosmic horror games.

aku:jiki

Are there any good actual Cthulhu mythos games around? I picked up the Last Door on a gaf recommendation and loved it. Makes me want more cosmic horror games.
Sunless Sea is probably the best Lovecraft game ever made even though it's not actually based on Lovecraft.

Most actual Cthulhu games are just dumb "lol let's blow up tentacle monsters" games that don't really have anything to do with Lovecraft's style of horror.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Steam reviews aren't very good. Is it due to gameplay or ppl just not liking the character/humour?

It's just not very good, especially given it was a full price game at launch.

There are tons of much better twin sticks on steam, unless you're some kind of mega twinstick fan who's played everything else, skip it.

What was that name of that retro game that was a bit like cave story but you used a sword and shield. I remember Gaffers boasting about it when it released.

I am more into action retro games that are tough but fair. So anything like Castlevania, Mega Man or tight Platformers would be recommended (that hasnt been mentioned already).

dream

storafötter;241714858 said:
What was that name of that retro game that was a bit like cave story but you used a sword and shield. I remember Gaffers boasting about it when it released.

I am more into action retro games that are tough but fair. So anything like Castlevania, Mega Man or tight Platformers would be recommended (that hasnt been mentioned already).

Volgarr the Viking, maybe?

I grabbed Hollow Knight and it's not really doing it for me...

Sucks cause I could really got for a good Metroidvania right now but I just don't like the floatiness of the jumping and the way they handle the maps...

Valdis Story is incredible.

storafötter;241714858 said:

Castle in the darkness. It's pretty good if you like thatchers of thing.

-Mikey-

I have a friend that isn't into PC gaming and only has a basic laptop for work. He bought Undertale a year ago and really enjoyed it. I'm looking for some cheap games to gift him to hopefully pull him into Steam.

Would Pony Island be in the same vein as Undertale? Any other recommendations?

mindatlarge

On Sale $5.99
From the creator of Cave Story, Kero Blaster is a steal at $6. Think this game flew under a lot of people's radars, not sure why, as what I have played of it was really fun and well done. It has that Cave Story feel, the music, controls, etc...but it also feels like its own title. Definitely check it out if you're a fan of Cave Story or platformers in general.

Inkwell

Banned
A few of these can't really be considered under-the-radar or hidden gems, but I'll echo what some have said here with:

Antichamber - $3.99 (-80%)

The Talos Principle $9.99 (-75%) or Gold Edition with all dlc for $13.63 (-81%)

Ether One $4.99 (-75%) (I've heard the redux version is buggy, so it may be wise to play the original. I believe you get both versions when you purchase.)

Obduction $20.09 (-33%)

Here's a few other suggestions:

Quern - Undying Thoughts $17.49 (-30%)

Haven Moon $4.49 (-70%)

The Sea Will Claim Everything $2.49 (-75%)

The Guest $1.49 (-85%)

I have a friend that isn't into PC gaming and only has a basic laptop for work. He bought Undertale a year ago and really enjoyed it. I'm looking for some cheap games to gift him to hopefully pull him into Steam.

The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh yeah if you like Myst or Riven at all you absolutely need to give Obduction a look as well. Other games, like those listed above, do well at capturing Myst like aesthetics and even puzzles, but Cyan is still at the top of the game when it comes to world design and environmental storytelling. There are things I found in Obduction that were more emotionally affecting than I could have expected. Its a lovely game

Ronin Ray

Here's my recommendation:

Crimzon Clover: WORLD IGNITION ($1.99 - 80% off)

Crimzon Clover a Japanese indie bullet hell shoot em up, and it just so happens to be one of the best ever made in the genre. Some of the most spectacular and dazzling art style, spritework and animations in any 2D shmup. Plays flawlessly, with an innovative combination of a lock-on system and "Break Mode" which allows you to flood the screen with firepower that separates it from most other shooters. A huge amount of content with various unique ships and alternate modes and difficulties.

090D18D7CF22EF6B30490CB0E381C23E43E9EBF6

Looks even better in motion!

Even if you're new to shoot 'em ups, this is the perhaps the best place to start. Easy mode is very accessible while still being a blast. $2 is an absolute steal for one of the best shooters ever created.

Bought 100% thank you

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh yeah if you like Myst or Riven at all you absolutely need to give Obduction a look as well. Other games, like those listed above, do well at capturing Myst like aesthetics and even puzzles, but Cyan is still at the top of the game when it comes to world design and environmental storytelling. There are things I found in Obduction that were more emotionally affecting than I could have expected. Its a lovely game

Obduction is awesome all around. Looks amazing and has great puzzles and world design. Very surprising. I backed it on kickstarter and wasnt expecting it to be as good.

owasog

~Kinggi~

Banned
Is it good? It's on my wishlist, and I liked The Eyes of Ara, but I thought Haven Moon was pretty average (except for the graphics). So will Quern scratch my Myst itch?

Havent played it myself but i got the impression Quern was better than those other two games from what ive read.

Thank you for your RPG and strategy suggestions everyone! I bought three games (Underrail, Age of Decadence, Age of Wonders 3) and wishlisted a few more.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

Pony Island is sort of a comedy + 4th wall breaker like Undertale, but you won't get anything really heartwarming from it.

Maybe Why am I Dead at Sea? I haven't played it but heard good things about it, including comparisons to Earthbound, which sort of influenced Undertale.

autoduelist

Still looking for more 'mechanics first' hidden gems like DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, Hydra Slayer, Desktop Dungeons, etc.

Speaking of which, one of my favorite Steam games every is on sale 90% off at only 79 cents.

-----------

Sanctuary RPG.
It's basically a roguelike, but sort of first person, with beautiful ascii graphics. 'Dungeons' and such are reduced to just the encounters [so, maybe, grunt, grunt, chest/decision, grunt, boss]. Finding things and leveling up skills and such drastically affects how you approach combat.

Combat is where the game shines. This isn't just 'attack/attack/heal'... some attacks are 'starters' and allow you to start variable combos... so the moves you make one turn affect your options the next turn. Different moves affect different stats, and you need to balance going all out with resting, etc. Plus you need to defend, and prepare for enemy special moves etc. It's really, really cool.

Add in towns, crafting, etc... and it's just a truly amazing experience with tons of detail. And there are even secrets... you might travel and see a mountain range, for example, and in that fantastic ascii art is one little character slightly out of place. Hit that key, and bang, you found a hidden cave.

Get this!

latest

Inkwell

Banned
Is it good? It's on my wishlist, and I liked The Eyes of Ara, but I thought Haven Moon was pretty average (except for the graphics). So will Quern scratch that Myst itch?

Yes it will. I feel it has some small issues, like the reasoning for the puzzles existing, but it's still pretty good. It's probably my favorite Myst-like game from the past few years outside of Obduction.

Voliko

Anyone who likes difficult precision action platformers/Megaman/Castlevania should check out Wings of Vi. Every inch of the game is purposefully designed. The bosses in particular are brutal.

vivekTO

Can somebody recommend something similar to "BLUR" racing game, need something arcady action racing game like it. Also, I can't see it on Steam?

aku:jiki

Absolutely! I think it deserves a lot more love than it gets.
I was pretty disappointed in it and think it should basically be labeled early access. It's got the makings of something special, for sure, but it's held back by the really shoddy and half-finished controller support, random glitches all over the place and a few odd omissions like the fact that there's no sprint button in a pretty slow-moving game that expects you to run around back and forth between levels to solve puzzles and open doors and so on. I get a solid 3-5 second freeze every 5-10 minutes too...

owasog

It's probably my favorite Myst-like game from the past few years outside of Obduction.
Then it must be very good, because we recently had:

The Witness (-66% off The Witness+Braid Bundle, €17,78)
header_586x192.jpg

and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (85% off, €2.84).
header.jpg

Not exactly Myst-like I know, but close enough.

Two other games I enjoyed recently:
LostWinds: The Blossom Edition bundle (75% off, €3.74)
header_586x192.jpg

Think of it as a budget, casual Ori and the Blind Forest. Apparently for the Wii originally.

I'm posting the discount amount, but no the prices, mostly because the regional pricing can vary so much. But rest assured these games are all worth the asking price. They're among my favourite games, but I suspect many have never heard of them, or have overlooked them.

Strategy
~~~
Thea: The Awakening. ***50% off***

It's a bit of an RPG, adventure game, and 4X all rolled into one. You control a single village and basically try to survive while also seeking to return your god to power. There's a lot of stats and management involved, and secrets to be uncovered; it's remarkably deep. The card combat it uses to resolve challenges is really fun, based on the various stats of the parties involved. Another cool aspect is that it's based on Polish mythology, so if you're familiar with the Witcher you'll recognise some parallels, like strigas.
~~~
Age of Wonders 3 (plus expansions) ***40-75% off depending on what you're buying***

Ok, so this is the best fantasy 4X ever made. It has everything: tactical, turn-based combat; an immense roster of heroes, items, leaders, magicks, and races; several campaigns, and a host of options for custom battles. It also features a smooth, Civ5-like UI and is among the most approachable 4X in the genre. I cannot recommend this game enough.
~~~
Adventure
~~~
Technobabylon ***75% off***

A cyberpunk adventure game with an incredible vision of the future. It has a great assortment of characters, phenomenal writing, and solid VO; on a good day, I'd call it my favourite adventure game of all time. I don't want to spoil anything, but suffice it to say everything the game introduces comes together in a nice, satisfying way.
~~~
Roguelikelikes
~~~
One Way Heroics (and Plus expansion) ***75% off the OWH/OWH+ bundle***

It's basically a JRPG roguelike, condensed into its very essence. Being constantly forced to move to the right, it has a frenetic pace, almost a brevity, that makes it refreshing compared to other roguelikes; runs last minutes, and every turn is progress. There are persistent unlocks that make the difficult goals possible, and a wide variety of approaches to take in a particular run. There's also a really cool social/online aspect with a leaderboard constantly chiming in with stats and figures. OWH is a charming and delightful time.
~~~
Action
~~~
Intrusion 2 ***70% off***

A 2D shooter with flair. Although it's not a super long game (maybe 4 hours) it has some of the best boss fights I've ever experienced. They are truly spectacular to behold, and fun to fight. If you've ever played Mischief Maker, this is the shooter take on it.
~~~
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic ***50% off***

Think Half-Life 2, if it were a fantasy action RPG. The singleplayer campaign is surprisingly deep and meaty, with some impressive sights to see; there's (probably dead) multiplayer, but the singleplayer campaign is the draw here. There's plenty of weapons at your disposal, but, in this game, kicks are your most powerful weapon. Also, it's developed by Arkane and a weird spin-off of the Might&Magic strategy games.
~~~
[DLC for Mount & Blade: Warband] Viking Conquest Reforged Edition ***75% off***

Ok, so this is a DLC total conversion for Mount&Blade Warband. It is a quasi-historical take on Mount&Blade, focusing on Vikings and the Western edge of Europe. It completely rebalances and reskins the game and economy, adding in some new features as well; most notable is the sailing/naval battle mechanic, but the optional morale system and survival mechanics add just as much to the game. I actually prefer this to regular M&B now, because the battles are so dramatically improved over vanilla; in this, a soldier's skill and equipment, plus the guiding hand of their commander, play a critical role in how successful an army is. It isn't enough to just have numbers--you must have the tactics to win. It's still as janky as regular M&B, but decidedly more immersive and balanced. I heartily recommend it if you like M&B at all--it's worth the money.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

http://store.steampowered.com/app/257690/JULIA_Among_the_Stars/

Here's another weird one that I liked. The puzzles were ok, the story was average but what astounded me was the variety of locations the game presented and it was made by TWO PEOPLE..

This game really interests me.
How long is it? And how fast does it move? I'm obviously not expecting some fast pace action thing but is it like "Oh no, here is a locked door. Now I have to rewire three panels all across this station" kinda game or does it have a good flow?

Thud

As a self proclaimed elephant connoisseur I have to recommend:

TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT (75% off, €3.24)

header.jpg

It's a platformer with an elephant (tembo) and he's badass (like rambo). The whole game is like a bad 80's movie, but plays like Rambi from DKC if he had Sonic's homing attack and Yoshi's flutterjump. Tembo has a good mix of exploration and precise platforming, making it a good candidate for speedruns. :)

Syril

Does anyone have experience with Under Night In Birth Exe:Late? I've barely seen any mention of it anywhere, but I really like the style and it has a pretty good discount for a fighting game. Does it have much going for it if you don't have anyone to play it with?

owasog

This game really interests me.
How long is it? And how fast does it move? I'm obviously not expecting some fast pace action thing but is it like "Oh no, here is a locked door. Now I have to rewire three panels all across this station" kinda game or does it have a good flow?
I completed it in 12 hours. But I like to explore every nook and cranny and read every journal. Reading journals is kind of required to get some clues though from what I remember. It also has ....unique 'reconstruct the events' detective puzzles. If you tend to get stuck on these kind of things it will obviously be a 'slow' game. But it's not too hard, and the (prerendered) scenes on the different planets look gorgeous. Recommended.

The Novelist (80% off, €2.99)
header.jpg

Shape the fate of a family, like a fly on the wall.

A Story About My Uncle (85% off, €1.94)
header.jpg

Don't be deceived by the colorful cartoonish graphics, there are some very difficult platforming sections in this game.

The Park (60% off, €5.19)
header.jpg

No real puzzles, more of a horror walking sim. Nice creepy atmosphere though.

Top Bottom